Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Holy crap, that Judge kid for Yanks is one monster guy.. Just pulverizes the ball.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Servais blew that 8th inning. Why didn't we bunt? Way too aggressive. Should have scored at least 1 run.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Cripes! Is this team allergic to being above. 500? Friggin ridiculous.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Good news.. Haniger is back and can play today.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• I was kind of expecting they'd send Motter down. He hasn't been hitting shit for a week. Until he can learn to reach across the plate, he'll stay cold. He's been scouted and nobody is giving him that inside fastball any more.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:I was kind of expecting they'd send Motter down. He hasn't been hitting shit for a week. Until he can learn to reach across the plate, he'll stay cold. He's been scouted and nobody is giving him that inside fastball any more.

It's been a lot longer than just a week. Ever since his slam on Oakland, he's been ice cold. His slam against Tampa Bay was much ado about nothing. Man, I wish O'Malley was healthy.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Ex Mariners are killing the M's this series. Last night 3 hrs today J Happ blanked them thru 6.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• I have a bad feeling that this series will lead into yet another run of offensive ineptitude. J.A. Happ? Really? Unbelievable.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• The offense is irritating as hell to watch at times. Especially against someone like Happ.
    Hopefully it won't take Haniger too long to get his hitting legs back, and if they can get Segura back soon they will be more consistent.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:The offense is irritating as hell to watch at times. Especially against someone like Happ.
    Hopefully it won't take Haniger too long to get his hitting legs back, and if they can get Segura back soon they will be more consistent.

Yeah, it can be painful to watch sometimes. I'm starting to think that one of their problems is that they are constantly waiting for someone to 'get back.' It's June. Time to start winning now. ;)

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Well
    We're missing Segura,
    Cano's been rather slumping,
    Hanniger just got back today
    Seager has been so-so
    Motter is not hitting.
    Gamel and Heredia are just turning out to be back of the order single hitters
    Only person that has been keeping us in the last week has been Zunino.. but he's not going to stay that hot.

Hopefully, we'll start hitting again.. soooon.

Good news is, the bullpen has been lights out since about the 20th of May.. I think I read a 1.47 era since then.

Was a little disappointing to see Pax flounder today.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Just looked at the sked. Looks like no days off until the 26th. Long stretch with no rest. :les:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Bobblehead wrote:Well
    We're missing Segura,
    Seager has been so-so
    Motter is not hitting.
    Only person that has been keeping us in the last week has been Zunino.. but he's not going to stay that hot.

Good news is, the bullpen has been lights out since about the 20th of May.. I think I read a 1.47 era since then.

Definitely agree the pen is coming together. Diaz is back to his prior form, Altavilla is becoming lights out with a 100mph dominance, Vincent is ultra steady, Rzep and others are very solid.

Pax didn't have a good outing but even Cy Young winners have about 5 bad games or more a year. He'll be fine.

Regarding Gamel, I strongly disagree with you. He's been the one consistent bright spot in our lineup lately-he's hitting .327 with 9 doubles, 2 triples and 2 HR and was 3 for 4 yesterday. I don't think you could ask anything more from a contact hitter and a rookie no less. A few more ABs he'll be in the top 5 in the league in batting.
    Last edited by West TX Hawk on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:I was kind of expecting they'd send Motter down. He hasn't been hitting shit for a week. Until he can learn to reach across the plate, he'll stay cold. He's been scouted and nobody is giving him that inside fastball any more.

I completely agree. Motter is such a dead pull hitter and every team's scouting department has figured this out. Did you see his last AB yesterday?-Every single pitch was away and away. He's got to learn to go with the pitch and hit the other way or he's done.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Yeah not a great effort by Paxton last night. Not sure how this team lets weak pitchers look like Kershaw. Happ has been awful all season and he blanked us. Offense needs to pick it up as the pitching has been quite good. Felix had a really good second start in Tacoma. I think he is suppose to make one more rehab start and then rejoin the Mariners, so we should see him sometime next week. I'm not very surprised about Motter. He is a one trick pony type of hitter. Once the scouting report came out in him it was pretty obvious he is a utility guy.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Yeah not a great effort by Paxton last night. Not sure how this team lets weak pitchers look like Kershaw. Happ has been awful all season and he blanked us. Offense needs to pick it up as the pitching has been quite good. Felix had a really good second start in Tacoma. I think he is suppose to make one more rehab start and then rejoin the Mariners, so we should see him sometime next week. I'm not very surprised about Motter. He is a one trick pony type of hitter. Once the scouting report came out in him it was pretty obvious he is a utility guy.

Yeah, too bad about Motter. I wonder how O'Malley is doing.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• West TX Hawk wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Well
    We're missing Segura,
    Seager has been so-so
    Motter is not hitting.

Definitely agree the pen is coming together. Diaz is back to his prior form, Altavilla is becoming lights out with a 100mph dominance, Vincent is ultra steady, Rzep and others are very solid.

Pax didn't have a good outing but even Cy Young winners have about 5 bad games or more a year. He'll be fine.

Regarding Gamel, I strongly disagree with you. He's been the one consistent bright spot in our lineup lately-he's hitting .327 with 9 doubles, 2 triples and 2 HR and was 3 for 4 yesterday. I don't think you could ask anything more from a contact hitter and a rookie no less. A few more ABs he'll be in the top 5 in the league in batting.

Your right, about Gamal.. not sure what I was thinking... but still I think he'll bat somewhere in the back of the order when Segura comes back.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• I'll be damned if Gallardo is on the roster by this time next week. With Felix coming back, he should be DFA'd. 2-2 in the first against Minny. He doesn't even look like Tacoma Rainier material.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Welcome back Mitch. :)
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• I wonder if M's would do this
    Segura
    Gamel
    Haniger
    Cano
    Cruz

Welcome to the M's E White. Sounds like a Seahawk type of player that can play anywhere.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• that is why i love cruz

13 pitch walk. He could be a batting coach one day
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:I wonder if M's would do this
    Segura
    Gamel
    Haniger
    Cano
    Cruz

Welcome to the M's E White. Sounds like a Seahawk type of player that can play anywhere.

Yeah a 1st baseman with 5 tools. Read the Baseball America scouting report and they said he was 4.0 to first he might be able to knock that down to a 3.9. Watching a fast 1st basemen at the MLB level will seem odd.

Some scouts are saying he may project to the outfield while other are saying his defense is so good you should keep him at 1st, while others see him in a Erstad type role 1B/OF.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Be nice to save some of that slugging for other days, but, I guess you get em while you can.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• They usually struggle scoring the runs the night after they score a bunch for some reason,
    Let's hope that trend stops.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Mariners announce naming rights with Safeco not being renewed.

If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Thepeelsessions wrote:I have a bad feeling that this series will lead into yet another run of offensive ineptitude.

How bout now? 14 runs on 19 hits one day after your bad feeling...

Thepeelsessions wrote:J.A. Happ? Really? Unbelievable.

I guess you haven't noticed, but J.A. Happ has been pretty damn good since his short time with the M's. He won 20 games and finished 6th in AL Cy Young voting last season. He's most definitely not the scrub that you are implying he is.

Thepeelsessions wrote:I'll be damned if Gallardo is on the roster by this time next week. With Felix coming back, he should be DFA'd. 2-2 in the first against Minny. He doesn't even look like Tacoma Rainier material.

Damn man. Hopefully you watched the rest of the game. Gallardo settled down and had a pretty good outing after the 1st inning. Quite frankly, we'd probably be in even worse shape than we are without Gallardo. This team lost 80% of it's starting rotation. Felix, Pax, Kuma, Smyly, and Miranda. That was supposed to be our rotation. The M's have had to fill 4 of those spots with other guys for most of the season. Someone has to start games and when you lose so many guys at once, you're probably not going to be starting a bunch of studs. I don't think Gallardo is great, maybe not even good, but we could have done worse considering the situation this team was put in. You just seem so hypercritical of every single thing that doesn't go absolutely perfect with this team. Do you expect this team to have 9 quality starting pitchers? Do you think Gallardo would be part of the starting rotation if we hadn't lost 80% of it? Could you at least give these players and this team a little credit when they play well instead of only commenting when you're unhappy about something? Your only thoughts on a game they won 14-3 is that Gallardo sucks and should be DFA'd?

For the most part, this team has been playing awfully well lately. Try to enjoy it instead of focusing and obsessing on every little thing that doesn't go perfectly.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:I have a bad feeling that this series will lead into yet another run of offensive ineptitude.

How bout now? 14 runs on 19 hits one day after your bad feeling...

Thepeelsessions wrote:J.A. Happ? Really? Unbelievable.

I guess you haven't noticed, but J.A. Happ has been pretty damn good since his short time with the M's. He won 20 games and finished 6th in AL Cy Young voting last season. He's most definitely not the scrub that you are implying he is.

Thepeelsessions wrote:I'll be damned if Gallardo is on the roster by this time next week. With Felix coming back, he should be DFA'd. 2-2 in the first against Minny. He doesn't even look like Tacoma Rainier material.

Damn man. Hopefully you watched the rest of the game. Gallardo settled down and had a pretty good outing after the 1st inning. Quite frankly, we'd probably be in even worse shape than we are without Gallardo. This team lost 80% of it's starting rotation. Felix, Pax, Kuma, Smyly, and Miranda. That was supposed to be our rotation. The M's have had to fill 4 of those spots with other guys for most of the season. Someone has to start games and when you lose so many guys at once, you're probably not going to be starting a bunch of studs. I don't think Gallardo is great, maybe not even good, but we could have done worse considering the situation this team was put in. You just seem so hypercritical of every single thing that doesn't go absolutely perfect with this team. Do you expect this team to have 9 quality starting pitchers? Do you think Gallardo would be part of the starting rotation if we hadn't lost 80% of it? Could you at least give these players and this team a little credit when they play well instead of only commenting when you're unhappy about something? Your only thoughts on a game they won 14-3 is that Gallardo sucks and should be DFA'd?

For the most part, this team has been playing awfully well lately. Try to enjoy it instead of focusing and obsessing on every little thing that doesn't go perfectly.

Me only posting when the M's lose is completely false. Who cares what Happ did last year? He's been awful this year. 2017 Happ shutting out the Mariners should never happen. Going into that Game, his ERA was like 5.3, and he'd given up 8 HRs over 25 innings. I made that Gallardo comment in the first inning, when he'd just given up 2 runs without recording an out. Yes, I spoke too soon. And yes, that was probably his best start this year. But, given the circumstances, when you have guys like Bergman and Gaviglio stepping up and earning a role on this team and Gallardo the $11 million dollar man, squandering his opportunity, very badly, he deserves to be demoted. I'm thrilled this team is once again, a game below .500. And I'm thrilled that guys like Gamel, Haniger, Heredia, Z, Valencia, and most of the bullpen are putting their big boy pants on.

You and I never agree on much, so how about we just continue to agree to disagree.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Jason Churchill just tweeted out a really cool factoid that illustrates just how good Mike Zunino has been of late ...

How's that for a change, eh? Keep it up Zunino!! Hopefully this new and improved version will last. :2thumbs:
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• M's are going to win this game.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Hawkscanner wrote:Jason Churchill just tweeted out a really cool factoid that illustrates just how good Mike Zunino has been of late ...

How's that for a change, eh? Keep it up Zunino!! Hopefully this new and improved version will last. :2thumbs:

He's on a roll! Sure hope it continues. He's got a little more leg lift in his swing now and when he times it right, he blasts it. I think his hands are a little higher now too. Edgar has definitely influenced him as his swing resembles him more and more.

Unfortunately Bergman had his worst start of his career tonight.

On a random note, anyone else notice how well Dyson has been swinging lately? He's on a tear. I wonder if it'll be a straight platoon with him and Heredia now?
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:M's are going to win this game.

It's still early-keep chipping away and with our lineup now, they could certainly make it interesting.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

I guess that's how it goes when you have a bunch of young pitchers in the pen.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• M's are going to win this game.

..LOL, well maybe not.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Thats just bloody awful.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Well...that game was distasteful.

M's pitchers tonight (not counting Ruiz' courtesy inning) gave up 19 runs and 26 hits in 7 innings. Our offense got 14 hits and we still lost by 13 runs. Well that's not good.

Just move on to tomorrow. Gaviglio v. Ervin Santana. Should be a good one.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Mariners announce naming rights with Safeco not being renewed.

Hopefully the start to remove the stench of loser with this franchise. New owners, GM coach, coach in the last couple of years and now a new stadium name. I would love them to update the logo which is pretty uninspiring, heck at this point even renaming the team. For a team that's 40 plus years old, there's only been a few great seasons to talk about with the Mariners.

Feel like when the Seahawks updated their logo it was a kind of rebirth for the team. Hopefully the same can happen with the m's.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Just how good is Gamel at the lead off spot, it's going to be interesting when Segura comes back. He just seems to hit a lot better on the top of the order..
    Next thing you know, we're going to have Zunino behind Cruz.... nah, let sleeping dogs lie.

M's hoping Segura is back next week.. seems he's running and now taking batting practice... fantastic news.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Mariners announce naming rights with Safeco not being renewed.

Hopefully the start to remove the stench of loser with this franchise. New owners, GM coach, coach in the last couple of years and now a new stadium name. I would love them to update the logo which is pretty uninspiring, heck at this point even renaming the team. For a team that's 40 plus years old, there's only been a few great seasons to talk about with the Mariners.

Feel like when the Seahawks updated their logo it was a kind of rebirth for the team. Hopefully the same can happen with the m's.

What's not to like about the logo? It's history. Team tradition. It symbolizes Seattle baseball. I don't care if it's not inspiring or not, I love the S logo. I'm cool with Safeco field getting a name change though.
    dumbrabbit
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:Just how good is Gamel at the lead off spot, it's going to be interesting when Segura comes back. He just seems to hit a lot better on the top of the order..
    Next thing you know, we're going to have Zunino behind Cruz.... nah, let sleeping dogs lie.

M's hoping Segura is back next week.. seems he's running and now taking batting practice... fantastic news.

That's such good news about Segura! So promising he's ahead of schedule.

For the lineup when Segura's back, what would you think about Gamel hitting 2nd, Haniger 5th and dropping Seager to 6th? Valencia 7th, Zunino 8th, Heredia/Dyson 9th?

And a great win tonight! Bats came alive again. Miranda can get us the series win tomorrow. (Early game-10 Pacific, Noon central)
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Just how good is Gamel at the lead off spot, it's going to be interesting when Segura comes back. He just seems to hit a lot better on the top of the order..

For the lineup when Segura's back, what would you think about Gamel hitting 2nd, Haniger 5th and dropping Seager to 6th? Valencia 7th, Zunino 8th, Heredia/Dyson 9th?

And a great win tonight! Bats came alive again. Miranda can get us the series win tomorrow. (Early game-10 Pacific, Noon central)

You have to keep Haniger in the two spot. Guys been unbelievable there. you ride that out as long as possible.

Segura, Mitchy the kid, Cano, Cruz, Seags, Gamel, Valencia, Zunino, Dyson/Heredia
    That is one heck of a line up.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• gowazzu02 wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Just how good is Gamel at the lead off spot, it's going to be interesting when Segura comes back. He just seems to hit a lot better on the top of the order..

You have to keep Haniger in the two spot. Guys been unbelievable there. you ride that out as long as possible.

Segura, Mitchy the kid, Cano, Cruz, Seags, Gamel, Valencia, Zunino, Dyson/Heredia
    That is one heck of a line up.

Yeah, I understand, but do you see what Gamal is doing at the leadoff spot?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Good to see Mike Z tearing it up. He is on fire. They didn't play him today. So Ruiz goes 0 for 3 and sports a .200 avg.
    Typical M's...
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• hawkfan68 wrote:Good to see Mike Z tearing it up. He is on fire. They didn't play him today. So Ruiz goes 0 for 3 and sports a .200 avg.
    Typical M's...

Servais could've pinch hit Z for Ruiz in the 7th and have him catch 2 innings, but I'm guessing Servais gave Z the full rest day since it was an early game following a night game he caught and they have to travel today.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Good to see Mike Z tearing it up. He is on fire. They didn't play him today. So Ruiz goes 0 for 3 and sports a .200 avg.
    Typical M's...

Servais could've pinch hit Z for Ruiz in the 7th and have him catch 2 innings, but I'm guessing Servais gave Z the full rest day since it was an early game following a night game he caught and they have to travel today.

Very true. Z has a hot bat and hopefully the rest doesn't disrupt his roll. Considering they had some problems hitting and scoring in today's game.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• dumbrabbit wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Mariners announce naming rights with Safeco not being renewed.

What's not to like about the logo? It's history. Team tradition. It symbolizes Seattle baseball. I don't care if it's not inspiring or not, I love the S logo. I'm cool with Safeco field getting a name change though.

Meant the compass one rather than the S
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• hawkfan68 wrote:Good to see Mike Z tearing it up. He is on fire. They didn't play him today. So Ruiz goes 0 for 3 and sports a .200 avg.
    Typical M's...

Honest question, have you ever sat in a squat for 9 innings worth of time? Catchers NEED 1 maybe 2 games off a week. I don't care how hot his bat is. If you play a catcher day in and day out, especially the day game after a night game, your going to go blow through catchers.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• Sometimes we just suck.. Wake up Pax.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:Sometimes we just suck.. Wake up Pax.

It's concerning about Pax's drop in velocity as well as his command issues. Stottlemyre needs to get him back in sync quick.

It was great to see Zunino go with the pitch and hit to right field again today. He never would've done that last year. Very encouraging.

Gamel is just ultra impressive. Such a great compact swing and it was intriguing seeing him play a little 1B today. More flexible options.

Dyson continues his hot streak. Nice power today.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Anyone believe if we claw back to .500 by the break we trade Seager for a SP?

I think it's very interesting they tried Gamel at 1B a little today. Valencia has started over 70% of his career at 3B. So if they want to take a risk, trade Seager who's having mediocre production this season thus far, the position switches are quite plausible.

Why would a team be interested in Seager? He has a lengthy contract through '21 owing him an average of 14 mil+ per year, but he's still just 29 and has been steady his whole career. Some teams may be looking for a long term 3B option. To a team that has a short right field, he's more intriguing.

We're 3 games under .500 but if we want to give it a final push with this closing window, this could be a viable option.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:Anyone believe if we claw back to .500 by the break we trade Seager for a SP?

I think it's very interesting they tried Gamel at 1B a little today. Valencia has started over 70% of his career at 3B. So if they want to take a risk, trade Seager who's having mediocre production this season thus far, the position switches are quite plausible.

Why would a team be interested in Seager? He has a lengthy contract through '21 owing him an average of 14 mil+ per year, but he's still just 29 and has been steady his whole career. Some teams may be looking for a long term 3B option. To a team that has a short right field, he's more intriguing.

We're 3 games under .500 but if we want to give it a final push with this closing window, this could be a viable option.

That's a interesting thought.. I really like Seager as a person and player but... business is business. Don't the Yanks have a short right field and a need for a 3b? Don't know what kind of SP they have to offer though.

If that was the case, I wouldn't be surprised if the M's tried their new pick E White at 3b as well..seems like he would be a natural there.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information