Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Mariners just traded for Alex Colome and Denard Span. Colome will help the bullpen but would much rather get starting pitching help. Is Denard Span really that much better than Heredia at this point in his career? But even when Dee comes back to hold down 2nd, it will be nice to have an extra outfielder. Overall I like the trade as I don't think Moore is ever going to be more than a back of the rotation starter, although I don't know much about the Romero kid.

Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Looks like these moves are to give Gamel more competition and strengthen the bullpen. Pretty sure Span won't be a Heredia replacement.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    TransGenderHawkFan wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:His/their game’s planning sucks. Most of the RBI’s came on 90mph 4 seam fastballs,’and the other came on an 89mph sinker.
    Not enough separation in speed between those 2 pitches IMHO.
    I think less fastballs early on would help. His fastball is BY FAR his worst pitch.

Biggest issue is all of those pitches are flat. You can get away with slight speed variation if you have movement and location. He has neither at the moment, and definitely void of it in the first inning.

He needs a new pitch..I keep seeing two..What else can he throw?A curve?Split finger?
    Slider?

https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.aspx?playerid=4772&position=P

He's actually thrown his other pitches a ton this year. The problem to me is that he's yet again lost even more speed off his fastball. Felix isn't the pinpoint type of pitcher, and may never be. Half the time he throws a pitch I don't think he has any idea on where it will end up. Someone needs to work with him and add 2-3 mph back to his FB and I bet he'd be a TOR guy again. Question is why hasn't that happened already? Is it Felix being stubborn or the organization being scared of pissing him off?

Nice imfo find..
    Not sure how you can add speed unless your moved to the BP.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Yeah it sounds like Span will split time in LF with Gamel. Colome will take the Phelps role as the set up man.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Mariners just traded for Alex Colome and Denard Span. Colome will help the bullpen but would much rather get starting pitching help. Is Denard Span really that much better than Heredia at this point in his career? But even when Dee comes back to hold down 2nd, it will be nice to have an extra outfielder. Overall I like the trade as I don't think Moore is ever going to be more than a back of the rotation starter, although I don't know much about the Romero kid.

Span will be LF, heredia in CF. Gamel will be 4th OF.

I like the colome get.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Any body getting used to the new M's, winning one run ball games? :mrgreen:

Nice game tonight, good that they could give Pax the win. He's been kind of like Felix from a few years back, not getting wins while pitching pretty good games.

Still need more offense. New guys in at end of the week, I guess, and they were saying that Dee might be ready for the Texas series.

10 over .500 again.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Crazy the amount of 1 run game wins we're having.. but, I'll take it.
    Great job Diaz and some damn timely hitting.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:Nice imfo find..

Well, when they worked with Paxton to change his armslot he went from a 94/95 mph guy to a 98/99 mph guy. Not sure if Felix would be open to changing something that drastic at this point in his career but if it could help he should.

Also there's got to be some strength and conditioning stuff he can do to get stronger. I mean how is he losing velocity off his pitches in the first place? It's got to be something right? Felix was once a guy that could hit 97 at times, some loss in velocity is to be expected as pitchers age but I feel like we don't have the full story with Felix going from a guy that was 95-97 to a guy that's 89 now.

Verlander is a guy most see as a good parallel to Felix. They're both in their 14th season yet Verlander still has a good fastball averaging around 95mph and that despite throwing over 50 more innings than Felix and also having a college career before starting in the big leagues unlike Felix who started in the league at 19. Verlander is older, has much more mileage on his arm, yet hasn't lost nearly 10mph off his fastball like Felix. That's why I don't believe Felix's dip in velocity is just all natural aging, which may also mean there's a way to fix it some...
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Great game, great trade for depth.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• DJrmb wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Nice imfo find..

Well, when they worked with Paxton to change his armslot he went from a 94/95 mph guy to a 98/99 mph guy. Not sure if Felix would be open to changing something that drastic at this point in his career but if it could help he should.

Also there's got to be some strength and conditioning stuff he can do to get stronger. I mean how is he losing velocity off his pitches in the first place? It's got to be something right? Felix was once a guy that could hit 97 at times, some loss in velocity is to be expected as pitchers age but I feel like we don't have the full story with Felix going from a guy that was 95-97 to a guy that's 89 now.

Verlander is a guy most see as a good parallel to Felix. They're both in their 14th season yet Verlander still has a good fastball averaging around 95mph and that despite throwing over 50 more innings than Felix and also having a college career before starting in the big leagues unlike Felix who started in the league at 19. Verlander is older, has much more mileage on his arm, yet hasn't lost nearly 10mph off his fastball like Felix. That's why I don't believe Felix's dip in velocity is just all natural aging, which may also mean there's a way to fix it some...

Great points ..
    We can only hope Felix can do something along those lines.
    As for the trade:I like it a lot and have always liked Span even though
    he is probaly not the version that was with the Twins/ Nationals.
    The guy is a gamer.As for Colome,I know very little of him.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• interesting....we saved 11 million with the Cano suspension and got 4.75 million from the Rays. The acquisition cost 13.75 million. Sounds like shrewd moves with the budget by the FO. The aging outfeilder can become a free agent while we have some years of control over the pitcher.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Zunino !!!!!
    Bevell's Bubble Busted
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

• bevellisthedevil wrote:Zunino !!!!!

The Mendoza Hitting Hero
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• M's might be the toughest team in the league. They just keep battling through injuries (and suspensions) and winning close games.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:M's might be the toughest team in the league. They just keep battling through injuries (and suspensions) and winning close games.

Agree
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• The mariners lead the league in one run victories with 18 or 19, I believe. Have yet to be defeated in extras as well.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• What they're doing is impressive. I never would've thought their pitching would be their strength. For as much as the bats have underwhelmed, the pitching has carried them for a while now. It's encouraging.

And the trade, I kinda like it. It was obvious that Andrew Moore most likely never would have been a solid rotation guy. I could be wrong. But he just never really flashed anything to suggest otherwise. Kind of like Chase De Jong (how is he even still on the 40 man roster?). I'm excited to see what Colome will bring. More so than Span. I wonder if what the reports are saying are true, about him taking over LF. I hope Gamel stays and Span is the 4th outfielder. Gamel has worked hard to get to this point, and he's getting back into his groove after missing time. Span hasn't earned anything here.

I really hope they can find a taker for Seager. He's hurting this team so much at the plate. He's just an awful hitter. Why won't he ever adjust to the shift? He's a $100 million man, hitting sub .220. Unacceptable. It's time to move on.
    Last edited by Thepeelsessions on Sun May 27, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Our record in one win games tells me our bullpen has been great.

The starting pitching has surprised everyone. It is just a question of whether they can continue this. I have a hard time imagining LeBlanc being this great the rest of the season, but we will see. Marco has really settled in and that trade is looking great. If the team adds a starting pitcher will the team have the boldness to move Felix out of the rotation?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Wow! Seagar and Healy come through in the 8th. Colome in for the save. 3 up, 3 down.

3-1 M's. Sweeps the Twinkies. :irishdrinkers:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:Wow! Seagar and Healy come through in the 8th. Colome in for the save.

Nice win!!! Colome comes in and gets the save. He’s great “closer insurance” who can close and a great 8th inning guy.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• And the Indians beat the 'Stros so M's only one game back. :irishdrinkers:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Is this really happening?

Honestly im enjoying the ride right now.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Post game they said Segura passed the concussion protocol, so I guess he's day to day. :irishdrinkers:

A lot more moves today, but with Segura OK, maybe no more in the offing. They DFA's Motter. I know some folks will say good deal, but I like the kid. But our roster problems have gone beyond the 25 and are hitting the 40 now. Freitas went down, and Herrmann came up to catch. Did a pretty good job today for just walking in and grabbing a mitt. I have to say that Romine and Beckham are covering the defense fairly well. Still struggling at the plate, though. Somehow they just keep scratching out wins. Good practice for the stretch drive.

Now, if we could just learn how to beat the 'Stros. :Dunno:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Shanegotyou11 wrote:Is this really happening?

It is real and I wouldn't be surprised to see them add another starting pitcher as well.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• TransGenderHawkFan wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:Is this really happening?

It is real and I wouldn't be surprised to see them add another starting pitcher as well.

The good thing about making that move this early is that there is still plenty of time to line up more deals before the deadline. Looks like they really are "all in" this year and it is good to see. The team has a pretty solid base, Another addition or two could push us over the top.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Thought I saw it in real time but wasn’t sure but replay confirmed it. The twins left fielder to a horrible route to the ball that Healy hit on the double, he should have been able to cut that ball off and save his team a run. Bad for them, good for us as insurance runs are always welcome.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• TransGenderHawkFan wrote:

That’s actually quite likely if Seattle stays this hot.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Glad to see the Stros playing the Yanks while were playing Texas.. gotta get these wins against these mediocre teams.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:
    TransGenderHawkFan wrote:

The good thing about making that move this early is that there is still plenty of time to line up more deals before the deadline. Looks like they really are "all in" this year and it is good to see. The team has a pretty solid base, Another addition or two could push us over the top.

Exactly. Safeco was buzzing today.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:Glad to see the Stros playing the Yanks while were playing Texas.. gotta get these wins against these mediocre teams.

Honestly most "good" teams are just over .500 give or take vs other "good" teams but good teams beat up on the scrubs.

Mariners are 13-9 i believe vs teams over .500 and 19-11 vs sub .500 teams.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• This team, man. Wow. Between Zunino getting the Gatorade bath at home plate last night and Healy's clutch RBI double today, I am in baseball highlight heaven. Diving catches, clutch double plays, towering home run blasts, some great pitching in close games... We are truly getting it all.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:Post game they said Segura passed the concussion protocol, so I guess he's day to day. :irishdrinkers:

A lot more moves today, but with Segura OK, maybe no more in the offing. They DFA's Motter. I know some folks will say good deal, but I like the kid. But our roster problems have gone beyond the 25 and are hitting the 40 now. Freitas went down, and Herrmann came up to catch. Did a pretty good job today for just walking in and grabbing a mitt. I have to say that Romine and Beckham are covering the defense fairly well. Still struggling at the plate, though. Somehow they just keep scratching out wins. Good practice for the stretch drive.

Im struggling to figure out why Romine is in the lineup over Motter.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    sutz wrote:Post game they said Segura passed the concussion protocol, so I guess he's day to day. :irishdrinkers:

Mainly because he's a switch hitter, I think.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Sports Hernia wrote:Thought I saw it in real time but wasn’t sure but replay confirmed it. The twins left fielder to a horrible route to the ball that Healy hit on the double, he should have been able to cut that ball off and save his team a run. Bad for them, good for us as insurance runs are always welcome.

Actually, they were playing a bit shallow because there was a man on 2d. Wanted to be able to cut off the run at the plate. Healy just hit it by him. That was a rocket he hit.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    sutz wrote:Post game they said Segura passed the concussion protocol, so I guess he's day to day. :irishdrinkers:

What good is a switch hitter that cant get a hit either way?
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:

What good is a switch hitter that cant get a hit either way?

In fairness, Motter wasn't hitting either when we sent him down last time. I like the kid, but even I can admit that after a brief time early last season, he wasn't hitting at all. He was a dead pull hitter, but once the scouting report went out to not pitch him inside, his BA dropped below the Medoza line almost immediately. Romine is a swiss army knife in the field and can play D anywhere. Add in the switch hitter thing and he's more useful than Motter.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:

Because Motter is not good. That and he was DFA'd.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• It looks like a two man race for the wild card between us and the Angels.

I'll ask this question again, if we do add another starting pitcher, who is the odd man out of the rotation? I'll be pissed if they move on from LeBlanc if he continues to pitch well just because Felix has the name recognition and LeBlanc doesn't. All I ask of the M's is that they make the right decision, not the PR decision like playing Ichiro over Heredia to start the season.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Thought I saw it in real time but wasn’t sure but replay confirmed it. The twins left fielder to a horrible route to the ball that Healy hit on the double, he should have been able to cut that ball off and save his team a run. Bad for them, good for us as insurance runs are always welcome.

Actually, they were playing a bit shallow because there was a man on 2d. Wanted to be able to cut off the run at the plate. Healy just hit it by him. That was a rocket he hit.

That is true, but it was a horrible route still, and a horrible effort.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Hawk-Lock wrote:It looks like a two man race for the wild card between us and the Angels.

I'll ask this question again, if we do add another starting pitcher, who is the odd man out of the rotation? I'll be pissed if they move on from LeBlanc if he continues to pitch well just because Felix has the name recognition and LeBlanc doesn't. All I ask of the M's is that they make the right decision, not the PR decision like playing Ichiro over Heredia to start the season.

Either they go the PR route, or the fake injury route which is often done with struggling pitchers to give him and the coaching staff time to figure it out.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• 7, 8, 9 hitters today are batting .195, .214, and .143
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• Another one run win.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Interesting...

"In the past two weeks, the Mariners’ starting pitchers – Felix Hernandez, James Paxton, Wade LeBlanc, Christian Bergman (one start), Mike Leake and Marco Gonzales – have allowed 27 earned run in 130 2/3 innings for a 1.86 ERA. That’s the best in the major leagues.

Yes, their starting pitchers have collectively been the best in the majors since May 14."

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/ml ... 79874.html
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• Another win.

This is fun.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• TransGenderHawkFan wrote:Interesting...

"In the past two weeks, the Mariners’ starting pitchers – Felix Hernandez, James Paxton, Wade LeBlanc, Christian Bergman (one start), Mike Leake and Marco Gonzales – have allowed 27 earned run in 130 2/3 innings for a 1.86 ERA. That’s the best in the major leagues.

Yes, their starting pitchers have collectively been the best in the majors since May 14."

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/ml ... 79874.html

Nice win today. This team has some grit. Felix has probably given up most of the 27 runs the past two weeks. He's been arguably the worst pitcher (starting) thus far for the Mariners this season.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:It looks like a two man race for the wild card between us and the Angels.

No way to I agree with that. We're one game back of the Astros, with billions of injuries plaguing us. The AL West is there for the taking.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Another day another 1 run game. Had a great time at the stadium yesterday. This team is flat out different. Getting it done over and over again. Minus some major offensive pop. Colome' was a hell of a pick up, SO much better than NOcasio
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information