Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • With Segura back and on fire, I'm really looking forward to seeing this lineup when Haniger gets back. Motter's in a slump but if he comes around then we're down to just 3 weak spots in the order-Zunino/Ruiz, Dyson and Valencia/Vogelbach.

Heredia has been very impressive and Gamel is contributing too. There's still hope for the year!
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• 3 game win streak (well, OK, mini-streak ;))

won a road series against a div leader

couple of close wins in a row, Diaz living up to his hype right now

Should tamp down some of the D&Gers for a bit. :D
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:3 game win streak (well, OK, mini-streak ;))

Longest of the year! Maybe it's the start of something though.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:
    sutz wrote:3 game win streak (well, OK, mini-streak ;))

Longest of the year! Maybe it's the start of something though.

Rough first inning today, but Gallardo doing well after that. Still behind 1 run in the 7th.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Until this team gets better pitching, I don't see them making a playoff run. You can't try to outscore teams every night. They key is going to be Smyly. He needs to pitch really well when he comes back.

Curious to see how Motter looks over the next week or two. Was he nothing more than a mirage, or can he bounce back and prove that he is an everyday player? Good to see the middle of the lineup coming together. I wish we had this kind of hitting three years ago when we had the dominant pitching.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Dejong clearly is not ready or not good at all..You cannot tell me there are no pitchers out there better than this guy.
    I hated wasted games where you know it's almost like a for sure loss because you just want to stick a rookie who hasn't shown squat out there.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:Dejong clearly is not ready or not good at all..You cannot tell me there are no pitchers out there better than this guy.
    I hated wasted games where you know it's almost like a for sure loss because you just want to stick a rookie who hasn't shown squat out there.

None of those that pitched today are MLB level pitchers at this time.
    Time to start the Tacoma shuttle and see if there is anyone that can get outs.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• DeJong threw 4 scoreless innings against Houston. Not to argue how "ready" he is, but it's not like we haven't see him before. Yeah, putting a rookie out there against one of the best lineups in the league is probably gonna lead to a crappy oucome.

Better to do this now than wait until September. ;)

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Roster update:
    Fien DFA
    Vogelbach sent down
    RHPs Emilo Pagan and Jean Machi called up
    O'Malley transferred to the 60 day DL

Here's hoping Paxton will get us back on the right track tonight.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Not Buhner in the booth again!!! He is the worst
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• So Shoemaker is walking batters left and right and Valencia comes up to bat with the bases loaded and swings at the first pitch. Out. That's something that would happen in the McLOLndon era.

Servais maybe isn't as good as I thought.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:So Shoemaker is walking batters left and right and Valencia comes up to bat with the bases loaded and swings at the first pitch. Out. That's something that would happen in the McLOLndon era.

Servais maybe isn't as good as I thought.

He hit the ball as square as you can hit it unfortunately it was right at a guy. Not like he chased a breaking ball out of the zone.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Seahaaaawks wrote:Not Buhner in the booth again!!! He is the worst

Every Tuesday. :229031_shrug:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Valencia squared that one up though. 8)
    The guy needs to start hitting. Hopefully this breaks things open for him.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• sutz wrote:
    Seahaaaawks wrote:Not Buhner in the booth again!!! He is the worst

Every Tuesday. :229031_shrug:

Loved Bone as a player, but he is insufferable in the booth.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• There's our "closer if the future", throwing the game away. Diaz needs to be sent down. He's been awful so far this year :pukeface: Plus, Servais really needs to figure things. He really hasn't been impressive during his tenure here.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• THe season has just started so bad for these guys..FFFFF
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• This team sucks. Worst part is there isn't a bright future with this team. When the trade deadline rolls around, Dipoto may want to seriously think about moving some of the bigger pieces. You aren't making the playoffs with a bottom 5 pen and suspect starting pitching.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Thepeelsessions wrote:There's our "closer if the future", throwing the game away. Diaz needs to be sent down. He's been awful so far this year :pukeface: Plus, Servais really needs to figure things. He really hasn't been impressive during his tenure here.

I think one big problem with Diaz is he's falling in love with his slider way too much. Instead of challenging guys and throwing his fastball up and in, he's continually going low and away with his slider 50% of the time, trying to induce a ground ball. He's hanging the damn pitch. Use your fastball or lose it.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:This team sucks. Worst part is there isn't a bright future with this team. When the trade deadline rolls around, Dipoto may want to seriously think about moving some of the bigger pieces. You aren't making the playoffs with a bottom 5 pen and suspect starting pitching.

I want the rebuild to start sooner than later.It will hurt for a few drafts for sure but the cycle has to change away from what we have been seeing.I see two players to build around and one is a pitcher
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:There's our "closer if the future", throwing the game away. Diaz needs to be sent down. He's been awful so far this year :pukeface: Plus, Servais really needs to figure things. He really hasn't been impressive during his tenure here.

I think one big problem with Diaz is he's falling in love with his slider way too much. Instead of challenging guys and throwing his fastball up and in, he's continually going low and away with his slider 50% of the time, trying to induce a ground ball. He's hanging the damn pitch. Use your fastball or lose it.

This kind of reminds me of Arquimedes Caminero from last year. He started out hot, because he was kind of an unknown. After a couple weeks here in Seattle, he got too confident in his fastball because he could blow it by guys at 100+. It seemed like he had given up on his slider, and because a guy with a one pitch arsenal, which was hittable heat. Teams adjusted to it, and he continued to get lit up until he started seeing less PT.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:This team sucks. Worst part is there isn't a bright future with this team. When the trade deadline rolls around, Dipoto may want to seriously think about moving some of the bigger pieces. You aren't making the playoffs with a bottom 5 pen and suspect starting pitching.

I want the rebuild to start sooner than later.It will hurt for a few drafts for sure but the cycle has to change away from what we have been seeing.I see two players to build around and one is a pitcher

Either rebuild or go for it. This team is built to win right now. So either put some money into the team and help out the pitching staff or unload some of these big contracts. Honestly, I wouldn't even care if they renamed the team. I feel like this franchise just needs an entire makeover.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't even care if they renamed the team. I feel like this franchise just needs an entire makeover.

I could be down with that. I've always loved the old Pilots and Steelheads names. And the Steelheads uniforms are so simple and fresh. It's a great name and look.

I don't know, I've never been a huge fan of the sextant. And the trident is even worse.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• If we want to win, don't put the bullpen in!

81 pitches top 6 only gave up 2 runs and he takes Kuma out of the game? Gosh Service is a retard

And just like that the lead is gone. Great managing jackass!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• The pen with yet another blown lead. When will it ever end?
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• It's amazing to Me how he brings in a kid for his debut in a pressure cooker of a situation. Just throw him to the wolves eh Servais you mindless clueless worthless idiot of a manager! Ever herd of letting your starting pitcher go more than 5 1/3rd innings? Next time I go down to safeco I'm making a sign that says SERVAIS YOU SUCK. And Zunino too. And the bullpen. Rant over.
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• It's like a revolving door with the bullpen. Call someone up only to send them down days later. Might be time to trade a bat for a pitcher. I believe we have the second worst bullpen to Detroit, who has had an awful pen for years now.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• The problem is that this team doesn't have any spark. They don't have a fiery guy that makes people accountable for their actions. No one in the leadership role, everyone is too laid back.

Did anyone see that potential dust up when Maldanado got tagged running down the first base line? Nothing was even done other than the tag and Maldanado made a huge deal out of it.

They need to bring someone from the bullpen that is struggling the next time Maldanado comes up and drill him in the middle of the back. Show some sack. Maybe a good fight is what this team needs.
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

• And to think Mike Montgomery was once a Mariner. A versatile pitcher who could start and relieve, and do both well. Look at what he's done during his tenure in Chicago. That trade still chaps my hyde. The pen and Servais may be a big problem, but so is DiPoto.

Another thing, anybody know why Servais is so reluctant to play Motter lately? I mean a Danny Valencia is still Danny Valencia. He's still not producing at the plate. Motter has been. This is Shawn O'Malley vs. Ketel Marte all over again, sans the injury. Servais is foolish.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Kuma was pulled because he took a line drive off of his left leg/knee. He tried to go one more inning, but oops! He's yet to hit 90 pitches this year, though, so it seems he's basically a 5 inning pitcher any more.

Nice to see the bats get us the win back, and it looks maybe like Diaz is using his slider to good effect. Just don't throw it to Calhoun.

If we're gonna get that "spark" it looks like it will come from Segura and/or Dyson. Those guys seem to actually like to keep fighting.

Motter cooled off at the plate after his earlier hitting numbers. Still waiting on Valencia and Zunino to catch on at the plate. Val, at least, has career numbers that would indicate he will get better. Nino makes his living as a backstop, just wish he'd start hitting above the Mendoza line.

Nice win last night.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Kuma should have been pulled out of the game immediately or by the end of the 5th inning. It was clear he wasn't throwing as hard or as accurate after the shot to the knee and then to trot him back out there against the top/meat of the Angels' line up was stupid.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• JGfromtheNW wrote:Kuma should have been pulled out of the game immediately or by the end of the 5th inning. It was clear he wasn't throwing as hard or as accurate after the shot to the knee and then to trot him back out there against the top/meat of the Angels' line up was stupid.

Yep.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

• So... perusing the thread, sitting 12-16... (not bad, not good enough)

How much if this is line up (bullpen) and how much is game management
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:This team sucks. Worst part is there isn't a bright future with this team. When the trade deadline rolls around, Dipoto may want to seriously think about moving some of the bigger pieces. You aren't making the playoffs with a bottom 5 pen and suspect starting pitching.

Either rebuild or go for it. This team is built to win right now. So either put some money into the team and help out the pitching staff or unload some of these big contracts. Honestly, I wouldn't even care if they renamed the team. I feel like this franchise just needs an entire makeover.

That is funny about renaming the team.I was thinking the same thing a few days ago..I like the Pilots name myself.They were taken out of Seattle just like the Sonics by good ol Bud Selig..A new name might bring us better karma but then again it took the Cubs over 100 yrs to win it all..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Miranda is becoming a very solid 4 or 3 pitcher.. (knock on wood)
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Looking back on track. Great to see! Go M's
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Stat sheet is loaded with crooked numbers. but.... Zunino being Zunino. Has he ever had a stretch of like 2-3 games where he played well? It's like he has 1 good game every month (if that). When Haniger gets back, what do we do with Motter and Gamel?!
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Well, Valencia is regressing to his career mean, It looks like (.287 IIRC). If Zuni is the only hole in the batting order we can survive.

Sketchy start tonight for Miranda, but came around to finish 7 innings. Helps when the O is scoring in 5 or 6 different innings.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Maybe we should put Zunino in the #2 spot..seems to be a hitters mecca there.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:Well, Valencia is regressing to his career mean, It looks like (.287 IIRC). If Zuni is the only hole in the batting order we can survive.

Sketchy start tonight for Miranda, but came around to finish 7 innings. Helps when the O is scoring in 5 or 6 different innings.

Miranda tossed another gem. 7 innings, only 2 runs. 3.55 era for the year. He's doing very well.

Valencia is hitting .221 now and has had a pretty good week. Hopefully he continues so 1B is in order.

I tell ya, when Haniger comes back, you have to find a way to keep Gamel getting ABs the way he's been hitting. He's on a tear. Dyson is not. Heredia, Gamel and Haniger could be our 3 best OF options.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:Maybe we should put Zunino in the #2 spot..seems to be a hitters mecca there.

He's hitting .167 now. It's just getting ridiculous. How many more months is Dipoto going to put up with this? I can't believe there's not another half-decent catching prospect in the organization. Zucchini is just what he is-good defensive catcher, plus arm, and a "AAAA" hitter. He has not shown any indication he's going to improve his approach at the plate. Absolutely no discipline, still chases sliders off the plate and he has no real sense of the strike zone as a hitter.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Maybe we should put Zunino in the #2 spot..seems to be a hitters mecca there.

He's hitting .167 now. It's just getting ridiculous. How many more months is Dipoto going to put up with this? I can't believe there's not another half-decent catching prospect in the organization. Zucchini is just what he is-good defensive catcher, plus arm, and a "AAAA" hitter. He has not shown any indication he's going to improve his approach at the plate. Absolutely no discipline, still chases sliders off the plate and he has no real sense of the strike zone as a hitter.

Was just a little TIC, the way that our 2 hole hitters seem to have been hitting.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Maybe we should put Zunino in the #2 spot..seems to be a hitters mecca there.

Bad enough to miss Sucre, that's the level Zunino is playing at right now.
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:.... Zunino being Zunino. Has he ever had a stretch of like 2-3 games where he played well?

When he first got called back up last year he hit .286 with 3 home runs in his first four games and I thought maybe, just maybe, he'd finally turned the corner. After 26 games he was hitting .280 with 9 home runs and 21 RBI. And then he fell off the cliff.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Trenchbroom wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:

Bad enough to miss Sucre, that's the level Zunino is playing at right now.

Sucre was was/is better than Zunino.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Paxton to the 10-Day DL......................SUPER!!!!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• That is not good, especially with Paxton's injury history. Who is going to start? We will basically be down 3 starting pitchers (Felix, Smyly and Paxton). The offense is really going to have to pick up the slack over the next week. As much as I love Paxton, he is very hard to depend on.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Blitzer88 wrote:Paxton to the 10-Day DL......................SUPER!!!!

Fuuuuuuu...
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

• Every damn time this team gets the offense going, it loses a damn pitcher! GAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!
    "I want it! I hate losing!"
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

• Another roster move today. Zunino optioned to Tacoma, Gosewich called up. Ruiz and Tuffy at C now. Zunino needs extensive time in Tacoma. Like a solid year or two. Or the team just needs to move on. On another note, would it be crazy to try Motter at C?
    Last edited by Thepeelsessions on Fri May 05, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:06 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information