UW Husky Men's Basketball Thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: UW Husky Men's Basketball Thread
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:55 pm
  • No need to discuss who wants this game more, both teams want to win. Forget about the bid dance, this is the championship game, and these teams are rivals. UW can probably move up to a 7 seed with a win tonight, nobody wants to play the 1 seed if they advance.

Oregon is a tough matchup but I think all circumstances point towards UW winning. Four games in as many days, OT last night, Louis King might not even play, and Oregon just beat UW a week ago. It’s really hard to beat a team twice in the same week.

This just kind of feels like it is UW’s year. All the seniors. Win the Pac-12. Possibly win the Pac-12 tourney. Either way, should be a great game to watch.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:50 pm
  • Go Ducks! Not going to get to watch the game, dont know who will win, but I have a feeling both of them will be one and done in the big tournament.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:51 pm
  • Why has Dickerson been so bad lately? He has been straight garbage.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:17 pm
  • Man was I wrong. Huskies didn't even seem to care. Oregon outplayed them from start to finish.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:44 am
  • Natethegreat wrote:Man was I wrong. Huskies didn't even seem to care. Oregon outplayed them from start to finish.

In the first half there were times when Oregon played poorly but the Huskies couldn't capitalize on that. UW barely beat the #8 seed in the first game and haven't looked good for a month.

Oregon was clearly the better team and they deserve their bid to the dance. I just hope that performance doesn't keep us out. Can't say they wouldn't deserve it.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:47 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:Go Ducks! Not going to get to watch the game, dont know who will win, but I have a feeling both of them will be one and done in the big tournament.

I actually think Oregon could win a couple of games.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:18 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Go Ducks! Not going to get to watch the game, dont know who will win, but I have a feeling both of them will be one and done in the big tournament.

Who are you, and where is Domehawk?
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:23 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Go Ducks! Not going to get to watch the game, dont know who will win, but I have a feeling both of them will be one and done in the big tournament.

Who are you, and where is Domehawk?

Lol, I tell like it is J.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:32 pm
  • I still think UW has a chance to win a couple games(assuming they get in which I think they will) even though they are not playing well lately. I think playing teams they haven't faced will really help their offense which hasn't been good lately except for that USC game.

Edit: Mainly I think they will be able to create offense off their defense which isn't seen by most teams throughout the year.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:57 pm
  • UW plays USU. Watched them play San Diego State in their championship game. They are all right. They have a very good big by the name of Queto and a good guard Sammie Merril.
    The big guy is 6-11 and fairly talented but he can be pushed around pretty easy. Needs to bulk up and he could be real good.
    This is a game UW should win.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:14 pm
  • UW should beat USU but how they have been playing lately suggests otherwise. If they do get past Utah State, they most likely would face UNC and that’s where UW’s season realistically would end.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:08 am
  • Yeah, I like the 9 seed and they should win the first game and be done in round 2.
    But, where this team is now vs. when Hop took over? He has done an amazing job.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 am
  • Agree entirely with the last two comments but remember, UW played #1 Gonzaga to within one point earlier in the season. This was a Zag's team that beat #1 Duke.

It's a long shot but if they can find their mojo again they could have a chance.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:07 am
  • One thing to keep in mind if UW can get past USU is that UNC turned the ball over at a high rate when they played Gonzaga. Thats the path to a UW victory against UNC. Easy transition buckets off turnovers. It can be done through their defense. UNC has inexperienced guards and UW has to turn them over at a high rate.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:53 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:One thing to keep in mind if UW can get past USU is that UNC turned the ball over at a high rate when they played Gonzaga. Thats the path to a UW victory against UNC. Easy transition buckets off turnovers. It can be done through their defense. UNC has inexperienced guards and UW has to turn them over at a high rate.

The Huskies are extremely sloppy and turn the ball over on offense as much as they get turnovers on defense. They also rely way too much on 3 pointers. If those shots don't fall, the offense goes sideways. That is a recipe for disaster against good teams in the tourney. Timmins is a worthless as a big guy. He can't rebound (Huskies are an awful rebounding team) and that's where teams like Oregon, ASU, and California destroyed the Huskies.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:30 am
  • The Huskies are weird.

They have a very good record. But they are weirdly difficult to watch.

They are tremendously sloppy with passes, terrible ball handlers, and seem to have problems scoring. You see a lot of bricks in a UW basketball game.

Their defense saves them. But it seems like they are constantly committing turnovers in getting the ball stolen or making bad passes.

I have no idea what to expect. Losing to Utah State wouldn't be weird at all. But with their record, it is clear they can play well. Maybe I just missed those games and only saw the bad ones.

Not sure what to think. I like the players, but for some reason they seem to struggle at a lot of things that you would expect a basketball team with a good record would be good at. Again, weird.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:28 pm
  • They are tricky team to figure out. My take on them is that when they are playing their best basketball, they can compete with any team in the country. When they don't play well, they can lose to almost any team in the country. Just depends what team you get. When shots fall, they look a lot better. The defense will always be there, they just need to play well on offense.

I think getting out of the Pac-12 will help them, as most teams aren't familiar with our zone. I expect us to beat Utah State and I think we could give UNC a game if we are play one of our better games.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:04 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:They are tricky team to figure out. My take on them is that when they are playing their best basketball, they can compete with any team in the country. When they don't play well, they can lose to almost any team in the country. Just depends what team you get. When shots fall, they look a lot better. The defense will always be there, they just need to play well on offense.

I think getting out of the Pac-12 will help them, as most teams aren't familiar with our zone. I expect us to beat Utah State and I think we could give UNC a game if we are play one of our better games.

^^^^yep, and it's just that simple.

BUT, their offensive possessions are so bad sometimes that it causes me concern about the coaching. Hop has obviously done a great job but his game plans are disturbing sometimes. In the last game against Oregon he wanted them to attack the basket, which I like, but they aren't very good at it and Oregon plays great defense too. I was hoping that they would just keep running both up and down the court and in motion offense. Wear them out, they have played three games in three nights. Instead they seemed to be helping Oregon conserve their energy.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:03 pm
  • Their up and down nature I attribute almost wholly to the fact that they don't have a point guard. Point guards settle the waters in college basketball, and create good shots. Some games the Huskies get literally zero good shots from their halfcourt sets. This will be an entirely different looking offense next January. Until then, they're going to live and die by their ability to make contested shots.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:47 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Their up and down nature I attribute almost wholly to the fact that they don't have a point guard. Point guards settle the waters in college basketball, and create good shots. Some games the Huskies get literally zero good shots from their halfcourt sets. This will be an entirely different looking offense next January. Until then, they're going to live and die by their ability to make contested shots.

I get your point but I think David Crisp did a pretty good job this year. He didn't come in as a point guard but I don't think you can say we really didn't have a point guard.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/c ... 34824.html
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:58 am
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:05 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

Awesome.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:18 pm
  • The Huskies look terrible on offense. Their defense is the only thing keeping them in this, but it is fairly solid.

It is the weirdest offense. They seem to sit around on the perimeter, jack up bricks and rely on Dickerson to get the rebound and put it in the basket.

I don't even really see drives to the basket.

Nothing new here. Been doing this all year. If they cannot get in transition - they almost cannot score.

And if Crisp is missing shots, yikes.

Still, they have a chance in this game but a better team is going to wax them.

Still, heck of an accomplishment even getting there. This team can barely hit jump shots and they made it - when we had teams with NBA players in it that flat out missed the tournament. Pretty impressive.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:45 pm
  • This is the first time I've watched Washington play. That defense is legit and Thybulle and Dickerson are really good players.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:58 pm
  • Huskies are a better team when Crisp is on the bench and not on the floor. Hop, keep Crisp on the bench please. Dickerson and Naz were amazing. Good time for Noah's best game of the season.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:28 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Huskies are a better team when Crisp is on the bench and not on the floor. Hop, keep Crisp on the bench please. Dickerson and Naz were amazing. Good time for Noah's best game of the season.

I disagree on Crisp. He's one of their best scorers both behind the arch and driving into the paint. Huskies are at their best when he can play as a SG instead of a PG. They should have Nowell play PG more IMO, even though he's more of a SG too... Nowell seems to be able to transition his game better and switch between dishing to others and scoring in the pace of the game. Where Crisp seems to get stuck into score 1st mode too often hurting the overall offense.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:13 pm
  • Good day for the pac 12. Carried the momentum from the tournament to two easy wins (bobby hurley can do one).

Excited for both sunday games. Oregon gets a tremendous matchup.

Washington up against one of the best teams and one of the most storied programs in the country. Will be a good watch.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:06 am
  • I actually think that the reason our guys struggle so much on offense is because the defense takes so much out of them.

You look and see our offense seems to be almost everyone outside the 3 pt line, not really moving, passing the ball back and forth but it makes sense because they have to expend so much energy on defense. And you don't want to improve the offense if it means losing the defense - so you take what you can.

They will be playing a #1 seed. I don't think it makes any sense to expect them to win.

But again, this team accomplished what some of our teams with NBA players did not accomplish - it won the Pac12 and then went to the Dance. Cannot complain at all.

They can be hard to watch on offense because it is so bafflingly bad that you wonder how a team that seems to struggle to dribble, pass and shoot wins games at all. But that defense is legit.

I actually think if Thybulle makes the NBA, people are going to find out he can be a much better shooter because he was forced to spend so much energy on defense.

Kudos to the team for getting this far at all. I think as soon as we get a PG that can actually break the press, this is going to be a pretty good team.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:14 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:I actually think that the reason our guys struggle so much on offense is because the defense takes so much out of them.

It's a good point but this team looks so much better on offense when Dickerson is included.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:26 am
  • Great win last night. When this team is clicking, they can play with pretty much anyone. Getting out of the Pac-12 was great for this team. Teams got very familiar with our zone near the end of the conference schedule. Unfortunately UNC plays in the ACC with Syracuse and will be familiar with the zone.

We can beat UNC. Of all the #1 seeds, I think they are most vulnerable. We can't get in an up and down game with them because they want to play an fast paced game. Also need to keep them off the glass, they are one of the best rebounding teams in the nation. If I'm Hop, I utilize the Kansas game plan from last season. Take away the three's and buckets under the hoop. We can live with them shooting open jumpers from the FT line area. But we can't let Kenny Williams and Cam Johnson get open looks from three, and we can't let them get lob dunks.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:58 am
  • Does anyone know what section the UW fans will be sitting in vs UNC I would like to buy a ticket.
    seacat1
    NET Rookie

Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:05 pm
  • seacat1 wrote:Does anyone know what section the UW fans will be sitting in vs UNC I would like to buy a ticket.

So jealous. I heard there are a ton of tickets available now that Cincinnati lost.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:31 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    seacat1 wrote:Does anyone know what section the UW fans will be sitting in vs UNC I would like to buy a ticket.

So jealous. I heard there are a ton of tickets available now that Cincinnati lost.

Yes. It looks like plenty of tickets available just hoping to find something behind the UW bench or close.
    seacat1
    NET Rookie

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:48 pm
  • I don’t expect the UW to win against a #1 seed, if they can play a close competitive game I would be happy.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:53 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:I don’t expect the UW to win against a #1 seed, if they can play a close competitive game I would be happy.

Why not? They played GU pretty close at GU.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:21 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:I don’t expect the UW to win against a #1 seed, if they can play a close competitive game I would be happy.

They played Gonzaga great, and almost pulled that game out.
    IMHO NC is a step above Gonzaga.

I would love the Dawgs to prove me wrong and you can come back and say “see, I told you so”, but I don’t see that happening.

Prove me wrong Dawgs!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:13 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Natethegreat wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:I don’t expect the UW to win against a #1 seed, if they can play a close competitive game I would be happy.

They played Gonzaga great, and almost pulled that game out.
    IMHO NC is a step above Gonzaga.

I would love the Dawgs to prove me wrong and you can come back and say “see, I told you so”, but I don’t see that happening.

Prove me wrong Dawgs!

I know the Zags lost to UNC but it was a cross country game on UNC's home court after just playing Tennessee and it was finals week which the zags always play terrible around( lost to Portland Sate one year at home during finals week).
    I wouldn't read too much into that loss.
    I was just reading an article on CBS sports that stated this:

Gonzaga is the best team remaining in the field
    Throw a zone at Gonzaga, and the Zags will shoot you out of it. Throw man defense at them, and they will shred it like cheddar. Every time you try to zig, this team is capable of zagging (pun very much intended).

This is the very best team remaining in the NCAA Tournament field.

And after Saturday, it's hard to argue it doesn't boast the two best players out of the East Regional with Brandon Clarke, who scored 38 on an efficient 15 of 18 shooting in the Bulldogs' 83-71 win over Bayloer, in a game where All-America candidate Rui Hachimura was limited to six points.

Add in the re-emergence and renewed health of Killian Tillie, the 6-10 center who can block shots, make threes and throw down rim-rocking dunks, and you've got yourself a near-flawless team from top to bottom that just might win the whole thing. Especially if Brandon Clarke is doing stuff that puts him in the same rarefied air as Shaq and David Robinson.

My point being UW went toe to toe with the Zags on their home court. They can do the same with UNC. They are not a notch above GU imo or the opinion of many others.
    There are three legitimately good national title contenders this year in Duke, GU, and UNC and I would put UNC third on that list.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:13 am
  • Not the point of the topic, but Michigan, Virginia, Tennessee, Michigan State, Kentucky are as legit title contenders as Gonzaga.

Washington will have to play a perfect game today, and get some help from UNC. But that's how upsets work in this tournament, so its certainly a possibility.

Im thinking that 8-9 seed might be the worst place to be in the NCAA tournament.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:04 am
  • Upset can definitely happen. I have hope for UW because of our experience, our coach and our zone. While UNC is familiar with the zone, I could see them taking time to adjust to it. Of all the #1 seeds, I think UNC is most likely to fall. They can be inconcsistent at times this season. I think we will see Hop extend the zone on the perimeter against Kenny Williams and Cam Johnson and allow them to shoot that mid range shot around the FT line area. Obviously we will need great shooting and performances from our guys.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:41 am
  • Natethegreat wrote:

GU didn’t have Tillie in that game. They are a better team with Tillie healthy which he is now.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:51 am
  • I predict Washington wins this one. I base that on nothing more than my desire for them to win. Let's do this...
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:38 pm
  • Maybe guard that kid a little tighter
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:58 pm
  • Down 8 at half UW is within reach. Really important they don't let UNC come out in the second half and extend that lead.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:04 pm
  • Their zone is weird.

It's creating turnovers... but its also leaving open perimeter shots and (by what seems to be design) allowing UNCs big men to receive the ball freely and take whatever shot they want from 10 feet.

be interesting to see if there's a change for 2nd half
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:28 pm
  • Husky defense not creating enough turnovers to make up for terrible offensive sets. Husky basketball and football teams very much alike. Great defense and terrible offense.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:38 pm
  • Pretty much what I expected, this team just doesn't have the talent to compete with top national teams.

Oh well, onto to next season.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:14 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Their zone is weird.

It's creating turnovers... but its also leaving open perimeter shots and (by what seems to be design) allowing UNCs big men to receive the ball freely and take whatever shot they want from 10 feet.

Think the game plan was to allow that shot around the FT line area. For the most part we defended the perimeter well, they just are really good from out there. In a zone, you usually can’t take away everything. Hop has said many times after games that they are fine giving up that mid range shot. Unfortunately Nassir Little is the perfect guy to put there.

Nothing to be ashamed of, we lost to a better team.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:37 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Their zone is weird.

Think the game plan was to allow that shot around the FT line area. For the most part we defended the perimeter well, they just are really good from out there. In a zone, you usually can’t take away everything. Hop has said many times after games that they are fine giving up that mid range shot. Unfortunately Nassir Little is the perfect guy to put there.

Nothing to be ashamed of, we lost to a better team.

The shots were too easy though. And the Huskies couldnt hit their easy bsskets.

I understand losing to a better team. that was a little different
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:55 pm
  • I agree they were easy, but credit to UNC for attacking us there. If you go back and watch our upset against Kansas, we gave up that FT line area all game. I remember Fran Fraschilla continually saying that Legerald Vick could score 40 points in that area because Hop was willing to give that up.

We just don’t have a rim protector, zone will look a bit different with Stewart there next season.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:56 pm
  • Horrible offense is what I saw..
    It's all long shots and if you miss keep shooting..
    Skills and fundamentals of the game are lacking.
    No wonder the NBA is a 3pt parade :pukeface:
    I give that one guy on UW knows how to play D.
    I'm done with any men's basketball.
    I saw so much better till the last 8 yrs or so on
    all levels.
    I'll just watch women since they can play the
    way the game is meant to be played.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:28 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information