NBA Fixing Games Report

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Yeah it happened! XL* was fixed.
There was a mini-Bru ha ha about Levy’s bookie spilling the beans a month or so ago.

AVL

Reaction score
Life is rigged, as in not at all fair. Then we die.

Why should sports entertainment be any different? They can be rigged both ways at once, making that the game.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Tim Donaghy rigged game 6 of the western conference finals.

" [sic] [the number of fouls called] [sic] 27 in the fourth quarter alone, and the Kings' big men were plagued with foul trouble (Divac, Webber, Scot Pollard, and Lawrence Funderburke were called for 20 fouls, with Divac and Pollard both fouling out"

"The document claimed that Donaghy told federal agents that to increase television ratings and ticket sales, "top executives of the NBA sought to manipulate games using referees".

Game 7 Western conference finals. Suns got 64 free throws vs the Sonics 36.

The NBA has been rigged for years and the Donaghy case should convinced everyone of that. ESPN had a TV deal with the NBA at the time. If they where real sports JOURNALISTS they would have exposed the corruption in the NBA in 2007. David Stern would have been forced to resign in disgrace.

As for the NFL, it happens but it is much harder to pull off with the size of officiating crews. I feel Superbowl XL was rigged but I guess I have a more "innocent" view of it. Jerome Bettis was so well liked by everyone that the refs were on his side and it affected their judgment. So I don't think XL was part of some NFL grand plan, I feel it was one crew that got caught up in the emotion of the event.

knownone

Reaction score
The dude testified in court saying he influenced games for bettors. Did we really need ESPN to verify it with research?

Why not do this for the NFL? It wouldn't take much to figure out the probability of a referee determining the outcome of an NFL game.

sdog1981

Reaction score
knownone":17n73ae4 said:
The dude testified in court saying he influenced games for bettors. Did we really need ESPN to verify it with research?

Why not do this for the NFL? It wouldn't take much to figure out the probability of a referee determining the outcome of an NFL game.

If ESPN talks about it non-stop then it is a story and the NBA will react. If ESPN ignores it then the story goes away. ESPN ran it as a headline and never followed up. It took 12 years before Yahoo published a story today.

In the NBA there are three refs so one of them can do more damage than an NFL crew with seven. With the number of play stoppages, Refs get onto other refs about the calls. I'm in no way saying it never happens but I just feel it would be harder to pull off. Fewer officials the easier it is to fix, take the world of soccer one ref on the field and that is why the game is so corrupt.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
There's only one ref on a soccer field? Wow.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":166tq5y0 said:
knownone":166tq5y0 said:

If ESPN talks about it non-stop then it is a story and the NBA will react. If ESPN ignores it then the story goes away. ESPN ran it as a headline and never followed up. It took 12 years before Yahoo published a story today.

In the NBA there are three refs so one of them can do more damage than an NFL crew with seven. With the number of play stoppages, Refs get onto other refs about the calls. I'm in no way saying it never happens but I just feel it would be harder to pull off. Fewer officials the easier it is to fix, take the world of soccer one ref on the field and that is why the game is so corrupt.

I disagree, if you have two of the seven agreeing between themselves, that can steer a game enough to put the game out of reach with a few bad/no calls....Saints vs. Rams was a perfect example of bias officiating, Bettis Bowl XL is another fine example of game steering.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
So this is a report on the happenings of 10 years ago? This is not new news. It is merely a rehash of the same thing and a reminder that nothing has really been done to prevent it from continuing.

chris98251

Reaction score
I bet if you look way way way back you could find the threads discussing this here, I remember it.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
This is the full ESPN story based on their extensive 2 year investigation. A very good read and well written article into the insights and actual relative ease that Donaghy’s games were fixed. And for those that feel rigging or steering would require elaborate conspiracies with too many people knowing, this proves that’s not necessary. Perhaps all it takes is 1 NFL ref to alter an outcome too.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2598 ... -nba-games