Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

UW Husky Men's Basketball Thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
UW Husky Men's Basketball Thread
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:58 am
  • The men's team is ranked #25 going into the season. Hop has them way ahead of schedule. First game of the season is this Tuesday.

They beat #7 Nevada in a scrimmage a couple weeks ago without Dickerson. Although, yesterday they really struggled against SPU in an exhibition game.

This season is tournament or bust for me. Some people have picked UW to win the conference, so I expect them to at least compete for the conference title and make the NCAA tourney.

This may be the best Seattle sports team of the major teams in the city.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Re: UW Husky Men's Basketball Thread
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:13 am
  • Not going to make a new thread, so i'll kind of just make this the pac 12 basketball thread. Manute's kid, Bol Bol is going to be fun to watch this year. 7'2", drilling turn around 3 point jumpers.

Ducks will be great in the paint. Probably the best shot blocking team in the country. A little bit worried about guard play.

JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:57 am
  • Always loved Manute Bol. He looks like a fun guy to watch.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:15 pm
  • Should be a fun season with everyone returning and the added depth. I thought last year depth was their biggest hurdle.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:11 am
  • Well, Hop and the boys got the win. They didn't look like world beaters for a lot of the game but the depth sure showed up on defense. The announcer explained it best I think when he said the Huskies have to get out of the mindset of "Hero ball" when they go into droughts. Guys have to stop chucking up 3's and fall-away jumpers, and get into the paint when the offense stalls at times.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:19 pm
  • W. Kentucky was a tough match up for the opener that was a good win.
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:34 am
  • Western Kentucky is more than a solid team, they will likely win their conference and be in the NCAA tournament.

Big game tonight against Auburn, we likely lose as they are the better team and we have to travel all the way across the country.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:10 am
  • Still 2nd best team in state
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:49 am

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:16 am
  • Nice start to the season, they got what should be an easy game against A&M tomorrow, and then a solid opponent in Minnesota on Wednesday.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:59 pm
  • Not sure how the huskies are doing, but the ducks are god awful. Altman has all of a sudden turned into Romar, getting top level recruits but not having a clue how to build a team or create chemistry.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:39 pm
  • Are the dawggies gonna get a ranking boost out of being tied with the #1 team in the country with .6 seconds to go?
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:02 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:Are the dawggies gonna get a ranking boost out of being tied with the #1 team in the country with .6 seconds to go?

Yes. College basketball has done away with RPI and uses a new NET ranking system. UW moved from 61 to 44 in NET after the loss to Gonzaga. Definitely a resume builder for UW.

Zags are the much better team, but UW played a great game. Hopkins is such a great coach, one of the few coaches that can take a weaker team, go on the road, and nearly beat the best team in the nation. He did it last year against #1 ranked Kansas.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:42 pm
  • Hopkins looks like he actually has a vision for his team and knows how to implement it. Something that cannot be said for Romar. I used to enjoy following Husky basketball before they canceled with GU and plummeted to irrelevance.

I believe they made a good hire. Its also interesting that of all the teams Few has played against Syracuse seems to have his number. Maybe that factored into that hire. Or maybe not.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:02 pm
  • The Huskies played well against the Zags considering they had most of their front line players in foul trouble (Dickerson and Wright fouled out in the end). However, David Crisp is a liability on the floor. The dude bricks 3 pointers and layups at an equal rate. He's awful offensively.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:26 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:Are the dawggies gonna get a ranking boost out of being tied with the #1 team in the country with .6 seconds to go?

Yes. College basketball has done away with RPI and uses a new NET ranking system. UW moved from 61 to 44 in NET after the loss to Gonzaga. Definitely a resume builder for UW.

Zags are the much better team, but UW played a great game. Hopkins is such a great coach, one of the few coaches that can take a weaker team, go on the road, and nearly beat the best team in the nation. He did it last year against #1 ranked Kansas.

Thanks. They probably lost ground crapping the bed against Seatlle (which happens to be a beautiful campus in my neighborhood), though. They could blew them out by 30.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:40 am
  • Kentucky's Quade Green had decided to transfer to UW. He was a 5-star PG, will be a huge upgrade over Crisp when he becomes eligible. There is some confusion on when and how many years of eligibility he will have. Sounds like either 1.5 years or 2.5 years depending if he redshirts for a season. Either way, huge get by Hop.

Still working on getting both McDaniels and Steart, both are top 10 prospects. If we can get both, I think this team can go to a final four. If we can get one, I think we likely make the tourney. If we get neither, probably another season as a bubble team. This is all assuming Nowell comes back, which I expect him to.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:47 am
  • Huskies off to a nice 2-0 start in conference play. Think there is a great chance they can win the Pac-12 this season.

Word is that Isaiah Stewart is likely coming to UW, would be a huge get. Top 10 recruit for next season, above the rim PF. Now lets just hope they land McDaniels. It would basically be adding three 5-star kids for next season.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:30 pm

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:48 pm
  • People are sleeping on the Husky basketball team. Hop is building something special. I always find myself surprised by how little following the basketball team gets. The Stewart signing is huge, but most anyone following the situation had an idea he was coming to UW since last week. Now time to get McDaniels.

If they do get McDaniels, national championship is a realistic expectation for this team.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:11 am
  • Do you think that Nowell would stay around another year to play with those guys? Or is he gone after this season no matter what?
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:57 am
  • DJrmb wrote:Do you think that Nowell would stay around another year to play with those guys? Or is he gone after this season no matter what?

I think Nowell stays. He is yet to show up on draft boards, if he does decide to declare, he will be a 2nd round guy. Great college player, but doesn't have the size or athleticism to play the SG in the NBA. If he wants to play in the NBA, he will need to be a PG. I feel pretty confident about Nowell being here at least one more season.

Also think there is a much better shot at us getting McDaniels. Stewart is going hard after him along with the coaches and players. I believe McDaniels is also close with Quade Green who just transferred to UW from Kentucky, the other school that McDaniels is considering.

I think Stewart is only the second top 10 players to come to UW (Fultz the other), but to have two in the same class, that would be amazing. UW has never had an issue getting talent, but we've also never had a coach like Hop before.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:50 pm
  • It's kind of ironic because I remember quite a few people (myself included sadly) wanting to hold onto Romar to keep that class he had coming in with MPJ. What a disaster that would have been. Now they're in position to possibly land an even better class than that one with 2 top 10 guys and a former 5-star transfer. All that with a much better coach, and much better depth / healthier program.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:25 am
  • Need a good win today to break into the top-25 rankings.

IT'S GREAT TO BE A HUSKY!
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:26 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:It's kind of ironic because I remember quite a few people (myself included sadly) wanting to hold onto Romar to keep that class he had coming in with MPJ. What a disaster that would have been. Now they're in position to possibly land an even better class than that one with 2 top 10 guys and a former 5-star transfer. All that with a much better coach, and much better depth / healthier program.

I don't understand why anyone would want Romar around still. He had plenty of time to turn things around. He can't coach defense. Never has, probably never will. Constantly got outcoached against other big schools. With Hopkins we are actually seeing the team play defense for once, and his background with Syracuse is helping UW land nice recruits. Perimeter shooting still an issue at times with this team but the defense is there .
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:37 pm
  • A lot of people wanted Romar to stay, but was only because of the recruiting class. Hop is a really great coach, I honestly think he is one of the best coaches in the nation. IMO, Altman has been the best coach in the Pac for several years, I think Hop will challenge him for best coach in the conference.

I think it's the first 7-0 start since the 52-53 season. A lot of that has to do with how bad the conference is, but still impressive. Two road sweeps in college basketball is far from easy.

UW has always had talent, but never had great coaching to go with the talent. We get to see both of those with Hop now.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:13 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:A lot of people wanted Romar to stay, but was only because of the recruiting class. Hop is a really great coach, I honestly think he is one of the best coaches in the nation. IMO, Altman has been the best coach in the Pac for several years, I think Hop will challenge him for best coach in the conference.

I think it's the first 7-0 start since the 52-53 season. A lot of that has to do with how bad the conference is, but still impressive. Two road sweeps in college basketball is far from easy.

UW has always had talent, but never had great coaching to go with the talent. We get to see both of those with Hop now.

I’ve been impressed with coach Hop so far. ...and the guy so far looks like a great recruiter.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:22 am
  • Crizilla wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:It's kind of ironic because I remember quite a few people (myself included sadly) wanting to hold onto Romar to keep that class he had coming in with MPJ. What a disaster that would have been. Now they're in position to possibly land an even better class than that one with 2 top 10 guys and a former 5-star transfer. All that with a much better coach, and much better depth / healthier program.

I don't understand why anyone would want Romar around still. He had plenty of time to turn things around. He can't coach defense. Never has, probably never will. Constantly got outcoached against other big schools. With Hopkins we are actually seeing the team play defense for once, and his background with Syracuse is helping UW land nice recruits. Perimeter shooting still an issue at times with this team but the defense is there .

I don't still want Romar around, I don't think anyone has or will say that... What I said was at the time I wanted to keep Romar to take a shot at a final 4 run with that top recruiting class. At the time I didn't think we'd ever see a recruiting class that good again at UW. My opinion ended up being wrong which I was admitting to in my post. I know that's not very common here on .net (people able to admit they were wrong), so I won't hold it against you for missing it. :lol:

I am fully on board with Coach Hop now and loving the zone D. Husky basketball has a very bright future!
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:19 am
  • So how many wins do the Huskies likely need to make the big tournament? 8-0 currently
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:58 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:So how many wins do the Huskies likely need to make the big tournament? 8-0 currently

Difficult to say but many are saying they would need to completely fall apart to miss the Dance now.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ch-madness
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:55 pm
  • There really isn't a set amount of wins they need to get to, but it is all about the resume. NCAA created the quadrant system last year, and now they have done away with RPI and added NET. The link below explains NET as well as the quadrant system.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ll-ranking

Here is a brief summary of our resume, which has improved a lot since the conference schedule has started.

Record: 17-4 (8-0 in conference)
    NET: 29
    RPI: 21
    SOS: 52
    Quadrant 1: 0-4
    Quadrant 2: 5-0
    Quadrant 3: 6-0
    Quadrant 4: 6-0

Just a few days ago we had two quadrant 1 wins, but both Oregon schools moved outside the top 75 of the NET rankings. The Minnesota loss really hurt, as we should have won that game if not for a missed travel call. We played our best competition early in the season, but played our worst ball then. The conference is really down, likely only a 1 or 2 bid league. Possibly a 3 bid league if there is an upset in the conference tourney. I fully expect us to make the NCAA tourney. If we can beat both the Arizona teams next week, we can go undefeated in conference. I think splitting against them would be fine too. Should be a fun game tomorrow, lets get another win.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:04 pm

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:26 pm
  • A sloppy win at times but it was never really in doubt.
    Looks like coach Hop was a “money” hire! :2thumbs:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:02 pm

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:29 am
  • This team is flying under the radar. People will start paying attention once March comes around. This is probably the best sports team in Seattle this year, and they get little to no recognition. Just look at this board, Mariners offseason thread has like 5 pages, and that franchise is awful.

This team could go far in the NCAA tournament, possibly getting further than Romar ever took them. Hop is building a hoops powerhouse out West. Awesome that UW hoops and football are both Pac-12 champions.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:11 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:This team is flying under the radar. People will start paying attention once March comes around. This is probably the best sports team in Seattle this year, and they get little to no recognition. Just look at this board, Mariners offseason thread has like 5 pages, and that franchise is awful.

This team could go far in the NCAA tournament, possibly getting further than Romar ever took them. Hop is building a hoops powerhouse out West. Awesome that UW hoops and football are both Pac-12 champions.

It's crazy they aren't ranked
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:37 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:This team is flying under the radar. People will start paying attention once March comes around. This is probably the best sports team in Seattle this year, and they get little to no recognition. Just look at this board, Mariners offseason thread has like 5 pages, and that franchise is awful.

It's crazy they aren't ranked

It is, but I like it when the local teams are overlooked. The element of surprise can be huge in catching opponent team s sleeping, see the Gonzaga team they almost beat earlier in the year at the zags house.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:42 am
  • Are they legitly good? Or do they look good because the Pac12 is so terrible?

(this is not a trying to bash on UW question, i havnt watched a single minute of them play, so im genuinely curious.)
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:02 am
  • They are legit good, it's a bummer that the Pac-12 is down, but they can only play who is front of them. They also almost beat Gonzaga. It's ridiculous they are not ranked though. Just my own opinion, but assuming they make the tourney, they should be a 7-9 seed, right in that area.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:06 am
  • Well, about 5 minutes after I posted, they just announced the Dawgs are FINALLY ranked. :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:47 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Well, about 5 minutes after I posted, they just announced the Dawgs are FINALLY ranked. :roll:

What happened? Did Auburn lose its 10th game?

FINALLY is right.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:16 pm
  • Yes, they are really good. Pac-12 is awful, but UW is being punished for being in a weak conference. They can't control who is put on their schedule. They are playing the games, and blowing out most teams. This team doesn't have the talent of the Zags or some of the other top teams, but I think they can make a run past the sweet 16 if they get a nice draw. Thybulle will likely win defensive player of the year and will have a great chance to break Gary Payton's all time record for Pac-12 steals. Watching him play is so much fun, not sure I've seen a player have such an impact on defense.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:41 am
  • I think they are going to be a Sweet 16 team this year. Defense travels, and they are such a well coached team, it will help them big time in the tourney.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:47 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Well, about 5 minutes after I posted, they just announced the Dawgs are FINALLY ranked. :roll:

Well. thats not going to last long. Just lost to an 0-15 in conference Cal team. What happened? Was UW missing guys to injuries? Or they just not show up thinking they could beat a bottom dweller by sleepwalking through the game?
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:49 am
  • Sports happened J.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:52 am
  • Cal shot lights out, UW looked tired and like they took them lightly to be honest. Good reality check for this team imo. Learn from it and get it rollin again.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:01 am
  • Did Cal fans rush the court?

That's how you know if UW is really THAT good
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:48 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Well, about 5 minutes after I posted, they just announced the Dawgs are FINALLY ranked. :roll:

Well. thats not going to last long. Just lost to an 0-15 in conference Cal team. What happened? Was UW missing guys to injuries? Or they just not show up thinking they could beat a bottom dweller by sleepwalking through the game?

Defensive intensity was severely lacking in the first half. Dickerson never got it going, and Thybulle pulled a disappearing act. Dominic Green (shooter) also played 30 minutes and got 6 points. Just a really, really thin team, so if the players they rely on don't have it going, it can get ugly.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:58 pm
  • It was surprising how lazy and/or tired they looked yesterday. Shoot, every team has bad games, but they looked like they were just going thru the motions and this would be an easy game.
    Hoping it was a nice wake up call for these guys. No excuse to lose to a crap team like that. But, you still gotta' lace em up, this game proved that.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:33 pm
  • Pac12 tourney should at least be interesting, if not high quality basketball. Admittedly, I havnt paid any attention but it certainly seems there are no real dominant teams, which means nobody is a shoe in to advance if they dont come out and play their best. I'd assume that the only chance the conference has of getting 2 teams into the Big Dance is to have UW lose in the pac12 title game.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Next

It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:29 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information