Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • another series win.

Add wins up before june schedule. We still need a starter or two but this is fun. I love baseball.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• As bipolar as this team seems to be, only a game and a half out. Cano is missing out on what could turn out to be a special season.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:
    TransGenderHawkFan wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:Hanny and Segura bailing out a bad line up. Dipoto > Servais.

That shitty manager has the Mariners 1.5 games out of first in the West and 1.5 games clear in the wildcard.

I never said he was "shitty". At times I criticize his decisions. Big whoop. Every day people get judged on their job. Guess we just have to wait and see what happens at the end. But from what I've seen so far I'd say Servais is on par with McLendon.

You show up only to criticize. Usually crickets when the team is doing well. Except, the team is doing well so now you are showing up to criticize how they are doing it.

Players need rest so a lineup will have reserve players. This is compounded by Cano missing. Seager is struggling and needs to step back a bit. Sometimes that is an entire day off, sometimes just to DH. Cruz is nursing a nagging foot injury so he will need intermittent rest.

You are quick to offer criticism, but cower when offering a solution. Not hindsight either.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• I'm not a Servais fan either, but he certainly has the team right in the mix. My beef with him is more how he handles the pitching staff. Oh well, I look forward to him continuing to prove me wrong :irishdrinkers:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:He's a young skipper, I remember we had one before, canned his ass and he ultimately became a pretty decent skipper, Bob Melvin.

The team has done that with quite a few players, too. :229031_shrug:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• SoulfishHawk wrote:I'm not a Servais fan either, but he certainly has the team right in the mix. My beef with him is more how he handles the pitching staff. Oh well, I look forward to him continuing to prove me wrong :irishdrinkers:

Catch 22 for him at times with the pitching staff. Paxton is about the only one that can go deep into games. That will stress the bullpen.

Guy lost a perennial all star from the lineup and haven't skipped a beat.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• TransGenderHawkFan wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:Hanny and Segura bailing out a bad line up. Dipoto > Servais.

That shitty manager has the Mariners 1.5 games out of first in the West and 1.5 games clear in the wildcard.

I never said he was "shitty". At times I criticize his decisions. Big whoop. Every day people get judged on their job. Guess we just have to wait and see what happens at the end. But from what I've seen so far I'd say Servais is on par with McLendon.

You show up only to criticize. Usually crickets when the team is doing well. Except, the team is doing well so now you are showing up to criticize how they are doing it.

Players need rest so a lineup will have reserve players. This is compounded by Cano missing. Seager is struggling and needs to step back a bit. Sometimes that is an entire day off, sometimes just to DH. Cruz is nursing a nagging foot injury so he will need intermittent rest.

You are quick to offer criticism, but cower when offering a solution. Not hindsight either.

Ha Ha pretty much spot on..
    But..I like it when he does the players because they come out and get hot after.
    Every team has a few fans like this and the M's probaly have more than usual so
    it doesn't bother me too much because can you really blame them?I have been
    around from the start and trust me I have gotten upset many times but after a
    couple times you learn to accept there are things you cannot control.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:

Ha Ha pretty much spot on..
    But..I like it when he does the players because they come out and get hot after.
    Every team has a few fans like this and the M's probaly have more than usual so
    it doesn't bother me too much because can you really blame them?I have been
    around from the start and trust me I have gotten upset many times but after a
    couple times you learn to accept there are things you cannot control.

I have always had an issue with the, "Not happy, unless I'm not happy," crowd. It is an endless cycle of somebody else's fault with a dash of hindsight so they can never be wrong.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• Cautiously optimistic is very realistic for M's fans. 17 years and counting w/playoffs. But, I do have a good feeling about this team, and they have a real shot at playoffs. IF they can keep healthy. Would like to see them get another solid starter to add to the rotation. And Nicasio scares that crap out of me when he's out there. I just feel like Servais leaves guys in there way too long. Hopefully he'll improve on that.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Great.. SMH
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Man the Mariners just can't catch a break. I had a weird feeling about Dee after seeing him limp around a bit during Sunday's game. It doesn't sound like he will be out all that long. If he were to miss games through the all-star break I think we'd possibly look at adding an outfielder or second baseman. Even with losing some position guys, I still think the biggest need is starting pitching. The usual names will come up around the deadline like Chris Archer and Cole Hamels. I would really like to see us go after a guy who we can either rent for the rest of the season or a guy that can come on board and play for multiple years. I think we are still kicking ourselves for not going after Verlander. Not only has he been the best pitcher in baseball, but he went within our divison. Kind of like Otahni, double whammy.

I'm all for our great offense, but I don't see how we can stack up against other elite teams in a playoff series. After Paxton, we will be outmatched in the rotation. As great as Paxton is, not sure I'd take him over aces like Sale, Verlander, Gerrit Cole or Severino. The great part of the playoffs is you don't need five great starting pitchers, just three. If we do add an arm to the rotation, it will be interesting to see who gets bumped out.

By the way, has anyone been following Tampa Bay? They started their bullpen guy Sergio Romo two consecutive days in a row. I think he pitched just about an inning both games, and then handed the ball off to the starter the remainder of the game. I'm curious if this will change baseball.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• We need a starter over position player imho. I agree with hawk. We are outgunned minus paxton. Probably need two more.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• What happened to Hani?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Haniger was hit by a pitch on the wrist. X-ray's came back negative so he's going to be day to day.

I for one am sick of teams pitching inside on us so comfortably and hitting our guys. How many times do we have to lose guys like Cruz and Haniger before they grow a pair and start punishing teams with a little baseball justice?
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:Haniger was hit by a pitch on the wrist. X-ray's came back negative so he's going to be day to day.

I for one am sick of teams pitching inside on us so comfortably and hitting our guys. How many times do we have to lose guys like Cruz and Haniger before they grow a pair and start punishing teams with a little baseball justice?

Yep, they need to start “pitching inside” to other teams at opportune times.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Seattle is the #1 most "hit by pitch" team in the American league, and only second in baseball to the Cubs this year. That's after being 4th in baseball last year and 3rd the year before that. SMH
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• They were discussing that very situation on the Radio.. even thought they should let Paxton blow some inside.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Great come from behind win again. Hopefully Segura is okay, got shaken up on his slide home.

That foul ball there was close to being a homer.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Based Heredia.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:Haniger was hit by a pitch on the wrist. X-ray's came back negative so he's going to be day to day.

We beaned a player the next inning.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:Haniger was hit by a pitch on the wrist. X-ray's came back negative so he's going to be day to day.

Yeah, and he came around to score.

Oops. :laugh:

Helluva game, though.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:Haniger was hit by a pitch on the wrist. X-ray's came back negative so he's going to be day to day.

I missed that, was it specifically in response to Haniger getting hit though or was it just coincidence?

Also Lucroy totally blocked the plate and risked seriously injuring Segura on the play at the plate. I agree with Mike Salk on the radio this morning that he should be hit on his first at bat today...
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• We need to see about getting Hamels.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• DJrmb wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:

I missed that, was it specifically in response to Haniger getting hit though or was it just coincidence?

Also Lucroy totally blocked the plate and risked seriously injuring Segura on the play at the plate. I agree with Mike Salk on the radio this morning that he should be hit on his first at bat today...

It was on purpose. He got two outs and beaned dude in ribs.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:

Yeah, and he came around to score.

Oops. :laugh:

Helluva game, though.

Lol yea but i liked it.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy wrote:

Huh?Where else would they play if not Safeco?It was built for baseball..
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

Huh?Where else would they play if not Safeco?It was built for baseball..

I think Seattle has such bad PTSD from the Sonics leaving that even re-upping on a lease is a big deal. :lol:
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Oakland was hot and played well against both Boston and NY and M's just took the series. Let's go baby
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:Oakland was hot and played well against both Boston and NY and M's just took the series. Let's go baby

YEEES! A series win. Great performance by Gonzales
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:Oakland was hot and played well against both Boston and NY and M's just took the series. Let's go baby

And you have just redeemed yourself!
    At least for one post.. :lol: Seriously though-It is very nice to see the M's win
    with all the trials and tribulations they have gone through the past two weeks.
    Marco seems like another prized pickup that nobody saw besides the GM.
    I just wish he could draft all the players himself because the guy can see
    things in players that they themselves cannot.
    I won't be hard on his trades because he has been damn good at it.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Not sure how confident I feel in LeBlanc and Gonzales going foward but they have been great there last few start. Hopefully we can score some runs tomorrow and Felix can have a good outing, he's due for a quality start and seems like he usually pitches well against Oakland.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• As much as people get on management for their mistakes, Dipoto deserves some real credit for some of the things he has done. The Walker trade is CLEARLY a win for the M's, even if at the time it didn't seem like it. Adding Gordon was a damn good move. Gonzalez is looking like a solid move as well.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Good win. Ms could of had 4 runs but Oakland's defense was super nice minus the error that allowed the only run.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Hitting in the double play w/the bases juiced, ugh. Wasn't surprised one bit. No reason for him to even be in there in that situation. Loved seeing the RF in his first ever game. And at 28, long journey.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Originally I thought starting pitching is where this team needed to focus in any trades to bolster the team. However, I'm thinking that may not be the best approach now.

You are not DFA'ing Felix or Leak, they are on this team unless they get injured. Paxton of course is your ace and isn't going anywhere. That leaves 2 possible spots to add a starter and probably not even that really...

Marco has shown that he is at minimum a major league pitcher and has flashed at times really quality stuff. No way you are DFA'ing him just to add a rental for this year (Marco Gonzalez is out of options so you can not send him down without losing him).

That leaves the last SP spot. LeBlanc is nothing special but has that veteran savvy about him. He'll get knocked around I'm sure sometime but for the most part he's keeping you in most games. Plus at some point you'll have Erasmo coming back. When he does I'm guessing one of those guys will be long relief out of the BP and the other remains the starter. Possibly being used a lot in tandem?

I don't really see anywhere to add another starting pitcher unless you're able to trade one of your current starters in the deal and upgrade... It's seeming like the best way to boost this team in the trade market is going to be with a position player/bat. I know that eventually you have Cano coming back which complicates things for a few games but you have to plan for not having him in any kind of playoff run. So, ultimately I think it's best just to plan like you don't have him at all this season. I personally don't have much confidence in Gamel's bat either. I'd be much more comfortable with him as the 4th outfielder with Heredia and Haniger manning the corner outfield positions and maybe an Adam Jones at CF. The biggest problem I have with that is not having enough left handed bats though.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• The Mariners candidate to have a one inning starter? Felix. Guy is trash in the first inning and a mid 3 era after the 1st.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• Felix in the 1st....4 runs on 4 hits.....The next five innings....1 hit, no runs.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• Once again Felix struggles early. I think during the broadcast they said that coming into this game 11 of his 34 runs given up have come in the first inning.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• I wish we would have put a pinch runner in for Cruz in the 8th. He didn't score from first on a two out double which would have tied the game. What a shame.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• The Manager should know the situation, and have a feel for what's going on. Often it seems like Servais is clueless. Speed on the base path in the late innings is Managing 101.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Yeah he should have pinch ran for Cruz. No doubt anyone with average speed would have scored.

Should the M's pull a Tampa Bay and start a reliever on Felix's next start and then bring in Felix in the second inning. After the first inning, his ERA this season probably looks a lot better than what it is now.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Yeah he should have pinch ran for Cruz. No doubt anyone with average speed would have scored.

Should the M's pull a Tampa Bay and start a reliever on Felix's next start and then bring in Felix in the second inning. After the first inning, his ERA this season probably looks a lot better than what it is now.

His/their game’s planning sucks. Most of the RBI’s came on 90mph 4 seam fastballs,’and the other came on an 89mph sinker.
    Not enough separation in speed between those 2 pitches IMHO.
    I think less fastballs early on would help. His fastball is BY FAR his worst pitch.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Yeah he should have pinch ran for Cruz. No doubt anyone with average speed would have scored.

His/their game’s planning sucks. Most of the RBI’s came on 90mph 4 seam fastballs,’and the other came on an 89mph sinker.
    I think less fastballs early on would help. His fastball is BY FAR his worst pitch.

Biggest issue is all of those pitches are flat. You can get away with slight speed variation if you have movement and location. He has neither at the moment, and definitely void of it in the first inning.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• TransGenderHawkFan wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Yeah he should have pinch ran for Cruz. No doubt anyone with average speed would have scored.

Biggest issue is all of those pitches are flat. You can get away with slight speed variation if you have movement and location. He has neither at the moment, and definitely void of it in the first inning.

He needs a new pitch..I keep seeing two..What else can he throw?A curve?Split finger?
    Slider?
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• On another note, heard this morning that Felix has an ERA of 12.27 in the 1st inning, ouch.
    Pretty good after the 1st, but wow that is brutal :(
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

He needs a new pitch..I keep seeing two..What else can he throw?A curve?Split finger?
    Slider?

https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.aspx?playerid=4772&position=P

He's actually thrown his other pitches a ton this year. The problem to me is that he's yet again lost even more speed off his fastball. Felix isn't the pinpoint type of pitcher, and may never be. Half the time he throws a pitch I don't think he has any idea on where it will end up. Someone needs to work with him and add 2-3 mph back to his FB and I bet he'd be a TOR guy again. Question is why hasn't that happened already? Is it Felix being stubborn or the organization being scared of pissing him off?
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:His/their game’s planning sucks. Most of the RBI’s came on 90mph 4 seam fastballs,’and the other came on an 89mph sinker.

Slider?

https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.aspx?playerid=4772&position=P

He's actually thrown his other pitches a ton this year. The problem to me is that he's yet again lost even more speed off his fastball. Felix isn't the pinpoint type of pitcher, and may never be. Half the time he throws a pitch I don't think he has any idea on where it will end up. Someone needs to work with him and add 2-3 mph back to his FB and I bet he'd be a TOR guy again. Question is why hasn't that happened already? Is it Felix being stubborn or the organization being scared of pissing him off?

I think he is shot. I know after first inning, he has a era of 3.88 but you cant exclude that. You can look at any other starter and decide what inning hurts them as well. Felix doesnt have the stuff to load the bases and escape with 0-1 runs limited anymore.

From 2015 on his era has ballooned each year. From 3.53 to 3.82 to 4.36 to now 5.58.

Could he become a 4 to 4.10 era pitcher? Yes. Thats about all i think he can be now.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Was talking to a friend about this recently. If you look at Felix, he has the arm of a guy much older than he is. Came up VERY early, and was a total innings eater. One hell of a career, but he just doesn't look the same. Sad to see, but age will catch up, along w/wear and tear on the arm. Sucks that he likely lost at least 50 games because of crap run support in his career. Maybe the worst run support in the history of the league.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information