College basketball scandal

JSeahawks

Reaction score
So, this is going to get interesting. I think we all understand that college recruiting is gross but I think basketball is the worst of the worst, with middle men, handlers, AAU coaches, etc, etc. 10 people arrested including adidas global reps for steering kids to certain schools. 4 assistant coaches arrested, but interestingly none of them were from adidas schools.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... corruption

sdog1981

Reaction score
This is a big deal. This is not just my school is now on probation, these are crimes that can carry sentences of up to 20 years in prison.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Explains how USC got 2 of Seattle's best high school recruits or how Arizona always brings in a top 3 class every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Apparently this is two separate situations. One involving Adidas employees paying family members of high schoolers to direct the kids to schools that were sponsored by Adidas and another where the college coaches were taking bribes to steer their college players to specific financial/business managers.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Cool, this needed to happen. Would like an expaded probe into college football as well.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I got alerts on this story earlier this morning.

Very few details were available at the time.

Will definitely be interesting to see play out, and will most likely have a far reaching "ripple effect"

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
They've now subpoenaed Nike documents. By the time this is done Oregon State will be the only clean program in the country.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Dan Dorcek (espn) estimated that about 100 basketball programs (out of 320) would end up caught up in this.

86Hawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":12n2svrs said:
Dan Dorcek (espn) estimated that about 100 basketball programs (out of 320) would end up caught up in this.

Whoa. This is going to get ugly.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Outstanding. Arrest them all. They use these kids and throw them away like trash. Yeah, most of the D1 kids can get a "free" education.....but that is a pittance compared to what everyone else in the business is making. If they can afford to give some kid's family $100k, then how much are they really making?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2a7dpzyv said:
They've now subpoenaed Nike documents. By the time this is done Oregon State will be the only clean program in the country.
UW should come out clean,they suck enough right? :lol:

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2c3ek2ih said:
JSeahawks":2c3ek2ih said:
UW should come out clean,they suck enough right? :lol:

We'll see. Fultz and the Porters were both part of the Nike grass roots program that just got subpoenaed. Which doesn't automatically mean anything was dirty but I'm sure they'll be looked at. The Porters have the family connection but I'll admit to wondering how a kid from Maryland and one of the top recruits in the country (Fultz) ended up committing to a below average program on the west coast. In all honesty, I just assume everybody in college basketball, even more so than football, is dirty to a certain extent. At least if UW gets found guilty of something they'll be able to say it was from the old staff which is now gone.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah this isn't anything really new, but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Guys are going to roll and talk to get out of charges or less time. I wonder if Sean Miller will get fired, I think it looks pretty bad for him. Here is an article which talks about the specifics of Arizona landing one of their big recruits.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... richardson

I'm pretty sure Romar and UW are clean. The guy I would be a little worried about is our former assistant coach Chillious, just because he was very involved in AAU and he was a Nike guy. Porter was going to come here because his dad was given the assistant coaching job. Fultz came here because UW was the first to recruit him, before he ever became big. Now that all this news has come out, specifically about Arizona, I wonder if we lost out on certain recruits because of money. Trier and Aaron Gordon were considered near sure things to come to UW, and we lost both to Arizona. I'm curious about the two local Seattle kids, J'rron Brooks and Kevin Porter who are both signed to go to USC next season. USC's assistant was one of the original names that was brought up. With these schools likely facing punishment, I'm hoping they come back home to UW. In a weird way, if UW does in fact come back clean, this could help them out as we already know two Pac-12 schools are likely going to be in trouble, and wouldn't surprise me if Oregon is another.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3nosqmnq said:
Yeah this isn't anything really new, but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Guys are going to roll and talk to get out of charges or less time. I wonder if Sean Miller will get fired, I think it looks pretty bad for him. Here is an article which talks about the specifics of Arizona landing one of their big recruits.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... richardson

I'm pretty sure Romar and UW are clean. The guy I would be a little worried about is our former assistant coach Chillious, just because he was very involved in AAU and he was a Nike guy. Porter was going to come here because his dad was given the assistant coaching job. Fultz came here because UW was the first to recruit him, before he ever became big. Now that all this news has come out, specifically about Arizona, I wonder if we lost out on certain recruits because of money. Trier and Aaron Gordon were considered near sure things to come to UW, and we lost both to Arizona. I'm curious about the two local Seattle kids, J'rron Brooks and Kevin Porter who are both signed to go to USC next season. USC's assistant was one of the original names that was brought up. With these schools likely facing punishment, I'm hoping they come back home to UW. In a weird way, if UW does in fact come back clean, this could help them out as we already know two Pac-12 schools are likely going to be in trouble, and wouldn't surprise me if Oregon is another.

This thing isn't going to sink an individual school, it's going to sink the entire NCAA.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
But it won't. The FBI is now doing the NCAAs dirty work. This whole thing is just unraveling the darker side of recruiting that the head coaches simply pretend to be oblivious to. The NCAA will come in late with suspensions. But the system won't change (pay the athletes, let them negotiate on their own behalf)

Not sure why UW is involved in this thread (but J didn't miss the chance). Arizonas situation is quite telling. They're brought into this as a third party, with an rep and a coach discussing they would need to this much money to beat UofAs offer to a player. To me... that demonstrates how open this business really is.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1g24phe9 said:
But it won't. The FBI is now doing the NCAAs dirty work. This whole thing is just unraveling the darker side of recruiting that the head coaches simply pretend to be oblivious to. The NCAA will come in late with suspensions. But the system won't change (pay the athletes, let them negotiate on their own behalf)

Not sure why UW is involved in this thread (but J didn't miss the chance). Arizonas situation is quite telling. They're brought into this as a third party, with an rep and a coach discussing they would need to this much money to beat UofAs offer to a player. To me... that demonstrates how open this business really is.
JS was just answering my post in which I used UW.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2fnfaqtm said:
Uncle Si":2fnfaqtm said:

JS was just answering my post in which I used UW.

Yes, I demand an apology from Uncle Si for dragging my name through the mud!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ok ok.. the shot at J was a little uncalled for. My point though was that the Huskies hadn't even been hinted as involved.