Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seattle Sounders 2019 Season Thread

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Seattle Sounders 2019 Season Thread
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:08 pm
  • Last night was awesome. It very much felt like LAFC figured that because they beat the Galaxy/Zlatan they were a guarantee for the final. Overlooked the Sounders big time. The Sounders have been injury plagued all year barring a spell at the start of the season where they looked good. This was the healthiest they've been in a long time.

LA had never played the Sounders with Ruidiaz.

Hoping for a Toronto win but we have nothing to lose against Atlanta.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:17 pm
  • Congrats to the Sounders and their great fanbase! :2thumbs:

Would be awesome if the finals were here!

Seattle civic pride!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:11 pm
  • Heck Yeah! We get Toronto at home.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:41 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:35 pm
  • Awesome! A home playoff game for the championship! Go Sounders!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:01 am
  • Meeting Toronto FC for thr 3rd time in 4 years for the Championship; this time in Seattle. Hard to argue that these two team have not been the best the last few years.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:32 am
  • trans wrote:Meeting Toronto FC for thr 3rd time in 4 years for the Championship; this time in Seattle. Hard to argue that these two team have not been the best the last few years.

Much to the chagrin of the league that's been doing nothing but trying to anoint Atlanta and LAFC as kings of MLS for the past two seasons.

Which I get it, it's like us being tired of seeing the Patriots in the SB every year........but hey MLS, the rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:03 am
  • This is friggin awesome! Century Link is gonna be next level rockin!
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:39 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    trans wrote:Meeting Toronto FC for thr 3rd time in 4 years for the Championship; this time in Seattle. Hard to argue that these two team have not been the best the last few years.

Much to the chagrin of the league that's been doing nothing but trying to anoint Atlanta and LAFC as kings of MLS for the past two seasons.

Which I get it, it's like us being tired of seeing the Patriots in the SB every year........but hey MLS, the rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated.

It's funny, also, because, we already have rivalries with Portland, Vancouver, and, kind-of, San Jose. The sports writers also speak of a rivalry with the Galaxy. What will be said about our relationship with Toronto, now?
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:43 am
  • Threedee wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    trans wrote:Meeting Toronto FC for thr 3rd time in 4 years for the Championship; this time in Seattle. Hard to argue that these two team have not been the best the last few years.

It's funny, also, because, we already have rivalries with Portland, Vancouver, and, kind-of, San Jose. The sports writers also speak of a rivalry with the Galaxy. What will be said about our relationship with Toronto, now?

There's definitely a rivalry with TFC, 3 out of 4 years now we've played each other for the MLS Cup, and many of the same players on each club....it's going to be one intense finals.

Toronto is very much like us this year, kinda flew under the radar, good year but not great year, and used their superior experience and savvy to beat better clubs in the playoffs.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:17 am
  • Pretty fookin' exciting. Wonder how much ticket prices will be to this and if they'll open up the whole stadium for it?
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:39 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:53 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

Awesome.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:00 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

Nice! :2thumbs:
    Not real surprised though with the very loyal Sounders Fanbase.
    MLS has gotta he loving that.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:31 pm
  • Does the own goal mean we have still never scored on Toronto in the MLS Cup?

Well, Rodriguez took care of that musing.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:01 pm
  • And another GOAL!!!

Start celebrating Seattle you have another Champion! :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:05 pm

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:09 pm
  • Well deserved victory. It changed once Rodriguez came into the match. Nice job Sounders!!
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:14 pm
  • Champs!!!
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:16 pm
  • Terrific half. Great atmosphere.

Congrats Sounders fans
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:18 pm
  • Thought I'd do a drive by and say Congratulations, Sounders fans!

Watched the last few minutes of the game.

:irishdrinkers:

:0190l:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:24 pm
  • That was one of the few soccer games I have watched beginning to end(other than youth soccer). Nice job Sounders! They mentioned that today’s crowd set a century link stadium record for most attendees. That surprised me as I figured any of the NFC Championship games would have topped today. Way to represent Sounder fans.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:50 pm
  • The crowd was absolutely insane. 2x champs baby.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:05 pm
  • oldhawkfan wrote:That was one of the few soccer games I have watched beginning to end(other than youth soccer). Nice job Sounders! They mentioned that today’s crowd set a century link stadium record for most attendees. That surprised me as I figured any of the NFC Championship games would have topped today. Way to represent Sounder fans.

C-Link expanded in 2015 right after the Hawks/Packers NFCCG, adding another 1000 seats.
    Last edited by 253hawk on Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:05 pm

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:05 pm
  • oldhawkfan wrote:That was one of the few soccer games I have watched beginning to end(other than youth soccer). Nice job Sounders! They mentioned that today’s crowd set a century link stadium record for most attendees. That surprised me as I figured any of the NFC Championship games would have topped today. Way to represent Sounder fans.

It makes sense. Sounders have the biggest fan base in MLS.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:57 am
  • Couldn't be more proud of our club, our city, our players and especially our coach.

This isn't how it's suppose to go for a guy like Brian Schmetzer who has given his life to the Sounders, getting passed over as just another homer assistant, and even with his own beloved club only got the job on an interim basis because Schmid was fired halfway through the season.

Watching Brian get choked up in his post game presser gave me goosebumps, and solidifies his place as the greatest soccer coach in Seattle history........and if he's not getting serious looks from the US Soccer Federation as their next head coach to fix the complete and utter dumpster fire they've created, then they don't ever deserve to get back to a World Cup. Experience, energy, grit, underdog story, and tactically, he deserves serious consideration.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:35 pm
  • Not a soccer fan but I enjoy their success.

Sounders and their coach are a great story.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:18 pm
  • Seattle has left the following players unprotected for the expansion draft this coming Tuesday for Nashville and Miami.

Saad Abdul-Salaam, Will Bruin, Jonathan Campbell, Emanuel Cecchini, Justin Dhillon, Chad Marshall, Bryan Meredith, Victor Rodriguez, Alex Roldan, Harry Shipp, Luis Silva, Roman Torres.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:44 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Seattle has left the following players unprotected for the expansion draft this coming Tuesday for Nashville and Miami.

Saad Abdul-Salaam, Will Bruin, Jonathan Campbell, Emanuel Cecchini, Justin Dhillon, Chad Marshall, Bryan Meredith, Victor Rodriguez, Alex Roldan, Harry Shipp, Luis Silva, Roman Torres.

each new team taking 1 from each team?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:13 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Seattle has left the following players unprotected for the expansion draft this coming Tuesday for Nashville and Miami.

Each team can draft a total of five players but only one from any given team can be drafted. So if Miami takes a Seattle player, Nashville cannot then take a second player from the Sounders.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:14 pm
  • Victor Rodriguez is left unprotected. After that performance in the MLS cup match, he's certain to be gone. If by any miracle he isn't picked by either of the teams, It would be a serious boon to the Sounders. I have a feeling he will be chosen by Miami.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:02 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Seattle has left the following players unprotected for the expansion draft this coming Tuesday for Nashville and Miami.

Each team can draft a total of five players but only one from any given team can be drafted. So if Miami takes a Seattle player, Nashville cannot then take a second player from the Sounders.

Just 5?

Seems low.. makes it extra tough on the scouts
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:31 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Victor Rodriguez is left unprotected. After that performance in the MLS cup match, he's certain to be gone. If by any miracle he isn't picked by either of the teams, It would be a serious boon to the Sounders. I have a feeling he will be chosen by Miami.

He also makes 1M and misses months at a time with injuries. Certainly the quality is there, but for an expansion team 1M worth of cap space is a lot to use up depending on a player that hasn't shown he can be dependable.

IMO Roldan and Shipp are the two players I can see being drafted. Expansion clubs usually go after two things when building a team, experience and friendly salaries.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:38 pm
  • Reading these posts made me realize that I don't know a thing about salaries in US soccer. Looked it up and found there is a cap of 4 mil. BUT, you can have three designated players that don't affect the cap.

I like this and have advocated for a similar system in the NFL where the QB does not count against the cap.Three players sounds even better.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:09 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:Reading these posts made me realize that I don't know a thing about salaries in US soccer. Looked it up and found there is a cap of 4 mil. BUT, you can have three designated players that don't affect the cap.

I like this and have advocated for a similar system in the NFL where the QB does not count against the cap.Three players sounds even better.

It's a little more complicated than this, what with allocation money available, different rules for younger designated players and option years, etc.

But yes, it's been a very good rule for helping MLS grow by allowing very good players clubs would never be able to afford to fit within the small team salary cap budgets, especially compared to where these players would go if we couldn't pay them, Mexico, South America or Europe.

I do think the NFL could use a similar model, although I doubt the majority of the owners would go along with it.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:09 pm
  • Yikes, looking at the roster right now is scary, especially the defence- there's one CB on the roster. I imagine they'll try to bring some players back cheaper but there could be a lot of new names next year.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:48 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Yikes, looking at the roster right now is scary, especially the defence- there's one CB on the roster. I imagine they'll try to bring some players back cheaper but there could be a lot of new names next year.

With both Torres and Rodriguez's options declined, that's 1.7M of cap to go find a DP level CB to play with Arreaga and Kee-Hee.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:45 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Yikes, looking at the roster right now is scary, especially the defence- there's one CB on the roster. I imagine they'll try to bring some players back cheaper but there could be a lot of new names next year.

With both Torres and Rodriguez's options declined, that's 1.7M of cap to go find a DP level CB to play with Arreaga and Kee-Hee.

Doesnt seem a position worth wasting a DP spot on.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:56 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Yikes, looking at the roster right now is scary, especially the defence- there's one CB on the roster. I imagine they'll try to bring some players back cheaper but there could be a lot of new names next year.

Doesnt seem a position worth wasting a DP spot on.

I believe Arreaga is already taking up a DP slot, so I definitely agree two CB slots shouldn't be wasted on a DP.

I'd love another Chad Marshall type, so maybe that's the way to go. Find one of the more dependable mid salary ranged CB's in MLS.

Either way, Glasgow's right, very thin at the CB position, and quality is needed.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:52 am

Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:20 am
  • While good when he played, he was made of glass and couldn't last 90 minutes. Think we can get better value.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:30 am
  • Hell of a signing if the Sounders can pull this off, I know we've been after Paulo the entire off season..............especially if they can figure out how to not count him as a DP with the loan contract.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2020/1/1 ... afogo-loan

Defensive mid that knows how to get into the attacking 3rd? Yes please.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:02 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Hell of a signing if the Sounders can pull this off, I know we've been after Paulo the entire off season..............especially if they can figure out how to not count him as a DP with the loan contract.

These are the types of players, and deals, the MLS needs more of.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:46 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Hell of a signing if the Sounders can pull this off, I know we've been after Paulo the entire off season..............especially if they can figure out how to not count him as a DP with the loan contract.

These are the types of players, and deals, the MLS needs more of.

Agreed.

I think I read that something like 90% of MLS DP money is being spent on attacking mids, wingers and forwards. Very little on trying to get players like Paulo into the MLS to try to take the next step into developing and creating a better soccer product other than bunker ball clubs that have to just play the counter ball game because they don't have the skill on the pitch to play any other way.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:40 pm
  • He would be a nice addition and all, but we still only have one true CB on the roster right now.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:46 pm

Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:58 pm

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:42 pm
  • So him and Arreaga. We probably need another since it doesn't look like Kim is coming back.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:55 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:So him and Arreaga. We probably need another since it doesn't look like Kim is coming back.

They've already signed veteran Shane O'Neil, who played for Orlando last year. My guess is he's your 3rd CB.

https://www.newsbreak.com/washington/se ... ane-oneill
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:49 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information