Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Just a few innings away from having first place all by ourself if Boston can hold on against the Astros.

Felix pitched great, but he did get out of a couple big jams. If a couple at bats go the other way we probably aren't singing this same tune.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• I think I just shaat myself. :D
    Attachments
    15280823083388362.png
    15280823083388362.png (27.29 KiB) Viewed 708 times
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:M's are 26-12 since being blown out by the White Sox on April 23rd

And they have the best record in baseball since Cano was suspended.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

• M's looking great. Felix was decent, less a couple inning jams. Interesting to see how they do against Boston next home stand. Zunino is garbage at the plate... rally killa..... overall pleasantly suprised....
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• hawker84 wrote:M's looking great. Felix was decent, less a couple inning jams. Interesting to see how they do against Boston next home stand. Zunino is garbage at the plate... rally killa..... overall pleasantly suprised....

8 innings, 1 ER, 5 hits, 7 Ks and one BB

That's "decent" these days?

Kept them in the game long enough for the Rays to pull their starter and let the bats win the game. Pretty excellent performance from him, really.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Vintage Felix, got out of his own jams. 8 innings 1 run is damn good regardless how it "looks"
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Felix was excellent. The whole staff really pulled things together vs Tampa. The Ray's were the 2nd best hitting team (in Avg) just behind Boston going into the series. Credit where credit is due.

I'm looking forward to Cruz going on a terror now that he's been healthy long enough to get his swing back into a groove. The rest of the guys just need to get on base around him because he's about to make up for lost time in short order I think.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:Felix was excellent. The whole staff really pulled things together vs Tampa. The Ray's were the 2nd best hitting team (in Avg) just behind Boston going into the series. Credit where credit is due.

I'm looking forward to Cruz going on a terror now that he's been healthy long enough to get his swing back into a groove. The rest of the guys just need to get on base around him because he's about to make up for lost time in short order I think.

Two games in Houston, though. That park is kind of funky to hit in.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Luckily we avoid their three best starting pitchers. The key in all these tough series is don't get swept.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Gonna' be a solid test for the M's. I don't pretend to think we are on the same level of Houston, but it sure is fun to be in the mix.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Off days suck when your team is fun to watch every day.

I got back from Ancient Lakes just in time to catch the entirety of the 8th and 9th yesterday. Looked like a good win and a great way to end a Sunday afternoon M's game.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see them at 37-22 and on top of the AL West for the time being. Can't believe they've gone 15-5 since losing Cano. I know this was one of the easiest stretches of the season, but you still gotta win the games in front of you and the M's have done that. I highly doubt this team in previous years increases their win percentage without Cano for any extended period of time.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    hawker84 wrote:M's looking great. Felix was decent, less a couple inning jams. Interesting to see how they do against Boston next home stand. Zunino is garbage at the plate... rally killa..... overall pleasantly suprised....

8 innings, 1 ER, 5 hits, 7 Ks and one BB

That's "decent" these days?

Kept them in the game long enough for the Rays to pull their starter and let the bats win the game. Pretty excellent performance from him, really.

Great game by Felix..
    I hope he keeps doing whatever he did prior to the game.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Same school Kluber and DeGrom went to, and a couple of draft "experts" said he could be better than those guys. Interesting....in Dipoto we trust.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Low 90's with a good changeup is the CBS sports take
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• I heard high 90's for this guy. And his strikeout numbers are ridiculous
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:Low 90's with a good changeup is the CBS sports take

Were they just guessing? This is a different scouting report.....

Gilbert uses an advanced four pitch arsenal that consists of a fastball that touches 97mph, slider, curve, and change, none of which grade lower than 50. The Florida-native threw up a 0.80 WHIP this past season en route to winning the Atlantic Sun Pitcher of the Year Award, cutting his walk rate down 1.8 K/9 and seeing his strikeout rate jump up to 12.9 K/9. He was equally impressive last summer in the Cape Cod League, where he posted a 1.72 ERA and 0.90 WHIP against the game’s top prospects. "

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2018/6/4 ... -mlb-draft
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• TransGenderHawkFan wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Low 90's with a good changeup is the CBS sports take

Gilbert uses an advanced four pitch arsenal that consists of a fastball that touches 97mph, slider, curve, and change, none of which grade lower than 50. The Florida-native threw up a 0.80 WHIP this past season en route to winning the Atlantic Sun Pitcher of the Year Award, cutting his walk rate down 1.8 K/9 and seeing his strikeout rate jump up to 12.9 K/9. He was equally impressive last summer in the Cape Cod League, where he posted a 1.72 ERA and 0.90 WHIP against the game’s top prospects. "

I don't know, but I['m pretty sure if he's a college kid and throwing stuff out like that at 97. he isn't a 16th round pick.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• TransGenderHawkFan wrote:

Thanks for the info. :2thumbs:
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Bobblehead wrote:
    TransGenderHawkFan wrote:

I don't know, but I['m pretty sure if he's a college kid and throwing stuff out like that at 97. he isn't a 16th round pick.

He was taken 14th overall.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    TransGenderHawkFan wrote:

Thanks for the info. :2thumbs:

You're welcome. Pretty stoked to get a pitcher with at least two plus pitcher and two that are average at worst before getting any professional instruction.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• Great start tonight against the Astros. Seager and Zunino go yard to go up 6-0 in the 2nd.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:Great start tonight against the Astros. Seager and Zunino go yard to go up 6-0 in the 2nd.

They came to play, that's for sure. They're looking to take Houston to the woodshed.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• We'll see whether it's 7-1 or 7-6 (or worse) when this is over. Don't the Astros have a tendency to score a bunch of timely runs late in the game? Hope our relief pitching keep it closer to 7-1.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

• Ruminator wrote:We'll see whether it's 7-1 or 7-6 (or worse) when this is over. Don't the Astros have a tendency to score a bunch of timely runs late in the game? Hope our relief pitching keep it closer to 7-1.

But it's nice to have a 6 run cushion.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Nicasio, 1 pitch and he gets the out with two on. Yet another hold for him. He struggled earlier in the year but has been really good since and for a while now.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Damn fine game tonight. Pax struggled a little in the 2d, but overall was dominant. Now up 2 games on the 'Stros. :irishdrinkers:

I missed the first two innings earlier. Watching the replay now.

Go M's! :2thumbs:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Outstanding game in all facets today.
    Great win!!!

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• These boys are for real. I know cold streaks will happen but this team will snap the playoff drought.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• 8 out of the last 10 M's wins they've allowed 1 or 0 runs.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Shanegotyou11 wrote:

Great find, just embedding for those of us usually too lazy to click the link (points at self)
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:

Great find, just embedding for those of us usually too lazy to click the link (points at self)

Sorry i forget to embed lol.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Nicasio back to his old ways
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:Nicasio back to his old ways

Yep. 5.34 era, 3 blown games. Should not be anywhere near the mound with the game in question.
    Gave up 4 runs on 4 hits and didn’t record an out. Tacoma time IMHO.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:Nicasio back to his old ways

Yep. 5.34 era, 3 blown games. Should not be anywhere near the mound with the game in question.

Sending him to Tacoma would be foolish. He had been good lately after he's made some adjustments to correct his terrible start to the season.

Today was just unlucky, if you look at it carefully. The only solid hit he gave up was the first one to Kemp. After that, the next three hits that Springer, Bregman, and Altuve hit were ALL down and away, well out of the strike zone, where Zunino was actually set up at. Two of those pitches were about to hit the dirt! The Astros hitters just threw their bats at the ball hoping to make contact or foul it off and all three resulted in hits.

When you're locating your pitches and hitting your spots but the hitters managed to eek out a hit, you just tip your cap and move on. Nicasio was good today but the Astros were just "fortunate" enough to turn some tough pitches into hits.

It's baseball. You win some and you lose some. Luckily, we've been doing more winning than losing. Even with this game today, we were in it till the very last out. The Mariners of recent years would've been swept by the Astros and outscored 20-2 in this series.

Split with Houston, in Houston, could've won both games, and still be in first place heading to TB? I'll definitely take that any day!

Hopefully, we can start a new winning streak in TB. :2thumbs:
    avengerboater
    NET Bench Warmer

• avengerboater wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:Nicasio back to his old ways

Sending him to Tacoma would be foolish. He had been good lately after he's made some adjustments to correct his terrible start to the season.

Today was just unlucky, if you look at it carefully. The only solid hit he gave up was the first one to Kemp. After that, the next three hits that Springer, Bregman, and Altuve hit were ALL down and away, well out of the strike zone, where Zunino was actually set up at. Two of those pitches were about to hit the dirt! The Astros hitters just threw their bats at the ball hoping to make contact or foul it off and all three resulted in hits.

When you're locating your pitches and hitting your spots but the hitters managed to eek out a hit, you just tip your cap and move on. Nicasio was good today but the Astros were just "fortunate" enough to turn some tough pitches into hits.

It's baseball. You win some and you lose some. Luckily, we've been doing more winning than losing. Even with this game today, we were in it till the very last out. The Mariners of recent years would've been swept by the Astros and outscored 20-2 in this series.

Split with Houston, in Houston, could've won both games, and still be in first place heading to TB? I'll definitely take that any day!

Hopefully, we can start a new winning streak in TB. :2thumbs:

Thank you for the balance.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• It's no secret that I'm not a Nicasio fan at all. So it didn't surprise me at all. That being said, some of those pitches were actually really good, they just did something with them. Solid hitters on that team.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Nicasio must be the unluckiest pitcher in the league then. :sarcasm_off: A 5.34 era kind of sucks regardless of how it’s spun.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I agree with what is being said in here in defense of Nicasio. If you look at those pitches, they were well located. You just got to tip your hat to the Astros for those hits. However, I probably would have pulled him after the Springer double. At some point, Servais needs to go to another pitcher, regardless if the pitches were well located or not.

I'll take a split with the Astros. Also, that relay with Haniger, Dee and Seager to throw out Kemp at third was great.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:Nicasio must be the unluckiest pitcher in the league then. :sarcasm_off: A 5.34 era kind of sucks regardless of how it’s spun.

It's really incomplete to use ERA alone to judge a pitcher. What people are trying to explain about Nicasio is that, yeah, earlier in the year he was bad (which ballooned his era). He was throwing 90-92 MPH and either couldn't find the strike zone or was serving up center-cut meatballs. However, since he's turned things around he's back up to 96 MPH and hitting his spots pitching around the plate not right now the middle. There's been a change that is obvious and has been effective. He's not going to be perfect, as no one will be over the course of the season. Diaz has 3 blown saves himself, and that's not counting games he's come in during a tie or 1 run down and given up runs. Nicasio is one of the better pitchers in the bullpen when he's right and he's been right much more than he's been off lately.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:I agree with what is being said in here in defense of Nicasio. If you look at those pitches, they were well located. You just got to tip your hat to the Astros for those hits. However, I probably would have pulled him after the Springer double. At some point, Servais needs to go to another pitcher, regardless if the pitches were well located or not.

I'll take a split with the Astros. Also, that relay with Haniger, Dee and Seager to throw out Kemp at third was great.

I was also kind of surprised that they didn't try any high heat. Fastballs at the top of the zone might have been a nice alternative to those sliders.

:229031_shrug:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I liked that we were competitive with the world champs. In the end Cruz at the plate with two on for the win? I like those odds.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Been watching Healy closely the last few series. While it seems in most games he doesn't have to handle as many missiles hit right at him as do the other infielders, I love his obvious focus and intensity making sure he takes care of what he's supposed to take care of defensively at first base. And that catch of the short pop-up foul 3 or so games ago that most teams would've just let go foul being essentially between home and first, when I saw him do it, it didn't surprise me at all. He reminds me of... Earl Thomas, in a way.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

• Ruminator wrote:Been watching Healy closely the last few series. While it seems in most games he doesn't have to handle as many missiles hit right at him as do the other infielders, I love his obvious focus and intensity making sure he takes care of what he's supposed to take care of defensively at first base. And that catch of the short pop-up foul 3 or so games ago that most teams would've just let go foul being essentially between home and first, when I saw him do it, it didn't surprise me at all. He reminds me of... Earl Thomas, in a way.

Leake's game is based on not letting hitters get solid wood on the ball. Outstanding performance tonight.

I think our bullpen is not getting enough work lately. They're not coming out of the pen very sharp. We need a "bullpen" night.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Servias has got to be quicker with the hook with the game on the line when the pitcher is getting hit. He’s lucky he’s got a gold glove 3rd baseman who made a great play on the last play of the game.

Leake pitched great. Haniger and Segura has great games with the sticks, and Gordon and Seager with the gloves.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Team is good. This team is gonna be there til very end.

Go Ms
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:35 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information