Mariners 2019 season

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:53 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:

    So if they are in it in july, you still want us to sell for hopes and wishes for 2021. (By in it i mean leading playoff race) That makes zero sense if you could make it now. You instead are relying for hopes and wishes instead.


    yes, you still sell.. because this team as it is will not beat the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox, etal, even if they can hang with them for a bit. Sure, maybe they are a 1st wild card over a barely above average Twins team or a struggling A's team.

    That's the mentality they tried the last two years and are now where they are. Repeating it doesnt make sense.

    If they are still in it in June,/july.. and riding the good performances of vet players, those player's assets are now worth more. Cash them in, promote the young players who should be the ones that can take the team places for the long term.

    That's actually an incentive for guys like Encarnacion and Bruce et al. If they do well for us, there's a chance they'll get traded to a legit contender at the deadline. I don't care what our record is at the half way point of the season. I want to stick with the program, which is to get our younger guys together so they can learn to play and succeed as a team. Usually, I'm not one to want to sell if there is any mathematical hope. This year, not so much. They have a plan and I'm buying in to it.



    yeah, i mean unless they are on a 116 win pace and leading the division by 10, you have to.

    Even then, i think you still move players like Bruce and Encarnacion on.



    Astros sucked forever. So its a little different. If we are winning and winning to the playoffs im for the now. Im not for the "oh i hope this young team wins in 2021".
    Every year is different.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2544
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:58 pm
  • more Vogalbombs please.........SoDo Sluggers? Sea Bombers? I like this team. Im living in the moment. I loving Bruce, Encarcion,.......everyone.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3643
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:22 pm
    Location: Ich tu dir weh


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:33 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    yes, you still sell.. because this team as it is will not beat the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox, etal, even if they can hang with them for a bit. Sure, maybe they are a 1st wild card over a barely above average Twins team or a struggling A's team.

    That's the mentality they tried the last two years and are now where they are. Repeating it doesnt make sense.

    If they are still in it in June,/july.. and riding the good performances of vet players, those player's assets are now worth more. Cash them in, promote the young players who should be the ones that can take the team places for the long term.

    That's actually an incentive for guys like Encarnacion and Bruce et al. If they do well for us, there's a chance they'll get traded to a legit contender at the deadline. I don't care what our record is at the half way point of the season. I want to stick with the program, which is to get our younger guys together so they can learn to play and succeed as a team. Usually, I'm not one to want to sell if there is any mathematical hope. This year, not so much. They have a plan and I'm buying in to it.



    yeah, i mean unless they are on a 116 win pace and leading the division by 10, you have to.

    Even then, i think you still move players like Bruce and Encarnacion on.



    Astros sucked forever. So its a little different. If we are winning and winning to the playoffs im for the now. Im not for the "oh i hope this young team wins in 2021".
    Every year is different.



    The mariners have sucked forever. Irs not any different. Dont disregard their process while watching your team do the same.

    You can want to win now. But youre just agreeing to the same process that has cost the mariners years and years of futility while they tried to squeeze out some success from decent lineups at top 10 salary prices.

    If (big if) the ms are playing this well in july... then the GM needs to be steady
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15928
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:45 pm
  • M's we're 55-31 at one point last season. Still so many games left obviously but this is pretty fun. This offense really knows how to work the count so far. Seager is gonna have to step it up once he's back.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2926
    Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:52 pm
    Location: Kirkland


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:31 pm
  • Super early but my gosh this offense is so enjoyable to watch. Must see TV at the moment. The big tests will be the Houston series next week and in June and the 10 game road trip at Cleveland, NY and Boston in May. While everyone expects the team to slide you just never know and have to have some semblance of hope for the sake of it.

    A real positive is that when slumps inevitably happen this team is capable of manufacturing runs too. They have speed and good contact hitters that can put the ball in play on a hit and run. And they have good team chemistry that will help to battle past a losing streak. They obviously need bullpen help and hopefully Sheffield and Swanson are ready to be called up to help the rotation when needed.

    As to playing for this year versus ‘21 there’s been some good arguments on both sides. One thing to look at is IF the team is actually in 1st in July and have won series against the Astros and won or split the 4 game May series at NY you have to consider if they’ve been given a gift horse—don’t kick it away. You just never know that with a few more pieces, this year could actually end up being their best chance to contend for awhile. If they’re just in a wlldcard position in July though then it’s certainly not worth it to go all-in this year and if they dip back into mediocrity then expect many moves by the deadline.

    If the team continues to defy the odds and keeps winning, to actually contend this year though you have to call up Justus or Swanson as soon as Felix inevitably goes to crap. When Seager comes back limit him to a platoon role. Trade Encarnacion and/or Bruce (make Vogelbach full time DH) for relief pitching help. Call up Altavilla, option/DFA Rosscup and Gearrin. Hope Bautista contributes in a 7th inning role when he returns. And stay healthy with our crafty starters having a combined ERA of 4 and the lineup continuing to mash.

    Of course Jerry could stay the course for ‘21, trade all the vets including Beckham, Leake, LeBlanc, Gordon, Encarnacion, Healy and Bruce and hope the young prospects are better in 2 years than this group right now. How confident is everyone though that JP Crawford (who’s hit .243 in 4 years in AAA) is going to have a better year in ‘21 than Beckham is having now? Or Shed Long will be more valuable than Gordon is this year? Who in Tacoma do you have that’s going to be dropping bombs in ‘21 better than this club already has? Are there really any can’t miss prospects you could net in deadline trades this year? How many FA sluggers will actually be on the market in ‘21 that would want to come here?

    Maybe the long plan will work and is still the best course but based on this surprising success so far I think Jerry is in wait and see mode for what he does in July. Time will tell.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2408
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:05 am
  • I don't know if the 2021 prospects will turn out to be anything but i do know the more you have the better the chances are that you hit on some. I also know that this team doesn't have the pitching to be a real contender and to pick up another starter and a ton of bullpen help is going to cost you some of those prospects.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3776
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:53 am
  • getnasty wrote:I don't know if the 2021 prospects will turn out to be anything but i do know the more you have the better the chances are that you hit on some. I also know that this team doesn't have the pitching to be a real contender and to pick up another starter and a ton of bullpen help is going to cost you some of those prospects.


    Thats the thing... their are a half dozen prospects in Tacoma who already look the part. Its early, though.


    Still, if the Ms are still competing in july, youd hope its not on the backs of Bruce and EE. or Leake and Seager. Those players have ready made replacements and the possibility their production is equalled is better than relying in them through October.

    Players like Beckham and Haninger are the ones where the real dilemma will be.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15928
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:02 am
  • Well, they were supposed to be average at best. Clearly this is a good team, don't care how early it is. I still worry about the bullpen, but damn they can crush the ball.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13804
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:49 am
  • I'm struggling to figure out this Mariners team. Just looking at the schedule, I think we will know by mid May where this team is. Hard to measure them right now, because their first two games were in Japan. They took care of business against the Red Sox, but they look like they have a hangover from the WS. White Sox and Royals are suppose to be awful this season. But after that they have to play some tough competition in the Astros, Indians twice, Cubs and Yankees.

    I just don't think scoring nearly 8 runs per game is sustainable. At some point that number is going to come down. It's very early, we are 11 games into the season, lets see where they are in about a month.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4164
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:52 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I'm struggling to figure out this Mariners team. Just looking at the schedule, I think we will know by mid May where this team is. Hard to measure them right now, because their first two games were in Japan. They took care of business against the Red Sox, but they look like they have a hangover from the WS. White Sox and Royals are suppose to be awful this season. But after that they have to play some tough competition in the Astros, Indians twice, Cubs and Yankees.

    I just don't think scoring nearly 8 runs per game is sustainable. At some point that number is going to come down. It's very early, we are 11 games into the season, lets see where they are in about a month.

    That's the thing. It is fun to enjoy them now, but obviously the flying fickle finger of fate will hit some day with about 99% certainty, and things will go south, at least for a while. It's a streaky game. The most likely scenario is that the M's will regress to the mean and end up around a 75-85 win team, probably at best.

    The key will be how they respond when the wheels start to come off. Everybody is scouting everybody, and teams on a hot streak get a lot of attention as upcoming opponents start to figure out how to counter tendencies. How will the young guys that we're counting on in a couple of years respond to that? As always, how they perform when struggling will show what kind of character they have.

    It's been a great start, but there are probably some ugly times ahead. We had a couple of clean games with no errors. Did all of our defensive players all of a sudden become all-stars? Seems unlikely.

    I'm just enjoying the now, and hope the bad times coming can be weathered...not so much in a "win the division" way, but in a "how do they look for the long term" way.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17037
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:11 am
  • Yep, there will always be that part of me that has that "same old M's" thing going on, it's a natural feeling with this team.
    I laugh at the people who tell others "it's early" like they don't like other people enjoying themselves. Just my own opinion, but shoot....enjoy the ride. I still suspect they finish under .500, but I hope to continue to be wrong about this team. I hate feeling that way, but it's hard after 17 years of this to not just feel like they will choke down the stretch. The future is clearly bright with this team though.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13804
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:47 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Yep, there will always be that part of me that has that "same old M's" thing going on, it's a natural feeling with this team.
    I laugh at the people who tell others "it's early" like they don't like other people enjoying themselves. Just my own opinion, but shoot....enjoy the ride. I still suspect they finish under .500, but I hope to continue to be wrong about this team. I hate feeling that way, but it's hard after 17 years of this to not just feel like they will choke down the stretch. The future is clearly bright with this team though.



    This teams not built to ein so anything they do can be turned into a positive.

    For me, "its early" focuses more on the players and who is actually good (and what they may net in a trade, or a future salary) than anything to do with wins and losses.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15928
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:07 pm
  • It's gonna' be interesting when they have their first losing streak. Most teams go thru it. Shoot, look at the Red Sox......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13804
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:17 pm
  • Right now I don't really care about who can be traded for what and how prospects are going to look in 2021 or whatever. I'm also not the least bit concerned about this team coming back down to earth or whatever. I'm too busy enjoying the hell out of watching this team knock the ball around all over the place.

    For everyone that's so concerned and focused on what's going to happen in the future, whether it's a couple months from now or a couple years from now, don't forget to enjoy the here and now. This team is really fun to watch right now.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3256
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:23 pm
  • They truly are. And holy hell can they smash the ball.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13804
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:26 pm
  • Chapow wrote:Right now I don't really care about who can be traded for what and how prospects are going to look in 2021 or whatever. I'm also not the least bit concerned about this team coming back down to earth or whatever. I'm too busy enjoying the hell out of watching this team knock the ball around all over the place.

    For everyone that's so concerned and focused on what's going to happen in the future, whether it's a couple months from now or a couple years from now, don't forget to enjoy the here and now. This team is really fun to watch right now.


    Doubt people would be posting about the Mariners on a Seahawks board if they werent enjoying them play
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15928
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:48 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Chapow wrote:Right now I don't really care about who can be traded for what and how prospects are going to look in 2021 or whatever. I'm also not the least bit concerned about this team coming back down to earth or whatever. I'm too busy enjoying the hell out of watching this team knock the ball around all over the place.

    For everyone that's so concerned and focused on what's going to happen in the future, whether it's a couple months from now or a couple years from now, don't forget to enjoy the here and now. This team is really fun to watch right now.


    Doubt people would be posting about the Mariners on a Seahawks board if they werent enjoying them play


    Seriously?

    You might want to review the 2018 Mariners Regular Season thread starting about end of last June. Many, many posts from people clearly not enjoying watching them play.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3256
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:49 pm
  • Im saying right now man. Come on.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15928
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:42 pm
  • Man, Vogelbach is making the most of his chance. I live in Texas and it's hard to see the M's but since I moved I've always followed, what a great start. Of course it's a long season but dang, it's fun right now, just don't be dicks when things go different.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34814
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:39 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:They truly are. And holy hell can they smash the ball.

    Yep, I’ll bask in the first place glory as long as it lasts. :2thumbs:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 26138
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:26 pm
  • This offense is INSANE right now! :snack:
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1438
    Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:33 pm
    Location: Sammamish Washington


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:30 pm
  • Its crazy
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15928
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:00 pm
  • I must admit I’m pleasantly shocked,,,,this battering ram the Ms have is unreal. Hopefully they don’t all cool at the same time. If they can put up 8+ runs on a regular basis it doesn’t matter if the pitching isn’t all world. It seems to be good enough.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7552
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:36 pm
  • Accidentally assembling an elite offense in a rebuilding year is such a Mariners move.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5754
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:29 am
    Location: Back in Seattle


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:18 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:Accidentally assembling an elite offense in a rebuilding year is such a Mariners move.


    Too true
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15928
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:46 pm
  • A funny thing happened on the way to the rebuilding forum...

    Unbelievable power the whole lineup with such great approaches at the plate. Kudos to Servais getting all 3 of the big guys in the lineup tonight. I actually can’t wait for the Houston series Friday-Really curious about how this team matches up against them and Cleveland after.
    Last edited by West TX Hawk on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2408
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:47 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:Accidentally assembling an elite offense in a rebuilding year is such a Mariners move.

    100%
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2544
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:48 pm
  • West TX Hawk wrote:A funny thing happened on the way to the rebuilding forum...

    Unbelievable power the whole lineup with such great approaches at the plate. Kudos to Servais getting all 3 of the big guys in the lineup tonight. I actually can’t wait for the Houston series next week-Really curious about how this team matches up against them.



    I think this team can and will hit. 8 runs a game? No. I think we need bullpen.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2544
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:54 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:A funny thing happened on the way to the rebuilding forum...

    Unbelievable power the whole lineup with such great approaches at the plate. Kudos to Servais getting all 3 of the big guys in the lineup tonight. I actually can’t wait for the Houston series next week-Really curious about how this team matches up against them.



    I think this team can and will hit. 8 runs a game? No. I think we need bullpen.


    Don’t you wish we could somehow sign Kimbrel? I know on paper with the rebuild the logic says no (you also lose a compensatory pick if he signs before June 3) but it sure would be something if he were interested in coming here and Jerry pulled the trigger.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2408
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:03 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 6276
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:32 am
  • Mariners scored 677 runs last year. We already have 98.
    bloodkingg
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 113
    Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:44 pm
    Location: PNW


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:41 am
  • I think they just hit another home run :lol:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13804
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:03 am
  • Dang, they will be coming my way over the weekend and wouldn't ya just know it the Stro's have won 4 in a row after a $h!t start.

    Going to have to try and make the Sunday game.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34814
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:05 am
  • Nice!
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13804
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:14 am
  • Okay I'm in, at least for now. We can get by with terrible fielding and pitching if we got this offense. I liked that Servais found a way to get all three big bats in the lineup yesterday. Bruce in the OF isn't ideal, but when you are scoring like we are, we can put him in the field.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4164
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:59 am
  • West TX Hawk wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:A funny thing happened on the way to the rebuilding forum...

    Unbelievable power the whole lineup with such great approaches at the plate. Kudos to Servais getting all 3 of the big guys in the lineup tonight. I actually can’t wait for the Houston series next week-Really curious about how this team matches up against them.



    I think this team can and will hit. 8 runs a game? No. I think we need bullpen.


    Don’t you wish we could somehow sign Kimbrel? I know on paper with the rebuild the logic says no (you also lose a compensatory pick if he signs before June 3) but it sure would be something if he were interested in coming here and Jerry pulled the trigger.



    Yea id love to sign kimbrel on a decent deal. I know its so early but listening to harold reynolds on mlb network, he believes the offense is sustainable. He said not homering every game but a solid offensive team.
    He said same thing about shoring up the bullpen and defense and could be summer fun for seattle.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2544
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:05 am
  • This offense is nuts. I've never been this entertained by baseball before in my life. I was literally laughing out loud when they just kept piling on runs in the 6th last night.

    Also, holy hell Gearrin is just a dumpster fire. That guy needs a hard reset. I don't know if that means sending him down to Tacoma for a bit or what, but good gawd man. There have gotta be better options.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3256
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:08 am
  • This is fun to watch. I hope the "pitching and defense" style never comes back if we have to lose offense like this again. I forgot how fun it was to score like this...
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1568
    Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:23 am
  • One of the fun facts about the offense, the one game where we scored less than 5 runs, we won it 2-1. :mrgreen:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17037
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:02 am
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:A funny thing happened on the way to the rebuilding forum...

    Unbelievable power the whole lineup with such great approaches at the plate. Kudos to Servais getting all 3 of the big guys in the lineup tonight. I actually can’t wait for the Houston series next week-Really curious about how this team matches up against them.



    I think this team can and will hit. 8 runs a game? No. I think we need bullpen.


    Don’t you wish we could somehow sign Kimbrel? I know on paper with the rebuild the logic says no (you also lose a compensatory pick if he signs before June 3) but it sure would be something if he were interested in coming here and Jerry pulled the trigger.



    Yea id love to sign kimbrel on a decent deal. I know its so early but listening to harold reynolds on mlb network, he believes the offense is sustainable. He said not homering every game but a solid offensive team.
    He said same thing about shoring up the bullpen and defense and could be summer fun for seattle.


    Same for keuchel.

    But to stay with philosophy youd have to:

    A. Wait to June 3 and see if still available

    B. Sign to two year deal and trade next season.

    Probably both.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15928
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:53 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:

    I think this team can and will hit. 8 runs a game? No. I think we need bullpen.


    Don’t you wish we could somehow sign Kimbrel? I know on paper with the rebuild the logic says no (you also lose a compensatory pick if he signs before June 3) but it sure would be something if he were interested in coming here and Jerry pulled the trigger.



    Yea id love to sign kimbrel on a decent deal. I know its so early but listening to harold reynolds on mlb network, he believes the offense is sustainable. He said not homering every game but a solid offensive team.
    He said same thing about shoring up the bullpen and defense and could be summer fun for seattle.


    Same for keuchel.

    But to stay with philosophy youd have to:

    A. Wait to June 3 and see if still available

    B. Sign to two year deal and trade next season.

    Probably both.



    http://sports.mynorthwest.com/628892/mo ... -2001/amp/
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2544
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:04 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:
    Don’t you wish we could somehow sign Kimbrel? I know on paper with the rebuild the logic says no (you also lose a compensatory pick if he signs before June 3) but it sure would be something if he were interested in coming here and Jerry pulled the trigger.



    Yea id love to sign kimbrel on a decent deal. I know its so early but listening to harold reynolds on mlb network, he believes the offense is sustainable. He said not homering every game but a solid offensive team.
    He said same thing about shoring up the bullpen and defense and could be summer fun for seattle.


    Same for keuchel.

    But to stay with philosophy youd have to:

    A. Wait to June 3 and see if still available

    B. Sign to two year deal and trade next season.

    Probably both.



    http://sports.mynorthwest.com/628892/mo ... -2001/amp/


    Good article. You just never know when a team might have all the intangibles to make a surprising run. Time will tell.

    I've wondered if Jerry knew something that no one else did--that maybe he was partly leading on about just playing for '21 when he knew there was a chance this particular team could be special. The reports of him trying to deal away Encarnacion would of course counter that, but maybe most of the vet guys they acquired this winter--guys who had big 2017s and were looking for bounce back seasons this year were exactly who they wanted for the short term.

    On a related note, if they think they could make a run next year they have a club option for Encarnacion for $20 mil next year. Considering Cruz got over 14 mil this year that's not unreasonable for a guy that's going to get you 35 HR.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2408
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:14 pm
  • West TX Hawk wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:

    Yea id love to sign kimbrel on a decent deal. I know its so early but listening to harold reynolds on mlb network, he believes the offense is sustainable. He said not homering every game but a solid offensive team.
    He said same thing about shoring up the bullpen and defense and could be summer fun for seattle.


    Same for keuchel.

    But to stay with philosophy youd have to:

    A. Wait to June 3 and see if still available

    B. Sign to two year deal and trade next season.

    Probably both.



    http://sports.mynorthwest.com/628892/mo ... -2001/amp/


    Good article. You just never know when a team might have all the intangibles to make a surprising run. Time will tell.

    I've wondered if Jerry knew something that no one else did--that maybe he was partly leading on about just playing for '21 when he knew there was a chance this particular team could be special. The reports of him trying to deal away Encarnacion would of course counter that, but maybe most of the vet guys they acquired this winter--guys who had big 2017s and were looking for bounce back seasons this year were exactly who they wanted for the short term.

    On a related note, if they think they could make a run next year they have a club option for Encarnacion for $20 mil next year. Considering Cruz got over 14 mil this year that's not unreasonable for a guy that's going to get you 35 HR.



    Agree. What if they all have amazing years? You don't know. Sure its so early that we could be .500 by end of april. Or be 16 games over. Baseball is weird.

    .538 had us at 77 wins to start the season. They now have us at 85 wins now.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2544
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:30 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:
    Don’t you wish we could somehow sign Kimbrel? I know on paper with the rebuild the logic says no (you also lose a compensatory pick if he signs before June 3) but it sure would be something if he were interested in coming here and Jerry pulled the trigger.



    Yea id love to sign kimbrel on a decent deal. I know its so early but listening to harold reynolds on mlb network, he believes the offense is sustainable. He said not homering every game but a solid offensive team.
    He said same thing about shoring up the bullpen and defense and could be summer fun for seattle.


    Same for keuchel.

    But to stay with philosophy youd have to:

    A. Wait to June 3 and see if still available

    B. Sign to two year deal and trade next season.

    Probably both.



    http://sports.mynorthwest.com/628892/mo ... -2001/amp/


    Whats that have to do with kuechel and kimbrel?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15928
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:39 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:


    Remarkable!
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1973
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 am
    Location: Ravenna


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:10 pm
  • This is all fun for now. :mrgreen:

    One problem we have, of course, is that we're in a division where two teams had over 95 wins last season. Now, Oakland may have been a bit of an anomoly last year, but Houston is still pretty strong. What we do at the trade deadline will be affected by how they are doing, too.

    One thing we don't want to do is blow a lot of capital building a number 3 team again.

    Go M's! :irishdrinkers:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17037
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:24 pm
  • Jay Bruce going yard oppo. Just sweet.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2408
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:44 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:

    Yea id love to sign kimbrel on a decent deal. I know its so early but listening to harold reynolds on mlb network, he believes the offense is sustainable. He said not homering every game but a solid offensive team.
    He said same thing about shoring up the bullpen and defense and could be summer fun for seattle.


    Same for keuchel.

    But to stay with philosophy youd have to:

    A. Wait to June 3 and see if still available

    B. Sign to two year deal and trade next season.

    Probably both.



    http://sports.mynorthwest.com/628892/mo ... -2001/amp/


    Whats that have to do with kuechel and kimbrel?



    I thought it was a neat article to share.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2544
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:16 pm
  • Routine fly ball dropped by Santana then Hamilton scores from 2nd base from a fly ball to center. lol D needs as much help as the bullpen. But these guys can hit. Let’s go boys!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1438
    Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:33 pm
    Location: Sammamish Washington


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:15 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:Accidentally assembling an elite offense in a rebuilding year is such a Mariners move.


    Before the season I jokingly predicted that the Mariners would in the WS after accidentally putting together the best roster in MLB history.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2217
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:40 am
    Location: Enumclaw, WA


PreviousNext


It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:39 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: CPHawk and 8 guests