Mariners 2019 season

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Mariners 2019 season
Fri May 17, 2019 8:11 am
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:Wow. This Erik Swanson kid is a mess. I'm guessing he'll be back in Tacoma soon. His tryout for a spot in the rotation has to end after his disaster tonight, one would assume.


    He's got good stuff but has been absolutely awful as his command has struggled. The pathetic thing is that of all the pitching prospects, including Sheffield, Swanson was considered the most major league ready. Obviously not very promising. Maybe they'll call up Justus again.

    The bullpen is garbage also with the exception of Sadzeck, Elias and Brennan who have all been solid.

    Dipoto better hope he can flip Encarnacion, Bruce, Healy, Beckham or others for a few prospects before the break. I don't anticipate high interest in any of our guys sans maybe Haniger. With the prospects they currently have, they're going to need a lot more to give them a chance at realistically contending by '21. I'm just not seeing it at this point.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2408
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Fri May 17, 2019 11:16 am
  • West TX Hawk wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:Wow. This Erik Swanson kid is a mess. I'm guessing he'll be back in Tacoma soon. His tryout for a spot in the rotation has to end after his disaster tonight, one would assume.


    He's got good stuff but has been absolutely awful as his command has struggled. The pathetic thing is that of all the pitching prospects, including Sheffield, Swanson was considered the most major league ready. Obviously not very promising. Maybe they'll call up Justus again.

    The bullpen is garbage also with the exception of Sadzeck, Elias and Brennan who have all been solid.

    Dipoto better hope he can flip Encarnacion, Bruce, Healy, Beckham or others for a few prospects before the break. I don't anticipate high interest in any of our guys sans maybe Haniger. With the prospects they currently have, they're going to need a lot more to give them a chance at realistically contending by '21. I'm just not seeing it at this point.


    Yeah, he has absolutely no command right now, which is scary because he uses good fastball more than half the time. His secondary picked are the change and slider, and he seems reluctant to use those. Yeah, I'm not sure what to think of Sheffield yet. He was the "centerpiece" of that trade. He's been roughed up a bit in Tacoma so far. How long will it be until he's ready for the rotation? Could be a while.

    Maybe it's just me, but Gearrin seems to have really bounced back lately. Not sold on Brennan at all.

    I completely agree with your last point. Beckham's fielding has probably plummeted any stock he might've had. Bruce is an enigma. I think Encarnacion might have some value, but who knows. Would you be willing to include Mitch in a trade, if you could get a top prospect? I honestly have no faith in Dipoto. His track record since he's been here is enough of a sample size for me.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1620
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:05 am
    Location: Out here


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Fri May 17, 2019 1:38 pm
  • THUD is the sound Mariners fans are familiar with. And we have this years version. It was expected but that start makes it worse.

    They need to trade for prospects not players for this year.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34833
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Fri May 17, 2019 11:49 pm
  • If we have better pitching we would win all our games because we have three designated hitters. I dont know if there is a coherent direction.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3643
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:22 pm
    Location: Ich tu dir weh


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat May 18, 2019 2:30 pm
  • Atradees wrote:If we have better pitching we would win all our games because we have three designated hitters. I dont know if there is a coherent direction.


    If we had pitchers, period, we would win more games.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2276
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat May 18, 2019 6:20 pm
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:Wow. This Erik Swanson kid is a mess. I'm guessing he'll be back in Tacoma soon. His tryout for a spot in the rotation has to end after his disaster tonight, one would assume.


    He's got good stuff but has been absolutely awful as his command has struggled. The pathetic thing is that of all the pitching prospects, including Sheffield, Swanson was considered the most major league ready. Obviously not very promising. Maybe they'll call up Justus again.

    The bullpen is garbage also with the exception of Sadzeck, Elias and Brennan who have all been solid.

    Dipoto better hope he can flip Encarnacion, Bruce, Healy, Beckham or others for a few prospects before the break. I don't anticipate high interest in any of our guys sans maybe Haniger. With the prospects they currently have, they're going to need a lot more to give them a chance at realistically contending by '21. I'm just not seeing it at this point.


    Yeah, he has absolutely no command right now, which is scary because he uses good fastball more than half the time. His secondary picked are the change and slider, and he seems reluctant to use those. Yeah, I'm not sure what to think of Sheffield yet. He was the "centerpiece" of that trade. He's been roughed up a bit in Tacoma so far. How long will it be until he's ready for the rotation? Could be a while.

    Maybe it's just me, but Gearrin seems to have really bounced back lately. Not sold on Brennan at all.

    I completely agree with your last point. Beckham's fielding has probably plummeted any stock he might've had. Bruce is an enigma. I think Encarnacion might have some value, but who knows. Would you be willing to include Mitch in a trade, if you could get a top prospect? I honestly have no faith in Dipoto. His track record since he's been here is enough of a sample size for me.

    The BP pitchers..Sadzeck,Gearrin and Brennan are solid..There is one more I like but his name
    escapes my mind..
    The starting staff? :pukeface:
    I know it's bad until the kids are ready..Dunn and Sheff
    Swanson?I'm really not sure what to make out of him..Yet
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4806
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat May 18, 2019 8:48 pm
  • Mariners pitching staff is putting on batting practice for the Twins. Not sure that I have ever seen the M's give-up 20 runs in a game before, but, I have also never seen anything like this pitching staff (so, it's possible, 12 runs in, and only in the 4th). I started watching in 1990 (when I was four), so, I missed-out on the 1977-89 era of pitching.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2276
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat May 18, 2019 9:43 pm
  • Threedee wrote:Mariners pitching staff is putting on batting practice for the Twins. Not sure that I have ever seen the M's give-up 20 runs in a game before, but, I have also never seen anything like this pitching staff (so, it's possible, 12 runs in, and only in the 4th). I started watching in 1990 (when I was four), so, I missed-out on the 1977-89 era of pitching.

    Yeah, this is ugly. 15-4 now in the 5th. This staff is just downright bad. The team as a whole is not only on pace to shatter the season record for errors, but they have to be on pace to shatter the season record for ERs as well. I know I've said it before, but DAMN! There's no way I expected it to be THIS bad this year. It's making me regret buying tickets to the Cardinals game, and I always love getting out to at least one game a year. I was there two years ago when they got drubbed by the White Sox on a Yovani Gallardo start. I think the final was like 16-1 or something. Everyone knew the game was over by the 2nd inning. That wasn't fun at all.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1620
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:05 am
    Location: Out here


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat May 18, 2019 9:44 pm
  • Hilarious. Down 15-0 top of five and the M's chase their starter after 4 2/3. 15 run cushion and he doesn't get the win. :laugh:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17038
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat May 18, 2019 10:07 pm
  • This team is no longer fun to watch, and I’m NOT basking in the first place glory anymore. 8)

    Time to start the Tacoma shuttle.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 26141
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:This team is no longer fun to watch, and I’m NOT basking in the first place glory anymore. 8)

    Time to start the Tacoma shuttle.

    They started that a while ago. :laugh:

    More tonight because the bullpen has pitched about 90 innings the last 3 nights.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17038
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat May 18, 2019 10:14 pm
  • Hmm I’m looking forward to the Baltimore series. That will be our ALCS of bad. Might be playing for worst records, so thats fun :sarcasm_off: :pukeface:
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1438
    Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:33 pm
    Location: Sammamish Washington


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat May 18, 2019 10:42 pm
  • Unless they are tanking for draft picks, Servais should be canned. Look what frickin' Baldelli is doing with Minny. Who else remembers him from TB?
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2926
    Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:52 pm
    Location: Kirkland


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat May 18, 2019 11:40 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:Unless they are tanking for draft picks, Servais should be canned. Look what frickin' Baldelli is doing with Minny. Who else remembers him from TB?

    Honestly, Servais should've been canned a long time ago.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1620
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:05 am
    Location: Out here


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat May 18, 2019 11:45 pm
  • I just saw a a "tweet" that said since April 27, Seattle has been outscored by a margin of 141-65. And that's not including tonight. Let that sink in, boys and girls.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1620
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:05 am
    Location: Out here


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun May 19, 2019 12:21 am
  • sutz wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:This team is no longer fun to watch, and I’m NOT basking in the first place glory anymore. 8)

    Time to start the Tacoma shuttle.

    They started that a while ago. :laugh:

    More tonight because the bullpen has pitched about 90 innings the last 3 nights.

    No, I’m talking about 5 or 6 at a time. You produce you stay, you don’t you get to vacation in Tacoma for awhile.
    Too many AB’s being given away by the hitters, and too many pitchers throwing BP during games.

    If you as a team or battling and losing close games that’s one thing, getting blown out on a nightly basis pretty much means you are failing in all facets of the game.


    And yes I know it’s a rebuild year.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 26141
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun May 19, 2019 12:58 am
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Threedee wrote:Mariners pitching staff is putting on batting practice for the Twins. Not sure that I have ever seen the M's give-up 20 runs in a game before, but, I have also never seen anything like this pitching staff (so, it's possible, 12 runs in, and only in the 4th). I started watching in 1990 (when I was four), so, I missed-out on the 1977-89 era of pitching.

    Yeah, this is ugly. 15-4 now in the 5th. This staff is just downright bad. The team as a whole is not only on pace to shatter the season record for errors, but they have to be on pace to shatter the season record for ERs as well. I know I've said it before, but DAMN! There's no way I expected it to be THIS bad this year. It's making me regret buying tickets to the Cardinals game, and I always love getting out to at least one game a year. I was there two years ago when they got drubbed by the White Sox on a Yovani Gallardo start. I think the final was like 16-1 or something. Everyone knew the game was over by the 2nd inning. That wasn't fun at all.


    I have a Facebook invite from my aunt and uncle to attend a Cardinals game. This tells me that their close friends from STL are in town (they are a fun crowd that I used to enjoy having at family BBQs when they were living in Seattle). The series is guaranteed to be a disaster, as the entire NL Central (minus Cincy) is a monster. But, I haven't been to a game, will be free, and I wouldn't mind having some beers with this group and just checking-out.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2276
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun May 19, 2019 1:03 am
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:Unless they are tanking for draft picks, Servais should be canned. Look what frickin' Baldelli is doing with Minny. Who else remembers him from TB?

    Honestly, Servais should've been canned a long time ago.


    Dipoto hanging onto Servais is like Carroll hanging onto DFB (except not even Servais could ever suck that much). You just aren't going anywhere in this game if your manager isn't above average, and Dipoto thinks he can put together a competive roster one of these days.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2276
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun May 19, 2019 5:30 am
  • I have said before that the Cubs are my National team..
    They have not extended Maddon as his contract is up
    after the season..There is only one team I would love
    for him to leave for and think he would be a perfect
    fit for.. ;)
    The guy is a real manager who gets the most out of
    young guys..He would love Seattle and fit right in..
    A championship for the Mariners could be reality
    with him..If anyone doesn't understand,all you have
    to do is look up his record and what he has had on
    his teams with Tampa and Cubs it is a lot less than
    the Red Sox and Stankees(for Lymon) :lol:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4806
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun May 19, 2019 2:16 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:I have said before that the Cubs are my National team..
    They have not extended Maddon as his contract is up
    after the season..There is only one team I would love
    for him to leave for and think he would be a perfect
    fit for.. ;)
    The guy is a real manager who gets the most out of
    young guys..He would love Seattle and fit right in..
    A championship for the Mariners could be reality
    with him..If anyone doesn't understand,all you have
    to do is look up his record and what he has had on
    his teams with Tampa and Cubs it is a lot less than
    the Red Sox and Stankees(for Lymon) :lol:

    Madden would be great here. :2thumbs:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 26141
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun May 19, 2019 7:23 pm
  • Madden is a great coach but why would he come here? He is one of the best baseball managers and the Mariners are arguably the worst MLB franchise.

    The team is awful and I don’t really care because it was suppose to be a throw away season. I’m just worried that if these prospects don’t pan out then we are talking about a long set back.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4164
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun May 19, 2019 8:19 pm
  • If the prospects don't pan out they'll have plenty of payroll to buy players... That was always the plan anyways. They just may need to buy more than anticipated.

    It's best to sit out this iteration of the Astros anyways and maybe follow the Twins lead on things.

    That said... May has sucked for this team. Be nice to get back to a few good team efforts at least.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15929
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon May 20, 2019 7:01 am
  • Well, YK had another quality start. He's looking like a keeper. Smith came back looking like at least an average ball player for now. Encarnacion seems to be working to improve his trade value. He had a nice diving catch of a soft pop-up on the infield.

    It's not all doom and gloom. ;)
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17038
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon May 20, 2019 3:01 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Madden is a great coach but why would he come here? He is one of the best baseball managers and the Mariners are arguably the worst MLB franchise.

    The team is awful and I don’t really care because it was suppose to be a throw away season. I’m just worried that if these prospects don’t pan out then we are talking about a long set back.

    It's Maddon guys..Why wouldn't he come here?He's not your
    typical personality..He like challenges and money talks..I can very well see
    him coming if the Cubs are stupid enough to let him go and the Mariners
    pay him well..Why did Lou come here?Why did Lou go to the Cubs? :lol:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4806
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon May 20, 2019 5:11 pm
  • Traded one of our best BP pitchers..It's over for sure now..Tanking it up!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4806
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon May 20, 2019 5:28 pm
  • LOL bottom 1st 5-0.. should be 2 errors but the error on the DP attempt goes as a fielders choice. This team is unwatchable. :pukeface:

    Of course i post that then they come back and only lose by a run :shock:
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1438
    Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:33 pm
    Location: Sammamish Washington


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Mon May 20, 2019 9:09 pm
  • I actually think their defense is worse than the pitching. The pitching staff is merely an embarrassment, but, the defense would get laughed-at by a struggling AAA team.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2276
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue May 21, 2019 7:43 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:Traded one of our best BP pitchers..It's over for sure now..Tanking it up!


    Swarzek was terrible.

    Nothing wrong with ridding him from the roster and trying someone new
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15929
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue May 21, 2019 7:50 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Traded one of our best BP pitchers..It's over for sure now..Tanking it up!


    Swarzek was terrible.

    Nothing wrong with ridding him from the roster and trying someone new

    Well, "best" for our bullpen is a pretty low bar. :twisted:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17038
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue May 21, 2019 9:14 am
  • sutz wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Traded one of our best BP pitchers..It's over for sure now..Tanking it up!


    Swarzek was terrible.

    Nothing wrong with ridding him from the roster and trying someone new

    Well, "best" for our bullpen is a pretty low bar. :twisted:


    Agree there... but at least now they can hand the ball off to someone who only "might suck" as opposed to "does suck"
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15929
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue May 21, 2019 12:48 pm
  • The team has lost 25 out of the last 35. Rebuild or not, with the glaring lack of young bullpen arms throughout the organization and the rudderless approach at top, I'm not sure Dipoto has a clear view of where this team is headed by the '21 target.

    I think at this point I echo a couple others saying trading Haniger by the deadline may not be a bad idea. Hell, might as well consider trading just about everyone for this rebuild. I would keep Vogey, Santana, Narvaez and the prospects to see how they develop but honestly there's not a single prospect we have that's "can't miss." Keep Marco and Kikuchi also but if a great offer came for them might as well consider it.

    Dipoto's entire strategy is predicated on Sheffield, Crawford, Long, Dunn, Kelenic and a few others becoming quality players by '21 and adding a few FAs to supplement the roster. It may just end up producing another .500 club.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2408
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Tue May 21, 2019 8:38 pm
  • Healy and Gordon on the 10 day IL, so gonna gets some looks at the young guys. Beckham, JP, Shed and EE infield. Shed Long got his first hit, hopefully one of many. Milone with a decent start: 5 innings, 3 hits, 2 runs. Lot of pitches, though, they fouled off about 20 pitches in the first two innings.

    Offense was ice cold once again. :34853_doh:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17038
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Wed May 22, 2019 7:51 am
  • West TX Hawk wrote:The team has lost 25 out of the last 35. Rebuild or not, with the glaring lack of young bullpen arms throughout the organization and the rudderless approach at top, I'm not sure Dipoto has a clear view of where this team is headed by the '21 target.

    I think at this point I echo a couple others saying trading Haniger by the deadline may not be a bad idea. Hell, might as well consider trading just about everyone for this rebuild. I would keep Vogey, Santana, Narvaez and the prospects to see how they develop but honestly there's not a single prospect we have that's "can't miss." Keep Marco and Kikuchi also but if a great offer came for them might as well consider it.

    Dipoto's entire strategy is predicated on Sheffield, Crawford, Long, Dunn, Kelenic and a few others becoming quality players by '21 and adding a few FAs to supplement the roster. It may just end up producing another .500 club.



    If that is the approach, why are you concerned about Sheffield, Crawford, Long, Dunn, Kelenic, etc as its mid-May and many haven't even seen major league action yet? There's rarely a "can't miss" prospect, and they still may be able to draft one in the future.

    They are not going to trade Kikuchi, probably not Marco either. Leake, certainly could go.

    This is year 1 of a rebuild. If the future is based on the prospects who are barely seeing action, then the best thing a fan can see is a slow integration of these prospects into the bigs this year... then start adding FAs to that core next year.

    Wins-losses mean nothing. Vets getting hits is a good thing, even if there are 4 DHs in the lineup. Get their numbers up, trade them. Vets eating innings is the same thing. Who cares if one of them tanks an inning and the team loses if two of them go scoreless for a couple?

    Its $h!t to watch, but its what the team is. Might as well see it for what its supposed to be.

    I am not sold that the GM is the guy to see this through either. But.. in the meantime, the farm is deep and the prospects are improving (according to Lookout Landing atleast) so the future isnt bleak, even if the present is hot garbage.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15929
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Wed May 22, 2019 7:57 am
  • But, but, but...

    Image

    :twisted:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17038
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Wed May 22, 2019 11:26 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:The team has lost 25 out of the last 35. Rebuild or not, with the glaring lack of young bullpen arms throughout the organization and the rudderless approach at top, I'm not sure Dipoto has a clear view of where this team is headed by the '21 target.

    I think at this point I echo a couple others saying trading Haniger by the deadline may not be a bad idea. Hell, might as well consider trading just about everyone for this rebuild. I would keep Vogey, Santana, Narvaez and the prospects to see how they develop but honestly there's not a single prospect we have that's "can't miss." Keep Marco and Kikuchi also but if a great offer came for them might as well consider it.

    Dipoto's entire strategy is predicated on Sheffield, Crawford, Long, Dunn, Kelenic and a few others becoming quality players by '21 and adding a few FAs to supplement the roster. It may just end up producing another .500 club.



    If that is the approach, why are you concerned about Sheffield, Crawford, Long, Dunn, Kelenic, etc as its mid-May and many haven't even seen major league action yet? There's rarely a "can't miss" prospect, and they still may be able to draft one in the future.

    They are not going to trade Kikuchi, probably not Marco either. Leake, certainly could go.

    This is year 1 of a rebuild. If the future is based on the prospects who are barely seeing action, then the best thing a fan can see is a slow integration of these prospects into the bigs this year... then start adding FAs to that core next year.

    Wins-losses mean nothing. Vets getting hits is a good thing, even if there are 4 DHs in the lineup. Get their numbers up, trade them. Vets eating innings is the same thing. Who cares if one of them tanks an inning and the team loses if two of them go scoreless for a couple?

    Its $h!t to watch, but its what the team is. Might as well see it for what its supposed to be.

    I am not sold that the GM is the guy to see this through either. But.. in the meantime, the farm is deep and the prospects are improving (according to Lookout Landing atleast) so the future isnt bleak, even if the present is hot garbage.


    Some good points Si. It's not that I'm concerned with our current batch of prospects, it's just that I think we need a lot more to have a real shot at contending in a couple years (particularly BP arms). Just like NFL drafts, some guys will pay off, some will be ok, some will be flat busts. We can't assume that our current crop of top 10 prospects will all work out, so I think we need to deppen our stock. I don't entirely have confidence either in Dipoto's ability to sign quality FAs in a couple years either (or if top FAs would actually want to come here) so I think our best chance is to develop from within.

    As such, I think we need to be even more aggressive sellers at the deadline than anticipated. I last read our farm rose from the bottom to average level, but we still have a ways to go to get to the Padres level of stock.

    For the tanking/rebuild mode, for every Cubs and Astros tank/title model there's of course the Reds, Marlins, White Sox, Orioles and others that failed or are still waiting. It was Dipoto's only play but watching the current piss poor product on the field is indeed difficult and at times maddening. I want to keep believing this will all pay off in a couple years but this organization and Dipoto's track record make it hard to be completely on board or optomistic. I do hope Crawford, Justus etc all do pay off though.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2408
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Wed May 22, 2019 11:48 am
  • West TX Hawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:The team has lost 25 out of the last 35. Rebuild or not, with the glaring lack of young bullpen arms throughout the organization and the rudderless approach at top, I'm not sure Dipoto has a clear view of where this team is headed by the '21 target.

    I think at this point I echo a couple others saying trading Haniger by the deadline may not be a bad idea. Hell, might as well consider trading just about everyone for this rebuild. I would keep Vogey, Santana, Narvaez and the prospects to see how they develop but honestly there's not a single prospect we have that's "can't miss." Keep Marco and Kikuchi also but if a great offer came for them might as well consider it.

    Dipoto's entire strategy is predicated on Sheffield, Crawford, Long, Dunn, Kelenic and a few others becoming quality players by '21 and adding a few FAs to supplement the roster. It may just end up producing another .500 club.



    If that is the approach, why are you concerned about Sheffield, Crawford, Long, Dunn, Kelenic, etc as its mid-May and many haven't even seen major league action yet? There's rarely a "can't miss" prospect, and they still may be able to draft one in the future.

    They are not going to trade Kikuchi, probably not Marco either. Leake, certainly could go.

    This is year 1 of a rebuild. If the future is based on the prospects who are barely seeing action, then the best thing a fan can see is a slow integration of these prospects into the bigs this year... then start adding FAs to that core next year.

    Wins-losses mean nothing. Vets getting hits is a good thing, even if there are 4 DHs in the lineup. Get their numbers up, trade them. Vets eating innings is the same thing. Who cares if one of them tanks an inning and the team loses if two of them go scoreless for a couple?

    Its $h!t to watch, but its what the team is. Might as well see it for what its supposed to be.

    I am not sold that the GM is the guy to see this through either. But.. in the meantime, the farm is deep and the prospects are improving (according to Lookout Landing atleast) so the future isnt bleak, even if the present is hot garbage.


    Some good points Si. It's not that I'm concerned with our current batch of prospects, it's just that I think we need a lot more to have a real shot at contending in a couple years (particularly BP arms). Just like NFL drafts, some guys will pay off, some will be ok, some will be flat busts. We can't assume that our current crop of top 10 prospects will all work out, so I think we need to deppen our stock. I don't entirely have confidence either in Dipoto's ability to sign quality FAs in a couple years either (or if top FAs would actually want to come here) so I think our best chance is to develop from within.

    As such, I think we need to be even more aggressive sellers at the deadline than anticipated. I last read our farm rose from the bottom to average level, but we still have a ways to go to get to the Padres level of stock.

    For the tanking/rebuild mode, for every Cubs and Astros tank/title model there's of course the Reds, Marlins, White Sox, Orioles and others that failed or are still waiting. It was Dipoto's only play but watching the current piss poor product on the field is indeed difficult and at times maddening. I want to keep believing this will all pay off in a couple years but this organization and Dipoto's track record make it hard to be completely on board or optomistic. I do hope Crawford, Justus etc all do pay off though.



    Totally agree with this. My concern isnt the wins-losses, but are the prospects showing signs of being something bright for the future, and are the vets contributing individually where they can be offloaded for something of value. The tanking isn't intentional as much as it is a reflection of the imbalance of the player pool.. which is unfortunate but expected.

    It will be interesting in the next 3-12 months to see where they start to load up as these prospects start to make regular appearances on the big league rosters. I do think a re-evaluation of the farm would put it in the top 10. Nothing certain, for sure, but still more to hang on. I can see them taking on some intriguing arms through trade and FA to start to build that pool, then use the vast salary space they have to bring in big time FAs in 2021. The nice thing is, they will be trading from the main team and not the farm in acquiring talent in the near future.

    That's how i hope it plays out atleast. Team should be more competitive and balanced in some ways next season, then all-in by the following.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15929
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Wed May 22, 2019 5:08 pm
  • I highly recommend prospectinsider.com to keep up with the M’s prospects.
    They have daily recaps on how they did. The site is much easier to navigate then it used to be and the info is usually updated daily. Kelenic is staring to catch fire in A ball and I expect him to move up to upper A-ball at least by mid season.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 26141
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu May 23, 2019 9:18 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:I highly recommend prospectinsider.com to keep up with the M’s prospects.
    They have daily recaps on how they did. The site is much easier to navigate then it used to be and the info is usually updated daily. Kelenic is staring to catch fire in A ball and I expect him to move up to upper A-ball at least by mid season.



    I'll give it a look, even though i probably have no idea what they're talking about in terms of measurables.

    Here is LLs latest farm roundup

    https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2019/5/23/18635963/state-of-the-farm-5-23-19
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15929
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu May 30, 2019 7:51 pm
  • You know people don’t care when nobody posts in here for basically a week.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4164
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu May 30, 2019 8:08 pm
  • lol for the last week... i think I've turned the game in the 2nd-3rd innings. Not a fair-weather fan by any means... but its just bad baseball. Not fun to watch
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1438
    Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:33 pm
    Location: Sammamish Washington


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu May 30, 2019 8:41 pm
  • Many feel same ole Mariners.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 28621
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu May 30, 2019 8:56 pm
  • YK had a couple of good games in April. Now, always pitching from behind, giving up cheap homers and lots of runs. If he falls behind in the count, he can't put a quality strike across the plate and gets pounded.

    The errors don't help, either. :34853_doh:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17038
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu May 30, 2019 9:03 pm
  • sutz wrote:YK had a couple of good games in April. Now, always pitching from behind, giving up cheap homers and lots of runs. If he falls behind in the count, he can't put a quality strike across the plate and gets pounded.

    The errors don't help, either. :34853_doh:


    That can be said for any current pitcher on the Ms. they all stink. This team doesn’t look like it can win 60 games. They’ve taken more than just a step back.....a million steps back is more like it.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7552
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Fri May 31, 2019 9:01 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Many feel same ole Mariners.


    This is different.


    The team was designed to suck.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15929
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Fri May 31, 2019 11:47 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Many feel same ole Mariners.


    This is different.


    The team was designed to suck.


    Yup. The true suck has risen. Thank gawd it was well before the mid season break.

    THUD, that familiar sound of Mariner baseball.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34833
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 seasonl
Fri May 31, 2019 12:16 pm
  • Kelenic just got moved up to high-A after lighting up A ball so far.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 26141
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:57 am
  • Well, not a bad game by M's standards. Leake pitched well with a quality start. Relievers made it interesting, of course, but held on. Bruce hit HR 300 on his career, a 2 run bop that turned out to be the game winner. There were actually some defensive plays worth watching. Mallex Smith is coming around and looking like he may regain some of last year's form, when he hit almost .300 and stole a lot of bases. His trip down to Tacoma might just have worked out. He's been running down some balls in the outfield lately that not many could get to. Can't teach speed.

    Two pretty good games in one week. Who'd a thunk? :twisted:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17038
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:53 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Many feel same ole Mariners.


    This is different.


    The team was designed to suck.


    Yes ever since they Let Gillick and Piniella leave.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 28621
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:09 pm
  • Say goodbye to Jay Bruce?heavy trade rumors with Philly..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4806
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:41 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:Say goodbye to Jay Bruce?heavy trade rumors with Philly..

    He's been playing fairly well. Let's hope we get something good for him.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17038
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


PreviousNext


It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:34 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests