NBA western conference standings

JSeahawks

Reaction score
In all my years of being a sports fan I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such a jumbled group in the standings. Blazers currently in the 3 seed but only 2 1/2 games from missing the playoffs. Lose 3 games in a row and you could go from 3rd to 11th in the conference.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Of course, there's been a lot of competition in the Western Conference for years, in comparison to the east. But I agree that there is an unusual degree of parity this season between the eight teams below Golden State/Houston. Those seemingly close eight teams are competing for just six spots.

And then you have the Lakers, who are suddenly playing a much higher level post-trade with the Cavs. They lost two very good players in Larry Nance and Jordan Clarkson, but have now elevated their play enough to compete against Portland (close loss tonight in a game they probably should have won), San Antonio (destroyed them two nights ago), OKC (beat them twice since the trade), etc. Starting Julius Randle has been big for them, and Isaiah Thomas has played some good games off the bench. Lakers aren't a playoff contender, because they have already dug themselves into a hole; they just add to the level of parity in the Western Conference.

It's too bad Doc Rivers coaches the cursed and always snake-bitten Clippers. I consider him a Top 5 NBA coach with a ton of bad luck.

sdog1981

Reaction score
With the Superteam era, the regular season is pointless. All these teams are competing to lose in six games to the Cavs, Warriors, Celtics, and Spurs.

Threedee

Reaction score
As long as the Warriors and Spurs (and Rockets, it would seem) do their job and beat OKC, then I am happy.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Spurs are not a great team this year, despite their HC. They're right in the mix with five other teams battling for a playoff spot. This season, I don't see a huge difference between the Spurs (currently 5th seed) and Utah (10th seed).

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah it's the Warriors, Rockets and then everyone else.

Portland has surprised but they still aren't a real contender. I don't know exactly what they need, but they are missing a piece or two.

The East will be interesting, but whoever makes it to the finals will likely lose in 4 or 5 games.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1a3xc402 said:
Yeah it's the Warriors, Rockets and then everyone else.

Portland has surprised but they still aren't a real contender. I don't know exactly what they need, but they are missing a piece or two.

The East will be interesting, but whoever makes it to the finals will likely lose in 4 or 5 games.

Portland needs Lebron James. :D

m0ng0

Reaction score
10 straight wins, 2 against Golden State, once with Curry and once without, what Portland needs is time for Collins to mature and a reliable wing, and to jettison Evan Turner and Myers Leonard.

Latest posts