Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Ruminator wrote:Thanks, Dee Gordon, for bringing a bit of FIRE to the M's clubhouse. Much welcomed.

Great Point. Love his energy and he looks like a natural centerfielder, plus he is hitting well.

Agreed! Love how fired up he was. That was a great opening series. Hopefully they can stay healthy this year
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Well, at least we're going to San Francisco. Cruz wouldn't play much there anyway. ;)

I heard he was in the locker without the boot after today's game. Maybe it isn't too bad after all. Hard to not feel snake-bit though.

Haniger is hitting .625. Where's the guy who said he was a wasted roster spot? :laugh:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Oh, and a shout out to Leake. Got what we signed him for, an inning eating machine. 7 innings, 101 pitches, 2 runs. If he can do that 20-30 times he could win us some games.

Nothing flashy, just works through the order. Puts the ball in play and trusts his defense, and we have a pretty good defense out there. Looks like he could be a solid #3 for us. Good get.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• So really, the only really bad pitch this series was the pitch to Alanso for a Salami..not a bad start else whise.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:Well, at least we're going to San Francisco. Cruz wouldn't play much there anyway. ;)

I heard he was in the locker without the boot after today's game. Maybe it isn't too bad after all. Hard to not feel snake-bit though.

Haniger is hitting .625. Where's the guy who said he was a wasted roster spot? :laugh:

:2thumbs:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Great opening series. The team feels different. Stay healthy is all I ask. Then we can see for sure how special they are.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Nice start to the season. After leaving a lot of guys on base early, they really got it rollin' yesterday. 3 one run games, and win the series vs. a contender? Heck yes.
    Hanigar is a ridiculous talent too. A lot of options for this team on offense. Funniest part of the weekend was after that blow hard Jim Moore whined and moaned about Paxton being the starter on opening day, he was by far the worst of the 3 starters :roll: Dude is clueless. I'm not worried about Paxton, but sometimes his toughness seems to be in question.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I think it's really likely that Paxton is the best pitcher on the team at this point despite his poor start on Saturday. When he was healthy last season, he looked like one of the best pitchers in the league.

Good start to the season in general though. That was a very good team and those were 3 very good starting pitchers they just took 2 out 3 from.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Great start to the season. Lets not look too much into the first few games. I'd be shocked if Paxton struggles this season and Felix is lights out.

I heard Zunino should return once he is eligible to come. M's are suppose to make a decision on Cruz shortly.

On a side note, wasn't fun watching highlights yesterday and watching Smoak launch two home runs. Also was nice to see Rodney implode on the season opener and blow a save for the Twins.

I'd be shocked if the Astros don't win the division, that team is loaded. Gerrit Cole is basically an ace and they just added him to their staff. It just sucks that we are in the same division as them. Which basically gives us a shot at one of the two wild cards, and I'd assume one of the AL East teams will take one of those spots, basically leaving one spot for us to try for. I still have my doubts with the playoffs because of the competition in the AL, but there is still plenty of season left to be played.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• I've noticed M's have lots of days off early in the season. They have another mid series off day on Friday. Strange.

And that was me who gave Haniger a hard time. Spring training doenst mean much in terms of wins and losses, but individual player stats mean a little. NFL especially. People go crazy in the pre season about who's playing well and who's not. Despite Haniger's great start it's still weird to me he flipped the switch like that. But then look at Seager. Played well in ST and only has 1 hit I think so far in the reg season. Healy with no hits yet. Part of me thinks it's mental. Maybe guys put too much pressure on themselves once the reg season starts and they play poorly OR as with Haniger, they play better when the real season starts. If Seager and Healy don't improve I will make sure to trash them as well maybe it will get them going.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Haniger with a bases loaded 2 rbi single in the first inning. :2thumbs:
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Crizilla wrote:I've noticed M's have lots of days off early in the season. They have another mid series off day on Friday. Strange.

And that was me who gave Haniger a hard time. Spring training doenst mean much in terms of wins and losses, but individual player stats mean a little. NFL especially. People go crazy in the pre season about who's playing well and who's not. Despite Haniger's great start it's still weird to me he flipped the switch like that. But then look at Seager. Played well in ST and only has 1 hit I think so far in the reg season. Healy with no hits yet. Part of me thinks it's mental. Maybe guys put too much pressure on themselves once the reg season starts and they play poorly OR as with Haniger, they play better when the real season starts. If Seager and Healy don't improve I will make sure to trash them as well maybe it will get them going.

You did go crazy..That is ok Mitch loves you :lol:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Great way to start the season. 3-1. Haniger cooled off a bit, but still with 2RBI and a run scored. Seagar contributing to the hit parade, gotta love that.

And a shout out to Gonzalez. Pretty solid 6 innings, not bad for the #4 guy. ;)

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:Great way to start the season. 3-1. Haniger cooled off a bit, but still with 2RBI and a run scored. Seagar contributing to the hit parade, gotta love that.

And a shout out to Gonzalez. Pretty solid 6 innings, not bad for the #4 guy. ;)

Excellent points. Wait until they get the 3 injured players back, Cruz, Zunino, and Gamel.’That’s a scary line-up!!!! :2thumbs:

Got to stay healthy!!!!!

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Crizilla wrote:I've noticed M's have lots of days off early in the season. They have another mid series off day on Friday. Strange.

MLB has put in all of these days off for potential weather postponements to allow make ups now instead of mid season
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Mariners have a scary offense.

Last time mariners won 2 at home and lost one at home and then won road opener?

Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Evaluating this team after 4 games of a 162 game season is a bit like judging the Boston Marathon after the first 10 yards. Admittedly, these are excellent signs. I have to admit I'm finding myself encouraged. I recall that 1990 Reds team -- they started off the season winning their first 9 games and went on to win the World Series. Let's hope that this M's team can get on a bit of a roll to start the season and maintain some consistency. We'll see where this Mariners team is at on June 1st and especially after they've had a chance to face the rest of the AL West.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Hawkscanner wrote:Evaluating this team after 4 games of a 162 game season is a bit like judging the Boston Marathon after the first 10 yards. Admittedly, these are excellent signs. I have to admit I'm finding myself encouraged. I recall that 1990 Reds team -- they started off the season winning their first 9 games and went on to win the World Series. Let's hope that this M's team can get on a bit of a roll to start the season and maintain some consistency. We'll see where this Mariners team is at on June 1st and especially after they've had a chance to face the rest of the AL West.

We saw some of this potential last season as well when the team was relatively healthy.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Marco Gonzalez and whoever the #5 starter (Erasamo?) will be key to the season. Last season we got almost nothing from the back end of our rotation.

Also glad we are playing the Giants early in the season while they are pretty banged up as of now.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Marco Gonzalez and whoever the #5 starter (Erasamo?) will be key to the season. Last season we got almost nothing from the back end of our rotation.

Also glad we are playing the Giants early in the season while they are pretty banged up as of now.

Marco and Erasmo looked good last season, unfortunately they were forced to be the top of the rotation while Pax and Felix were hurt.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Marco Gonzalez and whoever the #5 starter (Erasamo?) will be key to the season. Last season we got almost nothing from the back end of our rotation.

Marco and Erasmo looked good last season, unfortunately they were forced to be the top of the rotation while Pax and Felix were hurt.

Very much this, with one exception. Marco was on his first year back from Tommy John surgery. He looks stronger, and especially looks like he has a decent cut fastball, and a good slider. Erasmo remains to be seen what he can contribute. Hearing the usual rosy talk about his progress, but what matters is what happens when his toe hits the rubber.

When your top two starters can't do 40 or 50 starts between them, the team is in trouble. 40 pitchers and 17 different starters used won't get a team anywhere. We actually didn't do too bad considering those numbers. :229031_shrug:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Marco Gonzalez and whoever the #5 starter (Erasamo?) will be key to the season. Last season we got almost nothing from the back end of our rotation.

Gonzalez was not good at all last season, hopefully this season is a different story.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Bad Félix showed up today. Way too wild, got away from pitching backwards.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:Bad Félix showed up today. Way too wild, got away from pitching backwards.

Bad Felix? How can there be a bad Felix if there isn't a good Felix? His play today has been the norm for the last 2+ years. Nothing new.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Bad Félix showed up today. Way too wild, got away from pitching backwards.

Bad Felix? How can there be a bad Felix if there isn't a good Felix? His play today has been the norm for the last 2+ years. Nothing new.

You kind of have a point. His fastball is a below average batting practice pitch. Needs to use his other plus pitches more, and less fastballs.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Definitely a wake-up call game. Pazos wasn't a lot better, though he did finally escape the inning. :34853_doh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Couldnt the M's have waited until May to get us angry?

Bad Felix! No! Bad Felix! Time out time for Felix. Go sit in the corner
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Sad to see a shell of a player. He wasted his tenure here on poop teams. So now he is mediocre while his offense is damn good.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Paxton got rocked in his start. Should we give up on him too? I'll wait to judge on Felix. Guys get rocked, it happens.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Fertilizer occurs. SF had been on a cold streak of sorts with their bats. They woke up. This was actually only Felix's 5th start of spring training, basically. I try not to panic til May at least. ;)

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Exactly. It's clear that he has a TON of wear and tear on his arm for his age. If they get good 3rd starter level out of him, I'm sure they'd be happy with that. Not worried at all about Paxton either. And Leake and Gonzales looked excellent. 3-2 start is pretty solid. The sad thing about Felix' career is that in his prime, he had maybe the worst run support in the history of the league. Could have EASILY won 40 to 50 more games. It was maddening to see him go 8 innings and give up a run or two and have them score zero or 1 run to match.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Yeah I'm not worried about Paxton, the only part about him that worries me is his health. Can he give us 30 starts this season, that is unclear. Leake might be the most sure guy in the rotation, as he has durability and has shown to be a solid #2/#3 starter. Lets give Felix more time before we write him off, but I think at best he is probably a #3 starter, and worst case scenario is that he is no longer starter material.

Dipoto just never fixed the starting rotation, and I think it is going to come back to bite us. If Paxton does go down, we are looking at a pretty ugly rotation.

I still have my doubts about the team with how the AL is constructed. We aren't winning the division. One of the wildcards will come from the AL East, that basically leaves us one spot to compete with multiple teams.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• No doubt, my god they were snake bitten last year. Just a ridiculous amount of injuries, especially to pitching.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Pax did OK through 5, but gave up a 2 run dinger to tie in the 6th, so he's out of the running as pitcher of record. Had thrown 96 pitches.

Damn hitters score 2 in the 1st and couldn't add on through 5. :34853_doh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Runners on 1st and 3rd and no one out and they can’t score. :34853_doh: :pukeface:

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• 10 LOB through 6 innings. :34853_doh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Vincent... Ugh.
    "I want it! I hate losing!"
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

• What a terrible game. What were they, 2-17 with RISP. Ugh. I know it's early, but Seager is a major problem. He's just a black hole in the heart of the lineup.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Yeah his slow starts are getting REAL OLD. Maybe he needs to start spring training in the middle of November.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:Yeah his slow starts are getting REAL OLD. Maybe he needs to start spring training in the middle of November.

Seager can't hit in April and into about mid may. He has been a rally killer.

Horrible loss. I think ms win today with a healthy offense. I think its a 4-5 run lead before twins scored.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Talons are huge.. lucky for Pax.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Thepeelsessions wrote:What a terrible game. What were they, 2-17 with RISP. Ugh. I know it's early, but Seager is a major problem. He's just a black hole in the heart of the lineup.

And unfortunately, Healy has started off even worse than Seager. Having those two back to back in the lineup is killing a lot of very promising innings right now. Gordon and Segura are getting on base a ton, but if Cano or Haniger is an out, it's basically inning over with Seager and Healy up next.

Even though it's very early in the season, I'd like to see them switch something up. Maybe sit Healy for a game or 2 and get him a little extra 1 on 1 time with Edgar and try to figure out what's going on, and in the mean time, start Vogelbach at 1st and, hell, I don't know, maybe Motter at DH?
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Don't know about anyone else, but nothing annoys me more than leaving guys on base. And the M's are ridiculous good at it. Painful
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• They need to drop Seager and Healy in the lineup. That usually get guys attention, and if that doesn’t work sit em for a bit.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• OK, that's what the good teams do. Take an early lead, then tack on more as the game goes on. Healy with a 3 run double and Heredia a 2 run homer in the 8th to make it 10-3.

Oh, and Seagar with a 2 run homer. ;)

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Seager and Healy coming up big today. Healy only 1 for 4 but that 1 was huge. He has been getting good contact all year just nothing getting through.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy wrote:

Yeah, nice milestone. Always hate for players to have something like that hanging over them. Hopefully, it continues.

Cano has apparently got a hit in every game so far.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

Yeah, nice milestone. Always hate for players to have something like that hanging over them. Hopefully, it continues.

Cano has apparently got a hit in every game so far.

M's are solid..Pitching is their ?
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Man, that was a great game today. I lived how they kept their for on the pedal to put Minnesota away. So glad to see Seager (and Healy to an extent) break out. Heredia too. He's on of my favorite players on the team. I loved watching him come along last season. He should be the starting left fielder right now. He's a young, exciting, promising, and hungry player. Servais should be getting him more time, especially over Ichiro.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:27 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information