Mariners 2019 season

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:44 am
  • Anyone else going to the home opener today?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13755
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:46 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Looks like they are in mid-season form....getting shelled by the Padres the other night. :sarcasm_off:


    mid-season preseason form?


    If that is the case, then the Mariners are in mid-season preseason form for most of 162 regular season games. Look at their history and you can see how this franchise is one of the worst in all sports. They are the Cleveland Browns of the MLB. Hardly any good but when they do well, it's not good enough.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7549
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:21 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Looks like they are in mid-season form....getting shelled by the Padres the other night. :sarcasm_off:


    mid-season preseason form?


    If that is the case, then the Mariners are in mid-season preseason form for most of 162 regular season games. Look at their history and you can see how this franchise is one of the worst in all sports. They are the Cleveland Browns of the MLB. Hardly any good but when they do well, it's not good enough.



    Edgy

    Did you show up just to say that? Or do you have any original thoughts on the team in 2019?

    They wont be good this year. We all know.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:50 pm
  • Who’s idea was it to start baseball the same day as March madness?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4161
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:27 pm
  • Tim Beckham for MVP? Mariners to win the World Series? Ok just kidding.

    I always say that the Mariners do best when they have low expectations. If the bullpen can be decent, I don't see why this team can't be around 80 wins.

    Did they boo Arod when he got in the building? I actually really like him as an announcer. Still wouldn't mind if fans threw the monopoly cash.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4161
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:32 pm
  • Nice early lead against Sale. Our bullpen against their lineup will be a challenge to hold it. Let's see if Marco can go 6. Pitch count is a little high after 3.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17019
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:48 pm
  • How about that! 3-0 guys. :mrgreen:

    Bats were definitely working 5 home runs, 2 by Beckham. Knocked Sale out in 3. Kept scoring late in the game.

    Good way to start the season. :2thumbs:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17019
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:55 pm
  • My only complaint is the douchebag scorekeeper who scored Beckham's ground ball an error (plus A-Roid in the broadcasting booth).
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2267
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:48 am
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:I cant believe mariners took 3 of 4 vs boston. Lol



    Lol wow
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2514
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:50 am
  • These guys are surprising everyone, and rightfully so after that fire sale.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34793
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:56 am
  • Fielding gaffes aside, this team is nothing short of electric so far. Nice to see. The pen is somewhat messy, but that's been the case for the last few years. I'm not sure how to feel about this team yet, but I'm not one who thinks this season will be a complete disaster. However, this start has exceeded my expectations by a mile.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1620
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:05 am
    Location: Out here


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:28 am
  • Fielding and bullpen are already showing as problem areas going forward. Enjoying the games so far, though.

    Gotta love the long ball game they're putting together. Lot of good ABs.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17019
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:46 pm
  • The results are completely unexpected, but this is happening to all of MLB, particularly the AL. Just look at the standings and you would think they are upside down. Sox and Yankees at the bottom of the AL East. Astros and Angels at the bottom of the AL West. It's early, and the standings will even out, but for now enjoy the nice start.

    I'll be honest, I haven't watched much of the Mariners this season. If they keep it up I'll tune in. Anyone else surprised they stuck with the Kings Court? I thought we had seen the last of it.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4161
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:51 pm
  • Such an exciting and enjoyable start. The team by all accounts has great chemistry-lots of hungry guys with something to prove and they all reportedly get along. A very good lineup top to bottom so far.

    It's very early of course and the starting pitching may have overachieved with the bullpen the weakest link. And the defense is not good but I'll take guys that can flat mash in the lineup any day instead. Will be fun to watch.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2408
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:16 pm
  • Oof, this defense is not good.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10493
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:43 pm
  • Defense and bullpen is horrible. Easily could be 9 and 0 but will be 7 and 2.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2514
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:46 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Oof, this defense is not good.



    Dont think i've ever seen 3 errors by one player in a game in my time watching baseball. I've now seen a player commit 3 errors in one inning, twice, on the same team, in just 9 games.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:09 pm
  • It's what we knew coming out of spring. Defense and bullpen. What's up with Gearrin? I don't think he threw one pitch in the zone. Two walks and a hit batter in the same inning.

    :shock:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17019
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:13 pm
  • Bullpen is BRUTAL! Defense has been pretty shaky as well.. was it Moore who made 3 errors at 3rd the other night? Never seen anything like it. Guess it happened again today :pukeface: these guys can hit tho, hopefully they clean up the rest
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1437
    Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:33 pm
    Location: Sammamish Washington


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:51 pm
  • Our offense could be amongst the best in the AL but that damn bullpen could destroy the whole season.

    Servais and Jerry need to cone up with a plan quick because so far these are the only major league caliber relievers we have: Elias, Swarzak, Festa and Brennan. The rest are AAA quality at best. Gearin and Rosscup need to be gone immediately.

    The defense is poor but this lineup can overcome a couple errors a game. They can't overcome a completely overmatched, command lacking bullpen day after day.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2408
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Re: Mariners 2019 season
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:26 pm

Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:10 am
  • sutz wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Probably the time to remember that this season is about preparing for 2021.

    Dont be surprised to see veteran pitchers moved on by may/june for some the very good young arms in the system

    https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2019/4/4/18293951/state-of-the-farm-4-4-19-how-to-watch-milb-opening-day-what-to-watch-for-who-to-follow

    This ^^^

    Our hot start seems to have built up some false hope for this season. I don't think it'll be a 100 loss season or anything, but it won't be 95 wins either. There will be lots of transactions and people moving up and down from Tacoma all year, I suspect. ;)


    While we know "it's NOW time" is not the M's slogan this year, I do miss Diaz already. His dominance was the envy of everyone -- too bad the rest of the team suddenly became mediocre after the all star game.

    What is currently the best record in the league could quickly become one of the worst, though now that it appears they have some pretty decent bats, the offense will probably keep them slightly north of .500. I did find myself wondering, though, if the front office might have hit jackpot in certain key acquisitions this offseason that would enable the Ms to put up a lot more wins than anyone expected. But like everyone else is saying -- yeah, defense, pitching, and bullpen.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 909
    Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 7:52 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:35 am
  • I just don't see this team staying above .500 with how weak their fielding and pitching is. The hitting can only get you so far. As we saw last season, at some point the hitting will cool down.

    Of the guys on the roster now, who is suppose to be around in a few years when we are suppose to compete? I have trouble getting excited to watch when I know most these guys won't even be around that long.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4161
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:32 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I just don't see this team staying above .500 with how weak their fielding and pitching is. The hitting can only get you so far. As we saw last season, at some point the hitting will cool down.

    Of the guys on the roster now, who is suppose to be around in a few years when we are suppose to compete? I have trouble getting excited to watch when I know most these guys won't even be around that long.

    Right now it looks like Haniger, Kikuchi, and Gonzalez. Maybe a couple of others. There are several in the minors that are expected to be up this year or next like Lewis and Bishop.

    I expect them to be around .500 or so. Mostly trying to keep my eyes on the prospects as much as possible.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17019
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:18 pm
  • Lets assume the Mariners are out of contention by July, do they call up the prospects or keep them in the minors. From my understanding Crawford is the most ready, but would they call up Sheffield and Kelenic to get some experience in the majors? The big knock on Jack Z was that he brought up all the prospects too early.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4161
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:55 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Lets assume the Mariners are out of contention by July, do they call up the prospects or keep them in the minors. From my understanding Crawford is the most ready, but would they call up Sheffield and Kelenic to get some experience in the majors? The big knock on Jack Z was that he brought up all the prospects too early.

    I guess it depends on what kind of trades they work out and where the roster opens up.

    Encarnacion is expected to be moved before the break.

    Bruce is putting up some numbers.

    Leake might get moved, though I love his innings eating arm in the middle of the rotation.

    Crawford looked pretty good in spring, so he might be the first one up. They took Bishop to Japan to give him a couple of ABs against real pitching in real games. He might come up quickly if they move Santana, though Santana was born after 1990, so he might be here for a while.

    Seager is due back in June, though, so the infield might get a bit crowded. I'm sure we'll see all of them once the roster expands in Sept.

    Hey, no errors today! :irishdrinkers:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17019
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:13 pm
  • I wanna see how we are in july. If we are 15 games over and battling, id like to trade to make playoffs of doesn't kill us. Idc to hear about future as its anything possible.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2514
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:18 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:I wanna see how we are in july. If we are 15 games over and battling, id like to trade to make playoffs of doesn't kill us. Idc to hear about future as its anything possible.



    Whether you care or not... that would derail the whole process.

    The only thing that changes that is all these extensions being given to futire free agents the Ms had probably circled as available in a year or two.

    If the list gets shorter they may change gears and go after guys who are have more length on their contracts. That would require more capital, however
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:21 pm
  • I am liking the professional at bats I am seeing. We are having homers and walks. Guys working the pitchers raising their counts. Haven't seen that from a mariners team before. Good offense. I think as the team jells there will be less messy mistakes. Our pitching rotation wasn't that great last year. Its better this year. I also think with the depth it can be better.

    IMO we jumped on some guys likely getting little spring action.........Ill take an offensive team with errors over last years anemic offense any day. Its exciting.

    I think alot depends or hangs in the balance on the small or seemingly small decisions. Hernandez and his role as a 5th pitcher, The third base situation; is Seager done? Is Healy a better alternative? Moore vs Shed long.......which guys better compliment what we are building. I guess Im not used to having a potential farm system. Its all very exciting so many potential options.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3643
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:22 pm
    Location: Ich tu dir weh


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:12 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Lets assume the Mariners are out of contention by July, do they call up the prospects or keep them in the minors. From my understanding Crawford is the most ready, but would they call up Sheffield and Kelenic to get some experience in the majors? The big knock on Jack Z was that he brought up all the prospects too early.

    Kenelic is 2 years away. Long, Evan White, Crawford, and even Kyle Lewis I can see getting called up after the trade deadline or September. Sheffield should be up NOW.

    Kenelic only has played one season in rookie A-ball.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 26115
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:35 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Lets assume the Mariners are out of contention by July, do they call up the prospects or keep them in the minors. From my understanding Crawford is the most ready, but would they call up Sheffield and Kelenic to get some experience in the majors? The big knock on Jack Z was that he brought up all the prospects too early.

    Kenelic is 2 years away. Long, Evan White, Crawford, and even Kyle Lewis I can see getting called up after the trade deadline or September. Sheffield should be up NOW.

    Kenelic only has played one season in rookie A-ball.


    Crawford, Long, Swanson and Sheffield are the prospects probably closest to call ups
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:43 am
  • Justin Dunn might not be far behind..
    I like that rule 5 pickup-Brandon Brennan.
    We have some good pitchers..Some more
    are coming.I think the rebuild is happening
    faster than expected.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4792
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:01 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:Justin Dunn might not be far behind..
    I like that rule 5 pickup-Brandon Brennan.
    We have some good pitchers..Some more
    are coming.I think the rebuild is happening
    faster than expected.



    The pace of the rebuild depends on the plan. The issue is they wanted to save salary by going young over 2 years then going big into FA to add to these developing players.

    But that 2021 market is starting to dry up with these extensions. Will be interesting to see how the FO responds in August.

    As well as the team is playing right now, its really early and only a handful are projected going to be around in 2021.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:38 am
  • I don't care if there still in it in July they need to sell Seager, Edwin, Bruce, Leake and Felix if possible and keep stacking prospects. It would be very M's like to do this half ass.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3775
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:43 am
  • getnasty wrote:I don't care if there still in it in July they need to sell Seager, Edwin, Bruce, Leake and Felix if possible and keep stacking prospects. It would be very M's like to do this half ass.


    Exactly...

    And all those players (save maybe Leake) will be gone by August. Their replacements already active in AAA

    Felix may stay simply because noone wants him. But thats up to him.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:07 am
  • getnasty wrote:I don't care if there still in it in July they need to sell Seager, Edwin, Bruce, Leake and Felix if possible and keep stacking prospects. It would be very M's like to do this half ass.

    Don't get me wrong..
    I still want to "stock" the farm ect..I'm saying some these younger ones may
    be closer to ready than thought especially in pitching..
    At this point our GM looks like he knows what he is doing even though the
    moves seem odd-they still come out in our favor..
    I'm enjoying this season..First one in some time honestly.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4792
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:27 pm
  • I think I'm liking this almost more than home runs. Men on base, batters grinding out ABs, working the count and getting the pitch count up, hitting RBI singles, lather, rinse, repeat. :mrgreen:

    Of course, Vogie hitting a 3-RBI double is kind of nice, too. And we still have him at 2d as they change pitchers with 1 out in the 3rd.

    :irishdrinkers:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17019
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:52 pm
  • M's are teeing it off today..
    Offense wise this team is best (early) that
    I have seen ever I think..The record is
    reflecting it.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4792
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:01 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:M's are teeing it off today..
    Offense wise this team is best (early) that
    I have seen ever I think..The record is
    reflecting it.

    Enjoying it while it lasts! :snack:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17019
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:20 pm
  • Vogie just collected 2 more RBI with a shot to the right field bleachers. :mrgreen:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17019
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:56 pm
  • Another gem from LeBlanc. 6 complete, 2 runs, some scattered hits. Throwing like Jamie. Lots of junk, changes speeds, spots his pitches well. :2thumbs:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17019
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:21 pm
  • Man this bullpen lol the pen comes in and immediately gives up 3 runs.
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1437
    Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:33 pm
    Location: Sammamish Washington


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:54 pm
  • Ms going to be 9-2 after today. They easily would be 11 and 0 with a decent bullpen. That's crazy! Bullpen era is at 6.00.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2514
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:56 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:I wanna see how we are in july. If we are 15 games over and battling, id like to trade to make playoffs of doesn't kill us. Idc to hear about future as its anything possible.



    Whether you care or not... that would derail the whole process.

    The only thing that changes that is all these extensions being given to futire free agents the Ms had probably circled as available in a year or two.

    If the list gets shorter they may change gears and go after guys who are have more length on their contracts. That would require more capital, however



    Sure and if this team has a solid shot to make the playoffs and do well if they are buyers? Im all in. Their is no promise that in 2021 to 2025 we will be awesome.

    However this is so early so it doesn't matter to talk about this anyway right now.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2514
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:57 pm
  • Seahaaaawks wrote:Man this bullpen lol the pen comes in and immediately gives up 3 runs.

    There are 3 guys in that BP in the top of my head that
    Should not be in..Festa is one of those.
    We have pitchers in minors/IL that can fix the problem.
    Service time issue is likely the delay of bringing anyone up
    as you have to wait till almost May to avoid a wasted year
    counting against FA time ect.
    I can see Dunn,Shef and Swanson coming up this year.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4792
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:59 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    getnasty wrote:I don't care if there still in it in July they need to sell Seager, Edwin, Bruce, Leake and Felix if possible and keep stacking prospects. It would be very M's like to do this half ass.


    Exactly...

    And all those players (save maybe Leake) will be gone by August. Their replacements already active in AAA

    Felix may stay simply because noone wants him. But thats up to him.



    So if they are in it in july, you still want us to sell for hopes and wishes for 2021. (By in it i mean leading playoff race) That makes zero sense if you could make it now. You instead are relying for hopes and wishes instead.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2514
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:41 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    getnasty wrote:I don't care if there still in it in July they need to sell Seager, Edwin, Bruce, Leake and Felix if possible and keep stacking prospects. It would be very M's like to do this half ass.


    Exactly...

    And all those players (save maybe Leake) will be gone by August. Their replacements already active in AAA

    Felix may stay simply because noone wants him. But thats up to him.



    So if they are in it in july, you still want us to sell for hopes and wishes for 2021. (By in it i mean leading playoff race) That makes zero sense if you could make it now. You instead are relying for hopes and wishes instead.


    yes, you still sell.. because this team as it is will not beat the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox, etal, even if they can hang with them for a bit. Sure, maybe they are a 1st wild card over a barely above average Twins team or a struggling A's team.

    That's the mentality they tried the last two years and are now where they are. Repeating it doesnt make sense.

    If they are still in it in June,/july.. and riding the good performances of vet players, those player's assets are now worth more. Cash them in, promote the young players who should be the ones that can take the team places for the long term and restock the system with top tier young players.

    Thats how the Astros got to where they are.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:47 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    getnasty wrote:I don't care if there still in it in July they need to sell Seager, Edwin, Bruce, Leake and Felix if possible and keep stacking prospects. It would be very M's like to do this half ass.


    Exactly...

    And all those players (save maybe Leake) will be gone by August. Their replacements already active in AAA

    Felix may stay simply because noone wants him. But thats up to him.



    So if they are in it in july, you still want us to sell for hopes and wishes for 2021. (By in it i mean leading playoff race) That makes zero sense if you could make it now. You instead are relying for hopes and wishes instead.


    yes, you still sell.. because this team as it is will not beat the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox, etal, even if they can hang with them for a bit. Sure, maybe they are a 1st wild card over a barely above average Twins team or a struggling A's team.

    That's the mentality they tried the last two years and are now where they are. Repeating it doesnt make sense.

    If they are still in it in June,/july.. and riding the good performances of vet players, those player's assets are now worth more. Cash them in, promote the young players who should be the ones that can take the team places for the long term.

    That's actually an incentive for guys like Encarnacion and Bruce et al. If they do well for us, there's a chance they'll get traded to a legit contender at the deadline. I don't care what our record is at the half way point of the season. I want to stick with the program, which is to get our younger guys together so they can learn to play and succeed as a team. Usually, I'm not one to want to sell if there is any mathematical hope. This year, not so much. They have a plan and I'm buying in to it.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17019
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:49 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Exactly...

    And all those players (save maybe Leake) will be gone by August. Their replacements already active in AAA

    Felix may stay simply because noone wants him. But thats up to him.



    So if they are in it in july, you still want us to sell for hopes and wishes for 2021. (By in it i mean leading playoff race) That makes zero sense if you could make it now. You instead are relying for hopes and wishes instead.


    yes, you still sell.. because this team as it is will not beat the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox, etal, even if they can hang with them for a bit. Sure, maybe they are a 1st wild card over a barely above average Twins team or a struggling A's team.

    That's the mentality they tried the last two years and are now where they are. Repeating it doesnt make sense.

    If they are still in it in June,/july.. and riding the good performances of vet players, those player's assets are now worth more. Cash them in, promote the young players who should be the ones that can take the team places for the long term.

    That's actually an incentive for guys like Encarnacion and Bruce et al. If they do well for us, there's a chance they'll get traded to a legit contender at the deadline. I don't care what our record is at the half way point of the season. I want to stick with the program, which is to get our younger guys together so they can learn to play and succeed as a team. Usually, I'm not one to want to sell if there is any mathematical hope. This year, not so much. They have a plan and I'm buying in to it.



    yeah, i mean unless they are on a 116 win pace and leading the division by 10, you have to.

    Even then, i think you still move players like Bruce and Encarnacion on.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


PreviousNext


It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:27 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests