Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seattle Sounders 2018 Season

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Seattle Sounders 2018 Season
Wed May 02, 2018 1:16 pm
  • Smurf wrote:Lagerway today said we plan on making a 8 digit investment in a player during the summer window and to add another piece during that window as well.

Transfer window is officially closed, so this is what we got until the summer window.

I doubt this considering he also just said that Seattle could no longer afford to be one of the big spenders in MLS.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed May 02, 2018 3:22 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Lagerway today said we plan on making a 8 digit investment in a player during the summer window and to add another piece during that window as well.

Transfer window is officially closed, so this is what we got until the summer window.

I doubt this considering he also just said that Seattle could no longer afford to be one of the big spenders in MLS.

Part of his $10 million investment statement was a retraction of his "big spenders" comment.

I'm thinking that one of the owners, probably Joe Roth, came down hard on Garth for that comment.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed May 02, 2018 4:10 pm
  • I think it's more along the lines of Garth counting transfer fee plus total salary for those 8 figures. I'm picturing his "big signing" being $4 million transfer fee + $6 million over four years .
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu May 03, 2018 7:56 am
  • I get why Lagerwey maybe showed a little frustration with some of the front office and fan criticism with his comments.

1. It was a dumb comment to make. No one inside or outside the organization wants to hear that you're pulling back on spending, especially for a club that's done nothing since day one other than yell from the mountain tops that they fancy themselves as aspiring to be one of the biggest clubs on the planet.

2. I have no problem with waiting for the summer transfer window. But that doesn't excuse some serious shortsightedness on Lagerway's part to not sign a quality outside back this past off season.

All the depth we added was at midfield and CB. Yes, no one could have seen the Morris injury coming, but that doesn't excuse going into the season with two mediocre to terrible outside backs with Nouhou and Leerdam. We knew Jones was leaving for over a year, should have found a quality replacement at least at ONE of the outside back spots.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 03, 2018 2:14 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:I think it's more along the lines of Garth counting transfer fee plus total salary for those 8 figures. I'm picturing his "big signing" being $4 million transfer fee + $6 million over four years .

^^^^^^^ That's Nico Lodeiro FWIW.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu May 03, 2018 2:21 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I get why Lagerwey maybe showed a little frustration with some of the front office and fan criticism with his comments.

1. It was a dumb comment to make. No one inside or outside the organization wants to hear that you're pulling back on spending, especially for a club that's done nothing since day one other than yell from the mountain tops that they fancy themselves as aspiring to be one of the biggest clubs on the planet.

2. I have no problem with waiting for the summer transfer window. But that doesn't excuse some serious shortsightedness on Lagerway's part to not sign a quality outside back this past off season.

All the depth we added was at midfield and CB. Yes, no one could have seen the Morris injury coming, but that doesn't excuse going into the season with two mediocre to terrible outside backs with Nouhou and Leerdam. We knew Jones was leaving for over a year, should have found a quality replacement at least at ONE of the outside back spots.

You're opinion on Leerdam has me absolutely perplexed.

He improves our team so much. We are so much better with him than we are without.

Nouhou is a young player who has a lot of raw talent, but doesn't always play smart. So i can see people's frustration in him...but Leerdam man....that dude is great for how we play.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri May 04, 2018 8:47 am
  • Smurf wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I get why Lagerwey maybe showed a little frustration with some of the front office and fan criticism with his comments.

You're opinion on Leerdam has me absolutely perplexed.

He improves our team so much. We are so much better with him than we are without.

Nouhou is a young player who has a lot of raw talent, but doesn't always play smart. So i can see people's frustration in him...but Leerdam man....that dude is great for how we play.

Leerdam is quick, smart and makes good decisions..............that's not my criticism. My criticism of him and Nouhou is neither is an offensive threat to make runs and stretch the defense. Which IMO is what we're desperately missing without Jones.

An outside back that can get forward and send in crosses, and just be an overall disruption.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri May 04, 2018 8:50 am
  • marauding wingbacks need a strong central midfield to operate from.

Sounders don't have that right now.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat May 05, 2018 6:19 pm
  • Another shit show by the Sounders today. The played with a man advantage almost the entire match and couldn’t come away with a win much less score a goal. Pathetic.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon May 07, 2018 9:35 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Another shit show by the Sounders today. The played with a man advantage almost the entire match and couldn’t come away with a win much less score a goal. Pathetic.

A healthy Lodeiro would have made a big difference.........but even he's looked less like the Niko of previous years. So I wonder if he's had this injury for a while, and it's finally come to a head of needing rest.

Either way, this has been one of the worst offensive units we've seen in a long time, maybe ever. No wing pressure at all, two old dudes up top getting gobbled up by defenders and with a less than healthy Lodeiro, absolutely no one to service them even if they could make runs or work 1-2's.

Summer transfer window can't come soon enough.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 07, 2018 11:10 am
  • Can't help but be frustrated at the front office. Yes Morris got hurt...but he was hurt most of last year too, there should have been more depth up front. It's all fine and well waiting till the summer but we've a lot of games before then and we'll drop a lot of points if we can't score. Plus with the world cup, a lot of talent will be abroad for it and won't get back till after the tournament.

If money was the issue (it shouldn't be given the ticket prices etc) then I question why we re-signed an ageing Dempsey over younger talent.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 07, 2018 12:19 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    If money was the issue (it shouldn't be given the ticket prices etc) then I question why we re-signed an ageing Dempsey over younger talent.

Clint's still sells kits, had 12 goals last year and has chemistry with Lodeiro and Morris. So I can see why we wanted him back for another couple years.

I also think not having V-Rod available for seemingly his entire tenure here so far has not helped with Morris being gone. Rodriguez can play the wing, and would give us some much needed width and skill.

Did we know he was so brittle when he came here? Dude makes Brad Evans look like Lou Gehrig.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 09, 2018 4:11 pm
  • Seattle has decided to not even try in tonight's game. They're running a 5-4-1 and Dempsey, Lodiero, and Alonso didn't even make the trip. 15 minutes in and Toronto has about 90% of the possession, almost all of it in Seattle's half of the field.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed May 09, 2018 4:26 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Seattle has decided to not even try in tonight's game. They're running a 5-4-1 and Dempsey, Lodiero, and Alonso didn't even make the trip. 15 minutes in and Toronto has about 90% of the possession, almost all of it in Seattle's half of the field.

I retract my previous statement about not trying. :)
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed May 09, 2018 5:50 pm
  • Holy crap. Seattle wins 2-1 on the road. I was absolutely not expecting that. And now I'm even more convinced this is a better team when Dempsey doesn't play. So far this season the Sounders are scoring a goal every 83.8 minutes without Dempsey compared to a goal every 218 minutes when Dempsey's on the pitch.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed May 09, 2018 8:49 pm
  • Wasn't expecting that. Makes me wish we actually had a go in the final last year.

Hopefully that turns around our season and we beat portland on sunday.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 09, 2018 8:50 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Holy crap. Seattle wins 2-1 on the road. I was absolutely not expecting that. And now I'm even more convinced this is a better team when Dempsey doesn't play. So far this season the Sounders are scoring a goal every 83.8 minutes without Dempsey compared to a goal every 218 minutes when Dempsey's on the pitch.

I kind of questioned dempsey above. Lodeiro when he plays also seems to be more influential without him.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 10, 2018 8:03 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Seattle has decided to not even try in tonight's game. They're running a 5-4-1 and Dempsey, Lodiero, and Alonso didn't even make the trip. 15 minutes in and Toronto has about 90% of the possession, almost all of it in Seattle's half of the field.

I retract my previous statement about not trying. :)

We all thought this, if anyone looking at that lineup and 5-3-2 park the bus and hope for a point formation thought we had a chance to score two goals and win, they're lying.

We learned two things last night;

1. Trust Schmetzer. He knew exactly what this club needed, young energy.

2. When you're playing a beat up opponent, sometimes all it takes is going young, hungry and motivated.

Hell, I wouldn't mind the same lineup this weekend against PDX. Until Lodeiro's back to full health, I'm fine with Dempsey on the bench. He doesn't create, he just clogs up the middle, doesn't get back to help on defense and commits stupid frustration fouls.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 10, 2018 1:31 pm
  • Team was very committed to each other last night. The lines were tight for the most part, and the midfielders were covering for each other tirelessly.

A moment of brilliance by Wolff, and Bruin playing arguably his best game as a Sounder means we left with all 3 points. Good game plan last night. Well executed.

MLS Salaries came out today for those curious:

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2018/5/1 ... s-2018-mls

Nico is now the highest paid on the team - $2.3 Million

Dempsey a 57% decrease to $1.6 Million.

Victor Rodriguez and Ozzie Alonso are both making $1-$1.1 Million.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri May 11, 2018 7:37 am
  • Smurf wrote:Team was very committed to each other last night. The lines were tight for the most part, and the midfielders were covering for each other tirelessly.

A moment of brilliance by Wolff, and Bruin playing arguably his best game as a Sounder means we left with all 3 points. Good game plan last night. Well executed.

MLS Salaries came out today for those curious:

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2018/5/1 ... s-2018-mls

Nico is now the highest paid on the team - $2.3 Million

Dempsey a 57% decrease to $1.6 Million.

Victor Rodriguez and Ozzie Alonso are both making $1-$1.1 Million.

Good to know Dempsey isn't making 3M+ anymore, but disappointing to see we're paying V-Rod that much for being hurt since he got here.

Also tells me there's plenty of DP money to go after a bigtime summer transfer window player.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun May 13, 2018 12:45 pm
  • What happened to Roman Torres? Is he injured? Couldn’t find anything on his status. Kim Kee-hee is a huge liability. Less Kim plays the better.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sun May 13, 2018 2:23 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:What happened to Roman Torres? Is he injured? Couldn’t find anything on his status. Kim Kee-hee is a huge liability. Less Kim plays the better.

Torres has a hamstring issue and is most likely out until after the WC. Kee Hee was one of Seattle's better players today. This team is desperately in need of a true striker and a winger with speed.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun May 13, 2018 3:37 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:What happened to Roman Torres? Is he injured? Couldn’t find anything on his status. Kim Kee-hee is a huge liability. Less Kim plays the better.

Torres has a hamstring issue and is most likely out until after the WC. Kee Hee was one of Seattle's better players today. This team is desperately in need of a true striker and a winger with speed.

Kee-Hee must have had a better 2nd half in the match (I missed it) because he was horrid the first half. Marshall had to cover his arse several times as his marked guy was beating him. Luckily the Timbers couldn't capitalize on those.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon May 14, 2018 8:01 am
  • Honestly, until Lodeiro is back to full health and we do something in the summer transfer window.....................just run out the young kids like we did Wednesday against Toronto.

At least it brings some speed and energy to the lineup, as opposed to just watching a lifeless offense do nothing.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 24, 2018 2:23 pm
  • The draw for the 4th round of the US Open cup took place today. Sounders will play at Sacramento Republic on June 6.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu May 24, 2018 7:46 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:The draw for the 4th round of the US Open cup took place today. Sounders will play at Sacramento Republic on June 6.

Honestly shocked its not Portland.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat May 26, 2018 2:44 pm
  • 1-0 down and you bring on full backs. Wtf schmetzer. Piss poor management and a piss poor squad this year. Get a forward, any forward for god sake. Painful to see how futile we are up front.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 26, 2018 2:49 pm
  • Fans deserve better. Its been brutal this year. Rsl are bad this year. Dempsey has also clearly lost a step. I know we've struggled without Lodeiro but it shows the lack of quality in the squad.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 26, 2018 4:50 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Fans deserve better. Its been brutal this year. Rsl are bad this year. Dempsey has also clearly lost a step. I know we've struggled without Lodeiro but it shows the lack of quality in the squad.

So Dempsey is standing around and trotting at a slower pace than he was before?
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Sat May 26, 2018 4:55 pm
  • JustTheTip wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Fans deserve better. Its been brutal this year. Rsl are bad this year. Dempsey has also clearly lost a step. I know we've struggled without Lodeiro but it shows the lack of quality in the squad.

So Dempsey is standing around and trotting at a slower pace than he was before?

He was never the fastest but he has lost some pace which is to be expected at 34/35. Combination of that and poor service/lack of creativity from the midfield/lack of an actual winger/lack of a forward.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 26, 2018 11:45 pm
  • Jordan Morris.
    Nico Lodeiro.
    Victor Rodriguez.
    Osvaldo Alonso.
    Will Bruin.
    Roman Torres.
    Gustav Svensson.
    Henry Wingo.
    Hadwalla Bwana.

ST:
    Felix Chenkham (S2 promotion)
    Clint Dempsey

Outside Midfielder:
    Wolff Eikram
    Lamar Neagle
    Harry Shipp

Center Midfielder:
    Cristian Roldan
    Alex Roldan
    Jordy Delem

RB:
    Kelvin Leerdam
    Jordan McCrary

LB:
    Nouhou
    Waylon Francis

CB:
    Chad Marshall
    Kim Kee-Hee
    Tony Alfaro

This team is not built to survive that many crucial injuries AND a world cup break. We literally put out the 18 players we had available. AND THEN 1 OF THEM GOT HURT.

This team is physically destroyed, Mentally deteriorating, and incapable of playing any style of attacking soccer.

We can't beat anyone with Pace...because we didn't have much before the season...and its all Injured now.

We can't beat anyone with technical skill, because all we have left is a 35 year old Clint Dempsey and a horribly inconsistent Wolff Eikram.

We can't beat anyone by lobbing balls into the box.....even when we put 33 year old Chad Marshall up top.

This team is in a HORRIBLE situation.

Unless your last name is Roldan, there is a good chance you've been injured, inconsistent, underwhelming, and/or down right horrible.

We brought in Eikram....great, He's gonna get time to keep V-Rod and Lodeiro fresh...especially during the world cup break...and we brought in Jordan McCrary and Waylon Francis for depth at FullBack...Garth really thought that was going to improve upon a team that layed an egg in the MLS Cup Final (again, if we're being honest). Oh, btw, the team assist leader went off to Germany get relegated to the 3rd division.

and then...in the first CCL series of the season...We lose our most Dynamic Forward for the season....with MONTHS of the transfer window being open.....AND WE DID NOTHING.

Yep. We'll manage into the summer window with Will Bruin and a smorgasbord of "Creative Attacking Midfielders" behind him....

Oh...wait..NVM...they're all broken and our single best performance of the season was on the road, against Toronto...where we played 5 in the back, packed it in, and stole a victory.

WE HAVE SCORED 7 GOALS IN 10 GAMES. FEWEST IN THE LEAGUE. AND ITS NOT CLOSE.

I'm a pretty optimistic person...but Unless this team signs a MASSIVE striker in the summer window....We'll miss the playoffs for the first time ever. I mean, we're gonna have to sign a player that makes everyone else around him better. Like Oba did, like a young Clint Dempsey did...like Carlos Vela is doing for LAFC.

I hear Javier Hernandez and Ronaldo are looking for moves away from their clubs...make the signing Garth. I dare you.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon May 28, 2018 4:29 pm
  • The best thing for the Sounders would be for Lagerwey to leave the team. Each year they have been getting worse and the slow starts have been consistent under his watch. This year the team is going to be so far behind that even a monster 2nd half isn't going to be enough.

If I was Adrian Hanauer, I'd fire Lagerwey. As the GM of this team, he's destroyed the depth of the team and hasn't done enough to improve the offense. They struggled offensively last season too.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Tue May 29, 2018 9:26 am
  • Smurf wrote:

I'm a pretty optimistic person...but Unless this team signs a MASSIVE striker in the summer window....We'll miss the playoffs for the first time ever. I mean, we're gonna have to sign a player that makes everyone else around him better. Like Oba did, like a young Clint Dempsey did...like Carlos Vela is doing for LAFC.

I hear Javier Hernandez and Ronaldo are looking for moves away from their clubs...make the signing Garth. I dare you.

I heard this refrain from a handful of people over the weekend. But honestly, top attacking players are not choosing the MLS anytime soon. The payday (Gio in Toronto makes 130K a week, tops in MLS with Kaka) is nothing compared to what they get overseas

The only way the MLS will be able to start to attract top tier attacking players is to stop wasting all that money on older ex-stars and start giving it to young and developing potential. Until then you're hoping aging internationals some how solve goal scoring issues. LAFC and Atlanta have done a nice job so far. LAFC have just 6 players over 30, 4 of them central defenders (about the end of their prime). They have 10 players 22 or under. Atlanta just 4 players over 30, and 10 under 22.

Atlanta's top earner is on 44k a week and is a 24 year old midfielder.

Hernandez is on 93K/week. Lodeiro, top earner in Seattle this year, is on 45K/week.

I dont think there is an easy fix for Seattle
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue May 29, 2018 9:34 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:

I heard this refrain from a handful of people over the weekend. But honestly, top attacking players are not choosing the MLS anytime soon. The payday (Gio in Toronto makes 130K a week, tops in MLS with Kaka) is nothing compared to what they get overseas

The only way the MLS will be able to start to attract top tier attacking players is to stop wasting all that money on older ex-stars and start giving it to young and developing potential. Until then you're hoping aging internationals some how solve goal scoring issues.

Hernandez is on 93K/week. Lodeiro, top earner in Seattle this year, is on 45K/week.

I dont think there is an easy fix.

It's not an either or thing, the MLS is trying to attract the younger stars, thus the under 24 DP rule where only 350k of the under 24 DP counts against the cap............but it's an uphill battle, because every big league on the planet wants these young stars, and the MLS knows if they do get one, it'll be short lived, so it's hard for a club to commit that kind of salary for one year, maybe two tops.

IMO the MLS is fine, it's thriving and expanding as any young league should. Good mix of well known stars, younger stars and homegrown players.

The Sounders just got caught with their pants down after Morris got hurt. There was no forward depth on the roster to pick up the slack, and now they're paying the price until the summer transfer window opens. It's only been compounded with Lodeiro being gone and V-Rod being hurt in perpetuity.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 29, 2018 11:05 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:

The only way the MLS will be able to start to attract top tier attacking players is to stop wasting all that money on older ex-stars and start giving it to young and developing potential. Until then you're hoping aging internationals some how solve goal scoring issues.

I dont think there is an easy fix.

It's not an either or thing, the MLS is trying to attract the younger stars, thus the under 24 DP rule where only 350k of the under 24 DP counts against the cap............but it's an uphill battle, because every big league on the planet wants these young stars, and the MLS knows if they do get one, it'll be short lived, so it's hard for a club to commit that kind of salary for one year, maybe two tops.

IMO the MLS is fine, it's thriving and expanding as any young league should. Good mix of well known stars, younger stars and homegrown players.

The Sounders just got caught with their pants down after Morris got hurt. There was no forward depth on the roster to pick up the slack, and now they're paying the price until the summer transfer window opens. It's only been compounded with Lodeiro being gone and V-Rod being hurt in perpetuity.

It will be an either/or thing very soon. the MLS is not "thriving." It is expanding, which will only make things more difficult in terms of finding these types of players to help the league. How many of these players do you think there are out there? It will not be able to continue to throw money at some of these players and try and attract and keep up and coming talent.

the sounders did not get caught with their pants down by one injury. They got caught by having an unbalanced roster. Morris' injury has exacerbated that.

The Summer transfer window will be interesting. Because again, what will the Sounders be able to attract to actually help goal scoring? What will they be able to offer in terms of wages? And is that player (Has Ibra changed the Galaxy's fortunes on the field) be worth the cost?

It might be best to pretend you are starting over, really. Look where Atlanta and LAFC are in the standings
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue May 29, 2018 12:15 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    It will be an either/or thing very soon. the MLS is not "thriving." It is expanding, which will only make things more difficult in terms of finding these types of players to help the league. How many of these players do you think there are out there? It will not be able to continue to throw money at some of these players and try and attract and keep up and coming talent.

the sounders did not get caught with their pants down by one injury. They got caught by having an unbalanced roster. Morris' injury has exacerbated that.

The Summer transfer window will be interesting. Because again, what will the Sounders be able to attract to actually help goal scoring? What will they be able to offer in terms of wages? And is that player (Has Ibra changed the Galaxy's fortunes on the field) be worth the cost?

It might be best to pretend you are starting over, really. Look where Atlanta and LAFC are in the standings

it used to be an either/or thing, but it has changed over the past 5-6 years. Much bigger influx of younger stars and homegrown talent. Almost double the numbers from even 5 years ago.

btw, expansion IS thriving when you're a niche league that makes it's money on expansion fees and attendance.

If you're comparing MLS to the top leagues as a barometer, you'll never be happy with what the league is doing. That'll never happen, because we'll never have the national sports fan interest in order to push the league's TV ratings to the point of massive TV contracts and profitability.

And that's just fine, it's a great soccer product for a 4M salary cap and 3 DP slots, that now routinely challenges the bigger Mexican Primera clubs in CONCACAF, with five times the payroll.

Certainly not perfect, lots of things to work on. But the antiquated criticism of MLS just being a retirement home for Euro stars is stale, old and flat out wrong. Those DP's make up a fraction of the players now.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 29, 2018 1:45 pm
  • What makes MLS exciting is also its weakness. I love the fact it incorporates salary caps and drafts to make it competitive like other north American sports. Smaller franchises have a chance to be champions.

European competition is becoming boring and predictable. Basically- Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus and a sugar daddy team like Man City, Chelsea, PSG.

On the flip side due to the low salary cap in comparison to other leagues it hinders what players the league can attract and effs over the Sounders, Atlanta etc who get big crowds. If MLS could attract America's best athletes from a young age, the US would be world cup favorites. The likes of LeBron James and many NFL players are athletic freaks that would probably be good at any sport if they had played it from a young enough age. The issue is the money is not there to attract them. Soccer is also a very much a middle class sport in the US and only attracts a specific part of the population. It isn't necessarily in other parts of the world, although in Europe i'd say its gentrifying.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 29, 2018 2:04 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:What makes MLS exciting is also its weakness. I love the fact it incorporates salary caps and drafts to make it competitive like other north American sports. Smaller franchises have a chance to be champions.

European competition is becoming boring and predictable. Basically- Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus and a sugar daddy team like Man City, Chelsea, PSG.

On the flip side due to the low salary cap in comparison to other leagues it hinders what players the league can attract and effs over the Sounders, Atlanta etc who get big crowds. If MLS could attract America's best athletes from a young age, the US would be world cup favorites. The likes of LeBron James and many NFL players are athletic freaks that would probably be good at any sport if they had played it from a young enough age. The issue is the money is not there to attract them. Soccer is also a very much a middle class sport in the US and only attracts a specific part of the population. It isn't necessarily in other parts of the world, although in Europe i'd say its gentrifying.

That's because the MLS could never survive a non-parity cap based competitive system like other well established high payroll leagues. It'd be like every other league, dominated by the same 6-7 clubs...........which would be good for us, because we'd be one of them. But it's not good for a league trying to grow.

I'm not crazy about the playoff style format, but it certainly served us two years ago coming all the way back to make the playoffs and winning the Cup.

I think in the beginning it was to appeal to the American sports fan that was used to sports with playoffs, but now that the league is well established, I wouldn't be disappointed if we went to single table or a two table league with one final Cup Championship match.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 30, 2018 9:06 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

it used to be an either/or thing, but it has changed over the past 5-6 years. Much bigger influx of younger stars and homegrown talent. Almost double the numbers from even 5 years ago.

btw, expansion IS thriving when you're a niche league that makes it's money on expansion fees and attendance.

If you're comparing MLS to the top leagues as a barometer, you'll never be happy with what the league is doing. That'll never happen, because we'll never have the national sports fan interest in order to push the league's TV ratings to the point of massive TV contracts and profitability.

And that's just fine, it's a great soccer product for a 4M salary cap and 3 DP slots, that now routinely challenges the bigger Mexican Primera clubs in CONCACAF, with five times the payroll.

Certainly not perfect, lots of things to work on. But the antiquated criticism of MLS just being a retirement home for Euro stars is stale, old and flat out wrong. Those DP's make up a fraction of the players now.

Yet, many of those DPs make up a huge chunk of the salaries being given out. So no, it's not an "antiquated" criticism. it's directly holding the league back from attracting better players, with the likes of Rooney and more to follow. And while you can be satisfied it is directly challenging the Mexican clubs in CONCACAF, the Mexican clubs employ rosters almost entirely of Mexicans and their nation is in the World Cup.

I'm not comparing it to the top leagues in the world. I am, however, at a lot of games and can certainly see that if it wants to support the growth potential of US soccer as it says it does, it needs to improve its product. To do that, it needs to attract or hold on to its young attacking talent. To do that, it needs to stop paying David Villa and Baston Schweinsteiger, etc. 5 times as much as the next best paid player. Those next players are not "stars" either. They are not household names. It's a start, but asserting them as anything more than potential is the same as ignoring the negative impact the older players have on the league.

Expansion is not "thriving" either. Business people willing to put a team together does not mean the league's revenues will suddenly go up. It means they are willing to hope the new market takes off. If it doesnt (MLS teams have failed in the past).

It also means one more team vying for what already is a limited player pool.

You can continue to excuse away both the business model and product as "niche." But considering the investment in the sport and its capabilities, its probably time to quit treating it like a kid that needs to be nurtured and celebrated for minor advances and let it really start to move forward. If you want to focus on expansion as thriving, then it certainly shows the league is not "niche" and is cashing in on the high water mark of the sports popularity here. Why not take advantage of it.

if not.. the next Sargents, McKennies, Pulisics, Weahs will skip from their academies over the domestic league and straight to Europe while MLS teams will still be hoping 33 year old forwards are willing to play in a "glorified rec league" for an easy payday.

A couple clubs are trying with the way they are building a club, and the results are apparent.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed May 30, 2018 9:16 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:What makes MLS exciting is also its weakness. I love the fact it incorporates salary caps and drafts to make it competitive like other north American sports. Smaller franchises have a chance to be champions.

Like Leicester?

Is European competition as boring and predictable as the MLS product on the field?

Soccer attracts from every nook and cranny in the country. DAs and MLS academies are reducing the socio-economic disparity as well by copying the models of Europe. Many travel clubs, however, are very expensive. the bigger issue is the vast size of the country and trying to locate these kids and get them to the right organizations.

Every country has athletic freaks who dont play soccer. If England's rugby players did soccer instead, would they be unstoppable? It's not as simple as saying "you're 6'9".. here's a soccer ball, kick it over there, we are winning the world cup now"

The money issue is a misnomer as well. The Champs league final drew more American viewers than any sporting event in the cycle outside the Super Bowl. The sport is massive in its popularity, is growing immensely at the youth side again and will reap the benefits in the coming years. There are more professional opportunities in the sport of soccer than any sport outside Baseball. (currently 9 professional soccer leagues in the US, as well as being paid as reserves for MLS teams)

the sport is on the rise. I just wish the MLS would do a bit better with that.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed May 30, 2018 12:17 pm
  • Leicester was a once in a life time thing. Even Blackburn in '95 were a mini Man City at the time and bought the league

Yes I think its becoming like that in Europe. It's becoming the same teams every year in the CL.

Serie A- Juventus are on what 7 in a row, France- PSG, Spain- Real or Barcelona, maybe Athletico rarely, England- Chelsea or City

It's the usual top guns.

At least before tv money it was more cyclical. Now the top teams just vaccuum up talent from the likes of Portugal and Brazil before the likes of Ajax can build good teams.

As for MLS, I do wonder what happens to MLS once expansion fees stop. Will the league ever be profitable or will teams eventually fold.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 30, 2018 3:26 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    if not.. the next Sargents, McKennies, Pulisics, Weahs will skip from their academies over the domestic league and straight to Europe while MLS teams will still be hoping 33 year old forwards are willing to play in a "glorified rec league" for an easy payday. .

You've done nothing but say every USMNT player should play overseas in upper tier leagues in order to get the best training and development. You've even gone as far as to criticize players like Dempsey, Bradley, Altidore, etc from staying in Europe for big paydays in MLS.

So which is it? Do you want our young players going to Europe, or do you want them to stay here?

There in lies the rub Si. Sure, we can probably stop paying the Villas and Dempseys 5-6M a year to be MLS DP's, and try and keep and pay Pulisic that type of money to stay.........but then Christian is playing with and against 2nd and 3rd tier competition.

You can criticize the MLS all you want for how it goes about their rosters, but if you get rid of the older star DP's and try and transfer that salary expenditure to keep our young stars, you're going to fail.........because again, a 5-10M cap MLS team will never be able to compete with a 150-200M cap club in Europe in salary, competition or prestige.

Our best bet is the Yedlin, Morris, Jones route where we try to hold onto those young stars for a year, help them mature, get their feet wet in the pro game, then send them off to hopefully develop into great USMNT players. To think we can hold onto those players their entire careers is naive. It's not good for them, and it's not good for our national program.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 30, 2018 5:42 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    if not.. the next Sargents, McKennies, Pulisics, Weahs will skip from their academies over the domestic league and straight to Europe while MLS teams will still be hoping 33 year old forwards are willing to play in a "glorified rec league" for an easy payday. .

You've done nothing but say every USMNT player should play overseas in upper tier leagues in order to get the best training and development. You've even gone as far as to criticize players like Dempsey, Bradley, Altidore, etc from staying in Europe for big paydays in MLS.

So which is it? Do you want our young players going to Europe, or do you want them to stay here?

There in lies the rub Si. Sure, we can probably stop paying the Villas and Dempseys 5-6M a year to be MLS DP's, and try and keep and pay Pulisic that type of money to stay.........but then Christian is playing with and against 2nd and 3rd tier competition.

You can criticize the MLS all you want for how it goes about their rosters, but if you get rid of the older star DP's and try and transfer that salary expenditure to keep our young stars, you're going to fail.........because again, a 5-10M cap MLS team will never be able to compete with a 150-200M cap club in Europe in salary, competition or prestige.

Our best bet is the Yedlin, Morris, Jones route where we try to hold onto those young stars for a year, help them mature, get their feet wet in the pro game, then send them off to hopefully develop into great USMNT players. To think we can hold onto those players their entire careers is naive. It's not good for them, and it's not good for our national program.

I want USMNT players to go overseas because the domestic league is mediocre. Figured that was clear.

The MLS cap isn't the issue. Look at the top 10 highest paid players in this league. Look at their salary compared to say, Lodeiro, and then come back to me with what those players add.

Imagine being able to have 4/5 Lodeiro type players on a team, instead of 2 aging DPs who arent all that interested in the league.

It's not "the rub" its the direction the league has chosen... again, look at Atlanta and LAFC for the way forward.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu May 31, 2018 7:30 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Imagine being able to have 4/5 Lodeiro type players on a team, instead of 2 aging DPs who arent all that interested in the league..

Lodeiro is our highest paid player this year, so not sure what you mean. He makes 1.9M, which means he's a DP, and you can still only have three DP's, whether they're making 1.9M, or 7M. Doesn't jibe with your "let's have four or five 1.9M players roster building philosophy."

and if you look at our roster vs Atlanta's, they're very similar in makeup, a good mix of quality youth and older vets. As are most MLS rosters.

Our problem is our two best younger players (Morris, Rodriguez) haven't been playing...........and the two or three "young DP" type players we've targeted since the winter, we haven't been able to pull the trigger on.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 31, 2018 9:59 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Imagine being able to have 4/5 Lodeiro type players on a team, instead of 2 aging DPs who arent all that interested in the league..

Lodeiro is our highest paid player this year, so not sure what you mean. He makes 1.9M, which means he's a DP, and you can still only have three DP's, whether they're making 1.9M, or 7M. Doesn't jibe with your "let's have four or five 1.9M players roster building philosophy."

and if you look at our roster vs Atlanta's, they're very similar in makeup, a good mix of quality youth and older vets. As are most MLS rosters.

Our problem is our two best younger players (Morris, Rodriguez) haven't been playing...........and the two or three "young DP" type players we've targeted since the winter, we haven't been able to pull the trigger on.

So two players go out and you find yourself 17 points from the top? Jordan Morris had 3 goals last year in 22 starts. I know he was injured, but i'd say the problems with the roster go deeper.

I digress because I don't care too much about the Sounders. I am more interested in the league.

Salary disparity: Lodeiro is on 45K. Baston is on 119K. This is a league wide problem. So instead of 4/5, have 3. the concept is the same. argue semantics all you want. The top 10 highest paid players in the league are all 30+ except one (29 year old Carlos Vela). Lodeiro, who is 11th (29 years old), makes 3x less than the highest. #12 is Miguel Almiron, with Atlanta, who is 24. You have to go 12 more spots to find a player (Felipe Guiterrez) under the age of 28, making 32K for Sporting. Both Sporting and Atlanta top their leagues. The next 8 after him are older than 30. The top 35 highest paid players in the MLS are 29+ except 4.

Back to the Sounders, they have 7 players over the age of 30, and with Lodeiro at 29 years of age it's pretty easy to see both the imbalance and issues the club have. The rosters are not "similar" as Atlanta and LAFC are using young players (they barely have up and running academies at this time as well) that are essential to their success. Seattle and Toronto, last year's MLS Cup teams, are not. Long may the Atlantas and LAFCs continue to prosper. This is not to bash the Sounders, but the model they found to be successful is one that I think is holding the league back.

The window is there. look through it or not. It's unfortunate the league will lose out on the next crop of young American players. My issue with the league has always been its stature as a resting place for big names and that stifles it's growth potential. It's expanding, and the last two expansion teams have done well with their rosters. Im just hoping the MLS will purge itself of this need to spend its limited funds on high profile players who dont offer much to the league's growth. To do that, teams will need to start to reward potential. It's stable enough that the product should be more important now than the names on the jersey. Maybe i'm being naive.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu May 31, 2018 12:12 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote: This is not to bash the Sounders, but the model they found to be successful is one that I think is holding the league back. .

It's not the model that the Sounders and Toronto found to be successful, it IS the model of success in MLS.

You watch, all these young CONCACAF stars that LAFC and Atlanta signed are going to be gone in 1-3 years. The only sustainable model of success is what clubs like the Sounders, Galaxy and Toronto are doing, find 2-3 DP's that can still play at a high MLS level, AND surround them with as many quality players (young and old) as possible.

The only way you model works Si is if the MLS raises it's 4M cap to 20-30M to compete with the next level of leagues like the Mexican Primera, Arg Primera, Super League, Primiera Liga, etc.

Which I think we will in the next 10-20 years if MLS keeps expanding and growing. That's the only way MLS can compete to sign and more importantly keep the younger CONCACAF stars, and even sign younger Euro quality players as well.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 31, 2018 7:53 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote: This is not to bash the Sounders, but the model they found to be successful is one that I think is holding the league back. .

It's not the model that the Sounders and Toronto found to be successful, it IS the model of success in MLS.

You watch, all these young CONCACAF stars that LAFC and Atlanta signed are going to be gone in 1-3 years. The only sustainable model of success is what clubs like the Sounders, Galaxy and Toronto are doing, find 2-3 DP's that can still play at a high MLS level, AND surround them with as many quality players (young and old) as possible.

The only way you model works Si is if the MLS raises it's 4M cap to 20-30M to compete with the next level of leagues like the Mexican Primera, Arg Primera, Super League, Primiera Liga, etc.

Which I think we will in the next 10-20 years if MLS keeps expanding and growing. That's the only way MLS can compete to sign and more importantly keep the younger CONCACAF stars, and even sign younger Euro quality players as well.

I dont know Sgt. The matches i've been to this Spring has shown me the quality of play is ok, maybe even a little better than years past. But the attacking 3rd play just lacks so much energy, innovation and clinical finishing. These aging stars on the list I provided are not the quality the league needs. It needs younger attacking players. I get older players in the back, or in net. I think MLS and soccer fans in the US are expecting more, and youth players deserve more from the domestic league.

Will be an interesting summer across all the leagues.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:29 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote: This is not to bash the Sounders, but the model they found to be successful is one that I think is holding the league back. .

I dont know Sgt. The matches i've been to this Spring has shown me the quality of play is ok, maybe even a little better than years past. But the attacking 3rd play just lacks so much energy, innovation and clinical finishing. These aging stars on the list I provided are not the quality the league needs. It needs younger attacking players. I get older players in the back, or in net. I think MLS and soccer fans in the US are expecting more, and youth players deserve more from the domestic league.

Will be an interesting summer across all the leagues.

Of course, and that's always been a problem in any league, because like great QB's, forwards and strikers who can finish are the most important players on the club, so they not only make the most money.........they're the hardest to sign because everyone wants them.

Also why most MLS DP's are forwards/goal scorers.

But I do get what you're saying, spread the money around a little more and not be so top heavy, but that club model is easier said than done. Because there's a dozen leagues around the world who want the Miguel Almiron's of the world. It's why he's already making 2.2M at age 24 and Atlanta paid a crazy 13M transfer fee.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:09 am

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:34 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:WE NEED IT BAD GARTH!!!

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2018/6/7 ... ul-ruidiaz

Hmmm...interesting. The article mentions however if the Sounders sign him, he may not be available until August. They could use someone who can play now.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information