Seattle Sounders 2019 Season Thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Seattle Sounders 2019 Season Thread
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    I don't know the answer, play Svensson at CB? Hope Torres stops the slump after his suspension.

Well I know it's not trotting out the garbage back line of Campbell, Arreaga and Abdul Salaam..........and trying to compensate for that lack of skill with a 3-3-2-2 formation and Delem in the middle.

This was all of our worry at the beginning of the season, injuries and age would catch up to us, and it's happening. V-Rod is once again always dinged up, Torres looks 100 years old, Morris can't play a full 90 in the same week, Smith is hurt again.

For this club to compete down the stretch and in the playoffs we've gotta have a healthy full squad. Sure you can compensate for one missing starter, but not 3-4 per match relying on S2 players.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:15 pm
  • In other news... MN United
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:49 pm
  • The list of people who shouldn't be with this team next year continues to grow.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:23 pm
  • Was that a comedy festival or a soccer match?

Also, is there a Guinness record for futility in defense in organized team sports?
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:44 am
  • Playing against 10 men for 84 minutes and almost lose. The team is absolutely devoid of confidence.

We need to beat Portland, maybe it will spark something.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:01 pm
  • This is like a Bizarro Sounders year.

Usually we stink in the first half, scramble for our lives, rip off 12 wins in a row and roll into the playoffs ready to do some damage. This year it's the exact opposite.

Not sure what the hell's going on, but this club has way too much talent to be struggling this hard to put it together for the playoff push.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:14 pm
  • There's that much needed win against Portlandia.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:26 am
  • The defense was still quite shaky at times, but overall that was the best the team has looked in 2 months.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:33 am
  • Great win especially the performances of Svensson and Morris.

Rode our luck the last 20 minutes but Portland goal was lucky.

I hope with the new players in we dont see Delem start anymore.

Hopefully that win turns our season around.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:42 pm
  • That was fun
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:43 pm
  • In a 4-3 game, I feel as though pitchers should be credited with W/L/S
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:34 pm
  • Good win. Important win. Our defence is still shaky but our confidence has improved after Portland.

One thing that pissed me off. I had to listen to the first half on the radio. Matt Johnson is an appalling commentator. Constantly gets the players names wrong, is too busy talking to let you know how the play is developing. Guy likes the sound of his own voice and its very difficult to follow. Like a fan who won a contest.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:19 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Good win. Important win. Our defence is still shaky but our confidence has improved after Portland.

One thing that pissed me off. I had to listen to the first half on the radio. Matt Johnson is an appalling commentator. Constantly gets the players names wrong, is too busy talking to let you know how the play is developing. Guy likes the sound of his own voice and its very difficult to follow. Like a fan who won a contest.

Not just a good win, a GREAT win considering we're going to Colorado with just about every starter away on national duty.

I really wish the MLS could get a better handle on allowing players to leave on national duty. This doesn't happen in Europe. The club and league should hold more power over national team duty, especially when most of these matches are friendlies.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:06 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Good win. Important win. Our defence is still shaky but our confidence has improved after Portland.

Not just a good win, a GREAT win considering we're going to Colorado with just about every starter away on national duty.

I really wish the MLS could get a better handle on allowing players to leave on national duty. This doesn't happen in Europe. The club and league should hold more power over national team duty, especially when most of these matches are friendlies.

European clubs send their players on international duty. They have little say, in reality.

What they do, though, is suspend league play for international "breaks"

So, while Liverpool have sent 3 players back to Brazil for international matches, they don't have any games to play either.

MLS needs to do similar.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:20 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Good win. Important win. Our defence is still shaky but our confidence has improved after Portland.

European clubs send their players on international duty. They have little say, in reality.

So, while Liverpool have sent 3 players back to Brazil for international matches, they don't have any games to play either.

MLS needs to do similar.

I know there was a Gold Cup break in June, but other than that no international breaks.

I know Garber's talked about installing a WC qualifier break in future years, but other than that no discussion that I know of about permanent international breaks.......which I know is harder for MLS playing at a different time of the year.

IMO what needs to happen is clubs should be allowed to tell certain players no once they get over a certain number requests to leave. Probably wouldn't be popular with the players, but having 7-10 players gone during a playoff run also isn't fair.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:32 pm
  • This game was rescheduled from earlier in the season (think there was snow?) in Colorado. Otherwise there wouldn't be a game.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:32 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

MLS needs to do similar.

I know there was a Gold Cup break in June, but other than that no international breaks.

I know Garber's talked about installing a WC qualifier break in future years, but other than that no discussion that I know of about permanent international breaks.......which I know is harder for MLS playing at a different time of the year.

IMO what needs to happen is clubs should be allowed to tell certain players no once they get over a certain number requests to leave. Probably wouldn't be popular with the players, but having 7-10 players gone during a playoff run also isn't fair.

You shouldn't ask a,player to not play for his country.

MLS just needs to recognize that they have more players on international duty now and make adjustments
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:26 am
  • The Sounders notched another 3 points Sunday afternoon. They almost gave away the game with a few defensive lapses.

I met Harry Shipp at a networking event sponsored by Zulily/Sounders FC last week. Really cool guy. I've been a bit hard on him in the past. In talking with him, he's quite smart and he understands his role on the team. He contributes well from that standpoint.
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:16 am
  • I think if they win tomorrow they will likely be in the play offs (need to keep winning though to get that home game).

Pretty tough schedule to end the season though.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:21 am
  • Not the worst result for short midweek match.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:24 pm
  • Seattle absolutely stole 3 points last night. San Jose outplayed them all night long. This Sunday's season finale against Minnesota will be for 2nd place in the West.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:30 pm
  • Good win. Teams around us dropped points too. Arreaga's red card was nonsense.

I'm really concerned about our depth up front though for the play offs. We created a few chances yesterday but we lack some ruthlessness and there has been too many games when Ruidiaz has been out where we've been absolutely toothless. Ruidiaz is good but hasn't scored in a few, we have nothing other than him (can't always rely on Morris on the counter). I miss the days of Oba and Dempsey.

I think Torres coming back may solidify things at the back. We've rode our luck a little at the back. I imagine Torres is trying to redeem himself and will be focused.

I think a second quality striker (with Bruin as depth) and another CB are a must for next season (probably Torres replacement), i'm not sold on Arreaga yet or Kim.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:07 pm
  • Feel for Minnesota product Jackson Yueill. Was terrific yesterday but may miss playoffs. He's becoming some player for the Quakes and USMNT.

Loons in the playoffs. Massive turnaround and a fun team to watch. Great going forward, good control of ball. Still a bit dodgy in the back.

They'll be dangerous in playoffs. Especially at Allianz. Remarkable setting if you ever get the chance.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:00 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Feel for Minnesota product Jackson Yueill. Was terrific yesterday but may miss playoffs. He's becoming some player for the Quakes and USMNT.

Loons in the playoffs. Massive turnaround and a fun team to watch. Great going forward, good control of ball. Still a bit dodgy in the back.

They'll be dangerous in playoffs. Especially at Allianz. Remarkable setting if you ever get the chance.

Minnesota's a great story this year, kinda been lost on LAFC and Ibra whoring all the MLS attention all year with his crapping on the MLS musings.

Good to see Ozzie doing well too, love that guy to death.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:07 pm

Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:11 pm
  • Seattle wins, earns the #2 seed, and will face Dallas in the first round of the playoffs.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:33 pm
  • Was a decent match.

Little cagey. Both seemed cautious.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:14 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:Stop me if you've heard this before, but Victor Rodriguez may miss the season finale because of injury.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2019/10/ ... jury-front

V-Rod is the new Brittle Brad.

Obviously anything can happen in the MLS playoffs, but IMO NYFC and LAFC seem to be the favorites in each conference, they've both just been playing superior soccer to the rest of the field all year.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:49 pm
  • That was fun
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:40 pm
  • TransGenderHawkFan wrote:That was fun

Watching this game and the Oregon-Washington game at the same put my BP medicine to the test.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:32 pm
  • Was fun to watch.

Anyone see the Toronto game? DC tied it 3 minutes into injury time.

Toronto then scores 4 in extra time.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:37 pm
  • You guys better beat the LA Zlatans tomorrow, Si.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:43 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:You guys better beat the LA Zlatans tomorrow, Si.

I'll be in there full voice.
    Excited for it.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Previous

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information