Seattle Sounders 2019 Season Thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Seattle Sounders 2019 Season Thread
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:25 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Its frustrating in the sense that there isn't even some journeyman to fill in. No Neagle type or Chad Barrett.

I used to think Morris could be a forward but the last few games have shown he's far better out wide.

I'm a bit worried Ruidiaz injury is worse than they are letting on. There was tweets with him in a boot.

Yeah the vague reports about Ruidiaz is cause for concern, Schmetzer said he was close last week to play in the LAFC match, then we heard absolutely nothing after the boot Twitter pic.

btw, Bruin is suppose to be our Chad Barrett type, but he's been dinged up too.

Big picture, this is still a phenomenal start. It's a long season so I'm not worried about a little slump after that start...........unless Ruidiaz's injury turns serious. THEN I'm worried.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:32 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Its frustrating in the sense that there isn't even some journeyman to fill in. No Neagle type or Chad Barrett.

I used to think Morris could be a forward but the last few games have shown he's far better out wide.

I'm a bit worried Ruidiaz injury is worse than they are letting on. There was tweets with him in a boot.

Yeah the vague reports about Ruidiaz is cause for concern, Schmetzer said he was close last week to play in the LAFC match, then we heard absolutely nothing after the boot Twitter pic.

btw, Bruin is suppose to be our Chad Barrett type, but he's been dinged up too.

Big picture, this is still a phenomenal start. It's a long season so I'm not worried about a little slump after that start...........unless Ruidiaz's injury turns serious. THEN I'm worried.

I agree. I'm probably more disappointed we didn't win last night, especially with it being a home game. Also because we have to play LA again and i'm still sore from last weekend.

I loved it when we had Dempsey/Martins with Barrett as back up and won the supporters shield. Would love another quality forward, we'd probably romp the league with the amount of chances Lodeiro, Morris and Rodriguez would create. Even if our defense was iffy we could outscore most of the time.

I'm not greedy, it wouldn't have to be a DP. At this point i'd be doing all I could to get rid of Torres and free up his salary and promote the defenders signed in the offseason. Use that money for a TAM signing. I feel like other MLS teams would take Torres, some of the defences in the league are awful.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:45 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    I'm not greedy, it wouldn't have to be a DP. At this point i'd be doing all I could to get rid of Torres and free up his salary and promote the defenders signed in the offseason. Use that money for a TAM signing. I feel like other MLS teams would take Torres, some of the defences in the league are awful.

Kinda what Lagerwey said back in February.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2019/2/2 ... nings-2019

I'm sure we'll add a player or two this year, but unlikely to sign a bigtime DP. Morris coming back is like getting a 3rd DP, and I think Schmetzer and Lagerwey would like to see how this season unfolds as far as pressing needs going into the playoffs and next year before scouting a 3rd DP.

Which IMO is smart. We have a talented roster, no need to rush out and sign a DP when other than Ruidiaz and Lodeiro, we really don't know where that need might be going forward.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:08 am
  • Jeez, the injuries are starting to pile up. Ruidiaz is still in a boot, Bruin is improving but not 100%, Victor Rodriguez is in the concussion protocol, and Gustav Svensson has been ruled out of tomorrow's match.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:06 pm
  • The 'hands to the face, instant red' rule is getting a little silly. The fact that we have a rule where the referee has zero discretion to decide if the action is worthy of a straight red says a lot about how the legislative bodies view their employees.

The product on the field should be the #1 priority. Throwing a player out of the game for accidently grazing an opponents face after being pushed is bad for the game.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:32 pm
  • That was worthy of a red card.

He swung his arm, regardless if he meant to strike the face. Make contact to the face in a reckless manner is a red. Ref does have the authority to rule the action was inadvertent. That wasnt an inadvertent action, even if the landing spot may have been.

Could argue that a red card should've been given to the LAFC player as well.

What id like to see is situations like that allow for both teams to replace the 2 ejected players.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:06 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:That was worthy of a red card.

He swung his arm, regardless if he meant to strike the face. Make contact to the face in a reckless manner is a red. Ref does have the authority to rule the action was inadvertent. That wasnt an inadvertent action, even if the landing spot may have been.

Could argue that a red card should've been given to the LAFC player as well.

What id like to see is situations like that allow for both teams to replace the 2 ejected players.

If that's worthy of a red card; I am embarrassed for the sport. He didn't do it on purpose and he barely touched the guy. His hand is only above the shoulder because he's off balance after being shoved.

I'd rather they just let them play on and stop trying to legislate every form of perceived violence out of the game.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:54 pm
  • He swung his hand and hit his face. Whether he meant to hit his face is immaterial. He meant to swing his hand.

How many studs up challenges that lead to reds actually break a leg?

You sit around waiting to punish injury causing actions you are also causing injuries.

The rule has been around for a long time. Not sure where you think things are being legislated out of the game. The thuggery of the 70s and 80s is whats been removed.

It was harsh and unfortunate on Seattle. Shouldve been two reds.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:43 pm
  • Get the vibe that the league want LAFC to be the next Atlanta. Media have been talking them up big time, pretty much anointing them champions when just the week before they dropped points against vancouver. Their offense is great but their defence is suspect. Would love to have seen ruidiaz and a full team vs them.

Let's see where they are in August when they will have their own injury issues at some point.

As for the sounders, a great point gained. 2 cm's out, no forwards, no marshall, 2 red cards. They rode their luck at times but also had a couple of chances to win. I hope roldan can get that overturned given there was no malicious intent. I red somewhere it has to be hands to the face and with intent. That was clearly accidental, was embarrassing seeing the LA players overreaction.

Hope to God the injured players get back asap. Was worried morris was the next casualty. Ran himself into the ground. Felt Torres stepped up in the game after a shaky first 10 minutes.

At least there is no midweek games.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:39 am
  • On the red... intent does not have to refer to location. If a player swings his arm at a player and hits him in the face, its a red. Even if he didnt mean to hit him in the face.

I thought Roldan swung his arm at the LA player after he got grabbed.

I do wonder if the ref used VAR. Would've made sense to
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:15 am
  • The intent would have been for the guy he was staring at. No way he saw the other player running in.

The ref didn't use VAR for that decision.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:41 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:The intent would have been for the guy he was staring at. No way he saw the other player running in.

The ref didn't use VAR for that decision.

Intent is he meant to swing his arm at someone. All that matters. He felt someone grab him then threw his arm at him. Thats what i saw atleast.

Wonder why Ref didnt use VAR. He used it correctly on the last foul of the game. He clearly missed the LA players intrusions, which should've earned a red as well.

Sounders recovered well. I wonder what Brad Smiths future is
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:22 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Sounders recovered well. I wonder what Brad Smiths future is

That is up to Bournmouth at this point. Seattle wants to keep him, and his agent was in Seattle this weekend presumably meeting with the FO, but Bournemouth still own the final year of his contract and the loan is still scheduled to expire this Summer. Hopefully Seattle can convince them to sell.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:20 pm
  • I was back home in the UK and the Sounders Toronto game was live there. The English commentator gave the impression that Smith would stay at Seattle longer and that the Seattle loan basically stopped him from plummeting down the lower leagues of English football.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:29 pm
  • Watching him yesterday id say hed make a solid rotational lb at the premier level... if not incumbent starter on championship teams who play with wing backs.

Certainly one of the few backs in the MLS i see attacking the opponents goal with runs and crosses.

Looks like hes regained form

(Saying that... ive watched a number of MLS games early this season and while the atracking play has been surprisingly creative and energetic, the defending and goal kerping has been so poor)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:57 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Get the vibe that the league want LAFC to be the next Atlanta. Media have been talking them up big time, pretty much anointing them champions when just the week before they dropped points against vancouver. Their offense is great but their defence is suspect. Would love to have seen ruidiaz and a full team vs them.

To be fair, much like Atlanta, LAFC spent a boatload of money on talented players. The Sounders could have been just as talented; they have the roster maneuverability and money to add another DP. If the Sounders added Vela in the off season and moved VRod to the bench, the media would gush about how great the Sounders are. That is the talent gap between the two teams at the moment.

We'll see what Garth and the gang do in the summer window; although, I'm not holding my breath on them making any significant moves. They seem more concerned with investing in youth development and keeping profits high than building a loaded team.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:08 pm
  • knownone wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Get the vibe that the league want LAFC to be the next Atlanta. Media have been talking them up big time, pretty much anointing them champions when just the week before they dropped points against vancouver. Their offense is great but their defence is suspect. Would love to have seen ruidiaz and a full team vs them.

To be fair, much like Atlanta, LAFC spent a boatload of money on talented players. The Sounders could have been just as talented; they have the roster maneuverability and money to add another DP. If the Sounders added Vela in the off season and moved VRod to the bench, the media would gush about how great the Sounders are. That is the talent gap between the two teams at the moment.

We'll see what Garth and the gang do in the summer window; although, I'm not holding my breath on them making any significant moves. They seem more concerned with investing in youth development and keeping profits high than building a loaded team.

Rodriguez has been stellar so far this season. He needs to be on the pitch even if the Sounders had acquired Vela. There are others who deserve to sit more than VRod does. Unfortunately most of the them are defensive side of the team. The defense has been poor all season. Need major work to improve that.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:55 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    knownone wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Get the vibe that the league want LAFC to be the next Atlanta. Media have been talking them up big time, pretty much anointing them champions when just the week before they dropped points against vancouver. Their offense is great but their defence is suspect. Would love to have seen ruidiaz and a full team vs them.

Rodriguez has been stellar so far this season. He needs to be on the pitch even if the Sounders had acquired Vela. There are others who deserve to sit more than VRod does. Unfortunately most of the them are defensive side of the team. The defense has been poor all season. Need major work to improve that.

I agree with you in terms of quality; however, Rodriguez is injury prone and best suited as a sub. He's played in 40 games in right around 2 years. Lodeiro's played in 60 during that same stretch. Lodeiro played more minutes last year than VRod's played in the entirety of his Sounders career.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:06 am
  • knownone wrote:

I'm not one for fan conspiracy theories, but it'd be hard to blame the league for wanting LAFC to succeed. After the Chivas debacle, they need LAFC to do well in the LA market.

Also why they somehow allow the Galaxy to continue to have like 5-6 DP's every year with their creative cap accounting practices.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:25 am
  • knownone wrote:

In fairness to the Sounders they have made the play offs every single season. Under Garth they seem to favor summer signings and getting hot at the business end of the season. I'd like to see how we look come summer time and then decide where to spend money on resources. Youth development is important, if we nail it we save and make a ton of money.

LAFC spent a lot last year and got put out in the first round. The first few seasons of MLS are almost pointless so it's hard to judge. I'm impressed with them so far though, I think they have a great stadium and atmosphere and look ambitious, a worthy rival to the Galaxy. I just don't like the media crowning them this early.

I just wish MLS would get their finger out and fix franchises in some major markets before major expansion. NYCFC need their stadium issue fixed, Chicago needs the Sporting KC make over and moved to a stadium closer to town, New England needs to move to frikkin Boston and get an owner who gives a damn, its embarrassing seeing that empty stadium. Houston and Dallas needs looked at. Both stadiums are empty and nowhere near the actual cities despite the teams being relatively good. Philadelphia? The Crew may have been saved now fix/move their crappy stadium and promote them more. Fix those big markets and you'll be a hell of a lot more profitable and in turn be able to raise the cap. Adding teams feels like a house of cards/ponzi scheme and doesn't address the flawed teams.

MLS has also chosen wisely with some recent teams. Atlanta has been great, Minnesota's new stadium looks good and full, Timbers and Sounders have been great additions, LAFC, Orlando started well in its first season, KC's makover has been a huge success, Cincinnati has started well, RSL has been solid, Toronto seems to had figured it out after a rough few initial years.

I think St Louis will do well now the Rams are gone when they get a team.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2019 11:52 am
  • Roldan wins his appeal
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2019 12:44 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Roldan wins his appeal

Other good news is Ruidiaz is out of his boot and Schmetzer said should be very close to returning. They still didn't say exactly what was wrong with his heel, so not sure how to feel about all the cloak and dagger secrecy.

Makes me uneasy!
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 01, 2019 1:04 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Roldan wins his appeal

Other good news is Ruidiaz is out of his boot and Schmetzer said should be very close to returning. They still didn't say exactly what was wrong with his heel, so not sure how to feel about all the cloak and dagger secrecy.

Makes me uneasy!

Everyone but Svensson will be back it sounds like.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2019 4:51 pm

Fri May 03, 2019 10:27 am
  • Minnesota traded away their captain today. Wonder if that means Ozzy is captain
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri May 03, 2019 2:58 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Minnesota traded away their captain today. Wonder if that means Ozzy is captain

Ill be there tomorrow to find out
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat May 04, 2019 4:47 pm
  • Victor Rodriguez and Chad Marshall are back in the starting lineup for Seattle. Ruidiaz and Bruin are both available off the bench.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun May 05, 2019 12:58 am
  • Alonso was captain.

Stadium is amazing. Very intimate setting.

Sounders did well keeping an energetic home team in frint of them, methodically approaching their attack for the most part.

In reality, unfortunate not to win going away
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon May 06, 2019 9:57 am
  • 2 points dropped. Stings to hit the post twice. Hopefully Ruidiaz and/or Bruin start the next game. Thought the stand in RB played well.

I'm a bit worried about Kim's form recently, had a few lapses rough tackles that have led to cards or set pieces that the other team has at times taken advantage from.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2019 9:26 am

Tue May 07, 2019 11:45 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Arreaga rumors heating up again.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders ... er-arreaga

Definitely need to get younger and more dynamic at the CB position. It's by far the weak link on the club right now, too old and inconsistent.

Makes sense. Marshall is getting older and a bit more hurt, as I said above i'm worried about Kim's form. None of our CB's are the quickest. I wonder why they signed Jonathan Campbell though and what's going on with Torres.

Would still like another forward in the squad unless these teenagers are the real deal and can get some game time.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Sounders sign Joevin Jones! Either we couldn't extend Brad Smith or goodbye Nouhou?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2019 12:48 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Sounders sign Joevin Jones! Either we couldn't extend Brad Smith or goodbye Nouhou?

I think it means Lagerwey couldn't agree with Bournemouth on who's paying what part of Smith's salary should his loan continue past the end of June. They've been negotiating for a while.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2019/4/2 ... -extension

Jones and Smith are left backs, so not sure why this would mean anything else, neither has played right back that I know of. I wish either could, as Nouhou is pretty stinky, would love to replace him with a better RB.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 07, 2019 1:06 pm
  • So doing some quick research, Jones has played RB.........so I take what I said back, doesn't necessarily mean Smith is gone.

That'd be amazing news. I also sneakily like that Jones is kinda crawling back to Seattle with his tail between his legs, after making such a big stink about wanting to go overseas last summer, and being a pain in the ass.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 07, 2019 5:27 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Arreaga rumors heating up again.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders ... er-arreaga

Definitely need to get younger and more dynamic at the CB position. It's by far the weak link on the club right now, too old and inconsistent.

If this is to be believed, it's a done deal.

Translation: Ended meeting, Arreaga signed a 3-year contract with the Seattle team. The player will travel in the next hours to the USA, not play the classic.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue May 07, 2019 7:06 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:So doing some quick research, Jones has played RB.........so I take what I said back, doesn't necessarily mean Smith is gone.

That'd be amazing news. I also sneakily like that Jones is kinda crawling back to Seattle with his tail between his legs, after making such a big stink about wanting to go overseas last summer, and being a pain in the ass.

Could also see jones play mid left.

Apparently his mrs is pregnant and lives in Trinidad, so he wanted to be closer.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2019 7:42 am

Wed May 08, 2019 2:46 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:So doing some quick research, Jones has played RB.........so I take what I said back, doesn't necessarily mean Smith is gone.

Didn't Jones want to go overseas because MLS wouldn't allow the Sounders to give him a TAM contract?
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2019 4:56 pm
  • knownone wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:So doing some quick research, Jones has played RB.........so I take what I said back, doesn't necessarily mean Smith is gone.

Didn't Jones want to go overseas because MLS wouldn't allow the Sounders to give him a TAM contract?

Pretty much. MLS vetoed the TAM offer Seattle wanted to make, so Seattle had to make a lower offer without TAM. Jones rejected the lower offer and left for Germany on a free transfer. The good part of that is because he left on a free, Seattle retained his MLS rights.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed May 08, 2019 5:04 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    knownone wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:So doing some quick research, Jones has played RB.........so I take what I said back, doesn't necessarily mean Smith is gone.

Pretty much. MLS vetoed the TAM offer Seattle wanted to make, so Seattle had to make a lower offer without TAM. Jones rejected the lower offer and left for Germany on a free transfer. The good part of that is because he left on a free, Seattle retained his MLS rights.

While it's true, IMO it had more to do with Jones being pissed off that he had to wait until January to leave, and so he tried to force Seattle's hand by going off to play in a friendly for T&T without permission in hopes MLS and the Sounders would just release him then and there.

Not unprecedented, but to leave for a friendly when your club's fighting for the playoffs is pretty crappy. Here's the Times article talking about what happened.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sou ... ualifiers/

Glad he's back, but no he didn't handle himself well last summer and fall.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 08, 2019 6:47 pm
  • Hopefully they don't count on Jones as a back because he was awful in the role. He did better as a mid.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2019 8:02 pm
  • Victor Rodriguez is injured again. I really hope we don't have to wait until after the Gold Cup for Joevin to be available.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon May 13, 2019 11:37 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:Victor Rodriguez is injured again. I really hope we don't have to wait until after the Gold Cup for Joevin to be available.

Death
    Taxes
    V-Rod's injured

He's not Brad Evans injury prone, but he's close.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun May 19, 2019 10:40 am
  • About the best possible outcome with that lineup.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun May 19, 2019 11:09 am
  • Bournemouth bought Lloyd Kelly do won't bring back Smith. Keeping him in Seattle will be up to the Sounders now
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon May 20, 2019 3:21 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:About the best possible outcome with that lineup.

Yup, tough game travelling across the country having had a game mid week. Philly are also doing well in the east. I'll take it. LAFC tied too.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 am
  • Chad Marshall retires. Damn, knew he was battling injuries but still a shock
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 23, 2019 9:47 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Chad Marshall retires. Damn, knew he was battling injuries but still a shock

Well that explains the Arreaga signing.

I love Marshall, we're going to miss more than just his play. He's the type of player you want on your staff or some club capacity.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun May 26, 2019 4:43 pm
  • Please keep Jordy Delem on the bench. Or trade him to Sporting KC since he enjoys passing to their players more than his own team. No red card ejections but it sure seems the Sounders are a man down with Delem in the lineup.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon May 27, 2019 8:20 am
  • The entire team played like crap in the first half, and losing Kim to injury didn't help. Hopefully Svensson and Rodriguez are back from their injuries soon. The Curse of MLS is real and Seattle is getting hit with it again. Six of our opening day Starting XI have missed/are missing time with injuries, with Marshall actually retiring because of one. The salary structure MLS has concocted just isn't conducive to building a strong bench so that many injuries really strains the team's depth and affects team chemistry and performance.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:21 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information