Shifting epidemic in baseball

gowazzu02

Reaction score
So last night was the straw that broke the camels back. We shifted on AOKI off all dang people he burned us and we lost.

But even before that. Shifting is getting out of control. It seems all teams will shift every guy in the lineup now.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Until hitters show that they can beat the shift, expect to keep seeing it a lot.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Probably could just go in the Mariners thread, no?

chris98251

Reaction score
Teams always have shifted, it's just a more dramatic shift now, you shift to tendencies, a good hitter will just adjust to the shift.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1vut3kq9 said:
So last night was the straw that broke the camels back. We shifted on AOKI off all dang people he burned us and we lost.

But even before that. Shifting is getting out of control. It seems all teams will shift every guy in the lineup now.
I was thinking the same thing.
IMHO SS over uses the shift.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's the age of Sabermetrics.

Gone are the days of allowing your manager the freedom to feel out a game batter by batter and inning by inning, now there's entire data bases of stats over analyzed ad naseum that dictate what you do, thus "hey this guy pulls the ball 93.4444% of the time, so let's shift."

I was always OK with the minor shifting that has been around since the game was invented, but yes, now it's getting ridiculous.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
chris98251":1ojxmu3z said:
Teams always have shifted, it's just a more dramatic shift now, you shift to tendencies, a good hitter will just adjust to the shift.

Ugh what I get frustrated with is baseball which is my first sport love is losing more and more popularity. I want to throw up thinking that the NBA has passed it by.

The "make the hitters adjust" thinking is fine and dandy. Do you REALLY want your stars Robbie Canos, Nelson Cruz's, Harpers, Trouts etc etc etc trying to shoot a ball the other way? Not good for the game.

sutz

Reaction score
Have to agree. It seems the M's use it to excess, especially with men on base. The hole at 1st base is big enough already.

And leaving it open to bunt down the 3rd base line is kind of pathetic, too.

:34853_doh:

chris98251

Reaction score
What it will do if it gets popular is change how you approach it as a team and hitter, the big power guys will be around but not as many, you will get more Ichiro type hitters that can swat into holes they leave for if played straight up, would be outs or singles turning into triples and doubles so speed will be a factor also. Because player will have to chase the ball down.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
The trend making me sick are these stupid matte finish batting helmets.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":3dhk6dhl said:
The trend making me sick are these stupid matte finish batting helmets.
I think they look pretty slick. Now, the "northwest green" tops? Those are a different story

Latest posts