Zags 2017/2018

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I thought with the loss of NWG, Zach Collins, and Karnowski there would be a huge drop off this year but they are showing some encouraging signs so far this year.
I don't expect a serious championship run, but I feel this team has the talent for sweet 16 or better. Jacob Larsen has the post size to be a force(especially defensively not expecting much offensively) if he develops this year and the defense will be a strength once again this year.
Lots of guys can shoot the the three and Cory Kispert has been a real nice freshman surprise. We are long, athletic, and can shoot the three. Tillie and JW3 both are decent in the post but nothing like Karno as far as back to the basket presence nor do they pass as well as Karno out of the post.
All in all I have been pleasantly surprised so far. Big test tonight vs Florida a top 5 team that shoots the lights out. Our guards will be tested for sure.

Crizilla

Reaction score
i'll never get over the robbery of a championship in last years title game. I thought it was worse than SBXL. But I do like what I'm seeing so far from the Zags this year. They have Williams and Perkins still. Hoping for another Final Four run!

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags had a good showing against Florida and should have won had Melson simply hit a free throw but it was not to be. Hudson from Florida was incredible and kept hitting three after three with defenders right in his grill. It was amazing.
This Zag team is for real but not nearly as deep as it was last year.
We need a back up point guard badly. Either Jesse Wade or Norvel need to be developed in this area (most likely Wade).

We are very young in a lot of spots, so lots of room for growth, but this team is fully capable of competing for a final four spot. Something I never thought I would say this year.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
That game against Florida was one of the better college basketball games you can watch.

Zags will be good, but not on the same level as last seasons team. They don't have that guy who can take over games like they have had in the past.

As a UW fan, I was hoping we would land Kispert, he will become a really solid piece for the Zags for years.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Big game Tuesday night against Villanova. Most likely our toughest opponent all year. I don't like this match up for us as they shoot the three very well and our defense is vulnerable to the three but stifling in the paint.
Their offense is geared for penetrating and kicking to the open three and not so much post oriented. I think we lose to them on what will be pretty much a home game for them.
Only way I see us winning is if we are hot from three as well and win a shootout. Which isn't out of the realm of possibility. I'm not saying our defense is poor because it isn't but this is just a bad match up for us.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Big loss to a good team. Way too many turnovers. JW3 pushes too much and turns it over often. Villanova is very physical and a well coached team. Fun team to watch play.
Hopefully Kispert comes back soon as we are a thin team this year without him. Good news is Norvell is getting some experience out of it which will help his development.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I had a big bet on Nova in that game. When I watch Nova play, they are like the Patriots of college basketball. They do everything right. They always make the extra pass, they don't make mistakes, and they play great defense.

Zags are good, but Nova is a great team. IMO Nova can win it all, they are a real championship contender. Not sure Zags are in that same category. Zags are a tier below the great college basketball teams right now. Until Perkins shows he can be a real leader, I don't see this team going a long ways. The one guy I have been really impressed with is Norvell Jr, that kid is going to be a great player.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I don't disagree with your assessment at all. Villanova is so well coached. I still think this Zag team has a lot of room for growth this year though. Only problem is they just don't have a lot of challenging games in conference. Maybe 4 total. It does however look like the Huskies found someone who can actually coach so the game Sunday should be an interesting one.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Huskies v Zags might actually be competitive this year. Should be a fun game on Sunday with the Dawgs coming off a big win over Kansas.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to the game this weekend. I'm hoping fans show up instead of a half empty arena. Tough to say if fans will be invested after beating Kansas earlier this week.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Total domination from start to finish. I hope perkins and Larsen are ok.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Man, Huskies got destroyed. Looking forward to see how coach Hopkins adjusts for future similar matchups.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
It is still very much a rebuilding season for UW, don't get mistaken by the upset over Kansas. UW will still likely finish near the bottom of the Pac-12.

Zags are a solid team, but they kind of blew their chances in the non conference schedule. The Florida loss doesn't look as good anymore after they lost three straight, and they weren't even competitive against Nova. Even if they go undefeated in the WCC, I think they are probably a five seed at best in the NCAA tournament.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I still think this UW team could be a tournament team in the end. We will see.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":ywroijxt said:
It is still very much a rebuilding season for UW, don't get mistaken by the upset over Kansas. UW will still likely finish near the bottom of the Pac-12.

Zags are a solid team, but they kind of blew their chances in the non conference schedule. The Florida loss doesn't look as good anymore after they lost three straight, and they weren't even competitive against Nova. Even if they go undefeated in the WCC, I think they are probably a five seed at best in the NCAA tournament.
They lost to the top team in the nation. With a key starter out. This is not the kind of loss that knocks them out of a top seed nor was the overtime loss to Florida.
I remember you claiming last year there was no way the Zags get a 1 seed and lo and behold they did. I also remember you poo pooing the Zags all last year as good not great. This Zag team is in gact good not great so far this year (last years was a great team). I do think this team has a LOT of room to grow though. Larsen is improving every game, Zach Norvell is talented but still has a long ways to go, Cory Kispert is just a freshman with just as much room to grow.

Depending on Perkins health and play this years Zags has a chance to be a really really good team come tourney time and if they win out a 1 seed is very much a possibility. A 5 seed after winning out is an absurd notion(not that I think they will but going off that assumption).

Edit: Forgot Rui somehow. He has enormous potential as well. For now thats all it is though. He has a long way to go and I doubt he makes a jump this year.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Natethegreat":vqnltjy9 said:
Hawk-Lock":vqnltjy9 said:

They lost to the top team in the nation. With a key starter out. This is not the kind of loss that knocks them out of a top seed nor was the overtime loss to Florida.
I remember you claiming last year there was no way the Zags get a 1 seed and lo and behold they did. I also remember you poo pooing the Zags all last year as good not great. This Zag team is in gact good not great so far this year (last years was a great team). I do think this team has a LOT of room to grow though. Larsen is improving every game, Zach Norvell is talented but still has a long ways to go, Cory Kispert is just a freshman with just as much room to grow.

Depending on Perkins health and play this years Zags has a chance to be a really really good team come tourney time and if they win out a 1 seed is very much a possibility. A 5 seed after winning out is an absurd notion(not that I think they will but going off that assumption).

Edit: Forgot Rui somehow. He has enormous potential as well. For now thats all it is though. He has a long way to go and I doubt he makes a jump this year.

The Zags are a really good team, they'll be in the top 25 all season. But they likely won't have a top 25 win all season. If you ask most Zag fans, I think they were hoping to split with either Florida or Nova. Texas could surprise, so we'll see how nice that win looks in a couple months.

I was tough on the Zags last year and I was wrong. They obviously aren't as stacked as last season but they'll be fine. I think Perkins is the key. If he can step his game up and become the leader on the floor, then they can make a run in the tournament.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Tough loss to SDS. This team really struggling with getting their offensive identity together. Could really use a true ball handler on offense. Just too many stupid turnovers.

The good is they definitely have some shooters and the WCC is it's usual crapfast, so they have time to work things out. This team could go deep in the tourney, or be 1 and done. At this point no one could possible know.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
It's very clear to me this teams success rests on Perkins shoulders.
Perkins and Melson were horiffically bad last night. The turnover problem may be an issue all year. If they take care of the ball they are very good.