Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Nicasio needs to go. Seriously.
    L.O.B.
    Adopt a rookie: Tre Flowers
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:Time to end the Nicasio experiment YET???? Have you seen enough yet???
    6.60 ERA and it’s almost July. Why was he allowed to stay in as long as he was.

When you don’t make the playoffs or miss getting a higher seed by a few games, you can point to stubbornness of not admitting that Nicasio is horrible and it was a bad trade. Cut him, and eat the cash before he costs you another ball game.

Nicasio is the reincarnation of Bobby Ayala.

10 flippin’ runs should be enough to win the game!

Nicasio was a FA signing. But well said my friend, well said. Was it around this time of the year that Dipoto finally gave up on that toad Benoit? Wasn't he a high priced FA akin to Nicasio? Now that I'm thinking about it, Colome is looking pretty trashy, too. I've brought it up before, but man, why does Dipoto struggle so much with getting quality pitching here?
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Oh, boy. The wheels are about to come tumbling off real soon....

Servais kinda lost this game, in my eyes, with his (once again) poor management of the bullpen and not knowing when to pull guys.

1) Why not put Elias in to do some long relief after pulling Leblanc? Elias was warming up in the 3rd or 4th inning already.

2) Why pull Pazos after he walked Benintendi with 2 outs and put in NICK VINCENT to face J.D. MARTINEZ (who leads the MLB in RBI) and the heart of the lineup? Vincent hasn't shown to be reliable in medium to high leverage situations, and he's just come off the DL. Then he promptly gives a 2-run dinger; triple, rbi single. :dummy:

3) Why leave Nicasio in there after he's allowed: 1b, walk to load the bases, rbi 1b, rbi 1b. I mean, come on!

4) Then puts the new guy Rumbelow w/ 1 year exp in to face Bosox with bases loaded and 1 out?

5) Putting Span at 3 and Seager at 5 in the lineup again...........

As someone has already mentioned, Seager and Zunino stink at the plate, with the occasional HR but never come through in the clutch or with RISP. But they both play stellar defense, so we're either stuck with them or suffer a regression in defense if we replace them with more potent bats. Zunino has always been like this, so it's kinda the norm for him. But Seager is especially frustrating considering how much he's getting paid and where he bats in the order.

:229031_shrug: :rumble:
    avengerboater
    NET Practice Squad

• I will say this. For all the outsiders that say The Ms have no farm system, they are wrong. Sure, they don't have loads and loads of promising prospects, but they appear to have a good, young core, especially in high A Modesto. Kyle Lewis, infielders Bryson Brigman, Joe Rizzo, Evan White, and Donnie Walton (who just got reassigned to double A Arkansas. Their pitching is bad, but Wyatt Mills especially, along with Matt Festa and Art Warren look very promising for the future of the pen. The Rainiers look awful, with the exception of Andreoli and Ian Miller. How sad is it that their best pitcher is Bergman? That's not a slight on Berg, I've always liked him, but he's been around a long time and is at least 32 years old.

I follow the farm system closely, and like I said, this small core of talent they have coming up together looks like it could be ready to rock within 1-3 years.
    Last edited by Thepeelsessions on Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• M's are what they are. They are a good team but not a great team. We will likely make the playoffs but may not even get past the play in wild card game. We just aren't on the same level as Boston, NY or Houston. I'd even take Cleveland over us in a series.

On a championship caliber team, I think Paxton would be a #2. We don't have a true dominant ace like what we had with Felix in years past. The bullpen is coming back down to earth, and we are starting to feel the absence of Cano. In sports you usually have to pay the price for missing a superstar, we are starting to feel that now. If I'm counting correctly, we are still 12-8 in June, I think most of us said if we can go .500 in the month of June we will be fine. Don't forget that after this series we get the Orioles and Royals, two awful teams.

I still hope Dipoto goes for it this year. With the age of this team, and how baseball is constructed, it's not a given we will be able to compete for the playoffs over the next few years. Go out and get some pieces and lets try for a WS. We are only a couple pieces away from being in the conversation with the big boys. I just don't know if we have what it takes to land a dominant starting pitcher or a big time bullpen arm.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Dipoto’s weakness has been finding decent pitching. I thought they should have traded Seager before this season and at that time he could have garnered a top of the rotation type....now his value has dropped. Still they should trade Seager and get what they can. The addition of Healey makes up for Seager offensively. They can probably put Romine at third and he can be temp replacement on the defensive side until a permanent solution is found.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• Really nice win
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Yep. Broke the losing streak. Win tomorrow and hopefully go beat up on the O’s.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Winning today was important as we are likely to lose tomorrow facing Chris Sale. I'm fine if we go 1-5 on the road trip against the Yanks and Sox as long as we take care of business against the Orioles and Royals. Leake is a pro, no doubt he should stay in the rotation if we add a starting pitcher. He's been great the past couple months.
    Last edited by Hawk-Lock on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Damn fine game. Leake was aces. Loved the clips at the end with him trying to talk his way out to finish.

But Diaz definitely needed the work. Now, if we need him tomorrow, he'll at least have got some work in. If this had been a close game, that was a blown save. He should be better tomorrow.

Love that they scored in 5 innings, too. That's what they should have done last night, keep tacking on runs. That'll wear a team down, even the Sox in that stadium.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Chris Herrmann is batting....... .429!

Based Dipoto is trying to ditch the Zunino experiment. Freitas was sent down.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Shutout by arguably the best pitcher in MLB.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Shutout by arguably the best pitcher in MLB.

Yeah, pretty predictable. Gonzalez held them off for 4 innings, but that's a potent lineup. Hard to keep them down for long.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Yep, flush it, and take it out on the O’s.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• One positive, they didn't get rained out. This was supposed to be our last east coast trip of the season. Having to come back sometime for a 1-2 game makeup would have really sucked.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Hawk-Lock wrote:M's are what they are. They are a good team but not a great team. We will likely make the playoffs but may not even get past the play in wild card game. We just aren't on the same level as Boston, NY or Houston. I'd even take Cleveland over us in a series.

On a championship caliber team, I think Paxton would be a #2. We don't have a true dominant ace like what we had with Felix in years past. The bullpen is coming back down to earth, and we are starting to feel the absence of Cano. In sports you usually have to pay the price for missing a superstar, we are starting to feel that now. If I'm counting correctly, we are still 12-8 in June, I think most of us said if we can go .500 in the month of June we will be fine. Don't forget that after this series we get the Orioles and Royals, two awful teams.

I still hope Dipoto goes for it this year. With the age of this team, and how baseball is constructed, it's not a given we will be able to compete for the playoffs over the next few years. Go out and get some pieces and lets try for a WS. We are only a couple pieces away from being in the conversation with the big boys. I just don't know if we have what it takes to land a dominant starting pitcher or a big time bullpen arm.

Boston is 4-3 vs us. So we are same level as boston.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• So anyone see marco saying redsox stole signs?
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Shanegotyou11 wrote:So anyone see marco saying redsox stole signs?

I think that happens more than most think it does. Easy fix, go to a different set of signs.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Good win tonight! M's now have the 4th most wins in the Majors, unfortunately they also have the 4th most wins in the AL.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• getnasty wrote:Good win tonight! M's now have the 4th most wins in the Majors, unfortunately they also have the 4th most wins in the AL.

Plus both the Angels and Astros lost! I feel like I've been scoreboard watching almost all season. I think the Ms are 3.5 back of Houston now, which is still very attainable. Especially at this point of the season. I still think they need to find a way to get good pitching. Hopefully Dipoto can work some magic and not pay an arm and a leg. I still hope he can unload Seager, too. The defense is good, but not good enough to offset his pathetic bat.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Leaving 11 guys on base and going 1 for 8 w/RISP sucks, but.....oh well. W. All that matters.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Not sure we can unload Seager, and he still has a very good glove. But he and Z should probably be batting 8/9 every game until they wake up. If you want a lefty bat after Cruz you could always move the Span/Gamel platoon into that spot.

:229031_shrug:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:Not sure we can unload Seager, and he still has a very good glove. But he and Z should probably be batting 8/9 every game until they wake up. If you want a lefty bat after Cruz you could always move the Span/Gamel platoon into that spot.

:229031_shrug:

The myth of Zuninos default being good needs to die. He’d had one of two stints if being good for a time. He’s a bad hitter sometimes posing as an alright one
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• Yeah we left a ton of RISP last night, I was worried it would come back to bite us.

How scared was everyone when they showed Nicasio getting warmed up with only a 2 run lead in the 7th inning? So glad they opted to bring Colome instead of him in the game.

We took care of business, just like we should tonight. Felix has been pretty good this month outside of the game in Tampa. That's now 3 consecutive good starts for him, maybe he has figured it out.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• NOcasio scares the crap out of me
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• another 1 run win!
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Maybe this is the game where Seager turns his season around. Pax looked great, velocity was back up in the 95-97 mph range. I'm fine with the Sox taking care of the Angels, I'm hoping we can go into the All-Star break with about a 7 game lead on them.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• I'll give credit where it's due, Seager was solid tonight. Heck, he won the game for us all by himself. Let's hope this turns things around for him, but I don't think it'll happen till after the All Star Break.

Tonight was a glimpse of how our team can go from having a stacked lineup if everyone's healthy (Dee, Jean, Cano, Cruz, Haniger, Seager, Healy, Span/Heredia/Gamel, Zunino/Herrmann), to a lineup that has serious holes if either Dee, Jean, or Cruz is missing.
    avengerboater
    NET Practice Squad

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Maybe this is the game where Seager turns his season around. Pax looked great, velocity was back up in the 95-97 mph range. I'm fine with the Sox taking care of the Angels, I'm hoping we can go into the All-Star break with about a 7 game lead on them.

Nice win...
    On Pax..Doesn't he have 100mph velo?Of course I know he doesn't do it all the time
    but when you say back up to 95-97 what was it down to?I can't watch them so I have
    no idea and he is my favorite pitcher so just wondering is all.
    Go M's!!!
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Maybe this is the game where Seager turns his season around. Pax looked great, velocity was back up in the 95-97 mph range. I'm fine with the Sox taking care of the Angels, I'm hoping we can go into the All-Star break with about a 7 game lead on them.

Nice win...
    On Pax..Doesn't he have 100mph velo?Of course I know he doesn't do it all the time
    but when you say back up to 95-97 what was it down to?I can't watch them so I have
    no idea and he is my favorite pitcher so just wondering is all.
    Go M's!!!

I don't remember Pax hitting 100 mph. Diaz does it fairly regular, and I think Pazos can hit that, but I think Pax maxes out at about 97/98. In any event, it is still about location and hitting his spots more than raw speed. He gets lots of rotation too, so his throws can be lively when they hit the zone.

Last turn, Pax was throwing low 90's, and both the Yanks and the Sox were kind of sitting on it. It wasn't just the velo, his pitches weren't really crisp. Bit of a mid season mini-slump. Everybody hits a rough stretch. Was his old self last night.

Now, let's hope we can secure the series win tonight, then Thursday is almost a throwaway game. Almost. ;)

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Paxton is mostly an upper 90's guy when he's right but he does hit 100 from time to time.

DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Yeah his velocity was down in the low 90's on his previous two bad starts against the Sox and Yanks. I read somewhere that prior to the game Mel told him to let it rip against the Orioles. Not sure the reason for the velocity dip in those two games.

I've always believed that a great fastball is arguably the best pitch in baseball. It sets up all the other pitches. If you look at all the best pitchers in baseball today, they can all throw in the upper 90's: Kluber, Scherzer, Severino, Verlander, DeGrom, Sale, Paxton, etc. Personally, I think the M's could use another starter who throws mid to upper 90's. Other than Paxton, most are starters can only hit low 90's. Our bullpen however, they can light it up.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Yeah his velocity was down in the low 90's on his previous two bad starts against the Sox and Yanks. I read somewhere that prior to the game Mel told him to let it rip against the Orioles. Not sure the reason for the velocity dip in those two games.

I've always believed that a great fastball is arguably the best pitch in baseball. It sets up all the other pitches. If you look at all the best pitchers in baseball today, they can all throw in the upper 90's: Kluber, Scherzer, Severino, Verlander, DeGrom, Sale, Paxton, etc. Personally, I think the M's could use another starter who throws mid to upper 90's. Other than Paxton, most are starters can only hit low 90's. Our bullpen however, they can light it up.

Yeah, while finesse pitchers can still be effective, essentially the M's now have 3 or 4 of them in the rotation. That's probably too much.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• We are looking at happ or boyd.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Shanegotyou11 wrote:We are looking at happ or boyd.

Don't really want either one. I know Happ has good numbers this season, but I don't think he is the missing piece to put us over the top. IMO Happ is a good #3, I think we need a legit #1/#2 type of pitcher. Boyd's teammate Fulmer would be nice, but doubt we can get him. Rays have some nice arms and will likely be sellers. If we could get Archer or Snell I'd be willing to sell on some prospects for them.

LeBlanc looks like he is coming back down to earth, which was expected. With how Felix has pitched as of late, wouldn't shock me if LeBlanc gets moved out of the rotation if we do trade for a starting pitcher.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Ugh.... Nicasio's in.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thanks a lot Colome!!!
    L.O.B.
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

• Colome really has not been very good since we traded for him. Starting to think we may want to go with Pazos as the set up guy. His ERA with the M's is almost 7. Might want to rethink his role in the pen.

EDIT: SEAGER!
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Maybe Seager has turned the corner?

.....Maybe?

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Colome really has not been very good since we traded for him. Starting to think we may want to go with Pazos as the set up guy. His ERA with the M's is almost 7. Might want to rethink his role in the pen.

Yeah, he's pretty awful. Remember, he had close to a 4.50 ERA with the Rays this year, so he's been pretty bad all year. I'm ready to chalk this up as yet another failure of a pitcher centered trade by Dipoto.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Quite a win.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:Quite a win.

Agreed, let's hope for a sweep tomorrow.
    L.O.B.
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

• I see we found a way to squeak out a one run win, keep our extra inning record unblemished, and grab Diaz his 30th save.
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:We are looking at happ or boyd.

Don't really want either one. I know Happ has good numbers this season, but I don't think he is the missing piece to put us over the top. IMO Happ is a good #3, I think we need a legit #1/#2 type of pitcher. Boyd's teammate Fulmer would be nice, but doubt we can get him. Rays have some nice arms and will likely be sellers. If we could get Archer or Snell I'd be willing to sell on some prospects for them.

LeBlanc looks like he is coming back down to earth, which was expected. With how Felix has pitched as of late, wouldn't shock me if LeBlanc gets moved out of the rotation if we do trade for a starting pitcher.

There's absolutely no way the Rays give up Snell. That'd be like us trading away Felix early in his prime. Snell's young, talented, and will be their ace for years to come. Archer, however, has been mentioned in trade talks....

A rotation of Pax, Archer, Felix, Gonzales, and Leake wouldn't be too far from dominating.
    avengerboater
    NET Practice Squad

• Another night, another one run game. Ugly or not, they are doing what they're supposed to......smoke the crap teams.
    Nice to see Seagar finally contributing as well. Absolutely no give up in this team.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• It may only be Baltimore, but a sweep is a sweep. 20 games over .500 again.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• 1 for 18 with RISP and they still win. :34853_doh:

Gordon scores from 1st on a single and an error.

Gotta win the games you're supposed to. :2thumbs:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:1 for 18 with RISP and they still win. :34853_doh:

I dont have stats, but this seems to be an issue with this team.

(as well as not advancing a player on 2nd base with no outs)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• 9 game home stand. We're healthy. I See a clear path to 60 wins in this home stand. Pyched.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    sutz wrote:1 for 18 with RISP and they still win. :34853_doh:

I dont have stats, but this seems to be an issue with this team.

(as well as not advancing a player on 2nd base with no outs)

We're actually 9th in the MLB with a BA of .256 with RISP. That's pretty good. We're 5th in the AL behind Houston, Boston, Minny, and Oakland.

However, we're 16th in the MLB when it comes to scoring runs with RISP.

What that says to me is that we're getting hits, but we're just not scoring or our guys are getting thrown out at the plate/bases. We're actually tied for 3rd (with ATL) in the MLB with a team BA of .260. Only Boston and Houston are better than us at .266.
    avengerboater
    NET Practice Squad

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information