March Madness game thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: March Madness game thread
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:41 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:Looking forward to tip-off for the Florida/Nevada game shortly

Yeah, should be competitive.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:18 pm
  • Nevada is going to need to clean it up a little. Playing a little sloppy. Hopefully they settle down soon.
    kidhawk
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:33 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:Nevada is going to need to clean it up a little. Playing a little sloppy. Hopefully they settle down soon.

They remind me a lot of the successful Romar teams. Really talented, but come across as poorly coached. Just a lot of isolation ball and sloppy at times. Seems like they rely too much on individual talent, rather than playing together as a team. I think whoever wins this game can beat Michigan.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:34 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:Nevada is going to need to clean it up a little. Playing a little sloppy. Hopefully they settle down soon.

Man both teams look pretty meh but Nevada just feels like they’re better. Florida has zero offensive flow or rhythm, Nevada just keeps shooting themselves in the foot. Have a feeling once they settle down at half time they should have a good second half.

Also Murray state was quite fun to watch. First triple double from a guard since Dwayne Wade I believe.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:41 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Whoever is the Marquette fan, sorry. Your team is getting ran by Ja Morant.

Yep, that blew.

There is a high likelihood there is only one game left I will end up watching any of, and is Gonzaga if they make it to the finals.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:45 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:Nevada is going to need to clean it up a little. Playing a little sloppy. Hopefully they settle down soon.

They remind me a lot of the successful Romar teams. Really talented, but come across as poorly coached. Just a lot of isolation ball and sloppy at times. Seems like they rely too much on individual talent, rather than playing together as a team. I think whoever wins this game can beat Michigan.

Exactly
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:20 pm
  • I figured the Zags would blow them out but I thought FDU might hang around for a half. Few got his players focused after that loss to Saint Marys.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:56 pm
  • Nevada making a comeback. This is who they are. Did it last year in the dance.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:16 pm
  • GU will win big. Only concern I have is that Norvell is having his second straight really poor game. That needs to change. Also Tillie is really good and will make a difference for GU>
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:51 pm
  • Norvell is either hot or cold. He has piss poor shot selection. He will make or break this season.
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:12 pm
  • Anyone watching Fletcher Magee? That guy is incredible. Fun to watch. So quick getting that shot off and just pure.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:03 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:Anyone watching Fletcher Magee? That guy is incredible. Fun to watch. So quick getting that shot off and just pure.

Kid can shoot, he broke the all time record in college basketball for threes made.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:47 am
  • Ant Eaters showing some fight. I don't see this team being overwhelmed by KSU. Really hoping for an upset here. Haven't had that big upset yet.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:35 pm
  • UVA down early. That can't be good for confidence. Lots of early turnovers too.
    Ant eaters hanging tight!
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:03 pm
  • UVA down 36-30 at halftime. If they lose again, they should never earn a 1 seed again.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:09 pm
  • Ant eaters pull the first big upset!
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:15 pm
  • Finally I get an upset right. Had UC Irvine moving on, also have Oregon meeting them. Probably should have been right on Belmont and possibly New Mexico St. I was way off on Northeastern. Feels like this year the underdogs have had opportunities but haven't been able to pull it out.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:19 pm
  • I picked UC Irvine as well. KSU Dean Wade out and the ant eaters under seeded. I also have Oregon going to the elite eight.
    I think Virginia comes back but if they lose again that is going to be a major embarrassment. I really like Tony Bennet too so it takes away from the thrill of the big upset.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:32 pm
  • You watch a lot of college hoops Nate, you are like me. I can tell :lol:
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:23 pm
  • College basketball is my favorite sport to follow and march madness is the best sporting event there is.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:53 pm
  • ASU getting boat raced by a solid Buffalo team. Buffalo will give Texas Tech a tough game.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:31 pm
  • Ducks D is just shutting down Wisconsin.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:33 pm
  • Just as I say that Wooten starts sending Wisconsin shots everywhere haha!
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:42 pm
  • Ducks. I'm impressed.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:44 pm
  • I am a diehard Huskies fan but I was absolutely rooting for the Ducks this game. Good game guys.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:14 pm
  • Dickerson playing better today. Positive sign for Huskies.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:28 pm
  • Duke looked a little off the first half, but Zion is putting on a clinic to start the 2nd half. He's such an exciting player to watch when he gets going.
    kidhawk
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:45 pm
  • Huskies turning it over a lot with USU pressuring. Dickerson playing much better than he has in a while. Making a huge difference in this game.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:48 am
  • Natethegreat wrote:Just as I say that Wooten starts sending Wisconsin shots everywhere haha!

Would have been really fun to see Wooten and Bol Bol playing beside each other all season.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:06 am
  • Pac 3-1 so far, ESPN commentators saying no one expected that. No they didn't expect it, not because the Pac wasn't capable of it but because how they just generally like to bash the Pac. This wasn't one of the Pac's great years but they weren't nearly as bad as they were made out to be.

Oregon has a good bracket and has hit their stride. I have them in the Sweet 16 but they might be able to go farther too. UW had a good showing last night with Dickerson back in the fold but they are up against it with Carolina. But, it is the Big Dance and anything is possible, there isn't one single team out there that is unbeatable.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:Pac 3-1 so far, ESPN commentators saying no one expected that. No they didn't expect it, not because the Pac wasn't capable of it but because how they just generally like to bash the Pac. This wasn't one of the Pac's great years but they weren't nearly as bad as they were made out to be.

Oregon has a good bracket and has hit their stride. I have them in the Sweet 16 but they might be able to go farther too. UW had a good showing last night with Dickerson back in the fold but they are up against it with Carolina. But, it is the Big Dance and anything is possible, there isn't one single team out there that is unbeatable.

It's hard to measure the conference. The Pac-12 was really bad, there is no doubt about that. The numbers show it. It was one of the worst out of conference performances from a P5 conference in like 20 years. I know ASU technically won, but that was a game just to get in the field. The issue with the Pac-12 is the middle and bottom of the conference are awful. Wazzu and Cal are basically mid majors. LA teams had awful seasons. Mountain teams were okay but nothing special. Pac-12 will bounce back next season with some big recruits coming in and we could get as many as four new coaches.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:54 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:Pac 3-1 so far, ESPN commentators saying no one expected that. No they didn't expect it, not because the Pac wasn't capable of it but because how they just generally like to bash the Pac. This wasn't one of the Pac's great years but they weren't nearly as bad as they were made out to be.

It's hard to measure the conference. The Pac-12 was really bad, there is no doubt about that. The numbers show it. It was one of the worst out of conference performances from a P5 conference in like 20 years. I know ASU technically won, but that was a game just to get in the field. The issue with the Pac-12 is the middle and bottom of the conference are awful. Wazzu and Cal are basically mid majors. LA teams had awful seasons. Mountain teams were okay but nothing special. Pac-12 will bounce back next season with some big recruits coming in and we could get as many as four new coaches.

No offense but I disagree, the Pac-12 has had really dominant teams in the past, e.g., UCLA, Arizona, and to a lesser extent Oregon making it to the Final 4 a couple of years ago. But, this is what it has come down to, if you don't have teams at the top you are really bad when in fact you are just really mediocre.

If you aren't really good you must be really bad.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:02 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:Pac 3-1 so far, ESPN commentators saying no one expected that. No they didn't expect it, not because the Pac wasn't capable of it but because how they just generally like to bash the Pac. This wasn't one of the Pac's great years but they weren't nearly as bad as they were made out to be.

No offense but I disagree, the Pac-12 has had really dominant teams in the past, e.g., UCLA, Arizona, and to a lesser extent Oregon making it to the Final 4 a couple of years ago. But, this is what it has come down to, if you don't have teams at the top you are really bad when in fact you are just really mediocre.

I was just talking about this season. But the past ten years or so, have been really down. Other than Oregon's final four run two years ago, we hadn't had a team in the final four since UCLA's team in 2007. Just think about that. We are a power five conference, we've made two final fours since 2007, and we basically went 10 years without an appearance in the final four.

I think we see a shake up soon, and new coaches will help. Right now, we just don't have the right coaches in place, particularly the LA teams.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:21 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:

I was just talking about this season. But the past ten years or so, have been really down. Other than Oregon's final four run two years ago, we hadn't had a team in the final four since UCLA's team in 2007. Just think about that. We are a power five conference, we've made two final fours since 2007, and we basically went 10 years without an appearance in the final four.

I think we see a shake up soon, and new coaches will help. Right now, we just don't have the right coaches in place, particularly the LA teams.

Point taken, and the aforementioned Arizona's and UCLA's fall from from prominence is curious.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:44 pm
  • Disappointed in Fletcher Magee. He was awful, and had he made a few of those threes he took they would have won that game.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:51 pm
  • Yeah Magee just didn’t have it. He makes a few of those and Wofford probably wins. Unless Kentucky gets back PJ Washington, I don’t see them going too far.

FSU running Murray State right now. That team is so overlooked. They are probably a top 10 team, issue is they will likely be playing one of the best teams in the next round. I still think Zags beat them, but won’t be easy.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:08 pm
  • FSU a tough match up for anyone. You have to have tough D to beat them.
    They can have scoring droughts that cost them. If they don't you are in trouble.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:07 pm
  • This year has been kind of weak in terms of upsets and close games. Have we even had a buzzer beater yet? A lot of the games have been blowouts. Still a lot of time left for the games to get better.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:23 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:This year has been kind of weak in terms of upsets and close games. Have we even had a buzzer beater yet? A lot of the games have been blowouts. Still a lot of time left for the games to get better.

Auburn and NMSU?
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:30 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:This year has been kind of weak in terms of upsets and close games. Have we even had a buzzer beater yet? A lot of the games have been blowouts. Still a lot of time left for the games to get better.

Auburn and NMSU?

Wasnt a buzzer beater... just a whole lot of action at the buzzer.

LSU won today at the buzzer
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:49 pm
  • Forgot about the LSU game today, yeah that is basically a buzzer beater. Just seems less climactic this year. There are years where there are a ton of upsets, and years with not as much. That may show just how good some of these 1-3 seeds are. All the afternoon and evening games today were blowouts.

UC Irvine and Liberty are really the only big upsets so far. No big upsets today, maybe UW crashes the tourney with a win tomorrow. I sure would like that a lot.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:20 pm
  • Bill Self is about to break every wall in their locker room. I don't think I've ever seen a worse defensive group from Kansas. These freshmen are getting run out of the gym. Credit Auburn, absolutely lights out, but these are some insanely uncontested shots in fast break due to lack of effort.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:35 am
  • Another blowout.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:27 am
  • Vols can’t close out games, was an issue two days ago against Colgate.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:50 pm
  • Call me crazy, but I haven't been able to shake the feeling that Duke will miss the final four. We'll see!
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:56 pm
  • Ruminator wrote:Call me crazy, but I haven't been able to shake the feeling that Duke will miss the final four. We'll see!

You're crazy.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:46 pm
  • Ruminator wrote:Call me crazy, but I haven't been able to shake the feeling that Duke will miss the final four. We'll see!

They're a better all around team than they get credit for, given the attention on Zion
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 pm

It could happen, it’s called March Madness for a reason. People talk about Duke as unstoppable which they aren’t. They are still young and struggle from the perimeter. All it takes is one game for them to get bounced.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:18 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Ruminator wrote:Call me crazy, but I haven't been able to shake the feeling that Duke will miss the final four. We'll see!

It could happen, it’s called March Madness for a reason. People talk about Duke as unstoppable which they aren’t. They are still young and struggle from the perimeter. All it takes is one game for them to get bounced.

Can it happen? Of course it can. The question is WILL it happen? I just don’t see Duke losing prior to the final four. Besides having the best player in college basketball they also have a lot of talent around him. Combine that with an all time great coach and it’s an extremely tough combination to beat.
    kidhawk
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:29 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Ruminator wrote:Call me crazy, but I haven't been able to shake the feeling that Duke will miss the final four. We'll see!

Can it happen? Of course it can. The question is WILL it happen? I just don’t see Duke losing prior to the final four. Besides having the best player in college basketball they also have a lot of talent around him. Combine that with an all time great coach and it’s an extremely tough combination to beat.

They should face Michigan State in the Elite 8. That will be as tough a game as the semifinals or final.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:36 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information