Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Lavar Ball and the Lakers

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Fri May 19, 2017 10:55 am
  • Okay, let me first say that I can never keep track of which is the son and which is the father . . . Lavar is the father, right?

    He's made such a hubba buloo about Lonzo (is that the son?) going to the Lakers . . . do you think he scares off the Lakers? I could see them not wanting to have the sideshow that is Lavar constantly raining on their parade.

    Of course let me through out the caveat that I know really nothing about the players in the NBA draft or team needs.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105019
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Fri May 19, 2017 12:04 pm
  • I certainly wouldn't be excited about bringing the Lavar baggage to my team if I were them.
    "Whoever drafts Golden Tate is gonna win the Super Bowl" - Me
    User avatar
    Lithium
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2100
    Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:01 pm


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Fri May 19, 2017 1:48 pm
  • I think if there is one team and person that can handle him, it would be the Lakers and Magic Johnson. LA needs a big name to build around, and if they think he has the talent, they will take him. I personally have him as the third best PG in the draft, behind Fultz and Fox. I just don't see the hype with Ball. Yes he is a great passer, but this isn't the 90's anymore, you almost have to be able to score 20 points per game if you want to be considered a top 10 PG in the NBA now.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3477
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Sun May 21, 2017 4:05 am
  • I think it would be hilarious if the Lakers didn't take him.
    User avatar
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4972
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Mon May 22, 2017 12:53 am
  • The Lakers deserve Lavar Ball and all the distraction he brings with him.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1296
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Mon May 22, 2017 7:27 am
  • Lavar is everything wrong with sports parents who think it's all about them trying desperately to live vicariously through their children.

    The problem the Ball family is going to have is they're now in a no win situation, Ball HAS to become the next Jordan or James, there's literally no room for Ball to fail with as much as his idiot father has built him up. Any stumbles and he's going to be crucified.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12441
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Mon May 22, 2017 7:59 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Lavar is everything wrong with sports parents who think it's all about them trying desperately to live vicariously through their children.

    The problem the Ball family is going to have is they're now in a no win situation, Ball HAS to become the next Jordan or James, there's literally no room for Ball to fail with as much as his idiot father has built him up. Any stumbles and he's going to be crucified.



    Crucified , maybe a harsh word. Mocked, beaten down by the media? sure. But what does that really effect?

    Lavar Ball, like it or not. Is winning, Lonzo is about the be the 2nd or 3rd pick in the NBA, he will get 15 or so mill guarenteed. Ball set out to have NBA boys, he is a personal trainer and has trained all 3 boys from a very young age.

    Like him or most likely don't. He set out on a plan a long time ago and he's on the verge of seeing it through.
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1493
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Mon May 22, 2017 8:22 am
  • gowazzu02 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Lavar is everything wrong with sports parents who think it's all about them trying desperately to live vicariously through their children.

    The problem the Ball family is going to have is they're now in a no win situation, Ball HAS to become the next Jordan or James, there's literally no room for Ball to fail with as much as his idiot father has built him up. Any stumbles and he's going to be crucified.



    Crucified , maybe a harsh word. Mocked, beaten down by the media? sure. But what does that really effect?

    Lavar Ball, like it or not. Is winning, Lonzo is about the be the 2nd or 3rd pick in the NBA, he will get 15 or so mill guarenteed. Ball set out to have NBA boys, he is a personal trainer and has trained all 3 boys from a very young age.

    Like him or most likely don't. He set out on a plan a long time ago and he's on the verge of seeing it through.


    What plan is that? To generate negative publicity for his kid and get laughed off the internet for some ridiculously expensive shoes no one's buying?

    Lonzo's put in the work and has the talent, THAT'S why he's about to go #2 in the draft. His success has absolutely nothing to do with his annoying attention whoring father.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12441
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Mon May 22, 2017 4:38 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    gowazzu02 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Lavar is everything wrong with sports parents who think it's all about them trying desperately to live vicariously through their children.

    The problem the Ball family is going to have is they're now in a no win situation, Ball HAS to become the next Jordan or James, there's literally no room for Ball to fail with as much as his idiot father has built him up. Any stumbles and he's going to be crucified.



    Crucified , maybe a harsh word. Mocked, beaten down by the media? sure. But what does that really effect?

    Lavar Ball, like it or not. Is winning, Lonzo is about the be the 2nd or 3rd pick in the NBA, he will get 15 or so mill guarenteed. Ball set out to have NBA boys, he is a personal trainer and has trained all 3 boys from a very young age.

    Like him or most likely don't. He set out on a plan a long time ago and he's on the verge of seeing it through.


    What plan is that? To generate negative publicity for his kid and get laughed off the internet for some ridiculously expensive shoes no one's buying?

    Lonzo's put in the work and has the talent, THAT'S why he's about to go #2 in the draft. His success has absolutely nothing to do with his annoying attention whoring father.

    Michael Bennett bought Lavars shoes..
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1296
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Tue May 23, 2017 7:34 am
  • knownone wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    gowazzu02 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Lavar is everything wrong with sports parents who think it's all about them trying desperately to live vicariously through their children.

    The problem the Ball family is going to have is they're now in a no win situation, Ball HAS to become the next Jordan or James, there's literally no room for Ball to fail with as much as his idiot father has built him up. Any stumbles and he's going to be crucified.



    Crucified , maybe a harsh word. Mocked, beaten down by the media? sure. But what does that really effect?

    Lavar Ball, like it or not. Is winning, Lonzo is about the be the 2nd or 3rd pick in the NBA, he will get 15 or so mill guarenteed. Ball set out to have NBA boys, he is a personal trainer and has trained all 3 boys from a very young age.

    Like him or most likely don't. He set out on a plan a long time ago and he's on the verge of seeing it through.


    What plan is that? To generate negative publicity for his kid and get laughed off the internet for some ridiculously expensive shoes no one's buying?

    Lonzo's put in the work and has the talent, THAT'S why he's about to go #2 in the draft. His success has absolutely nothing to do with his annoying attention whoring father.

    Michael Bennett bought Lavars shoes..


    Cause he's immature.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12441
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Tue May 23, 2017 8:32 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    gowazzu02 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Lavar is everything wrong with sports parents who think it's all about them trying desperately to live vicariously through their children.

    The problem the Ball family is going to have is they're now in a no win situation, Ball HAS to become the next Jordan or James, there's literally no room for Ball to fail with as much as his idiot father has built him up. Any stumbles and he's going to be crucified.



    Crucified , maybe a harsh word. Mocked, beaten down by the media? sure. But what does that really effect?

    Lavar Ball, like it or not. Is winning, Lonzo is about the be the 2nd or 3rd pick in the NBA, he will get 15 or so mill guarenteed. Ball set out to have NBA boys, he is a personal trainer and has trained all 3 boys from a very young age.

    Like him or most likely don't. He set out on a plan a long time ago and he's on the verge of seeing it through.


    What plan is that? To generate negative publicity for his kid and get laughed off the internet for some ridiculously expensive shoes no one's buying?

    Lonzo's put in the work and has the talent, THAT'S why he's about to go #2 in the draft. His success has absolutely nothing to do with his annoying attention whoring father.


    I cringe at Lavar, but this take is just way off the mark. You see Lavar as some overzealous sports parent trying to relive the good ole days through their son.

    Lavar is trying to make money off his sons, not feel better about himself. He created an opportunity, branded it and now is trying to market it. He is far more an agent/promoter than a father in this.

    Time will tell if it works out.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12487
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Tue May 23, 2017 9:09 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    I cringe at Lavar, but this take is just way off the mark. You see Lavar as some overzealous sports parent trying to relive the good ole days through their son.

    Lavar is trying to make money off his sons, not feel better about himself. He created an opportunity, branded it and now is trying to market it. He is far more an agent/promoter than a father in this.

    Time will tell if it works out.


    Why can't it be both?

    You don't talk crap about being better than Michael Jordan if you're not trying to make this about yourself. Half of Ball's nonsense is indeed trying to build his son's brand, but the other half is absolutely about him and only him.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12441
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Tue May 23, 2017 9:10 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    I cringe at Lavar, but this take is just way off the mark. You see Lavar as some overzealous sports parent trying to relive the good ole days through their son.

    Lavar is trying to make money off his sons, not feel better about himself. He created an opportunity, branded it and now is trying to market it. He is far more an agent/promoter than a father in this.

    Time will tell if it works out.



    I wonder if he will turn out to be Todd Marinovich 2.0?
    User avatar
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1590
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Tue May 23, 2017 9:23 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    I cringe at Lavar, but this take is just way off the mark. You see Lavar as some overzealous sports parent trying to relive the good ole days through their son.

    Lavar is trying to make money off his sons, not feel better about himself. He created an opportunity, branded it and now is trying to market it. He is far more an agent/promoter than a father in this.

    Time will tell if it works out.


    Why can't it be both?

    You don't talk crap about being better than Michael Jordan if you're not trying to make this about yourself. Half of Ball's nonsense is indeed trying to build his son's brand, but the other half is absolutely about him and only him.


    About him making money. The more attention he gets, the more his brand sells. I think it's in the course description of every college marketing class.

    Not saying he's not an absolute ass. But he has alot more purpose behind his nonsense then just "i need my kids to be good because I want to feel good" as we see with most sports parents.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12487
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 am
  • Whether you like the father or not, he is smart. He has built a brand and gotten attention for his son. Even people who don't like him are talking about him. Look at this thread. If Lonzo does fall short of expectations, I think a lot of that will fall on his father. Lavar has been the bad guy the whole time, I don't see the media going after Lonzo if he doesn't meet expectations. I don't like to speak on other's parenting, so I'm not going to say he is a bad or good father. We only see what is shown on camera, but there are far worst parents out there than Lavar. It may seem like he is exploiting his sons, but from everything I've seen, he has always been there with them. There is also a good chance that once the kid gets signed to an NBA team, that he will tone it down quite a bit. At some point, whoever is writing the check to Lonzo, will have a discussion with his father. Lavar has always had the power, that won't be the case when his son is in the NBA.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3477
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Tue May 23, 2017 9:35 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    I cringe at Lavar, but this take is just way off the mark. You see Lavar as some overzealous sports parent trying to relive the good ole days through their son.

    Lavar is trying to make money off his sons, not feel better about himself. He created an opportunity, branded it and now is trying to market it. He is far more an agent/promoter than a father in this.

    Time will tell if it works out.


    Why can't it be both?

    You don't talk crap about being better than Michael Jordan if you're not trying to make this about yourself. Half of Ball's nonsense is indeed trying to build his son's brand, but the other half is absolutely about him and only him.


    About him making money. The more attention he gets, the more his brand sells. I think it's in the course description of every college marketing class.

    Not saying he's not an absolute ass. But he has alot more purpose behind his nonsense then just "i need my kids to be good because I want to feel good" as we see with most sports parents.


    Is he making money though?

    They've only sold like 200 pairs of his ridiculously overprices shoes, and I read half of those are the autographed ones bought by sports memorabilia sharks hoping to resell them for five times as much 10 years from now if Ball gets good.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12441
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Tue May 23, 2017 9:37 am
  • No, but i think the gamble here is that he can get one of the major shoe companies to buy him out.

    I mean I agree with you about his overall personality. I just think his motivations are a bit more calculated.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12487
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Wed May 24, 2017 12:14 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Cause he's immature.

    agreed.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1296
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Thu May 25, 2017 12:45 pm
  • Ball is a beautiful passer but he will make the Lakers even slower and worse on defense. Ball and Russell will form the slowest backcourt and worst perimeter defense in the league. On the other hand, his passing is artful and possibly revolutionary. He will maybe get a lot stronger and develop a mid-range game to exploit shorter guards. But for the first three years, he is essentially a young Shaun Livingston. His ego is also fragile and he tends to go into a shell when times get tough. Over time, perhaps Magic Johnson will trade Russell and groom Ball into a good player. I also foresee Ball becoming physically hurt and mentally broken during his rookie season. The criticism from the L.A. media will be intense.
    User avatar
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1054
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:44 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Thu May 25, 2017 2:41 pm
  • The mediots are enabling Lavar. If they were to ignore him, he would go away. No one heard of LaVar Ball 2 years ago. All of a sudden it seems he's the talk of the town. His annoying behavior is reaching Kardashian levels.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6767
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:50 am
  • 29 pts 11 boards 9 assists
    :141847_bnono:
    World champs sb48

    Aros wrote:

    Wait, MizzouHawkGal is a DUDE??
    User avatar
    hawksincebirth
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 421
    Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: mountlake terrace


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:03 am
  • hawksincebirth wrote:29 pts 11 boards 9 assists
    :141847_bnono:


    And he let his man get 28 pts, and the lakers D gave up 130 pts to a team Portland just beat by 48.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3299
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:48 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:
    hawksincebirth wrote:29 pts 11 boards 9 assists
    :141847_bnono:


    And he let his man get 28 pts, and the lakers D gave up 130 pts to a team Portland just beat by 48.



    Numbers taken out of context have no meaning. Just think of all the worthless triple-doubles that got put up last season by players on two average teams.
    User avatar
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1590
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:50 pm
  • Kids playing well.. with pressure on him. Numbers or not..
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12487
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:02 am
  • He really isn't playing well. He had 29 points against a horrible Suns team, in his other 4 games he has a combined 22 points. He simply can't score. You have to score the ball in the NBA. He is shooting 31% on the season. It's the equivalent of having a great fielding outfielder but he can only hit .200. Take out the PHX game and he is averaging 5.5 ppg, 8 rpg, 8 apg, and 21% from the field. Those are some awful stats.

    Personally, I think rebounding is an overall inflated stat for guards. If Lonzo doesn't get those 8 rebounds he's averaging, good chance most of those end up in his teammates hands. He just happens to get to it first. But when he shoots 2-11, that's 9 shots that don't go in. Likely 3-4 of those shots would have gone in if another player was shooting if you go by stats. This is the new age NBA, you need to be able to score the ball. I don't buy the, "oh he's a great passer." You have to be able to do more than pass. Opposing guards can rest on defense when guarding him, think how rested guys like Westbrook and Paul will be when they play him.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3477
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:14 am
  • Lillard out duels Ball 33-0.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3299
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:12 am
  • He is such a bust.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3477
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:56 pm


  • Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 3699
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:59 pm
  • Liangelo Ball and 2 of his UCLA teammates arrested in China for shoplifting during team trip.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/ ... gr%5Etweet

    Probably not the best country to be arrested in. Big Baller Bail Bonds coming soon.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23339
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:05 pm
  • With today soft defense and raining 3's ..I have no doubt he will be called a star.I feel sorry for all those who never got to see what a real star of the game was.
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3277
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:21 pm
  • I retract my earlier statement...

    he is NOT playing well.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12487
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:43 am
  • hawknation2017 wrote:Ball is a beautiful passer but he will make the Lakers even slower and worse on defense. Ball and Russell will form the slowest backcourt and worst perimeter defense in the league. On the other hand, his passing is artful and possibly revolutionary. He will maybe get a lot stronger and develop a mid-range game to exploit shorter guards. But for the first three years, he is essentially a young Shaun Livingston. His ego is also fragile and he tends to go into a shell when times get tough. Over time, perhaps Magic Johnson will trade Russell and groom Ball into a good player. I also foresee Ball becoming physically hurt and mentally broken during his rookie season. The criticism from the L.A. media will be intense.


    Wow, I totally forgot writing this . . . but it's played out as I originally expected. Magic even traded Russell.

    Kyle Kuzma was a steal though. He is way more NBA ready than Ball.
    User avatar
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1054
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:44 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:16 pm
  • hawknation2017 wrote:
    hawknation2017 wrote:Ball is a beautiful passer but he will make the Lakers even slower and worse on defense. Ball and Russell will form the slowest backcourt and worst perimeter defense in the league. On the other hand, his passing is artful and possibly revolutionary. He will maybe get a lot stronger and develop a mid-range game to exploit shorter guards. But for the first three years, he is essentially a young Shaun Livingston. His ego is also fragile and he tends to go into a shell when times get tough. Over time, perhaps Magic Johnson will trade Russell and groom Ball into a good player. I also foresee Ball becoming physically hurt and mentally broken during his rookie season. The criticism from the L.A. media will be intense.


    Wow, I totally forgot writing this . . . but it's played out as I originally expected. Magic even traded Russell.

    Kyle Kuzma was a steal though. He is way more NBA ready than Ball.


    Wow that is spot on.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3477
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Lavar Ball and the Lakers
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:55 am
  • Lavar and Donald are pretty similar, both speak on impulse. Once Lavar downplayed this whole situation I knew Trump would take the bait.



    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3477
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am




It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests