2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Happy Opening Day eve all!

Hoping for a magical season starting tomorrow.

Go M's!

sutz

Reaction score
They've definitely made some improvemenst, at least on papere. Smyly starting on the DL is a concern, especially with Felix and Kuma getting on in years. I was hoping we might get to let those guys rest every 5-6 starts during the season. Seems a bit less likely now.

Some good speed additions, and hopefully some bats.

Go Mariners!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Allow me to save you guys from the misery. They'll play just well enough to give you some false hope. Then they will fall short in the end.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Excited. Fun time of year and I think they have a good enough squad this year to challenge for the West crown

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":14pp232w said:
Allow me to save you guys from the misery. They'll play just well enough to give you some false hope. Then they will fall short in the end.

So no different than any team that just misses winning a championship. Great contribution...

getnasty

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2fw6swzf said:

Sounds like the Oregon Ducks

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This season is playoffs or bust for me. The only things that makes me hesitant about this years team is that the division is really good and that the Mariners usually under perform.

I like what we did this year by adding speed and defense. I think it comes down to the starting pitching and the bullpen. Offensively the big question mark is first base.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Go M's!!!I think this team may suprise people..

Atradees

Reaction score
First base is clearly a hole still. At least the ms were honest with themselves with the send down. All the other infield posted look great. So next year a great 1st baseman. Don't like platooning. It's gonna be a wild ride with all the hittin. Would like to see new young starters. Probably get an opportunity to find some with potential injuries to The Bear and Smiley. How that plays out will define us. I think Miranda fits the bill.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Uncle Si":36kgmvui said:
JSeahawks":36kgmvui said:

So no different than any team that just misses winning a championship. Great contribution...

Yeah, 'cept with the M's, it's been falling juuuuuuuust short of the playoffs. Teasing us all year at the chance to sneak into the playoffs, and then losing a few too many of the final games and coming up short. Just like the Seahawks for far too many years before the current regime came to town.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3egqeh4j said:
Go M's!!!I think this team may suprise people..

I'm a huge baseball fan and a long time baseball poster. In fact, I've been posting on baseball longer than I've been posting on the Seahawks. On Mariners forums, I go by the handle Mariner Analyst in case some of you and I might have rubbed elbows with one another in the past.

I completely agree with you that I have a funny feeling this particular M's team is going to sneak up on and surprise a lot of people. I love what Jerry Dipoto has done here this offseason in shoring up a lot of areas that were real weaknesses on this team last year. Not only has he improved the defense (especially up the middle) with the additions of Segura and Dyson ... but he has significantly upgraded the SPEED on this team. One of the biggest deficits that this team has had over the past several years since the departure of Ichiro ... is that we've not had a whole lot of real stolen base threats. The Mariners have been relegated to station to station baseball ... to relying on the home run to generate offense. I think fans are going to see an end to that (as they now have guys who are legitimate threats to swipe a bag) and a pretty exciting brand of baseball. JeDi has upgraded the bullpen ... and bolstered that starting rotation with better depth. As far as 1st Base being a potential hole -- Danny Valencia is a quality MLB bat and DJ Peterson is sitting right there in AAA (I fully expect to see him up in the Bigs with the club before the end of the season). If Drew Smyly can overcome his "soggy arm" and return to the form he showed here in Spring Training, then I really like the M's chances of ending their playoff drought this year. And if for some reason they don't, I don't see that as a slight against the team at all. After all, just look at the rest of the AL West. Top to bottom, that is honestly THE BEST division in baseball, as there are basically no cupcakes whatsoever. The Rangers, The Angels, The A's, and now even the Astros -- they're ALL very good baseball teams. I see the M's as being right there and think they WILL be in the hunt for October. Happy Opening Day People -- the annual day where optimism reigns supreme everywhere throughout all of baseball. Now -- PLAY BALL -- and Go M's!!!!

MA

Largent80

Reaction score
They are playing down the road from me, but I'll be recording from the tv.

I hope they beat Houston, and give em the broom.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Uncle Si":qyy3bnvt said:
JSeahawks":qyy3bnvt said:

Sadly, J is most likely right. But at some point we have to snap the streak. Longest playoff drought of any team in MLB belongs to us. I compare the Mariners to the Bills of the NFL. Excitement leading up to the season, followed by disappointment.

I think we will be good, but the AL looks tough this year. Cleveland should run away with their division. Boston should win the AL East. AL West seems up for grabs, but I think if you have to rank the teams we would be a close third. That leaves two wildcard spots. Toronto and whoever doesn't win the division between us, Texas and Houston will be fighting for two wildcard spots.

I say this every year, I go into the season with little to no expectations. I'm not sure if I consider myself a Mariners fan, but I do follow them closely. It's too painful to hope for something we have fallen short of the past 15 seasons. I like the direction the team is headed, but hate how small our window is.

Largent80

Reaction score
You need to put positive energy into every aspect.

If you look at paper the Red Sox win based on their aquisitions.

If you read the Daily Racing Form for the Kentucky Derby, the favorite always is appealing.

However, the favorite wins at 20% or less.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It's a long season and the Houston starter is a stud, but 3 hits????
Also Felix's fastball is batting practice quality at this point.
His other pitches are good.

He needs to start pitching "backwards". Houston was sitting on his fastball.

Only one game but a disappointing start.

I wouldn't feel as bad if they were hitting and scoring runs.

Latest posts