Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

MLB coming to Portland?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
MLB coming to Portland?
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:24 pm
  • It’s been talked about for years but seems to be picking up momentum. MLB wants another west coast city which would be either Portland or Vegas, but they think Vegas is tapped out with the nfl and nhl.

    Personally I couldn’t care less. I’d probably never go to a game. But could make an interesting rivalry with the mariners.

    They have made offers to buy land to build a privately funded stadium.

    http://katu.com/news/local/portland-dia ... evelopment
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23888
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:21 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:It’s been talked about for years but seems to be picking up momentum. MLB wants another west coast city which would be either Portland or Vegas, but they think Vegas is tapped out with the nfl and nhl.

    Personally I couldn’t care less. I’d probably never go to a game. But could make an interesting rivalry with the mariners.

    They have made offers to buy land to build a privately funded stadium.

    http://katu.com/news/local/portland-dia ... evelopment


    Nothing could make the Mariners interesting.

    This would be the first step with Nike being involved to get a NFL team there also.

    The Portland Quacks might be the next step.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24368
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:56 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:It’s been talked about for years but seems to be picking up momentum. MLB wants another west coast city which would be either Portland or Vegas, but they think Vegas is tapped out with the nfl and nhl.

    Personally I couldn’t care less. I’d probably never go to a game. But could make an interesting rivalry with the mariners.

    They have made offers to buy land to build a privately funded stadium.

    http://katu.com/news/local/portland-dia ... evelopment


    Nothing could make the Mariners interesting.

    This would be the first step with Nike being involved to get a NFL team there also.

    The Portland Quacks might be the next step.

    I like the idea. Gives me another venue to see MLB that isn’t too far away.
    Would give Seattle a natural rivalry, I’m tired of pretending I hate the Padres. 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23388
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:05 am
  • If they added more teams they would need to realign to conferences like NBA for playoffs rather than the current divisions.
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 934
    Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:45 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:58 pm
  • Wouldn't the M's have a fit?Like the Baltimore/Nationals thing?
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3921
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:56 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:Wouldn't the M's have a fit?Like the Baltimore/Nationals thing?



    Like the Soda Arena and Sonics thing..................

    I at one time remember they liked a 250 mile plus difference between Cities with Franchises, not quite there and the Mariners would lose a lot of Merchandise and ticket sales.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24368
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:09 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:Wouldn't the M's have a fit?Like the Baltimore/Nationals thing?


    It's a pretty big difference though. The stadiums for the Orioles and Nationals are less than 40 miles apart. Seattle and Portland are 175 miles apart. With no traffic, you're talking about a 3 hour drive each way, but unless you're going in the middle of the night, there's always traffic. For that reason, I really can't see how it would affect ticket sales for the M's much. Are there really that many people coming up from the Portland area for an M's game? A 6 hour round trip at best, but likely longer? I mean, it'd be one thing if the M's were really good, but we're talking about a team that has been bad to mediocre for close to 2 decades at this point.

    Makes sense that the M's wouldn't want competition for ticket sales, merchandise dollars, etc. a block or 2 away (they are a business after all), but 175 miles away? In the only major metropolitan area in between Seattle and San Francisco? I'm having a hard believing that Portland getting an MLB team would affect the M's bottom line much and other than that, I don't see why the M's would care.
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2614
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:19 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Wouldn't the M's have a fit?Like the Baltimore/Nationals thing?


    It's a pretty big difference though. The stadiums for the Orioles and Nationals are less than 40 miles apart. Seattle and Portland are 175 miles apart. With no traffic, you're talking about a 3 hour drive each way, but unless you're going in the middle of the night, there's always traffic. For that reason, I really can't see how it would affect ticket sales for the M's much. Are there really that many people coming up from the Portland area for an M's game? A 6 hour round trip at best, but likely longer? I mean, it'd be one thing if the M's were really good, but we're talking about a team that has been bad to mediocre for close to 2 decades at this point.

    Makes sense that the M's wouldn't want competition for ticket sales, merchandise dollars, etc. a block or 2 away (they are a business after all), but 175 miles away? In the only major metropolitan area in between Seattle and San Francisco? I'm having a hard believing that Portland getting an MLB team would affect the M's bottom line much and other than that, I don't see why the M's would care.

    Maybe but I bet the M's have a decent Oregon fan base that they lose when they cannot be losing more fans
    than they have already.
    I understand what your saying though and you may be right.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3921
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:40 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Wouldn't the M's have a fit?Like the Baltimore/Nationals thing?


    It's a pretty big difference though. The stadiums for the Orioles and Nationals are less than 40 miles apart. Seattle and Portland are 175 miles apart. With no traffic, you're talking about a 3 hour drive each way, but unless you're going in the middle of the night, there's always traffic. For that reason, I really can't see how it would affect ticket sales for the M's much. Are there really that many people coming up from the Portland area for an M's game? A 6 hour round trip at best, but likely longer? I mean, it'd be one thing if the M's were really good, but we're talking about a team that has been bad to mediocre for close to 2 decades at this point.

    Makes sense that the M's wouldn't want competition for ticket sales, merchandise dollars, etc. a block or 2 away (they are a business after all), but 175 miles away? In the only major metropolitan area in between Seattle and San Francisco? I'm having a hard believing that Portland getting an MLB team would affect the M's bottom line much and other than that, I don't see why the M's would care.



    I can’t speak to the Mariners, but I’m an Oregonian who had season tickets to the Seahawks for 16 years and I can tell you that every weekend there were thousands of Oregonians cruising up and down I-5 to every game, even in the down years.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23888
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:51 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Wouldn't the M's have a fit?Like the Baltimore/Nationals thing?


    It's a pretty big difference though. The stadiums for the Orioles and Nationals are less than 40 miles apart. Seattle and Portland are 175 miles apart. With no traffic, you're talking about a 3 hour drive each way, but unless you're going in the middle of the night, there's always traffic. For that reason, I really can't see how it would affect ticket sales for the M's much. Are there really that many people coming up from the Portland area for an M's game? A 6 hour round trip at best, but likely longer? I mean, it'd be one thing if the M's were really good, but we're talking about a team that has been bad to mediocre for close to 2 decades at this point.

    Makes sense that the M's wouldn't want competition for ticket sales, merchandise dollars, etc. a block or 2 away (they are a business after all), but 175 miles away? In the only major metropolitan area in between Seattle and San Francisco? I'm having a hard believing that Portland getting an MLB team would affect the M's bottom line much and other than that, I don't see why the M's would care.



    I can’t speak to the Mariners, but I’m an Oregonian who had season tickets to the Seahawks for 16 years and I can tell you that every weekend there were thousands of Oregonians cruising up and down I-5 to every game, even in the down years.


    Yeah, but the Seahawks have at least been competitive throughout most of their history. I root for the Mariners, but it has been years since I felt anything that approaches enthusiasm about them, and the Seahawks recent success has only driven them further from my heart. Plus, and I know this won't matter to Oregonian fans, their shenanigans when Chris Hansen was trying to build a Sodo arena made me just want to give them the middle finger.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4088
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:40 pm
  • I got it... they can give Portland a baseball team in the AL West and then move Houston to another division. :D

    I joke about Houston, but they were put in the AL West to make it so every division had 5 teams per, so what happens when you introduce another team? I assume if Portland got one they’d give another city a team to even things out and up it to 16 in the NL and AL. So do they create a 4th division and shuffle some teams around, or what? I’d assume they just steal a team from California and give it to Portland to avoid all that.
    pre·vent de·fense
    n. Football
    A defensive formation in which a team prevents their defense from stopping the other team's offense.
    User avatar
    hannibalking
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 167
    Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:46 pm


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Thu May 10, 2018 11:37 pm
  • Do you think they have a good enough market to support a major league team there? Do they have a minor league team there now? I just wondered if somebody knows.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 225
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:21 am


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Fri May 11, 2018 5:55 am
  • SanDiego49er wrote:Do you think they have a good enough market to support a major league team there? Do they have a minor league team there now? I just wondered if somebody knows.


    There is short season A ball in Hillsboro just outside of Portland.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 342
    Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:05 am


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Fri May 11, 2018 12:05 pm
  • The Maricopa County Board of Directors just voted this week to allow the Arizona Diamondbacks to leave Chase Field after 2022 in order to put to bed a lawsuit between the team and the county that's been going on for 16 months regarding upgrade and maintenance costs. There's a clause in the agreement that will allow them to leave Arizona completely if MLB finds that the stadium conditions in Arizona are not up to their standard. If Portland gets a proposal together in time, maybe they can make a play for the team.

    https://deadspin.com/diamondbacks-tryin ... 1825959027

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 597057002/
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10104
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm
  • hannibalking wrote:I got it... they can give Portland a baseball team in the AL West and then move Houston to another division. :D

    I joke about Houston, but they were put in the AL West to make it so every division had 5 teams per, so what happens when you introduce another team? I assume if Portland got one they’d give another city a team to even things out and up it to 16 in the NL and AL. So do they create a 4th division and shuffle some teams around, or what? I’d assume they just steal a team from California and give it to Portland to avoid all that.


    Steal the Padres, and crush the soul of San Diego fans for good?
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    User avatar
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1737
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Thu May 17, 2018 3:45 pm
  • Paul can own the Portland team..
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3921
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Mon May 21, 2018 3:36 pm
  • I was from Oregon and MLB fans do flock to the Ms.

    This is an exciting team. No More Erasmo Ramirez Please or Gallardo. Puzzling moves....

    Segura, Haniger et al......all those exciting moves,,,,,winning fixes everything. The Diamond Backs would bee better than starting from scratch.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3379
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Mon May 28, 2018 6:53 am
  • Atradees wrote:I was from Oregon and MLB fans do flock to the Ms.

    This is an exciting team. No More Erasmo Ramirez Please or Gallardo. Puzzling moves....

    Segura, Haniger et al......all those exciting moves,,,,,winning fixes everything. The Diamond Backs would bee better than starting from scratch.


    I grew up in Oregon and the dismal TV coverage of the Ms prevented me from being a fan. That's how I became a Red Sox fan in the 80s.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

    Image
    User avatar
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1780
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Mon May 28, 2018 7:22 am
  • seems like there were more televised games in Oregon. I think maybe I still had comcast and Root Sports back then. i refuse to pay 200 a month for Comcast. I am not seeing many games less I go out.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3379
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


Re: MLB coming to Portland?
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:39 am
  • Interesting. Russell Wilson and Ciara have invested in the project and will be in the ownership group. The two of them will be in Portland touring potential stadium sites tomorrow.

    http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index. ... st_in.html
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23888
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon




It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:37 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests