A team name for the Seattle NHL team

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:55 pm
  • I have seen a lot of people ask names for the NHL team in Seattle. I have seen names such as Sockeye, Steelheads, and Totems. Names that I think do not have flavor in Ice Hockey, I thought a good name would be using a local marine animal for the name. I present to you the Seattle Seals.

    Now some of you will disagree with this name, but I think it really fits the overall theme of Ice Hockey and Seattle. Lots of teams are named after maritime animals and they sound pretty impressive, such the Pittsburgh Penguins, San Jose Sharks, and Anaheim Ducks. Now I think the word "Seal" is a good addition to this tradition because sometimes if you see a cartoon with funny animals in it if there's a hockey scene you will see like Penguins, Seals, and Polar Bears playing the sport. I think also that SEAls rhyme with SEAttle, just like the SEAhawks. Also, most people outside the Seattle area would find the name Seal more memorable and marketable (it is short and easy to say).

    I think the name "sockeyes" would sound silly to people outside the pacific northwest, they would imagine a pair of socks in place of eyes. Steelheads also sound like un-hockey like. I mean those things are fish, FISH of all things! Fish are not intimidating, they are like the bottom of the food chain. Also, let's not forget that sockeyes and steelheads are eaten by Seals. Sure seals also have predators themselves but they are also top predators of their habitat in some ways. I mean there are some species of Seals that eat PENGUINS! (look it up on youtube) and some species of Seals you do not want to mess with!

    I think Totems sound like a junior hockey name, most people are not gonna take the name "Totems" seriously, it's like naming your team the "Statues" or "Arcs". It has to make sense with the climate of Hockey and how there is a trend of naming a team after aquatic animals.

    You may disagree and that is ok, but I stand with my belief that the name "Seattle Seals" is the perfect name.

    Feel free to discuss why you disagree or agree, but you have to be constructive and back up your arguments.
    silverandgold
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 50
    Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:49 pm
    Location: CT-unhappily in new england ugh


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:59 pm
  • I actually like how the Seattle Tsunami sounds. But in today’s PC world thus would never be allowed.
    BubbaGump
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 233
    Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 pm


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:30 pm
  • Emeralds, Pilots or Metropolitans.

    The Seattle Metropolitans were the first American Stanley Cup champs.

    Image Image Image
    Last edited by massari on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1414
    Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:58 am


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:35 pm
  • I’m still partial to the sockeye name.. the double meaning coupled with a possible logo of a cartoonish salmon with a black eye and a boxing glove on would be unique, hilarious, and badass imo
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4097
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:09 pm


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:00 pm
  • Rainiers
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3152
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:26 am


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:20 pm
  • Kraken.

    Image


    Image
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 28157
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:31 pm
  • The Pilots were our first MLB team for one year until Bud Selig
    stole the team and they became the Brewers..I guess stole is
    too big of a term.
    The team went bankrupt and he got them.
    I don't want that name ..Why not the Sonics???
    Leave the crappy names for NBA basketball lol.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4725
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:41 pm
  • Seattle ...... None of those rolls off the tongue well.
    Last edited by Chawker on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2620
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum.


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:41 pm
  • Seattle Stoners
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3152
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:26 am


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:45 pm
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:Seattle Stoners


    Too religious
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4097
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:09 pm


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:46 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:Seattle Stoners


    Too religious


    I figured it's progressive. Like Milwaukee Brewers hahaha
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3152
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:26 am


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:47 pm
  • I like the Seattle Sasquatch. Or the Kraken
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3380
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:46 am


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:56 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Kraken.

    Image


    Image


    Yep. Kraken. I hope this one wins. I was a little "meh" on it at first, but it's grown on me. It's really original and different. Just imagine the pregame... The other team has had their intro's and has taken the ice. Then the lights go down, lasers and disco ball lights only. The music starts pumping loud (something heavy rock and a bit ominous). Then the Announcer yells out in a guttural voice "RELEASE.... THE KRAKEN!!!". And then our player intro's begin and they take the ice. Oh, C'mon! That would be awesome! It would be cooler than Squatch rappelling from the rafters before Sonics games!
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*
     
    Posts: 3693
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:39 am
    Location: Arlington, Washington


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 pm
  • Seattle Kraken is my choice but I don't think it will happen. It's too esoteric and edgy, and they will go with something safe.

    The red and black color scheme tells me it will be the Totems or Sockeyes. Red and black is a very popular color scheme for pacific northwest tribal art.

    I have a feeling it will be the Seattle Sockeyes just because "Totem" will get us into racial/cultural appropriation things (not trying to spark that debate just saying in this day and age they may wanna avoid it all together)
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3590
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:51 am


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:09 pm
  • Hawknballs wrote:Seattle Kraken is my choice but I don't think it will happen. It's too esoteric and edgy, and they will go with something safe.

    The red and black color scheme tells me it will be the Totems or Sockeyes. Red and black is a very popular color scheme for pacific northwest tribal art.

    I have a feeling it will be the Seattle Sockeyes just because "Totem" will get us into racial/cultural appropriation things (not trying to spark that debate just saying in this day and age they may wanna avoid it all together)


    Sockeye's would probably be my second choice, but to make it really cool, it'd have to have the right logo. Something with a black eye ala the Rat City Roller Girls logo.

    Image

    Girly I know, but it's baddass at the same time. Something more on the manly side of course...
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*
     
    Posts: 3693
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:39 am
    Location: Arlington, Washington


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:11 pm
  • Rhodies

    best thing is.. cool emblem and you arn't limited to the color you want.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2530
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:22 pm
  • Hawknballs wrote:
    I have a feeling it will be the Seattle Sockeyes just because "Totem" will get us into racial/cultural appropriation things (not trying to spark that debate just saying in this day and age they may wanna avoid it all together)


    I would think you are probably right on that.

    But Kraken is just too awesome to pass up, too.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 106498
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:29 pm


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:23 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:Rhodies

    best thing is.. cool emblem and you arn't limited to the color you want.


    Hey, that cool you wanna come out in this forum man. I'm alright with it.... :lol: J/K buddy.... :D
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*
     
    Posts: 3693
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:39 am
    Location: Arlington, Washington


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:36 pm
  • LOL.. ok ok.

    Hey, one of the fiercest most respected group of fighters in WW2 used the little edelweiss as their emblem.. no one ever teased them about it.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2530
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:56 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:LOL.. ok ok.

    Hey, one of the fiercest most respected group of fighters in WW2 used the little edelweiss as their emblem.. no one ever teased them about it.


    Yeah, they were baddasses... but we'd be teased about that nowadays... lol... I just want something baddass.

    No big bud. I appreciate the vids you've sent me over the years! I'm just givin' ya shit! heh heh
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*
     
    Posts: 3693
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:39 am
    Location: Arlington, Washington


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:01 pm
  • BlueThunder wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:LOL.. ok ok.

    Hey, one of the fiercest most respected group of fighters in WW2 used the little edelweiss as their emblem.. no one ever teased them about it.


    Yeah, they were baddasses... but we'd be teased about that nowadays... lol... I just want something baddass.

    No big bud. I appreciate the vids you've sent me over the years! I'm just givin' ya shit! heh heh


    No worries.. I know how it could be taken .. especially here.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2530
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:45 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:LOL.. ok ok.

    Hey, one of the fiercest most respected group of fighters in WW2 used the little edelweiss as their emblem.. no one ever teased them about it.


    Yeah, they were baddasses... but we'd be teased about that nowadays... lol... I just want something baddass.

    No big bud. I appreciate the vids you've sent me over the years! I'm just givin' ya shit! heh heh


    No worries.. I know how it could be taken .. especially here.


    Yep, I know what ya mean, but me and you, always cool buddy. KRAKEN! lol
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*
     
    Posts: 3693
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:39 am
    Location: Arlington, Washington


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:19 pm
  • Well I think of the much feared Dolphin Logo and team when I hear Sockeyes, then the Mets first team is New York, we would always be second fiddle. Pilots are you kidding me, they have a failed legacy, Emeralds ummm going to OZ anyone? Rainier's is already taken and then there is the Beer name where you would have to get rights to as well as the AAA team releasing it.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 28157
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:25 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Well I think of the much feared Dolphin Logo and team when I hear Sockeyes, then the Mets first team is New York, we would always be second fiddle. Pilots are you kidding me, they have a failed legacy, Emeralds ummm going to OZ anyone? Rainier's is already taken and then there is the Beer name where you would have to get rights to as well as the AAA team releasing it.


    I still like Rainiers
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3152
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:26 am


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:39 pm
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Well I think of the much feared Dolphin Logo and team when I hear Sockeyes, then the Mets first team is New York, we would always be second fiddle. Pilots are you kidding me, they have a failed legacy, Emeralds ummm going to OZ anyone? Rainier's is already taken and then there is the Beer name where you would have to get rights to as well as the AAA team releasing it.


    I still like Rainiers


    Name is already taken buddy. That's what everybody would say. Tacoma Rainiers, Minor league baseball club. Off the table IMO. I want something original. I'd vote Totems third over my first two, Kraken and Sockeyes. That would be pretty much what I expect, lame-ass safe name. *sigh* Weak. C'mon man... Just do the damn Kraken. Be off the wall and original. For a change.
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*
     
    Posts: 3693
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:39 am
    Location: Arlington, Washington


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:41 pm
  • Well as long as the Council isn't involved , if they were they could be the Seattle Queen Anne's.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 28157
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:46 pm
  • BlueThunder wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Well I think of the much feared Dolphin Logo and team when I hear Sockeyes, then the Mets first team is New York, we would always be second fiddle. Pilots are you kidding me, they have a failed legacy, Emeralds ummm going to OZ anyone? Rainier's is already taken and then there is the Beer name where you would have to get rights to as well as the AAA team releasing it.


    I still like Rainiers


    Name is already taken buddy. That's what everybody would say. Tacoma Rainiers, Minor league baseball club. Off the table IMO. I want something original. I'd vote Totems third over my first two, Kraken and Sockeyes. That would be pretty much what I expect, lame-ass safe name. *sigh* Weak. C'mon man... Just do the damn Kraken. Be off the wall and original. For a change.


    Dude, minor league baseball teams don’t count. Or we’d erase a ton of pro mascots. Just sayin’
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3152
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:26 am


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:58 pm
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:Dude, minor league baseball teams don’t count. Or we’d erase a ton of pro mascots. Just sayin’


    Well, I'd always hear "Hey, the Rainier's are playing this weekend! And I'd say "Baseball or Hockey?". Let's not go through that shit. And we won't, 'cause that's not gonna happen. I bet they do something stupid like "Totems", or lamer yet, the "Metropolitan's". Damnit. I'd lay my money on corporate A-holes going with whatever is "safe and comfy". ARGHHHH!!!! Let's go off the grid for a change and do something edgy. The league would adapt instantly to Kracken and nobody would think it sounded strange after a game or two. Well, IMO anyways.
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*
     
    Posts: 3693
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:39 am
    Location: Arlington, Washington


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:36 pm
  • BlueThunder wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:Dude, minor league baseball teams don’t count. Or we’d erase a ton of pro mascots. Just sayin’


    Well, I'd always hear "Hey, the Rainier's are playing this weekend! And I'd say "Baseball or Hockey?". Let's not go through that shit. And we won't, 'cause that's not gonna happen. I bet they do something stupid like "Totems", or lamer yet, the "Metropolitan's". Damnit. I'd lay my money on corporate A-holes going with whatever is "safe and comfy". ARGHHHH!!!! Let's go off the grid for a change and do something edgy. The league would adapt instantly to Kracken and nobody would think it sounded strange after a game or two. Well, IMO anyways.


    I probably know like 5 people in real life that know that's the name of our minor league baseball. In reality the average person doesn't give two shits about a minor league team and if they're playing that weekend.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4097
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:09 pm


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:59 am
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:Dude, minor league baseball teams don’t count. Or we’d erase a ton of pro mascots. Just sayin’


    Well, I'd always hear "Hey, the Rainier's are playing this weekend! And I'd say "Baseball or Hockey?". Let's not go through that shit. And we won't, 'cause that's not gonna happen. I bet they do something stupid like "Totems", or lamer yet, the "Metropolitan's". Damnit. I'd lay my money on corporate A-holes going with whatever is "safe and comfy". ARGHHHH!!!! Let's go off the grid for a change and do something edgy. The league would adapt instantly to Kracken and nobody would think it sounded strange after a game or two. Well, IMO anyways.


    I probably know like 5 people in real life that know that's the name of our minor league baseball. In reality the average person doesn't give two shits about a minor league team and if they're playing that weekend.



    So Mom, Dad, and that leaves three, you lose credibility :)

    If your're raised here in the Seattle area you know the Rainier's, they were here before the Pilots, it's not gonna happen, all the Imports have no idea of the History of the area and should not comment on the things they do not understand from a Locals perspective.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 28157
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:22 am
  • Highlighters

    Malice
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2530
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:27 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:Dude, minor league baseball teams don’t count. Or we’d erase a ton of pro mascots. Just sayin’


    Well, I'd always hear "Hey, the Rainier's are playing this weekend! And I'd say "Baseball or Hockey?". Let's not go through that shit. And we won't, 'cause that's not gonna happen. I bet they do something stupid like "Totems", or lamer yet, the "Metropolitan's". Damnit. I'd lay my money on corporate A-holes going with whatever is "safe and comfy". ARGHHHH!!!! Let's go off the grid for a change and do something edgy. The league would adapt instantly to Kracken and nobody would think it sounded strange after a game or two. Well, IMO anyways.


    I probably know like 5 people in real life that know that's the name of our minor league baseball. In reality the average person doesn't give two shits about a minor league team and if they're playing that weekend.



    So Mom, Dad, and that leaves three, you lose credibility :)

    If your're raised here in the Seattle area you know the Rainier's, they were here before the Pilots, it's not gonna happen, all the Imports have no idea of the History of the area and should not comment on the things they do not understand from a Locals perspective.



    Yup, I get it. Love going to Rainiers games. Cheap, fun and tickets are easy to come by. Still, I can’t think of a better name. It likely won’t happen.

    Since we tend to use the same letter. I think Seattle Sockeyes is the most likely name. Or Sea Lions.
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3152
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:26 am


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:35 am
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Well I think of the much feared Dolphin Logo and team when I hear Sockeyes, then the Mets first team is New York, we would always be second fiddle. Pilots are you kidding me, they have a failed legacy, Emeralds ummm going to OZ anyone? Rainier's is already taken and then there is the Beer name where you would have to get rights to as well as the AAA team releasing it.


    I still like Rainiers


    Name is already taken buddy. That's what everybody would say. Tacoma Rainiers, Minor league baseball club. Off the table IMO. I want something original. I'd vote Totems third over my first two, Kraken and Sockeyes. That would be pretty much what I expect, lame-ass safe name. *sigh* Weak. C'mon man... Just do the damn Kraken. Be off the wall and original. For a change.


    Dude, minor league baseball teams don’t count. Or we’d erase a ton of pro mascots. Just sayin’


    Of course it counts............not only legally with trademark and marketing rights, but regionally with fanbases, media confusion and overall fan sentiment.

    Why would you choose a name that's going to cause legal issues, controversy and confusion?
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15520
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:37 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    I still like Rainiers


    Name is already taken buddy. That's what everybody would say. Tacoma Rainiers, Minor league baseball club. Off the table IMO. I want something original. I'd vote Totems third over my first two, Kraken and Sockeyes. That would be pretty much what I expect, lame-ass safe name. *sigh* Weak. C'mon man... Just do the damn Kraken. Be off the wall and original. For a change.


    Dude, minor league baseball teams don’t count. Or we’d erase a ton of pro mascots. Just sayin’


    Of course it counts............not only legally with trademark and marketing rights, but regionally with fanbases, media confusion and overall fan sentiment.

    Why would you choose a name that's going to cause legal issues, controversy and confusion?


    Because I like it and I’m an a-hole.
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3152
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:26 am


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:46 am
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:
    Name is already taken buddy. That's what everybody would say. Tacoma Rainiers, Minor league baseball club. Off the table IMO. I want something original. I'd vote Totems third over my first two, Kraken and Sockeyes. That would be pretty much what I expect, lame-ass safe name. *sigh* Weak. C'mon man... Just do the damn Kraken. Be off the wall and original. For a change.


    Dude, minor league baseball teams don’t count. Or we’d erase a ton of pro mascots. Just sayin’


    Of course it counts............not only legally with trademark and marketing rights, but regionally with fanbases, media confusion and overall fan sentiment.

    Why would you choose a name that's going to cause legal issues, controversy and confusion?


    Because I like it and I’m an a-hole.


    I appreciate your honesty, but it ain't happening. Learn to love the Totems or Steelhead.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15520
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:42 am
  • The only name I came up with is the "Seattle Sawyers" saw blades for skates and axes for sticks.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2620
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum.


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:14 pm
  • Hell no on Seals. The California/Oakland Seals were the last big 4 professional sports team to fail.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5705
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:42 pm
  • I thought Sea Lions sounded cool.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5349
    Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:36 am
    Location: Aiken , SC


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:11 pm
  • another sea team..lame
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2530
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:23 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:another sea team..lame


    Yup. And it would be embarrassing. Like the Pelicans or something. And would our chant be ARF ARF ARF! ?
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*
     
    Posts: 3693
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:39 am
    Location: Arlington, Washington


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:27 pm
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:Rainiers


    BTW Sox... I would love Rainiers if it wasn't already taken locally. It would be right up there for me with Kraken.
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*
     
    Posts: 3693
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:39 am
    Location: Arlington, Washington


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:30 pm
  • The Seattle Passive-Aggressives

    Captures the true nature of the city, and doesn't have "sea" in the name. Well, except for the city name. So Mr Bobblehead will be good with it.

    ;)
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 7022
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:55 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:The Seattle Passive-Aggressives

    Captures the true nature of the city, and doesn't have "sea" in the name. Well, except for the city name. So Mr Bobblehead will be good with it.

    ;)


    So what's your choice, Geek... Seeing as you chimed on in? I'm pretty sure it's not Passive-Aggressives.... :D
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*
     
    Posts: 3693
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:39 am
    Location: Arlington, Washington


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:59 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:The Seattle Passive-Aggressives

    Captures the true nature of the city, and doesn't have "sea" in the name. Well, except for the city name. So Mr Bobblehead will be good with it.

    ;)


    The Seattle Homeless captures the tru essence of Seattle.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3474
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:49 pm


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:15 pm
  • Seattle Hipsters?
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3152
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:26 am


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:07 pm
  • I heard this is the front runner and Im 10000000% on board.






    Image
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2207
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:40 am
    Location: Enumclaw, WA


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:41 pm
  • My "Sea " comment was lame, I apologize.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2530
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:23 pm
  • BlueThunder wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:The Seattle Passive-Aggressives

    Captures the true nature of the city, and doesn't have "sea" in the name. Well, except for the city name. So Mr Bobblehead will be good with it.

    ;)


    So what's your choice, Geek... Seeing as you chimed on in? I'm pretty sure it's not Passive-Aggressives.... :D


    I'm not exactly sure yet. You're right about me being facetious there. I'm not dead-set against something with 'sea' in the name, and certainly Seattle Sea Lions is way less 'wimpy' than the Seattle Seals. Using the Metropolitans name is stupid, as is Rainiers or Totems. Krakens is just weird. As is Sockeyes. You may as well call the team the Seattle Chum Salmons at that point. I guess we could go with another fish and a double-meaning name and use Seattle Cutthroats? Or use the native name for Mt Rainier and name it the Seattle Tahomas… I'm sure that'd go over with the population of King County! :mrgreen:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 7022
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:51 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    I still like Rainiers


    Name is already taken buddy. That's what everybody would say. Tacoma Rainiers, Minor league baseball club. Off the table IMO. I want something original. I'd vote Totems third over my first two, Kraken and Sockeyes. That would be pretty much what I expect, lame-ass safe name. *sigh* Weak. C'mon man... Just do the damn Kraken. Be off the wall and original. For a change.


    Dude, minor league baseball teams don’t count. Or we’d erase a ton of pro mascots. Just sayin’


    Of course it counts............not only legally with trademark and marketing rights, but regionally with fanbases, media confusion and overall fan sentiment.

    Why would you choose a name that's going to cause legal issues, controversy and confusion?

    Bingo. Well said!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 25709
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:56 pm
  • Kraken....and we’ll be known around the league as the “Butt Kracks” or “Krak Heads”...
    purpleworld
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 439
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 12:18 pm


Next


It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:35 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests