Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

NHL Seattle Hockey club

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: NHL Seattle Hockey club
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:33 pm
  • Exittium wrote:I would say the biggest thing about the “Seattle Metropolitans” is the Historical sense. They are the FIRST US Hockey team to win the stanely cup. FIRST. Sure nothing since then, but then why bring back the Sonics? Why that name? Same thing could be asked.

In the end it doesn’t matter it’s not up to us. They can have a competition or drawing or whatever but that’s just a feel good thing to make it seem like there’s a closer connection to the team. When in reality they probably already have a name because they have to eventually or at least start the process of trademarking, Licensing, branding etc etc all those legalities and make sure everything “clears” and there’s no hiccups I.e Seattle trying to name the team Seattle Shock.. when the AFL owns the rights to Shock.. bleh bleh bleh

I don't think you can compare the emotional attachment of the SuperSonics to a team that was only around 8 years 100 years ago. C'mon man!

Obviously we all know what the SuperSonics mean to the people of this city, no need to rehash that. One is some history you can read about online. The other is a real tangible thing that we watched live, on TV, and went to games with our dads, brought our kids, and rooted for. There was pain and joy! The other is literally some words and a grainy white and black team photo. No comparison.

But yea, IF they get named after our awful bus system, it would disappoint me, but Id still watch. Definitely wouldn't sport a lot of their gear though.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

NHL Seattle Hockey club
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:49 am
  • No fish names please. A fish name NHL team sounds soft ass hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:55 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:No fish names please. A fish name NHL team sounds soft ass hell.

Not if you have a couple of goons that are “sock”ing the opponent in the “eye”. < rimshot >
    Then it’s badass! 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:38 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:No fish names please. A fish name NHL team sounds soft ass hell.

Not if you have a couple of goons that are “sock”ing the opponent in the “eye”. < rimshot >
    Then it’s badass! 8)

Which is exactly why I liked Sockeye in the first place.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:21 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:No fish names please. A fish name NHL team sounds soft ass hell.

Then it’s badass! 8)

Are you two serious? The lame pun is what makes it stupid to begin with...
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:44 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

Then it’s badass! 8)

Laugh a little, you’ll live longer. 8)
    The worst name IMHO is Kraken.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:49 pm
  • Bettman confirmed at the all-star weekend today that a Seattle expansion draft would have the same rules as Vegas had- which is huuuge
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:54 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Not if you have a couple of goons that are “sock”ing the opponent in the “eye”. < rimshot >
    Then it’s badass! 8)

I like Kraken !

Better then hearing You got Smoked !

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:47 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

I like Kraken !

I actually would prefer something else rather than Kraken or Sockeye, but if it’s between the 2 Kraken loses in my world.

But..... Saying that, I’d get over it and support the team to the max.
    I think the Mariners is a pretty lame name, and Seahawks is a little hokey (notice how I always call them Hawks) but I’ve supported both of those teams since they came into existence.

I’ve always loved the name SuperSonics however (I’m sure some think that’s a lame name), even if I was just a fairweather fan.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:29 am
  • kobebryant wrote:Bettman confirmed at the all-star weekend today that a Seattle expansion draft would have the same rules as Vegas had- which is huuuge

For someone that hasn’t followed the NHL is about 15 years could you explain a little please?

I’m going to get right back into the NHL for the Seattle team.

Couple of rookie questions -

What months does the season run?

How many games are there in the regular season?
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:22 pm
  • original poster wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:Bettman confirmed at the all-star weekend today that a Seattle expansion draft would have the same rules as Vegas had- which is huuuge

For someone that hasn’t followed the NHL is about 15 years could you explain a little please?

I don't really know the specifics but essentially Vegas got the best deal for any expansion team ever in terms of selections for players in the expansion draft. They lead the the Western Conference in the standings at the All-Star break. (60ish percent of the regular season) It's unprecedented for an expansion team, obviously.

Season begins in September with training camp and preseason games, with regular season beginning in October running through to April. Playoffs usually run from April to early June. 82 games in the regular season.
    DrDix
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:28 pm
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:30 pm
  • kobebryant wrote:Bettman confirmed at the all-star weekend today that a Seattle expansion draft would have the same rules as Vegas had- which is huuuge

That’s great news!!!!
    Hopefully the name they pick and the color scheme will be better than the Vegas team though.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:27 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:Are you two serious? The lame pun is what makes it stupid to begin with...

I like Kraken !

I actually would prefer something else rather than Kraken or Sockeye, but if it’s between the 2 Kraken loses in my world.

But..... Saying that, I’d get over it and support the team to the max.
    I think the Mariners is a pretty lame name, and Seahawks is a little hokey (notice how I always call them Hawks) but I’ve supported both of those teams since they came into existence.

I’ve always loved the name SuperSonics however (I’m sure some think that’s a lame name), even if I was just a fairweather fan.

Ditto on supporting the team to the max regardless of name. I've never been around to witness the inception of a team I followed, so this will be pretty special. Even if I am far away.

But considering a couple of fish names are being looked at, I'm pretty disappointed that Seattle Snakeheads wasn't considered. Snakeheads are downright vicious.
    GO HAWKS!
    seaky12
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:38 pm
  • original poster wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:Bettman confirmed at the all-star weekend today that a Seattle expansion draft would have the same rules as Vegas had- which is huuuge

If you're not familiar with the rules/players/etc, I'd suggest playing the EA Sports NHL games. Extremely helpful.
    GO HAWKS!
    seaky12
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:36 pm
  • seaky12 wrote:
    original poster wrote:

If you're not familiar with the rules/players/etc, I'd suggest playing the EA Sports NHL games. Extremely helpful.

Thanks!

I remember some of the rules, icing etc. Well down on player knowledge etc though. As you said will check out NHL 18.

Last time I saw a game was the Rangers at MSG about 4 years ago.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 am
  • original poster wrote:

The rules were extremely advantageous to LV as was mentioned they're having a great year already. So it sounds like we're getting a team, and we may actually get some playoff hockey in the short term future too!

Hockey just had their all star break, I watched the skills competition on Saturday night. Brought me back.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:28 pm
  • I'd like our color combo's Silver and Blue.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:37 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:I'd like our color combo's Silver and Blue.

I actually like the Sonics colors when they had the “comic book” font that had thetas reddish color as a highlight.
    I’m open to a different color scheme, as long as it’s not bland like the new Vegas team.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:38 pm
  • Just listening to the NHL talk on the radio today and the plan it seems is to implement a expansion draft much like what the Las Vegas team had. Unlike the NFL and other leagues, who basically make you dwell in mediocrity for years, the NHL allows for an expansion that will allow us to be immediate playoff contenders. I guess, the NHL clubs are allowed only to protect a certain amount of players and when one is selected, they are allowed to protect another. The point is, we have a chance if we draft right to be playoff contenders immediately.

Myself, I'd sure like to seem them draft a majority of up and coming players and perhaps a few veterans to help stabilize the kids. I just keep thinking how the Hawks drafted a bunch of old vets and damn if the Hawks didn't look like a team of hasbeens and washed up players when they first started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NHL_Expansion_Draft
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:32 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:Just listening to the NHL talk on the radio today and the plan it seems is to implement a expansion draft much like what the Las Vegas team had. Unlike the NFL and other leagues, who basically make you dwell in mediocrity for years, the NHL allows for an expansion that will allow us to be immediate playoff contenders. I guess, the NHL clubs are allowed only to protect a certain amount of players and when one is selected, they are allowed to protect another. The point is, we have a chance if we draft right to be playoff contenders immediately.

Myself, I'd sure like to seem them draft a majority of up and coming players and perhaps a few veterans to help stabilize the kids. I just keep thinking how the Hawks drafted a bunch of old vets and damn if the Hawks didn't look like a team of hasbeens and washed up players when they first started.

Thanks for the link!
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:28 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:Just listening to the NHL talk on the radio today and the plan it seems is to implement a expansion draft much like what the Las Vegas team had. Unlike the NFL and other leagues, who basically make you dwell in mediocrity for years, the NHL allows for an expansion that will allow us to be immediate playoff contenders. I guess, the NHL clubs are allowed only to protect a certain amount of players and when one is selected, they are allowed to protect another. The point is, we have a chance if we draft right to be playoff contenders immediately.

Similar to what MLS does.............and yes it allows a club or team to build right away, obviously if you have a knowledgeable GM in place.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:14 pm
  • I can honestly say that I am so excited for this to happen. As much as I would love to have a name that I personally think is AMAZING.... I am perfectly happy just getting an NHL team at all.
    Brett
    NET Starter

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:19 pm
  • kobebryant wrote:Image

I really like the other 2 and really dont like this one because it looks like Seattle is spelled backwards.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:31 pm

:ditto:

However, I can't help but wonder if we shouldn't temper expectations. Is being playoff contenders right off the bat realistic? I mean, I'm fairly optimistic as the NHL expansion draft is favorable, and as you said, we have to draft right. But I can't get all the (obviously wrong) articles out of my head that said Vegas would be horrendous post-expansion draft. Hopefully we'll be more actual VGK than the early predictions.
    GO HAWKS!
    seaky12
    NET Rookie

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:36 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:Image

I really like the other 2 and really dont like this one because it looks like Seattle is spelled backwards.

Looks like a butt fumble waiting to happen.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:30 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:

That logo is 100+ years old BTW.... 8)

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:33 pm
  • seaky12 wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Just listening to the NHL talk on the radio today and the plan it seems is to implement a expansion draft much like what the Las Vegas team had. Unlike the NFL and other leagues, who basically make you dwell in mediocrity for years, the NHL allows for an expansion that will allow us to be immediate playoff contenders. I guess, the NHL clubs are allowed only to protect a certain amount of players and when one is selected, they are allowed to protect another. The point is, we have a chance if we draft right to be playoff contenders immediately.

However, I can't help but wonder if we shouldn't temper expectations. Is being playoff contenders right off the bat realistic? I mean, I'm fairly optimistic as the NHL expansion draft is favorable, and as you said, we have to draft right. But I can't get all the (obviously wrong) articles out of my head that said Vegas would be horrendous post-expansion draft. Hopefully we'll be more actual VGK than the early predictions.

I’d happy with just a competitive team, if they made the playoffs I’d be ecstatic.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:19 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    seaky12 wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Just listening to the NHL talk on the radio today and the plan it seems is to implement a expansion draft much like what the Las Vegas team had. Unlike the NFL and other leagues, who basically make you dwell in mediocrity for years, the NHL allows for an expansion that will allow us to be immediate playoff contenders. I guess, the NHL clubs are allowed only to protect a certain amount of players and when one is selected, they are allowed to protect another. The point is, we have a chance if we draft right to be playoff contenders immediately.

I’d happy with just a competitive team, if they made the playoffs I’d be ecstatic.

Yep, a competitive team would be great and all I expect.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:59 am
  • I'm really excited about this.

Do I remember hearing that the team will likely start in 2020?
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:56 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:

That logo is 100+ years old BTW.... 8)

It looked stupid 100+ years ago to.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:13 am
  • original poster wrote:I'm really excited about this.

Do I remember hearing that the team will likely start in 2020?

Assuming that we get the team, and the arena remodle kicks off on time I thought I heard 2020-2021 season but I could be wrong.
    Brett
    NET Starter

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:39 am
  • The one downside to the expansion draft and take this for what it's worth. I don't think it's supposed to have the effect it had on Vegas, where they are leading the league. It was supposed to get them competative, think .500.....

The only downside if the intended goal of mediocrity is hit,,, drafting around 12-15ish. No sure fire superstar to build around and identify with. I know thats being nitpicky, but just showing the other side of the card.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:47 am
  • These were the rules for the expansion draft for the Golden Knights.

Protected Lists

* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:
    a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Player Exposure Requirements

* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

Regulations Relating to Expansion Franchise

* Vegas must select one player from each presently existing club for a total of 30 players (not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules).

* Vegas must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

* Vegas must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season.

* Vegas must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap.

* Vegas may not buy out any of the players selected in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

The 30 NHL Clubs must submit their Protection List by 5:00 P.M. ET on Saturday. The Golden Knights will receive the list of protected players at 10 a.m. ET on Sunday and must submit their selections by 10 a.m. ET on Wednesday.

2017 NHL Draft Lottery

The Golden Knights were awarded the sixth pick in the 2017 NHL Draft following the draft lottery, which took place on April 29. Vegas was given the same odds as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the regular season.

Vegas will select third in each subsequent round of the draft (subject to trades and other potential player transactions).

And below is the link to the full article.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion- ... -281010592
    Brett
    NET Starter

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:16 am
  • So does anyone else have an NHL team they have adopted over the years ? If you do are you going to keep them over a new Seattle franchise ? Me personally I have been a St. Louis Blues fan for a long time, long as i can remember really, and they will very quickly become my 2nd fav team once we have a team of our own. Some people may think that is not cool or that it's a shitty move, but I have wanted a team for us since the early 90's and that is why I picked an NHL team to root for. The Blues will always be a team I cheer for unless we are playing eachother and I think it will be nice to maybe have another horse in the race should we not make the playoffs. My only concern about this is that it looks like we would be in the same division unless the NHL moves another team from the Pacific Division.

So who do you cheer for now ? what do you plan on doing when we finally get a team here in Seattle ?
    Brett
    NET Starter

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:29 am
  • Brett wrote:So does anyone else have an NHL team they have adopted over the years ? If you do are you going to keep them over a new Seattle franchise ? Me personally I have been a St. Louis Blues fan for a long time, long as i can remember really, and they will very quickly become my 2nd fav team once we have a team of our own. Some people may think that is not cool or that it's a shitty move, but I have wanted a team for us since the early 90's and that is why I picked an NHL team to root for. The Blues will always be a team I cheer for unless we are playing eachother and I think it will be nice to maybe have another horse in the race should we not make the playoffs. My only concern about this is that it looks like we would be in the same division unless the NHL moves another team from the Pacific Division.

So who do you cheer for now ? what do you plan on doing when we finally get a team here in Seattle ?

I've always rooted for the Canucks, because of their proximity and I went to college at Western, so we'd go up a couple times a winter and catch a Canucks match.

That was back when you could actually attend a hockey match for less than $150 for a nosebleed ticket.

Which will be REALLY weird for me, because now I'll have to root against the Canucks. I assume the Seattle franchise will be in the Western Conference, albeit it looks the central division is the only division with only 7 teams. So not sure if the Commissioner's going to move a team from the Pacific Division to the Central to make room for us? Or how that's going to work.

Either way, I gotta hate the Canucks!
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:34 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Brett wrote:So does anyone else have an NHL team they have adopted over the years ? If you do are you going to keep them over a new Seattle franchise ? Me personally I have been a St. Louis Blues fan for a long time, long as i can remember really, and they will very quickly become my 2nd fav team once we have a team of our own. Some people may think that is not cool or that it's a shitty move, but I have wanted a team for us since the early 90's and that is why I picked an NHL team to root for. The Blues will always be a team I cheer for unless we are playing eachother and I think it will be nice to maybe have another horse in the race should we not make the playoffs. My only concern about this is that it looks like we would be in the same division unless the NHL moves another team from the Pacific Division.

I've always rooted for the Canucks, because of their proximity and I went to college at Western, so we'd go up a couple times a winter and catch a Canucks match.

That was back when you could actually attend a hockey match for less than $150 for a nosebleed ticket.

Which will be REALLY weird for me, because now I'll have to root against the Canucks. I assume the Seattle franchise will be in the Western Conference, albeit it looks the central division is the only division with only 7 teams. So not sure if the Commissioner's going to move a team from the Pacific Division to the Central to make room for us? Or how that's going to work.

Either way, I gotta hate the Canucks!

Agreed, I chose St. Louis because of the players at the time, Brett Hull, Curtis Joseph (cujo) always thought that name was cool and I was a Goaltender. I never have got to expierence an NHL game yet. My family had close ties with the Tacoma Rockets for the seasons they were here and we had season tickets, can't beat playoff hockey. I looked at the Canucks season tickets they offered 569$ x 4 payments for 44 games totaling 2276$ and that is roughly 51 bucks a game. If our prices are similar I will be interested in getting a half season package or spliting season tix with somone.
    Brett
    NET Starter

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:52 am
  • Brett wrote: My family had close ties with the Tacoma Rockets for the seasons they were here and we had season tickets, can't beat playoff hockey..

I had season tix to the Rockets for 5-6 years back in the 90's, LOVED it. We went to all the matches, still have the team posters in my garage.

It'll be interesting to see how the Seattle club offers season tix. I'd love to get half a season, or a block of games, but my guess is those type of packages will only be if they don't sell out of complete season tix.

So I don't have my hopes up.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:03 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Brett wrote: My family had close ties with the Tacoma Rockets for the seasons they were here and we had season tickets, can't beat playoff hockey..

I had season tix to the Rockets for 5-6 years back in the 90's, LOVED it. We went to all the matches, still have the team posters in my garage.

It'll be interesting to see how the Seattle club offers season tix. I'd love to get half a season, or a block of games, but my guess is those type of packages will only be if they don't sell out of complete season tix.

We had season tickets behind the opposing team's goaltender, my stepmom was an accountant for the team. Over the years I got to do so much fun stuff with them including dinner at Marcel Como's house (head coach) and being the "stick boy" and that meant I got to sit on the bench during pre game warmups. Oh the memories of yelling at the other teams goaltender and watching 16-20 yearolds fight. I have tons of stuff still hats, programs, player cards, pucks, flyers, autographed memorabilia < sp sucks. I am probably the most excited person I know about this potentialy happening. lol...
    Brett
    NET Starter

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:15 am
  • Brett wrote:So does anyone else have an NHL team they have adopted over the years ? If you do are you going to keep them over a new Seattle franchise ? Me personally I have been a St. Louis Blues fan for a long time, long as i can remember really, and they will very quickly become my 2nd fav team once we have a team of our own. Some people may think that is not cool or that it's a shitty move, but I have wanted a team for us since the early 90's and that is why I picked an NHL team to root for. The Blues will always be a team I cheer for unless we are playing eachother and I think it will be nice to maybe have another horse in the race should we not make the playoffs. My only concern about this is that it looks like we would be in the same division unless the NHL moves another team from the Pacific Division.

I was born in Jersey, so they're teams were who i've always rooted for.

As another mentioned our proximity to Vancouver lead me to rooting for them.

I was also partial to the Canadian teams for no good reason,

And at the end of the day picked the underdogs to root for in the playoffs cause its a funner root.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:17 am
  • gowazzu02 wrote:
    Brett wrote:So does anyone else have an NHL team they have adopted over the years ? If you do are you going to keep them over a new Seattle franchise ? Me personally I have been a St. Louis Blues fan for a long time, long as i can remember really, and they will very quickly become my 2nd fav team once we have a team of our own. Some people may think that is not cool or that it's a shitty move, but I have wanted a team for us since the early 90's and that is why I picked an NHL team to root for. The Blues will always be a team I cheer for unless we are playing eachother and I think it will be nice to maybe have another horse in the race should we not make the playoffs. My only concern about this is that it looks like we would be in the same division unless the NHL moves another team from the Pacific Division.

I was born in Jersey, so they're teams were who i've always rooted for.

As another mentioned our proximity to Vancouver lead me to rooting for them.

I was also partial to the Canadian teams for no good reason,

And at the end of the day picked the underdogs to root for in the playoffs cause its a funner root.

Hey as long as you enjoy the sport ! I always tell people who say they dont like hockey or dont understand it that they should go to an actual game, because the expierence of that will change your mind and make you want to lean the game.
    Brett
    NET Starter

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00 am
  • gowazzu02 wrote:The one downside to the expansion draft and take this for what it's worth. I don't think it's supposed to have the effect it had on Vegas, where they are leading the league. It was supposed to get them competative, think .500.....

The only downside if the intended goal of mediocrity is hit,,, drafting around 12-15ish. No sure fire superstar to build around and identify with. I know thats being nitpicky, but just showing the other side of the card.

Yep, my worry for Vegas (and therefore Seattle) is that as fun as it is to be really competitive right away, they're ultimately going to land right in the no man's land of mediocrity. Throw in the fact that you're draft 18 year olds weighing 170lbs, and you could be years away from a superstar.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:02 am

I lived in the Philadelphia area for 10 years and became a pretty big Flyers fan, and a huge fan of hockey in general. I keep telling myself that I'll stay loyal to Broad St., but deep down I know that once the puck drops for a Seattle team that will fly out the window. Can't help it lol. As far as your concerns about divisions, there is absolutely no way the NHL doesn't put us in the Pacific for the natural rivalry with Vancouver. They'll shift Arizona over, or shift Colorado over and move the Alberta teams to central. Seriously can't wait.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:08 am
  • kobebryant wrote:
    gowazzu02 wrote:The one downside to the expansion draft and take this for what it's worth. I don't think it's supposed to have the effect it had on Vegas, where they are leading the league. It was supposed to get them competative, think .500.....

Yep, my worry for Vegas (and therefore Seattle) is that as fun as it is to be really competitive right away, they're ultimately going to land right in the no man's land of mediocrity. Throw in the fact that you're draft 18 year olds weighing 170lbs, and you could be years away from a superstar.

Gotta start somewhere right ? Vegas got the 6th pick overall I believe and per the rules first and 2nd year players are exempt from the expansion draft. So if you draft a good mix of 3rd year guys and vets plus your new incoming draft picks I think you have a good shot at competing.
    Brett
    NET Starter

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:13 am
  • KK84 wrote:

I lived in the Philadelphia area for 10 years and became a pretty big Flyers fan, and a huge fan of hockey in general. I keep telling myself that I'll stay loyal to Broad St., but deep down I know that once the puck drops for a Seattle team that will fly out the window. Can't help it lol. As far as your concerns about divisions, there is absolutely no way the NHL doesn't put us in the Pacific for the natural rivalry with Vancouver. They'll shift Arizona over, or shift Colorado over and move the Alberta teams to central. Seriously can't wait.

I figured that's what would happen, but my main question was who is going to move. My excitement is building and the application should be turned in soon per the NHL as of the 27th. I am worried that we will end up with some SHIT name for the team and I will be forced to cheer for the Seattle Sasquatches or something else that doesnt appeal to me personally lol. I am still hoping that we can come up with something like the Seattle Thunderhawks, or the Seattle Ice, please please please steer away from sea lions, seals, any salmon names and any of the older previously use seattle names.
    Brett
    NET Starter

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:16 am
  • kobebryant wrote:
    gowazzu02 wrote:The one downside to the expansion draft and take this for what it's worth. I don't think it's supposed to have the effect it had on Vegas, where they are leading the league. It was supposed to get them competative, think .500.....

Seattle is a fantastic sports town, we've supported our teams in good times and in bad.

I have no doubt hockey will be the same. Seattle is one of the greatest metropolitan cities in the world, full of people from all over, including Canada and elsewhere where hockey's king. Add in local hockey fans who love the sport, and we'll be just fine.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:32 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Brett wrote: My family had close ties with the Tacoma Rockets for the seasons they were here and we had season tickets, can't beat playoff hockey..

If they run the season ticket drive anything like Vegas did, you should be fine as Vegas offered 11 and 22 game packages along with full season tickets right off the bat.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:54 am
  • KK84 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

If they run the season ticket drive anything like Vegas did, you should be fine as Vegas offered 11 and 22 game packages along with full season tickets right off the bat.

Yes, Vancouver offers these packages as well. I looked up their prices earlier today to get an idea of what indvidual games cost at a full season ticket holder price. The Canucks work out to about 51.50 per game.
    Brett
    NET Starter

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:41 pm

I started watching ice hockey during the 2014 Winter Olympics and casually followed NHL for a couple of years (I was more of a Penguins hater than anything. In truth, still am) but I eventually latched onto the Buffalo Sabres. I absolutely will drop them like a hot potato for the Seattle franchise, as I'm a Seattle fan first and foremost. But I'll always have a soft spot for them.

The NHL to Seattle rumors actually influenced my team selection. I knew if there was even a silver of hope of Seattle getting a team, they would become priority and I'd drop whoever I decided to follow. So I decided that the team I followed had to meet certain criteria:
    -Could not be divisional rival to potential Seattle franchise.
    -Must be towards the bottom of their division. I assumed that an expansion franchise would be bad from the get-go so I wanted to go ahead and condition myself to losing hockey.
    -Must not have any Stanley Cup wins.
    GO HAWKS!
    seaky12
    NET Rookie

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:50 pm
  • KK84 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Do you have any idea if partial season tickets during the ticket drive would be limited to those that live in region? Assuming they aren't. I'd be interested. I know the NFL allows you to buy season tickets if you're out of state. But I'm already saving for and planning on shelling out a pretty penny for a ticket to the inaugural home game, but partial season tickets may be the better option.
    GO HAWKS!
    seaky12
    NET Rookie

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:56 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information