Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seattle Kraken Hockey

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Seattle Kraken Hockey
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:25 pm
  • Krackers.. not sure how politically correct that will be.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:21 pm
  • The Seattle Octopuses...go ‘puses!!
    purpleworld
    NET Starter

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:42 am
  • I'm not a big fan of the logo. If I didn't know it was a kraken, I would have no idea what it's supposed to be. At first glance it looks like a Lovecraftian seahorse.

Edit: Also, there is this idea floating around on that Kraken is an irregular plural; this is not true. The plural form of Kraken is - in fact - Krakens, so calling the team "The Seattle Kraken" is grammatically wrong.
    Last edited by knownone on Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:52 am
  • I was going to post a hundred words about how angry I was then I realized it will be ok we have an NHL team...finally. Links to the area are quite clear if you take the time to read their rational for the name, I personally wanted Metropolitans but understand why that wasn’t going to happen. Not sure they will survive with Maulbert and Chapow not on board.
    Flyingsquad23
    NET Rookie

Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:12 am
  • Flyingsquad23 wrote:I was going to post a hundred words about how angry I was then I realized it will be ok we have an NHL team...finally. Links to the area are quite clear if you take the time to read their rational for the name, I personally wanted Metropolitans but understand why that wasn’t going to happen. Not sure they will survive with Maulbert and Chapow not on board.

I don't suggest a lack of my money will hurt them. Doesn't mean I need to throw it away like a $h!t.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:42 am
  • I admit. I HATED the name Kraken and prayed they wouldn’t call the team that but now that it’s a done deal, and having seen the logos and colors, I’m on board. The heck with it. Sure it will be called “The Krack House” or the “Krack Shack”. Of course fans will be called “Krack Heads” and so forth. Talk about lofting softballs for opposing fans. However, I do appreciate the nod to our local heritage (see TwistedHusky’s excellent post on the matter) and the logos are strong. The colors will grow on me. That secondary logo of the anchor and needle is sliiiick. With all that is going on in the world, I am ready to embrace my new hometown NHL team. Go Kraken!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:28 am
  • Krak Heads is a great name for a fan club. Opposing fans won't be able to use it as an insult if we take it and own it first. And even so, who cares? We could have been the Metrosexuals, or the Suckeyes, or the Scrotums.

Also as far as the "It's not PNW, wahhhh!" crowd goes, again, who cares? Most sports teams have names that have nothing to do with the teams region.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:33 am
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Krak Heads is a great name for a fan club. Opposing fans won't be able to use it as an insult if we take it and own it first. And even so, who cares? We could have been the Metrosexuals, or the Suckeyes, or the Scrotums.

Exactly, any name they were going to find something to insult us with. Might as well embrace it and own it.

twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:28 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:So steal a time honored tradition from Detroit of throwing a squid on the ice?

Your boys will come out of a squid tunnel to either of these clips:
    https://youtu.be/38AYeNGjqg0

https://youtu.be/pRvIfjglF_I

Or maybe this

https://youtu.be/BQpgIJUh9D4

Ah, yes, the Great Lakes region, famous for their abundant amounts of...native squid and octopi. Makes about as much sense as Tampa Bay throwing a marmot on the ice.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:33 am

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:35 am
  • I'm well aware of the history; traditions in general are just bizarre. Random person does wacky thing forever ago for no particular reason and today they're just carried on in the form of peer pressure from dead people.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:46 am
  • 253hawk wrote:I'm well aware of the history; traditions in general are just bizarre. Random person does wacky thing forever ago for no particular reason and today they're just carried on in the form of peer pressure from dead people.

Holds more tradition than thinking it's okay to steal someone else's because of what you named the team.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:47 am

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:51 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    253hawk wrote:I'm well aware of the history; traditions in general are just bizarre. Random person does wacky thing forever ago for no particular reason and today they're just carried on in the form of peer pressure from dead people.

Holds more tradition than thinking it's okay to steal someone else's because of what you named the team.

How is using a creature from Norse folklore stealing anything from the Red Wings?
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:04 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    253hawk wrote:I'm well aware of the history; traditions in general are just bizarre. Random person does wacky thing forever ago for no particular reason and today they're just carried on in the form of peer pressure from dead people.

How is using a creature from Norse folklore stealing anything from the Red Wings?

I said stealing a tradition, not a name. Saying you have more right to throwing octopi on the rink because 70 years after it was first done 2,000 miles away you chose to name your team after an overgrown octopus is just plain stupid.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:18 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:I said stealing a tradition, not a name. Saying you have more right to throwing octopi on the rink because 70 years after it was first done 2,000 miles away you chose to name your team after an overgrown octopus is just plain stupid.

No one said anything about rights, especially since it's never been stated anywhere that Kraken fans were going to just start throwing calamari onto the ice to celebrate (which is stupid anyway, imo). Holy defensive projection, Batman.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:47 pm
  • We literally have the National Nordic Museum in Ballard. There are plenty of wicked cool nordic traditions & legends that center on the sea.

I am sure they can come up with a better idea, with norse maritime roots, than throwing squid on the ice. That contribution would also help people see the connection between the name and this region.

Also squid are not Kraken.

However, if they found a way to drop a giant squid on the ice before the game? That would be awesome, but only if it was a giant squid - not those smaller things. I'd actually prefer to see an anchor dropped center ice, but that might be dangerous.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:16 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Also squid are not Kraken.

However, if they found a way to drop a giant squid on the ice before the game? That would be awesome, but only if it was a giant squid - not those smaller things. I'd actually prefer to see an anchor dropped center ice, but that might be dangerous.

I guess I thought Kraken was octopus. If so, let's excise squid from our brains.

Ho hum to dropping anything on the ice. A short laser or light effects show, with the arena lights briefly dimmed, that look like giant octopus tentacles slowly feeling their way throughout the arena, at pre-game, intermissions, and perhaps after Kraken scores -- that would float my boat.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:19 pm
  • More I look at the jerseys the more I like it. Really excited to see what they do with the goalie mask. Also, for those who don't like the team name...nothing can be worse than "climate pledge arena" just keep that in mind.
    Attachments
    Edtt-cGWAAAkqdL.jpg
    Edtt-cGWAAAkqdL.jpg (154.29 KiB) Viewed 415 times
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:45 pm
  • I like the space needle on the anchor.. not sure where the anchor comes in on though.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:02 pm

• Hope this is the third jersey.
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:11 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:

You would have been happier being named after our rivals food? The sockeye.

Orcas eat squid more than salmon.

This kraken is named more after a giant octopus, rather than a squid though.

You think they make a distinction? They eat more octopus than salmon, too.

Not the pods in the puget sound, who are starving due to a shortage of salmon.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:33 am
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Krak Heads is a great name for a fan club. Opposing fans won't be able to use it as an insult if we take it and own it first. And even so, who cares? We could have been the Metrosexuals, or the Suckeyes, or the Scrotums.

Also as far as the "It's not PNW, wahhhh!" crowd goes, again, who cares? Most sports teams have names that have nothing to do with the teams region.

And there it is. My response I was gonna type. Perfecto.... Kraken is awesome, IMO... A Badass, deadly sea creature, albeit mythical. I absolutely LOVE the name, and it was my choice from the start. It's different, and so original. Perusing the Vancouver Canucks message board, most of them think it's pretty cool, and are looking forward to the instant rivalry. A couple Canuck fans even said our jerseys were "siiiick" and may have to buy one!
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:13 am
  • If you embrace the name and have a fan club that takes it ahead of the season then it isn't going to be an insult since you already owned it and made it a positive.

They did the same thing with the 12th man at first, till we got the Wave going in the Kingdome with Bill the Beerman, and the offsides or false start leader in penalties for opposition, and they couldn't hear their signals.

Then the fun really started with trying to institute fan rules targeted at Seahawks fans, that worked well lol, that rabid fan activity carried over to Husky Field and the Clink,. Even back in the Sonics days the Coliseum would rock and roll, I remember sitting next to one of the columns during the Championship runs and the column was vibrating just from noise, not feet stomping or things like that.

Embrace it and own it turn what others will try to make negative into a positive.

Having Club Gear representing a Kraken since we can shape it pretty much how we want would be cool.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:00 pm
  • Not that it matters, but it's actually pronounced 'crock-uhn'. So throw that in anyone's face that makes childish remarks about crack. Team name puns are the dumbest thing that should start and stop in grade school.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:23 pm
  • The name isn't perfect but it could have been much much worse and isnt even the worst team name in the city.

I'm just happy to have a team, and that S logo is badass looking. I can't wait to buy a hat with it.
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:38 pm
  • I'm waiting for the secondary logo, the anchor, to be on some merchandise. Then I'll probably go bankrupt.

PS Fanatics.com has some stuff up already.
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:48 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:I'm waiting for the secondary logo, the anchor, to be on some merchandise. Then I'll probably go bankrupt.

PS Fanatics.com has some stuff up already.

I’ve seen some mock ups of both the S and anchor combined that looked cool.
    Would be even cooler if they slightly shade one of the logos in another color of one of the 4 blue colors.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: A team name for the Seattle NHL team
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:02 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:Kraken is an embarrassing, tacky XFL like name. Hope it turns out to be untrue.

I standby this 100% but what can you do - not going to root for anyone else. Simple 'S' logo is nice enough. Definitely feels very detached from "Seattle" but so does the whole project, really + most other things in this city now. It'll be fun to watch a local NHL team, at least.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:46 pm
  • sammyc521 wrote:
    Hope this is the third jersey.

Wonder how many people will tattoo this..
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:44 pm
  • knownone wrote:I'm not a big fan of the logo. If I didn't know it was a kraken, I would have no idea what it's supposed to be. At first glance it looks like a Lovecraftian seahorse.

Edit: Also, there is this idea floating around on that Kraken is an irregular plural; this is not true. The plural form of Kraken is - in fact - Krakens, so calling the team "The Seattle Kraken" is grammatically wrong.

It can be either.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:49 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:It's a Jersey, that's what I'm gonna' call it. Nobody is gonna' tell me what to call it. I've never heard the term Sweater, but that sounds lame. We have a fricken NHL team and people are bickering over the name and the jerseys. Good luck with that.

:lol: you didn't expect it?
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:11 am
  • Does this make us all "crackers" ? I'm already goofy enough without the help of the NHL.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:41 am
  • Seattle Kraken - Crackin' your skull!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:10 pm
  • The name is unconventional, sure, but it's not that bad. The NHL is full of bland and terrible names...Senators, Wild, (Mighty) Ducks, Avalanche, Hurricanes, Lightning, Capitals, Maple Leafs...come on now. I'm not hearing any superior alternative suggestions.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:59 pm
  • I like the name now!I saw many horrible names
    suggested.
    The logo is really good and it's better than the
    Mariners by far..
    I am a fan and will buy something soon.
    BTW-Chris you picked right on :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:47 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:The name is unconventional, sure, but it's not that bad. The NHL is full of bland and terrible names...Senators, Wild, (Mighty) Ducks, Avalanche, Hurricanes, Lightning, Capitals, Maple Leafs...come on now. I'm not hearing any superior alternative suggestions.

Yea, there are terrible names in pro sports, teams named after pairs of socks, and really dumb animals. Like Ducks and Pelicans. What about the Wizards? lol Talk about nerdy.

When you compare some of the horrible names out there, Kraken sounds pretty awesome.
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:37 pm
  • Yikes...saw that the ice sweepers during the commercial breaks will be referred to as crack who**...that's a tad extreme.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:43 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Yikes...saw that the ice sweepers during the commercial breaks will be referred to as crack who**...that's a tad extreme.

It’s Krak who**. Get it right! 8)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:54 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:Yikes...saw that the ice sweepers during the commercial breaks will be referred to as crack who**...that's a tad extreme.

Well hopefully they dont change the name down the road to the Seattle Hockey Team due to the offensive nature of the current name..
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:59 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:Yikes...saw that the ice sweepers during the commercial breaks will be referred to as crack who**...that's a tad extreme.

Well hopefully they dont change the name down the road to the Seattle Hockey Team due to the offensive nature of the current name..

I'm sure that marine life all over is lawyering up. :twisted:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:08 pm
  • Have never really been into Hockey, but now I have a reason to be! I'm friggin' stoked! I've already bought shirts and hats. I had to settle for an adjustable one for myself since the L/XL flex fit sold out in a few minutes it seems. If anyone has any 3440x1440 HD wallpapers, please point me in the direction! I've got three giant monitors that have two Seattle sports teams on each and would love to toss one on my third!

Fight about how silly it is or not, we got an NHL team!! Hell yeah!!
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:39 am
  • Fired up to learn the sport, I know just the basics. But if someone can't get stoked for NHL Hockey in Seattle, esp. after losing the Supes? I'm not sure what to tell you. Not watching a team because you don't like the name? One of the dumbest things I've ever heard. And very dot net.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:17 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Fired up to learn the sport, I know just the basics. But if someone can't get stoked for NHL Hockey in Seattle, esp. after losing the Supes? I'm not sure what to tell you. Not watching a team because you don't like the name? One of the dumbest things I've ever heard. And very dot net.

They won’t be getting this participation trophy.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:10 pm
  • Kind of surprised someone hasn’t started a Seattle Kraken forum stand alone site.
    I know there is the HF hockey forums but this team is going to be huge.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:12 pm
  • DHawk wrote:Have never really been into Hockey, but now I have a reason to be! I'm friggin' stoked! I've already bought shirts and hats. I had to settle for an adjustable one for myself since the L/XL flex fit sold out in a few minutes it seems. If anyone has any 3440x1440 HD wallpapers, please point me in the direction! I've got three giant monitors that have two Seattle sports teams on each and would love to toss one on my third!

Fight about how silly it is or not, we got an NHL team!! Hell yeah!!

Kind of my situation. I understand the rules been to a few Thunderbirds and Silver Tips games thru the years but never been to an NHL game.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:10 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Kind of surprised someone hasn’t started a Seattle Kraken forum stand alone site.
    I know there is the HF hockey forums but this team is going to be huge.

I tried "kraken .Net" the other day thinking that somebody would of gobbled it up by now.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:20 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information