2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I have to say I've already lost interest. The last two games were just unbearably stupid.

Sadly, you are not alone. They have to get the ship righted this homestand or their will be tons more joining you.

We used to go to quite a few games with my neighbors at the time back in the early 1980's and their dad and grand dad. The dad said if Seattle isn't out of the pennant race by May, it's a minor miracle. I hope they are not slipping back to the dark ages.

The Mariners have been in the dark ages for pretty much their entire existence. I'm not sure how we can really slip into it, when we have been living in it for 40 years. We have been to the playoffs four times. Four times in 40 years. Other than their run in the mid 90's to the early 2000's, the team has been horrible. We are most likely the worst franchise in MLB, and it would be hard to name 5 professional American sports franchises that are worst than the Mariners. I've said it many times, but we are the Browns of baseball.
    Last edited by Hawk-Lock on Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Been a fan since the beginning,I don't know that I have ever seen a M's team start off in this way.We know if they are this lousy come June/July it will be time to say goodbye to most of the talent and start the rebuild process.A new manager will also be likely,I wish they would hire Hoyer away from the Cubs to do this rebuild.I just don't have faith in these Angels castoffs in the FO.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Lets see what they can do on this homestand. I'm hoping for 6-3, anything below .500 is unacceptable.

It's becoming more clear to me that Paxton will likely be our best starting pitcher this season.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• This team cannot score with bases loaded. Once again bases chucked and no outs then strike out strike out pop up. Way to go

I stand corrected
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:Baseball is not Football and you can't watch them the same. Things will even out, it's just going to take time. For whatever reason this group just seems to start seasons slow (sound familiar to any other Seattle team? lol)

With that said last night was infuriating! I was yelling profanity at my TV and I'm sure my neighbors thought I was crazy haha. I missed a little bit of the 9th, can someone explain to me why the manager didn't pull Diaz after giving up 3 runs and clearly not being able to throw a strike? I didn't think our bullpen was emptied out yet was it? Was he just being stubborn?

Well, to be honest I don't think anybody else was ready. Hell, with a 6 run lead in the 9th, you don't expect to need many pitchers. Diaz has been good for us so far. I just hope this meltdown doesn't screw him up for any long period of time. That's the kind of game that'll get into a player's head, especially a young kid like him.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Lets see what they can do on this homestand. I'm hoping for 6-3, anything below .500 is unacceptable.

It's becoming more clear to me that Paxton will likely be our best starting pitcher this season.

Pax is the ace that we need to build around..Felix and Kumo are in their last years I think.I agree lets see how the homestand goes but unlike last year I just will not hang around hoping they will snap out of it
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Hanniger is looking like the steal of the Segura-Walker trade. Happened to look at Taijuan's stats today, pretty much what you can expect from him, 4.91 ERA through two games. So glad we got rid of him, that trade looks great for us as of now.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Hanniger is looking like the steal of the Segura-Walker trade. Happened to look at Taijuan's stats today, pretty much what you can expect from him, 4.91 ERA through two games. So glad we got rid of him, that trade looks great for us as of now.

Pax has been great so far. Felix and Kuma haven't been that bad, it's the rest of the team that let them down those starts.

Pitching was not too bad until that fiasco in LAA. :34853_doh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Hawk-Lock wrote:....... we are the Browns of baseball.

I think the correct phrase is: The Browns are the Mariners of football.
    * NET Staff *

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I have to say I've already lost interest. The last two games were just unbearably stupid.

Sadly, you are not alone. They have to get the ship righted this homestand or their will be tons more joining you.

We used to go to quite a few games with my neighbors at the time back in the early 1980's and their dad and grand dad. The dad said if Seattle isn't out of the pennant race by May, it's a minor miracle. I hope they are not slipping back to the dark ages.

The Mariners have been in the dark ages for pretty much their entire existence. I'm not sure how we can really slip into it, when we have been living in it for 40 years. We have been to the playoffs four times. Four times in 40 years. Other than their run in the mid 90's to the early 2000's, the team has been horrible. We are most likely the worst franchise in MLB, and it would be hard to name 5 professional American sports franchises that are worst than the Mariners. I've said it many times, but we are the Browns of baseball.

Trust me, I've lived their history, as a 8 year old that loved baseball I went to game 2 in 1977, and watched em get shut out 7-0.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• sutz wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Hanniger is looking like the steal of the Segura-Walker trade. Happened to look at Taijuan's stats today, pretty much what you can expect from him, 4.91 ERA through two games. So glad we got rid of him, that trade looks great for us as of now.

Pax has been great so far. Felix and Kuma haven't been that bad, it's the rest of the team that let them down those starts.

I'm glad I went. Pax dominated! Once the offense broke the seal and scored the hitting took off.
    I hope Segura isn't out long. The rookie Haniger looked good at the plate, and almost made an incredible catch into the wall.

All-around a well played game by Seattle today. :2thumbs:

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Hanniger is looking like the steal of the Segura-Walker trade. Happened to look at Taijuan's stats today, pretty much what you can expect from him, 4.91 ERA through two games. So glad we got rid of him, that trade looks great for us as of now.

I'm glad I went. Pax dominated! Once the offense broke the seal and scored the hitting took off.
    I hope Segura isn't out long. The rookie Haniger looked good at the plate, and almost made an incredible catch into the wall.

Glad you got to see a great home opener! This is the year Paxton becomes an all star and dominant lefty in the league. One step at a time, but the bats are beginning to come around too.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:

Glad you got to see a great home opener! This is the year Paxton becomes an all star and dominant lefty in the league. One step at a time, but the bats are beginning to come around too.

Thanks. I'm with you 100% on Pax, he just need to stay healthy.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Was a pretty good outing overall. Segura is a concern. Hate hammie injuries, they can linger for a long time, and as a shortstop, he needs those muscles for all the quick starts and stops. OTOH, Motter is no slouch for a young'un.

Crazy thing is, they kept 8 in the pen, now they are a bit short on everyday players. :34853_doh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

Nope you never heard of the 1995 season? It was the greatest season in MLB history, haven't you ever listened to any sports radio around hear?
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• Haniger has as many home runs this year as Martin does hits. Every MLB'er with a home run has more home runs than Martin does RBI's. Cespedes hit 3 dingers tonight. Martin has 3 hits all year. The only way is up, folks.

For the first time I'm starting to lose patience with Servais.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• I'm worried about the back end of the rotation. Miranda struggled last night, and his first outing could have been much worst if not for working out of some jams in Houston. Lets see what Gallardo can do tonight. Motter played well last night, hopefully he can keep that up while Segura is out. They had a chance to rally last night, but Cano and Cruz came up empty when they had their chances.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:I'm worried about the back end of the rotation. Miranda struggled last night, and his first outing could have been much worst if not for working out of some jams in Houston. Lets see what Gallardo can do tonight. Motter played well last night, hopefully he can keep that up while Segura is out. They had a chance to rally last night, but Cano and Cruz came up empty when they had their chances.

It's pretty sad that I've seen half of their total win count in person. :cry:

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Hawk-Lock wrote:I'm worried about the back end of the rotation. Miranda struggled last night, and his first outing could have been much worst if not for working out of some jams in Houston. Lets see what Gallardo can do tonight. Motter played well last night, hopefully he can keep that up while Segura is out. They had a chance to rally last night, but Cano and Cruz came up empty when they had their chances.

Motter looks like a really intriguing player-incredibly versatile. I'm not sure what to expect out of Gallardo this year. Our pen is of utmost concern at the moment. The bats should come around, especially when Segura is healthy.

I think Miranda will be alright. I love his stuff and movement and never underestimate the ability to work out of jams-it appears he has the ability to bear down for a little extra.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• This umpire tonight has been completely inconsistent. I can't wait for the day that they go electronic for balls and strikes.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Gallardo looks like what he is, a back end of the rotation starter. He was lucky to only give up two runs in that bases loaded jam. Smyly should help the rotation out when he returns, my guess is whoever is struggling the most between Gallardo and Miranda will get sent down.

LIke usual to start the season, some hitters look lost while others look good. Martin, Dyson and Valencia are really struggling right now. I expect Cruz to turn the corner soon. Right now, are two best hitters are Motter and Freeman. Who would have thought?

Up 5-0, now we are probably going to lose. The more I look at this team, the more I think pitching could be a problem. We are really depending on a bunch of older arms.
    Last edited by Hawk-Lock on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Oh good blew a 5 run lead. My heart....
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• This team is such a joke. Now down 7-5 because of a wild pitch. Would anyone really care if the Mariners left this town. Can we trade them to OKC and get the Sonics in return?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Holy hell they suck. Again, a season where we have expectations and fail to live up to them.

However, as much I hate them now, I would not want them to leave town.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Motter and Freeman look legit. Maybe we need a manager from Tacoma, some other guys with something to prove, and a new bullpen from another planet. And for the love of humanity... Get rid of Zunino.
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• This bullpen sucks. Remember the days when we had good pitching but couldn't score more than 3 runs? I kind of miss those days. I like the offense, but if I had to choose, give me great pitching to go along with this park over what we have now.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• im so sick of seeing stupid M's fans say "but zunino is a good catcher and Martin is good CF". Defense in baseball is not as important as in the NFL or NBA. You need guys that can hit and throw the damn baseball. It's amazing how new guys come right in and make an impact. Haniger, Motter, few others. Why not continue that with catcher and CF positions? Zunino and Martin are like the old nasty shirts you have hanging around but never wear them. Just get rid of them
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• For such high hopes, the M's just suck.
    How can their bullpen be so bad?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:This team is such a joke. Now down 7-5 because of a wild pitch. Would anyone really care if the Mariners left this town. Can we trade them to OKC and get the Sonics in return?

Throw in a 1st round Universal Sports Draft pick and you could have something!

Well we know Dipoto royally screwed up with his bullpen acquisitions this winter. But we also know he won't sit around and watch this debacle continue much longer. Expect several trades and releases within a month or 2.

I have a feeling we'll see several guys starting in the back end of the rotation this year. Gallardo "just doesn't have it" as my dad would say and the rest of the arms are becoming questionable at best.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Acording to fangraphs, the team has a BABIP of .251, an AVG of .209, and an OBP of .284. through 10 games.

Last year the Mariners had a BABIP of .297, AVG of .257, and OBP of .326.

Something's gotta give. Once Martin and Seager gets going, and Segura gets healthy again, I think things will turn on the right track.
    dumbrabbit
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:This team is such a joke. Now down 7-5 because of a wild pitch. Would anyone really care if the Mariners left this town. Can we trade them to OKC and get the Sonics in return?

Yes. A lot of people would.

That being said, I've never been this frustrated with a team this early in a season before. I'm usually very optimistic and very patient, especially when it comes to baseball and a 162 game season, but I'm really struggling with that this season. Maybe the M's finally broke me?
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• I think they'll get things going to get back in the mix but will probably fall short of the postseason again. And we can all point to April and the Astros. For whatever reason Houston has just owned this club recent years.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
    FearTheBeak
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:This team is such a joke. Now down 7-5 because of a wild pitch. Would anyone really care if the Mariners left this town. Can we trade them to OKC and get the Sonics in return?

Yes. A lot of people would.

That being said, I've never been this frustrated with a team this early in a season before. I'm usually very optimistic and very patient, especially when it comes to baseball and a 162 game season, but I'm really struggling with that this season. Maybe the M's finally broke me?

They have broke me (for now)

I just want competitive baseball to fill my Summer. Things need to change fast for that to happen.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

It truly amazes me how quickly people forget that this kind of logic is why the Sonics left in the first place, and why the Seahawks nearly left in 1996. Before this fickle region anointed every Friday a "Blue Friday," a random poll wouldn't have turned up 3 out of 10 Seahawks fans in this town. After the glory years of the '90s were over and Howard Schultz plunged the team into mediocrity no one cared and very few people went to the Key. If the Sonics came back, they'd be the darlings of the region for a year or two, then eventually the bloom would be off the rose and somewhere down the road people would volunteer them to get out of town as well.

In many ways I can see why a commissioner of any the leagues would ask, "Why the hell would I want to base a team in Seattle?" That is, if this is the perpetual behavior of our region.
    Kennedyin92
    NET Starter

• Kennedyin92 wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:This team is such a joke. Now down 7-5 because of a wild pitch. Would anyone really care if the Mariners left this town. Can we trade them to OKC and get the Sonics in return?

It truly amazes me how quickly people forget that this kind of logic is why the Sonics left in the first place, and why the Seahawks nearly left in 1996. Before this fickle region anointed every Friday a "Blue Friday," a random poll wouldn't have turned up 3 out of 10 Seahawks fans in this town. After the glory years of the '90s were over and Howard Schultz plunged the team into mediocrity no one cared and very few people went to the Key. If the Sonics came back, they'd be the darlings of the region for a year or two, then eventually the bloom would be off the rose and somewhere down the road people would volunteer them to get out of town as well.

In many ways I can see why a commissioner of any the leagues would ask, "Why the hell would I want to base a team in Seattle?" That is, if this is the perpetual behavior of our region.

I get what you are saying, but I disagree. The Sonics had a great history. They won an NBA championship, had made numerous playoff appearances, including three NBA Finals. It took the Hawks a while to make the SB, but they aren't the Mariners. Like I said earlier in this thread, the Mariners have been around for 40 years. They have made the playoffs four times. Once a decade you will get to see them make an appearance in the postseason. The Mariners are a laughing stock of baseball, no different than how everyone laughs at the Cleveland Browns or the Sacramento Kings. Obviously I was being sarcastic about them leaving, but my point is that they are a terrible franchise.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• I wonder if a change in ownership will bring about any change in philosophy?
    Kennedyin92
    NET Starter

• West TX Hawk wrote:

I have a feeling we'll see several guys starting in the back end of the rotation this year. Gallardo "just doesn't have it" as my dad would say and the rest of the arms are becoming questionable at best.

I can't believe DiPoto traded Smith for Gallardo. Smith was a valuable piece to this team. He not have been the ideal "athletic and speedy” outfielder, but he could hit, and he was a master at working the count. I put that trade up there with the Trumbo for Clevenger in terms of stupidity. Clevenger was a below average backup catcher. Gallardo was/is a declining starter coming off a career worst year, who is still struggling even as a end of the rotation guy.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• dumbrabbit wrote:Acording to fangraphs, the team has a BABIP of .251, an AVG of .209, and an OBP of .284. through 10 games.

Last year the Mariners had a BABIP of .297, AVG of .257, and OBP of .326.

Something's gotta give. Once Martin and Seager gets going, and Segura gets healthy again, I think things will turn on the right track.

I think you're right, but that ain't gonna fix the bullpen- which right now looks epically horrendous. Maybe they can sort it out, but I don't know how with the arms they have now.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• Tomorrow is a must win game. There's never been a team that started worse than 2-8 that made the playoffs.

On a positive note, I heard the Griffey statue is pretty cool.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• :snack:

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Kennedyin92 wrote:I wonder if a change in ownership will bring about any change in philosophy?

It has the change something. It is easy to see that no one fears being call out for putting out crap.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• Zunino you STINK!!!! Please hitch hike to Tacoma after the game. Bases loaded strike out and 1st n 2nd strikeout. Get lost.
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• So....Servais benches Martin for a night, but has the gall to put Valencia back in only to see him continue his best Martin impression. And Zunino for that matter, as well. Sad. Just sad.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• M's should be up by 4 or 5 runs right now. Instead were up one and Servis just pulled Felix after 85 pitches, I don't care if a leftie is coming back keep him in there.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• In the end, hey, they won. :D

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I'm impressed with Felix this year.I think he has learned how to pitch more with less if that makes sense.
    To the poster way above,defense matters!In games like last night and when the team is not hitting.
    To another poster about caring whether M's would move.That has already been tried(Think St.Pete)
    To Chapow.Your post is exactly how I have been feeling.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Already this year, and it's a pretty common scenario in the AL, is runners in 1st and 2nd with no one out and a free swinging player at the plate. Why not bunt them over?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:Already this year, and it's a pretty common scenario in the AL, is runners in 1st and 2nd with no one out and a free swinging player at the plate. Why not bunt them over?

I see this with NL(Cubs)games also..It makes no sense not to.Guys on 1st/2nd with no outs,there is no reason not to do it unless you simply cannot bunt.I'd be having those drills with every hitter
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Already this year, and it's a pretty common scenario in the AL, is runners in 1st and 2nd with no one out and a free swinging player at the plate. Why not bunt them over?

I see this with NL(Cubs)games also..It makes no sense not to.Guys on 1st/2nd with no outs,there is no reason not to do it unless you simply cannot bunt.I'd be having those drills with every hitter

Bunts are too much a gamble and the high majority of them are easy outs. I'd rather make the defense work to get the out.
    dumbrabbit
    NET Veteran

• dumbrabbit wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Already this year, and it's a pretty common scenario in the AL, is runners in 1st and 2nd with no one out and a free swinging player at the plate. Why not bunt them over?

Bunts are too much a gamble and the high majority of them are easy outs. I'd rather make the defense work to get the out.

The point is to move runners over even if the bunt leads to an out a 1st.The odds of run(s) scored with guys at 2nd/3rd are better with a hit or deep flyball and even a grounder in the right spot can lead to a run.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:32 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information