A few of my favorites:

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Hard to tell sorry, RW Superfractor from 2013 Topps Chrome 1/1
Five Star quotable with Matthew bible verse inscription /25
Julio contenders auto 1/1

sdog1981

Reaction score
I did well into high school in the 90's and I worked in a sports card store. They just seemed to release so many different types of cards by the early 2000's that it was hard to keep up.

Did you get your cards graded or did you get them that way?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Got a ton of old hockey cards going back to the latest 60s. Keep them around but they are worthless...

HawkGA

Reaction score
sdog1981":1kjumq33 said:
I did well into high school in the 90's and I worked in a sports card store. They just seemed to release so many different types of cards by the early 2000's that it was hard to keep up.

Did you get your cards graded or did you get them that way?

I did for a year or two but it happened to coincide with the year everybody and their uncle produced football cards. Okay, slight exaggeration. I did have a Walter Payton rookie card for a while though. My grandmother bought a shoebox full of old football cards at a garage sale and it was in there. Sadly, no idea what happened to it.

Had a pretty good Largent collection too. Had the second year, I believe. Never did get the rookie card.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Have Griffey and Jordan..There are others like my Largent rookie but I have nothing after the 90's

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I still have all my old football cards from the 80's....

Have a huge section of just Sehawks too, Largent, Rufus, Jacob Green, tons of cards from those great 80's team.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
For kids of the 80s like myself, baseball and football cards were huge. Lots of trading at school, buying the Beckett guide monthly, buying packs from 7-11 hoping to find that year's big card. Placing the valued ones in big albums alphabetically. Great memories. Still have all of them, including the '84 Topps complete football set and '85 Topps baseball set and many others.

Stopped in the mid 90s for the most part with an occasional few pack purchase every several years for nostalgia sake.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I used to collect quite a bit in the mid-80s to late 90s. I amassed a bit of a collection and have several that have some fairly good value. Here are my personal pride and joys (and no, they are most certainly NOT for sale) ...

Largent and Edgar Cards

Largent and Edgar signed both those for me ... and they're a permanent part of my collection 'til the day I die.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":37j1ipbl said:
I used to collect quite a bit in the mid-80s to late 90s. I amassed a bit of a collection and have several that have some fairly good value. Here are my personal pride and joys (and no, they are most certainly NOT for sale) ...

Largent and Edgar signed both those for me ... and they're a permanent part of my collection 'til the day I die.

Those are 2 classics right there! The ole '88 Fleer Edgar rookie card-haven't seen that in years. Thanks for sharing those.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1d8321z4 said:
Hawkscanner":1d8321z4 said:

Those are 2 classics right there! The ole '88 Fleer Edgar rookie card-haven't seen that in years. Thanks for sharing those.

I'll give you the brief story behind those particular signed cards ...

On the Edgar 1988 Fleer Rookie Card -- It was July 28, 2012. My son (4 years old at the time) and I were in little league that year (I was one of his coaches). We were one of many little leaguers who paraded across Safeco Field on Little League Day that year. It was also the day that Randy Johnson and Dan Wilson were inducted into the Mariners Hall of Fame. My cousin works for the Mariners as one of their concierges (she helps people with tickets find their seats), so my son and I decided to find her, as she happened to be working that day. She told me that many old ex-players were there in attendance and I remember remarking to her, "Man, I'd LOVE to bump into a guy like Buhner, Edgar, or Griffey" and she told me, "Eh, Don't get your hopes up. It's probably not going to happen." Well, 15 minutes later my son and I had just gotten on one of the elevators (just he and I) ... when all of sudden the elevator attendant said, "Well, Hello Mr. Martinez!" Edgar had gotten on the elevator with us. I was instantly like a little kid. I'd brought a lot of my old Mariners cards along with a sharpee for just such occasion. I boldly told Edgar, "Mr. Martinez, You were my favorite Mariner player growing up" (which was 100% true). I hate to ask you this, but would you mind signing this?" (and I handed him the card). Edgar responded very kindly, "Not at all." (and proceeded to sign it). After exchanging a few more words, he got off the elevator at the suite level.

On the Steve Largent 1977 Rookie Topps Card -- It was the Fall of 1990 and I was a Freshman attending Whitworth College in Spokane. Largent had just retired (I went to his final game there in the Kingdome) and the college that year had decided to hold a conference that they entitled simple -- Ethics in Athletics. Largent was invited to be the Keynote Speaker on opening night. [Strangely enough, the poster from that conference just so happened to disappear afterwards and somehow ended up in my personal collection. Hmmm.] Well, the conference didn't start until 7pm ... BUT, I showed up at 5pm, got right in and sat dead center front row -- right in front of the podium. It was awesome hearing and seeing my childhood hero that day. My favorite part was actually the Q&A part after his speech. I remember someone asked him, "Who was that guy that you hit and laid out there at the Kingdome?" With a smile that stretched from ear to ear, Steve responded, "You mean Mike Harden?" [Laughter from the entire audience -- everyone could tell that was a favorite memory] Someone asked a follow up question, "Did you know who it was at the time? Did you know who you were hitting?" Steve's response, "I ABSOLUTELY knew who it was ... and I hit him with absolutely everything I had!" After that, he had an autograph session that lasted about an hour or so. He signed his rookie card for me that day.

Those 2 cards right there ... are 2 of my personal sports treasures. They are not for sale at any price. I will have those until the day I die and plan to pass those on to my kids (who've heard many a story about each player).

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":6c35zo5a said:
West TX Hawk":6c35zo5a said:
Hawkscanner":6c35zo5a said:

I'll give you the brief story behind those particular signed cards ...

On the Edgar 1988 Fleer Rookie Card -- It was July 28, 2012. My son (4 years old at the time) and I were in little league that year (I was one of his coaches). We were one of many little leaguers who paraded across Safeco Field on Little League Day that year. It was also the day that Randy Johnson and Dan Wilson were inducted into the Mariners Hall of Fame. My cousin works for the Mariners as one of their concierges (she helps people with tickets find their seats), so my son and I decided to find her, as she happened to be working that day. She told me that many old ex-players were there in attendance and I remember remarking to her, "Man, I'd LOVE to bump into a guy like Buhner, Edgar, or Griffey" and she told me, "Eh, Don't get your hopes up. It's probably not going to happen." Well, 15 minutes later my son and I had just gotten on one of the elevators (just he and I) ... when all of sudden the elevator attendant said, "Well, Hello Mr. Martinez!" Edgar had gotten on the elevator with us. I was instantly like a little kid. I'd brought a lot of my old Mariners cards along with a sharpee for just such occasion. I boldly told Edgar, "Mr. Martinez, You were my favorite Mariner player growing up" (which was 100% true). I hate to ask you this, but would you mind signing this?" (and I handed him the card). Edgar responded very kindly, "Not at all." (and proceeded to sign it). After exchanging a few more words, he got off the elevator at the suite level.

On the Steve Largent 1977 Rookie Topps Card -- It was the Fall of 1990 and I was a Freshman attending Whitworth College in Spokane. Largent had just retired (I went to his final game there in the Kingdome) and the college that year had decided to hold a conference that they entitled simple -- Ethics in Athletics. Largent was invited to be the Keynote Speaker on opening night. [Strangely enough, the poster from that conference just so happened to disappear afterwards and somehow ended up in my personal collection. Hmmm.] Well, the conference didn't start until 7pm ... BUT, I showed up at 5pm, got right in and sat dead center front row -- right in front of the podium. It was awesome hearing and seeing my childhood hero that day. My favorite part was actually the Q&A part after his speech. I remember someone asked him, "Who was that guy that you hit and laid out there at the Kingdome?" With a smile that stretched from ear to ear, Steve responded, "You mean Mike Harden?" [Laughter from the entire audience -- everyone could tell that was a favorite memory] Someone asked a follow up question, "Did you know who it was at the time? Did you know who you were hitting?" Steve's response, "I ABSOLUTELY knew who it was ... and I hit him with absolutely everything I had!" After that, he had an autograph session that lasted about an hour or so. He signed his rookie card for me that day.

Those 2 cards right there ... are 2 of my personal sports treasures. They are not for sale at any price. I will have those until the day I die and plan to pass those on to my kids (who've heard many a story about each player).

Those are 2 wonderful stories Hawkscanner. When you have a personal connection to memorabilia is what makes it invaluable-the memory of the event more than anything. Your son will never forget meeting Edgar and that card.