Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Mariners want $180 million in public funds for Safeco Field

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • The Seattle Mariners want taxpayer money to fund the future of Safeco Field.

The team plans to make a formal request to the King County Council on Monday. The Mariners are asking for $180 million to cover upkeep at the stadium.

When the team recently agreed to a 25-year lease extension at Safeco, lodging taxes were part of the deal.

The suggestion for public funding to pay for Safeco Field was met with pushback from King County Council Member Dave Upthegrove.

"The proposal to earmark roughly $180 million in public funds for Safeco Field is the wrong priority. The Seattle Mariners are a profitable, private company that can and should pay their own expenses,” Upthegrove said.

The King County Council will hear the official motion at 10 a.m. Monday, sponsored by Councilmembers Jeanne Kohl-Welles, Joe McDermott, and Peter von Reichbauer.

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Where are the Sonic supporters to shout this down, what a bunch of Hypocrites.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I grew up loving the mariners but they should not get one dime of taxpayer money. Not one dime.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• Natethegreat wrote:I grew up loving the mariners but they should not get one dime of taxpayer money. Not one dime.

Not after they blocked Hansen’s arena deal after getting Safeco publicly funded in the 1st place.
    Put a World Series caliber club on the field every other year and you wouldn’t need public funding.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Love the M's but $180 million for upkeep on a tax funded stadium that should have
    been built to lower those kind of costs..
    What does the state and Seattle get out of this stadium $$$ wise?
    I'm so sick of pro teams trying to rape the tax payer and really have no
    care in helping them maintain a profit line that is hidden like the Rays
    for example..All the teams make big money.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Hell no. As a lifetime M’s fan this is preposterous and arrogant by those involved to think the Seattle community is going to fund this. Unbelievable.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:Hell no. As a lifetime M’s fan this is preposterous and arrogant by those involved to think the Seattle community is going to fund this. Unbelievable.

Tell me about it!!! How ridiculous! 12.75 for a beer, the outrageous parking fees, food, tickets, ext... and they want tax payer money? lol the can shove it! Along with the port authority, the mayor, the city councel, and anyone else who wants taxpayer money to fund safeco lol what a joke!!
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• As much as I currently enjoy the experience of SafeCo, hell no. Not only is this an affront to responsible and humanitarian use of taxpayer funds the Mariners have moral rot where being a crapbag who harasses coworkers gets you promoted. I don't like to draw lines in the sand but if you're going to beg for money you don't need, don't top it off with being morally bankrupt.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• And who's gonna be the new sponsor? I heard Proliance, but heard that's being shot down. That may be just smoke. But they have to get money out of that deal as well. Whoever ends up with the naming rights.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy wrote:And who's gonna be the new sponsor? I heard Proliance, but heard that's being shot down. That may be just smoke. But they have to get money out of that deal as well. Whoever ends up with the naming rights.

It should be the Port of Seattle Field since they seem to coddle each other.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:And who's gonna be the new sponsor? I heard Proliance, but heard that's being shot down. That may be just smoke. But they have to get money out of that deal as well. Whoever ends up with the naming rights.

It should be the Port of Seattle Field since they seem to coddle each other.

Port of Seattle Field brought to you by the Seattle Times.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• How about the Mariners win a World Series or two first then we'll talk?
    L.O.B.
    Adopt a rookie: Tre Flowers
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

• raisethe3 wrote:How about the Mariners win a World Series or two first then we'll talk?

Hell a Wild Card win would be a something special for this team, I think the last time we were in the Play Offs were when Lou was Manager and Gillick GM.

This year they have made a push and there is a chance they make it and are somewhat popular right now, Mariners are banking on that to push the Money through, So Sorry Howard Lincoln, John Ellis.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:19 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information