Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

M's Off season, 2017-2018

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:20 pm

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:45 pm
  • lol here’s to another year of empty seats. Looks like it’s Dave Simms, Mike Blowers, and the couch for me this year. Cheaper anyways :34853_doh:
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:01 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:38 pm
  • Finally got the droid we were looking for.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:50 pm
  • I'll be honest, I've paid so little attention to the M's this offseason. I have absolutely no expectations. They just seem so old, they remind me of our Seahawk teams at the end of the Hasselback era.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:09 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I'll be honest, I've paid so little attention to the M's this offseason. I have absolutely no expectations. They just seem so old, they remind me of our Seahawk teams at the end of the Hasselback era.

I have zero hope..It is better this way so they can suprise me if they do well..
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:45 pm

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:10 pm

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:05 am

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:35 am

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:11 am
  • Wonder if we can by curse removal powder on Amazon. If so, someone order a truckload and deliver it to Surprise or wherever the Ms hold their spring training these days.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:49 pm
  • If I'm Servais I don't start Haniger. Man, that guy is struggling. I also start Vogelbach over Healy.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:12 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:If I'm Servais I don't start Haniger. Man, that guy is struggling. I also start Vogelbach over Healy.

So is Cruz, do you bench him?

Before he got hurt last year I don’t think I saw Haniger not “give away” one at bat. The kid had great knowledge of the strikezone and rarely chased pitches outside of it WHEN he was healthy. The guy is a star in this league in that lineup if he stays healthy. He started out hurt again in ST this year, hence the bad numbers.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:38 pm
  • I wouldn't bench Cruz because he's our best home run threat and he's not an every day, every at-bat guy anyway. He will get PH for, regardless. Plus, he's a DH.

RF and LF are wide open. If Motter, Heredia, and Gamel battle it out for LF, that leaves Haniger, Ichiro, and Amaral battling for RF. Haniger is putting up atrocious numbers this spring training. .244 OBP is pathetic and not even worth it. I see no reason to start him. Put in Ichiro or Amaral instead. Based on what I've seen from spring training so far I would go with:

1. Gordon
    2. Segura
    3. Cano
    4. Cruz
    5. Seager
    6. Vogelbach
    7. Ichiro/Amaral
    8. Zunino
    9. Motter

Then when Gamel is healthy, work him into either LF or RF over somebody else. Whoever is doing worst at the time. I think Haniger needs a whole new approach. Send him down. Give him the Zunino treatment. I'm not knocking the guy, I like him. But he never got out of that slump and then the injury happened. I feel for the guy.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:51 pm
  • Looks like Vogel will be on the bench and Healy is starting.
    I don't know, the way Zunino has improved, wouldn't bother me to see him hit after Seager.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:00 pm
  • I would guess that's because Healy is probably better at playing first base? Offensively speaking it makes no sense though. Vogelbach is out of his mind right now. Not a small sample size, either. He's got 50 at bats and his numbers are insane. A good way for Servais to get me angry early this season is if he starts Healy and Haniger and they both bat like crap.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:11 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:I wouldn't bench Cruz because he's our best home run threat and he's not an every day, every at-bat guy anyway. He will get PH for, regardless. Plus, he's a DH.

RF and LF are wide open. If Motter, Heredia, and Gamel battle it out for LF, that leaves Haniger, Ichiro, and Amaral battling for RF. Haniger is putting up atrocious numbers this spring training. .244 OBP is pathetic and not even worth it. I see no reason to start him. Put in Ichiro or Amaral instead. Based on what I've seen from spring training so far I would go with:

1. Gordon
    2. Segura
    3. Cano
    4. Cruz
    5. Seager
    6. Vogelbach
    7. Ichiro/Amaral
    8. Zunino
    9. Motter

Then when Gamel is healthy, work him into either LF or RF over somebody else. Whoever is doing worst at the time. I think Haniger needs a whole new approach. Send him down. Give him the Zunino treatment. I'm not knocking the guy, I like him. But he never got out of that slump and then the injury happened. I feel for the guy.

You are putting way too much stock in spring training numbers IMHO.

.282, 16hr, 47 rbi and 5 SB in only 369 AB’s that projects out nicely over a 162 game season. ...and thats a rookie season battling thru injuries.

His September/October numbers were .352, 7HR, 14 RBI.

Like I said the kid can rake when healthy. Like any young hitter he will struggle when his swing gets too long, but the potential he has is very good. He can be a major cog in the offense.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:11 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:I wouldn't bench Cruz because he's our best home run threat and he's not an every day, every at-bat guy anyway. He will get PH for, regardless. Plus, he's a DH.

1. Gordon
    2. Segura
    3. Cano
    4. Cruz
    5. Seager
    6. Vogelbach
    7. Ichiro/Amaral
    8. Zunino
    9. Motter

:2thumbs: You are putting way too much stock in spring training numbers IMHO.
    .282, 16hr, 47 rbi and 5 SB in only 369 AB’s that projects out nicely over a 162 game season. ...and thats a rookie season battling thru injuries.

His September/October numbers were .352, 7HR, 14 RBI.

Like I said the kid can rake when healthy. Like any young hitter he will struggle when his swing gets too long, but the potential he has is very good. He can be a major cog in the offense.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:47 am
  • As I've learned over the years, spring training stats are what they are. Meaningless.

Go M's
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:06 am
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:As I've learned over the years, spring training stats are what they are. Meaningless.

Go M's

Pre-season in any sport is always more about the players working on their game. In baseball you have guys tinkering with their swings at the same time they're trying to get the timing down against top level (well, mostly) pitching. New players are getting used to how their new teammates move around the field and how to sync in with them.

On top of that, coaches and managers are trying to get their guys playing time to get up to speed while trying to not overwork them and avoid injury as much as possible.

Dee Gordon stole what, about 3 bases all spring? We're hoping for more during the season given his history.

Obviously there are still some questions regarding the pitching staff, but it's kind of pointless to single out spring stats and predict what's gonna happen after the 29th.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:54 am
  • People actually pay attention to spring training? I don't think I can tell you who is doing well and who isn't. I pay zero attention to spring training as it simply doesn't matter.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:49 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:People actually pay attention to spring training? I don't think I can tell you who is doing well and who isn't. I pay zero attention to spring training as it simply doesn't matter.

I've watched a few games. It's entertainment, plus there are some new names on the roster to look at. But, yeah, it doesn't "mean" anything beyond how hard they play and such.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:19 pm
  • Ok Haniger. Prove to us your .162 BA and .244 OBP is just a pre season thing. I'll eat my words if it is.

(still think they should start Vogelbach)
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:12 am
  • Crizilla wrote:Ok Haniger. Prove to us your .162 BA and .244 OBP is just a pre season thing. I'll eat my words if it is.

He already did, last year. Check up thread, I provided the stats.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:15 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:Ok Haniger. Prove to us your .162 BA and .244 OBP is just a pre season thing. I'll eat my words if it is.

He already did, last year. Check up thread, I provided the stats.

Yeah, I'm not really worried about Haniger. His biggest question is: Can he survive the season without spending too much time on the DL? Give him some consistent ABs and he'll come around.

Late edit: And as for Voges? I think he may have earned a spot on the 24, but he hasn't really beat out Healy IMO. Healy is a proven vet who looks like a real upgrade at a position where we have been disappointed for many years.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:09 am
  • It was entertaining hearing Felix just OWN Jim Moore. Typical crap from Moore asking Felix if he will be the opening day starter. He has mentioned at least 50 times how it should be Paxson. As usual, he was WRONG, yet again.
    Felix starting in game 1. How Moore is on the radio is a huge mystery........
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:10 am
  • Haniger is a baller, spring training stats mean squat.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:27 am
  • The already old M's just got older. We added the former all star Jayson Werth. Now we can have all hair outfield with him, Gamel and Motter.

I don't mind the signing, but man are we old.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:28 pm
  • If you're a T-Mobile customer make sure you take advantage of the T-Mobile offer of a free MLB TV package that is available only today. Its is really easy to set up.

Edit: After further reading it looks like you have until April 2nd
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:54 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:It was entertaining hearing Felix just OWN Jim Moore. Typical crap from Moore asking Felix if he will be the opening day starter. He has mentioned at least 50 times how it should be Paxson. As usual, he was WRONG, yet again.

Since Sherm and Bennett are gone looks like Félix is Moore-on’s new target.
    I’m sure Moore-on is a terrific brown-noser, he certainly doesn’t have that gig due to talent or being a radio professional.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:17 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:The already old M's just got older. We added the former all star Jayson Werth. Now we can have all hair outfield with him, Gamel and Motter.

I don't mind the signing, but man are we old.

That is with what four players?Ichiro,Cano,Cruz and now Werth..
    Three of four will be gone after this year(Talking non pitchers btw)
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:22 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:It was entertaining hearing Felix just OWN Jim Moore. Typical crap from Moore asking Felix if he will be the opening day starter. He has mentioned at least 50 times how it should be Paxson. As usual, he was WRONG, yet again.

I’m sure Moore-on is a terrific brown-noser, he certainly doesn’t have that gig due to talent or being a radio professional.

What would opening day be without King Felix on the mound?
    Really the whole opening pitcher thing is silly..
    Rotations can always be adjusted through the season..
    I mean look at last year ha ha..
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:38 pm
  • Exactly. It's one game out of 162.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:49 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:It was entertaining hearing Felix just OWN Jim Moore. Typical crap from Moore asking Felix if he will be the opening day starter. He has mentioned at least 50 times how it should be Paxson. As usual, he was WRONG, yet again.

What would opening day be without King Felix on the mound?
    Really the whole opening pitcher thing is silly..
    Rotations can always be adjusted through the season..
    I mean look at last year ha ha..

Yeah I agree.

It worked out great for me last year though as the home opener here a week into the season I got to see Paxton make the world champion Astros look like little leaguers, beating them 7-0. 8)

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:49 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Exactly. It's one game out of 162.

Exactly.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:05 am
  • Projected wins... go
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:30 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Projected wins... go

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:58 pm

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:46 pm
  • Is anyone else bummed Emilio Pagan isn't here anymore? He had a really good year last year. I was excited for him this season, and then BOOM! He's gone.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:10 pm
  • 85 wins
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:12 pm
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:Is anyone else bummed Emilio Pagan isn't here anymore? He had a really good year last year. I was excited for him this season, and then BOOM! He's gone.

Where did he go?Did Pazos make it?I see that guy is like way up and down on walks/strikeouts but doesn't
    seem to give up many hits.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:43 pm

I'll go 81-81 for the M's this season.

AL West is loaded. The pitching isn't there yet to compete. I hate the AL West now that Houston is in it. Not fair to the M's to travel to 2 teams in Texas. AL West should be M's, Angels, A's, D-Backs, and Rangers. 4 of the 5 teams in the AL East are like right next to each other. Lame.

TB and Seattle are the 2 teams that got screwed over in terms of division placement. Of course it's not the main reason these teams haven't been historically great, but they really did get screwed over. MLB needs major changes, IMO. Division realignment, shorten regular season, get rid of Wild Card play-in game (make it a series), add salary cap, etc.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:32 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:Is anyone else bummed Emilio Pagan isn't here anymore? He had a really good year last year. I was excited for him this season, and then BOOM! He's gone.

Where did he go?Did Pazos make it?I see that guy is like way up and down on walks/strikeouts but doesn't
    seem to give up many hits.

Pagan was traded with another minor leaguer to Oakland for Healy. I guess time will tell, but I thought Pagan was quickly becoming a legitimate pitcher out of the pen.

Yep, Pazos is still here, and on the 25 man roster. He's good. He hit a rough patch late last year, but pitched well for most of the season. They just picked up LeBlanc again this week as well. So Pazos, LeBlanc, and "Scrabble" are the lefty relievers. On paper, the pen looks pretty solid.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:03 am
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:Is anyone else bummed Emilio Pagan isn't here anymore? He had a really good year last year. I was excited for him this season, and then BOOM! He's gone.

I know what you mean. Was a good solid guy you could throw out there and get some outs and seldom gave up a ton of runs. But like the rest of the pen, he got a little overused.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:40 am

World Series Champs

:irishdrinkers:
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:37 am
  • I'm usually over confident. But I'll go 80-82, and hope to be way off, in a good way :)

On another note, starting a 73 year old MEchiro tonight? Meh
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:48 am
  • I'll go with 77 wins. 5 games under .500 after they make a run from being 10 games under .500. Right out of the Mariners playbook.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:19 pm
  • Anyone know why we play today, have tomorrow off and then play the Indians on Saturday? Seems kind of weird.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:44 pm
  • Incredibly stupid scheduling to say the least.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:30 pm
  • It wouldn't shock me if the team won 70 games or 90 games, not really sure what to expect this season. I'll go ahead and say 83 wins.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:00 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information