Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Yep. It's called small ball and coaches teach it since little league. Why they stop doing it in the bigs is beyond me. The cubs and giants are two teams that do this very well... and combined won 4 WS titles since 2010. Small ball works.
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• dumbrabbit wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Already this year, and it's a pretty common scenario in the AL, is runners in 1st and 2nd with no one out and a free swinging player at the plate. Why not bunt them over?

I see this with NL(Cubs)games also..It makes no sense not to.Guys on 1st/2nd with no outs,there is no reason not to do it unless you simply cannot bunt.I'd be having those drills with every hitter

Bunts are too much a gamble and the high majority of them are easy outs. I'd rather make the defense work to get the out.

I should have mentioned my question was rhetorical

Of course bunts are typically outs. Their purpose is to move runners. I wonder what the scoring percentages are for 2nd/3rd with one out versus 1st/2nd with no outs.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• I bet your odds of scoring 1 run go up quite a bit but your odds of a big inning definitely go down. For me it's all about who's at the plate and who's on deck.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• When Segura comes back, Servais should keep Motter in the line up some how. Swap either martin, valencia, dyson, or martin with Motter. Guy can hit. Don't know what positions on defense he can play though...CF?
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• getnasty wrote:I bet your odds of scoring 1 run go up quite a bit but your odds of a big inning definitely go down. For me it's all about who's at the plate and who's on deck.

That and maybe game situation. Sure would be nice to see the Ms scratch a run here or there when the game is early.

Saying this as the blast there way to a 5 run inning.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Crizilla wrote:When Segura comes back, Servais should keep Motter in the line up some how. Swap either martin, valencia, dyson, or martin with Motter. Guy can hit. Don't know what positions on defense he can play though...CF?

I thought he was a utility guy. Played all over in spring ball. Short is his natural position, from what I've heard. He's been pretty solid there while Segs has been out. Learning to work with Cano.

Motter can play almost anywhere. I think he's only a step or so slower than any of our outfielders.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I agree, we have got to find a way to keep Motter in the lineup when Segura comes back. He isn't going to keep this up the entire season, but we need to ride him until he cools off.

Paxton looks great, he needs to stay healthy and take over as the ace. The front of our rotation looks good, but I still worry about the back end with Gallardo and Miranda, and who knows with the bullpen. Great win today, lets get the sweep tomorrow.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Pax has been beasting all year!
    Saw him pitch Monday and he was ca$h money, and to watch him on TV pitch even better tonight, wow!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Hawk-Lock wrote:I agree, we have got to find a way to keep Motter in the lineup when Segura comes back. He isn't going to keep this up the entire season, but we need to ride him until he cools off.

Paxton looks great, he needs to stay healthy and take over as the ace. The front of our rotation looks good, but I still worry about the back end with Gallardo and Miranda, and who knows with the bullpen. Great win today, lets get the sweep tomorrow.

The BP had seen a bit of overuse until the last two games. Between Felix and Pax, they've gotten some rest. Hopefully that will help.

Would be great if Kuma can have a good outing tomorrow.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Hawk-Lock wrote:I agree, we have got to find a way to keep Motter in the lineup when Segura comes back. He isn't going to keep this up the entire season, but we need to ride him until he cools off.

Agreed. I'd love to see Servais be spontaneous and Slide Dyson into CF, put Motter in LF and option Martin to Tacoma (hopefully he's not out of options). Servais made the grave mistake of giving the starting SS job back to Marte last year, after O'Malley thrived as the starter. It was no coincidence the M's went something like 14-3 during that time. O'Malley was/is a clear upgrade offensively and defensively over Marte. That was made Crystal clear when Marte came back. O'malley did everything he could possibly do to keep that job, but Servais was being stubborn. It'll be interesting to see how he handles Martin's situation.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• SWEEP!

Record doesn't look all that bad anymore. Lets take care of business against the Marlins.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• After a couple days rest, the bullpen came through pretty well today (except for that HR Eddy gave up). Nice come from behind win for the sweep.

Can't give up on the team in mid-April. :laugh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• uploadfromtaptalk1492391386158.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1492391386158.jpg (45.2 KiB) Viewed 809 times
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• Martin did something useful for the FIRST time all year with that bunt single....

on a side note it looks like the trade with ARZ is working out for both teams. Haniger is legit. Soon to have his own bobble head night.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Awesome come back win today! Woohoo :irishdrinkers:
    Hopefully they can keep this up! Now they are looking like a ball club
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• I know it's early, but Mitch Haniger looks like he has he "IT factor".
    The guy has a good idea what to do at the plate, runs well, and plays great defense.
    That trade is looking real good for Seattle at the present moment.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Crizilla wrote:Martin did something useful for the FIRST time all year with that bunt single....

on a side note it looks like the trade with ARZ is working out for both teams. Haniger is legit. Soon to have his own bobble head night.

Well it's at least working out for us, while Walker is 1-1 with a 4.91 era.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:Martin did something useful for the FIRST time all year with that bunt single....

Well it's at least working out for us, while Walker is 1-1 with a 4.91 era.

Segura and Hanniger for Captain Inconsistency? Mariners are winning that trade. Arms for ML bats usually work out.

Here's looking at you Montero.......and Adam Jones. Nice to be on the winning side of a trade for once.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• Sports Hernia wrote:I know it's early, but Mitch Haniger looks like he has he "IT factor".
    The guy has a good idea what to do at the plate, runs well, and plays great defense.

Completely agree. Haniger is so refreshingly aggressive at the plate. He has all the tools and genuinely looks like a star in the making.

I'm really liking this Motter kid too. Can play every position and is really swinging well.

Lord help me, but I think there's hope for the year!
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:I know it's early, but Mitch Haniger looks like he has he "IT factor".

Completely agree. Haniger is so refreshingly aggressive at the plate. He has all the tools and genuinely looks like a star in the making.

I'm really liking this Motter kid too. Can play every position and is really swinging well.

Lord help me, but I think there's hope for the year!

Aggressive? I guess so, but that walk in the ninth to tie it showed epic patience and maturity. He did that and allowed the big hitters behind him (Cano, Cruz, and Seager) a shot with no outs. Gotta love that. So many young guys would have been flailing away at bad and marginal pitches trying to be the hero, and given up a double play.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Was just about to say the same thing. Haniger is a smart hitter, which means he knows when to be aggressive at the right time. This is what Zunino was suppose to be. The difference between the 2 when Haniger has only been with us for just a few games is incredible. But yeah I wouldn't label Haniger as an "aggressive hitter". Just smart. Already in the same category as Seager, Cano, and Cruz, IMO. The guy will be an All Star eventually.

He was called up mid August last year for ARZ. Is it still possible for him to win ROTY this year...?
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Haniger is indeed a very smart hitter who knows to be patient in the right situation but I love his approach to every at-bat where he's not afraid to look for his location first pitch and attack or to let it rip in a 3-1 count. He's aggressive in that sense and always looking to fully extend his arms and drive the ball. Just a fantastic player so far.

I echo the sentiments it looking like we came out on the better end of the trade.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• When Segura comes back.. there is no way they can sit Motter, absolutely no way.
    Kamcussion
    NET Starter

• Kamcussion wrote:When Segura comes back.. there is no way they can sit Motter, absolutely no way.

Completely agree. Motter can play anywhere-have him replace Martin for awhile or even Dyson. Neither of them are hitting worth a damn and Motter's been crushing it.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:
    Kamcussion wrote:When Segura comes back.. there is no way they can sit Motter, absolutely no way.

Completely agree. Motter can play anywhere-have him replace Martin for awhile or even Dyson. Neither of them are hitting worth a damn and Motter's been crushing it.

I'm thinking maybe Valencia better get his ass in gear. Motter could play first, too. ;)

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Crizilla wrote:Was just about to say the same thing. Haniger is a smart hitter, which means he knows when to be aggressive at the right time. This is what Zunino was suppose to be. The difference between the 2 when Haniger has only been with us for just a few games is incredible. But yeah I wouldn't label Haniger as an "aggressive hitter". Just smart. Already in the same category as Seager, Cano, and Cruz, IMO. The guy will be an All Star eventually.

He was called up mid August last year for ARZ. Is it still possible for him to win ROTY this year...?

Yes, he is still classified a rookie and can win that award this year.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• sutz wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:
    Kamcussion wrote:When Segura comes back.. there is no way they can sit Motter, absolutely no way.

I'm thinking maybe Valencia better get his ass in gear. Motter could play first, too. ;)

Motter has played his way into the everyday lineup IMHO. He might be that Darin Erstad/Mark McLemore type that will be in the line up everyday but at different positions. At this point I'd have no problems benching Valencia and playing Motter at first though.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Haniger and Motter are playing great so far.I like these type of suprises and both deserve to keep playing every day,
    The GM has made some good moves despite the ones I get mad about,nobody strikes gold every time.
    How about those M's?They got my attention again and please keep it up.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:

Motter has played his way into the everyday lineup IMHO. He might be that Darin Erstad/Mark McLemore type that will be in the line up everyday but at different positions. At this point I'd have no problems benching Valencia and playing Motter at first though.

And one thing to note: Motter played all over the field in Spring ball and I don't recall him playing poorly anywhere. He's got that core athleticism and smarts that lets him play anywhere. I sure hope it continues.

Having said that, the positions people have mentioned are places where you expect better offensive production than we've gotten: corner OF, first base, etc. Sure, it's early, but how long do we allow guys to hit below the Mendoza line before we make a move?

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I have to agree with what's been said about Motter and Haniger. I've been extremely impressed by both. The 2001 Mariners showed that in Mark McLemore, you can have success in playing a guy basically every day at different positions. I see Motter in very much the same light. Haniger is a guy that (to me) looks like a presence that this lineup hasn't had since Jay Buhner retired. Good defensive RF with good range, strong arm, and a quick powerful bat. Buhner was 6'3" and weighed in around 220 lbs. Haniger is 6'2" and 215 lbs -- so, fairly similar to Buhner in terms of build. Right after the Taijuan Walker deal was made, Jeff Sullivan wrote a compelling piece in which he asked the question, "Was the Jean Segura trade really the Mitch Haniger trade?" At this point in time, Sullivan is looking like he was right. If this team can get its bullpen figured out and stabilized, then I'm really liking the M's chances this year.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Perhaps One key to the bullpen is how the starters do. Take this past weekend. Felix and Pax turn in gems and go deep. So when Kuma laid an egg on Sunday, the bullpen ws rested and managed to keep us in the game til the offense could step up. It all works together.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:

This is what I would like to see happen when Segura is ready to come back. Put Motter at 1st and have Valencia take a seat in the dugout.

Personally, I would give both Martin and Dyson more time to see if they can put it together a little bit and start to contribute more offensively. IMO, Martin is an elite CF and I guess I value that more than most it seems. He also adds needed speed on the bases (I know, I know, it doesn't matter if he never gets on base). Dyson, man, he has elite speed and quickness on the bases. We've already seen what he can do in the very early going. He seems to be able to take a bag at will. If he gets on, he will almost certainly be in scoring position shortly.

So out of the 3 of Valencia, Martin, and Dyson, I feel like Valencia is contributing the least overall right now. However, he has averaged right about a .290 BA for the last 4 years straight, so he probably has the potential to contribute more at the plate than Martin or Dyson if he can regain his form of the last 4 years.

It's a tough call, but I think they have to find a way keep Motter in the lineup.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• And the fun part is that O'Malley is only a shade behind Motter in talent, can also play numerous positions and is a switch hitter. He really only got beat out by the numbers game, since we kept 8 in the pen. I expect to see him back up soon, too.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:And the fun part is that O'Malley is only a shade behind Motter in talent, can also play numerous positions and is a switch hitter. He really only got beat out by the numbers game, since we kept 8 in the pen. I expect to see him back up soon, too.

Not even that. He got beat by his appendix (it was appendix right??) he had surgery a few weeks b4 camp ended.

Although I wasn't wildly impressed by omalley last year....
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• Miranda sure threw a gem last night. Really excited about what he can bring this year in a full season.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Oh gosh... Buhner is coming into the booth in the 3rd. I can't stand listening to him. When he's in the booth he just talks about whatever is on his mind. Don't wanna hear it.
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Gallardo is horrible...how he even made the team is surprising. He sucked during spring training and has continued it so far this season. Weakest pitcher on team by a mile.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• hawkfan68 wrote:Gallardo is horrible...how he even made the team is surprising. He sucked during spring training and has continued it so far this season. Weakest pitcher on team by a mile.

It goes back to us not having a good farm system. Instead of calling up a young guy, we have to settle for a stop gap pitcher. Last year it was Karns and Miley, this year it is Gallardo. I wish we never gave up Elias, Montgomery or even LeBlanc. Once Smyly comes back, we probably won't see much of Gallardo.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Is this really going to happen tonight?

4-0 lead and they wouldn't let him finish? Ms better get a hit
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Phew.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Gallardo is horrible...how he even made the team is surprising. He sucked during spring training and has continued it so far this season. Weakest pitcher on team by a mile.

It goes back to us not having a good farm system. Instead of calling up a young guy, we have to settle for a stop gap pitcher. Last year it was Karns and Miley, this year it is Gallardo. I wish we never gave up Elias, Montgomery or even LeBlanc. Once Smyly comes back, we probably won't see much of Gallardo.

In order of worst to best, I'd say it's Miley, Karns, Gallardo. And I agree with you about Montgomery and LeBlanc (not so much Elias). Monty could've been a middle to late rotational guy, or even a long relief guy. The jury is still out on Vogelbach. Chicago won that trade.

I feel like DiPoto shuffles just to shuffle. From mid season to the final stretch, the most consistent pitchers last year were LeBlanc and Miranda. They kept putting the team in a position to win with their starts. Neither were particularly flashy, but they were dominant in their own right. It just blows my mind that LeBlanc was DFA'd and DiPoto pretty much had written Miranda off as a rotation pitcher in favor of Gallardo.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Feel like they've left alot of runs out there already.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Haniger.. steal of the M's history so far... can't wait to get Segura back.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:Haniger.. steal of the M's history so far... can't wait to get Segura back.

We got Bone for Ken Phelps

Randy Johnson for Mark Langston, even though Langston was an All-Star he was nowhere near the talent of Randy.

If Haniger surpasses both of those trades I will gladly accept it as the greatest.
    Joygazm
    NET Practice Squad

• Joygazm wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Haniger.. steal of the M's history so far... can't wait to get Segura back.

Randy Johnson for Mark Langston, even though Langston was an All-Star he was nowhere near the talent of Randy.

If Haniger surpasses both of those trades I will gladly accept it as the greatest.

Too early to tell but, I really like Haniger's hitting approach. He doesn't get overmatched, isn't afraid to walk, and let's the game come to him (doesn't overthink).

It will be interesting to see how he adjusts to the adjustments made by the pitchers, but the good
    Thing with him hitting second is the protection of the big bats behind him.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Joygazm wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Haniger.. steal of the M's history so far... can't wait to get Segura back.

Yeah, I have to agree with Joygazm and Sports Hernia here is saying that I DO like the trade thus far ... but believe it's WAYYYYY too early to conclude that.

In terms of trades, I'd have to say that the top 2 in M's history (as of right now) are:

2) Ken Phelps for Jay Buhner ... and

1) Mark Langston and Mike Campbell for Randy Johnson, Gene Harris, and Brian Holman (who started off well and would have been a very quality starter in his own right had drugs not ruined his career).

I agree the early returns on Haniger look great. Let's see if he still looks as dominant the 2nd and 3rd time through the AL -- once the pitchers start to study him, learn where his weak spots are, and how Haniger then adjusts to how they are then pitching to him. If Haniger is still dominating AL pitching 2 years from now ... then YEAH, I'd have to agree with you in saying that this trade right here may be the best in M's history.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Joygazm wrote:

OK OK.. :)

Got a little carried away, I can't argue the Buhner or Johnson trade..
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• This Altavilla guy needs to be sent down. Has he ever had a good outing? I mean every outing he struggles and basically allowed the game to get out of hand when he came in.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Blitzer88 wrote:This Altavilla guy needs to be sent down. Has he ever had a good outing? I mean every outing he struggles and basically allowed the game to get out of hand when he came in.

Both of the relievers tonight need to be sent out on the Tacoma shuttle.

With that being said..... games in Oakland for the Mariners seem to be like the Hawks when they play at the Rams
    Home stadium, a house of horrors, they can't catch a break and every mistake is magnified.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Blitzer88 wrote:This Altavilla guy needs to be sent down. Has he ever had a good outing? I mean every outing he struggles and basically allowed the game to get out of hand when he came in.

I guess the same can be said for Diaz and his 6.35 ERA over 5 games too. Altavilla hasn't been much better either, but the bullpen in general has been horrible this year. The best arms have been the Scrabble (rpcynzki?) Pazos, and Marshall. I guess Vincent too, which is so surprising. Scribner needs to go, but Altavilla is good. He's just going through I rough stretch
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:56 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information