Mariners 2019 season

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Mariners 2019 season
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:28 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:Seager and Beckham gotta go. Both have been in the league for a good number of years yet haven't broke through yet. No point in keeping them around.

Beckham being gone is easy.

Seager not so much. He is owed 19 million in 2020, 18 million in 2021, and for 2022 has a player option for 15-20
    Million if he is traded. The Mariners would have to eat most of that if traded.

The Mariners hamstrung themselves when they signed him to a big long term long contract.
    You can thank Jack Z for that contract.

I want Seager gone as much as you, but it ain’t happening.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:11 am
  • Vogie makes the All Star Team. :irishdrinkers:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... star-team/

HOUSTON — Daniel Vogelbach was sent down to the minor leagues on five separate occasions last year. Sunday, the Mariners first baseman/designated hitter was named an American League All-Star reserve.

A rapid rise, for sure, for the 26-year-old, who has 20 home runs and 48 RBI in his first full major-league season. Vogelbach is the only Mariners representative for the July 9 All-Star Game in Cleveland.

“Being an All-Star was never really something in the back of my mind in those times,” Vogelbach said Sunday. “Just trying to get an opportunity to play was No. 1. I want to prove them (Mariners) right for giving me the opportunity.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:40 am
  • sutz wrote:Vogie makes the All Star Team. :irishdrinkers:

HOUSTON — Daniel Vogelbach was sent down to the minor leagues on five separate occasions last year. Sunday, the Mariners first baseman/designated hitter was named an American League All-Star reserve.

A rapid rise, for sure, for the 26-year-old, who has 20 home runs and 48 RBI in his first full major-league season. Vogelbach is the only Mariners representative for the July 9 All-Star Game in Cleveland.

“Being an All-Star was never really something in the back of my mind in those times,” Vogelbach said Sunday. “Just trying to get an opportunity to play was No. 1. I want to prove them (Mariners) right for giving me the opportunity.

Good for him! Though Santana should be there as well as the AL RBI leader.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:36 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Vogie makes the All Star Team. :irishdrinkers:

I agree. In fact, Vogey should just be in the HR Derby, not really the AS Game. There are better 1B/DH players out there. Oh well, it's about publicity more than actual playing anyway. I guess the Vogeybombs are getting a bit of play on the highlight shows, giving him press. Generally, there are many players out there that would deserve invitations to the AS Game that don't get to go. Vogey probably wouldn't be there either if they didn't have to bring in a Mariner, and there are several OF out there getting more props in the media than Santana.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:46 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Vogie makes the All Star Team. :irishdrinkers:

I agree. In fact, Vogey should just be in the HR Derby, not really the AS Game. There are better 1B/DH players out there. Oh well, it's about publicity more than actual playing anyway. I guess the Vogeybombs are getting a bit of play on the highlight shows, giving him press. Generally, there are many players out there that would deserve invitations to the AS Game that don't get to go. Vogey probably wouldn't be there either if they didn't have to bring in a Mariner, and there are several OF out there getting more props in the media than Santana.

Santana probably has a good chance as an injury replacement though.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:02 pm
  • There goes Scottie blowing another game. Fire this bum!
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:31 am
  • Santana should be our All Star
    Vog is a one trick pony.
    I love that Adams guy out of the BP
    can he start?
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:46 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:Santana should be our All Star
    Vog is a one trick pony.
    can he start?

Ummm....Santana is the worst outfielder in baseball speaking of 1 trick ponies. And Adams loaded the bases in the 9th his last outing.

People (Crizila) keep baming Servais, but holy shit, up 2 in the 9th and your 2 best relievers blow it. Yeah thats his fault.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:19 am
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Santana should be our All Star
    Vog is a one trick pony.
    can he start?

Ummm....Santana is the worst outfielder in baseball speaking of 1 trick ponies. And Adams loaded the bases in the 9th his last outing.

People (Crizila) keep baming Servais, but holy shit, up 2 in the 9th and your 2 best relievers blow it. Yeah thats his fault.

You’re right on Santana’s defense, but as a couple of days ago he was leading the AL in rbi.
    He is a very good hitter and if he played in the AS game it probably would be just to pinch hit anyhow.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:22 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Santana should be our All Star
    Vog is a one trick pony.
    can he start?

You’re right on Santana’s defense, but as a couple of days ago he was leading the AL in rbi.
    He is a very good hitter and if he played in the AS game it probably would be just to pinch hit anyhow.

A .240 hitter makes All Star just bugs me..I was thinking
    of DS hitting when I made the comment..Can he play 1B?I know
    both can DH..In reality do we have anyone that really is all star?
    I hate that rule like everyone deserves a trophy.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:40 pm
  • I hate this team so much.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:46 am
  • Mariners are a bad organization. Im always watching or listening and its tough. Im hoping we all get to see them bask in a world series title before we all die but who knows. They say its 2021 when we have a shot at the playoffs and that isnt a sure thing. I mean nothing is but they are trying for 2021. That means at least a 20 year drought. Ill be here no matter if its 60 wins or 110 wins but damn does this team pain me.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:21 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:Mariners are a bad organization. Im always watching or listening and its tough. Im hoping we all get to see them bask in a world series title before we all die but who knows. They say its 2021 when we have a shot at the playoffs and that isnt a sure thing. I mean nothing is but they are trying for 2021. That means at least a 20 year drought. Ill be here no matter if its 60 wins or 110 wins but damn does this team pain me.

Yeah it sucks to be a fan of such a shitty team. They DO have some good Talent in the minors (Kelenic, Lewis, Frahley etc etc). It just that most of that talent is AA or lower. Seattle didnt draft or develop talent well in the Bavasi, or Jack era’s thats why they had to scrap it and rebuild and why the team has been so bad for the last decade.

The need that Griffey or Edgar type of player, or close to that caliber to get the team going.
    Kelenic might be that guy, or real close to it.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:51 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:I hate this team so much.

Tonight won't help your mood
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:22 pm
  • 9-0 bad guys and were not out of the 2nd inning. Glad I missed it, but had to look it up on ESPN.
    Like someone that has too look at the car accident. DOH!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:08 pm
  • I’m pretty much done following the team until they can show they are a competent franchise. They’ve been irrelevant for nearly twenty years now. While the rebuild and prospects seem promising, we’ve watched this team rebuild and fail at it many times. I really enjoy baseball and follow MLB closely, just not the Mariners. How employees of the Mariners are able to spin optimism on this team is beyond me. Anytime Shannon Drayer comes on the radio you would think she is talking about the best team in baseball. I just wonder what it is like for guys like Kruger and Rizz who have to talk about this team in a positive light without just saying it how it is. They are the one of the worst, if not the worst MLB franchise.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:31 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I’m pretty much done following the team until they can show they are a competent franchise. They’ve been irrelevant for nearly twenty years now. While the rebuild and prospects seem promising, we’ve watched this team rebuild and fail at it many times. I really enjoy baseball and follow MLB closely, just not the Mariners. How employees of the Mariners are able to spin optimism on this team is beyond me. Anytime Shannon Drayer comes on the radio you would think she is talking about the best team in baseball. I just wonder what it is like for guys like Kruger and Rizz who have to talk about this team in a positive light without just saying it how it is. They are the one of the worst, if not the worst MLB franchise.

I totally get it. This franchise deserves losing its entire fan base the way they ran this team over the past 20 years.

My love of baseball is the reason I pay any attention to the team.
    I used to go to 25 games a year, I probably average 1 every 2 years now.

75% of this team should be in the minors if you look at BA and ERA.
    Probably at least that percentage will be gone by 2021. Most of these players on the team are “place holders” until the real talent is ready.

I’m trying to focus on the young studs they have in the minors. Now if they blow up and live up to their billing or will flame out time will tell. If this upcoming group fails or is mishandled I may be done then too, but by then I’ll have another team to focus on the Seattle NHL team. :)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:22 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I’m pretty much done following the team until they can show they are a competent franchise. They’ve been irrelevant for nearly twenty years now. While the rebuild and prospects seem promising, we’ve watched this team rebuild and fail at it many times. I really enjoy baseball and follow MLB closely, just not the Mariners. How employees of the Mariners are able to spin optimism on this team is beyond me. Anytime Shannon Drayer comes on the radio you would think she is talking about the best team in baseball. I just wonder what it is like for guys like Kruger and Rizz who have to talk about this team in a positive light without just saying it how it is. They are the one of the worst, if not the worst MLB franchise.

You just got there? I've been here since the Hawks won XLVIII. I refuse to give anything to a team that gives me nothing.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:42 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:9-0 bad guys and were not out of the 2nd inning. Glad I missed it, but had to look it up on ESPN.

And a 13-0 No hit loss...

Officially hit bottom
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:22 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:9-0 bad guys and were not out of the 2nd inning. Glad I missed it, but had to look it up on ESPN.

Officially hit bottom

Yup. I find no compelling reason to watch any more this year.

I understand that this is a complete, long overdue, teardown but it is painful to watch.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:28 am
  • acer1240 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:9-0 bad guys and were not out of the 2nd inning. Glad I missed it, but had to look it up on ESPN.

Officially hit bottom

I understand that this is a complete, long overdue, teardown but it is painful to watch.

on top of how poor it is on a near daily basis, the manager (who is replaceable) leaves no positive mark on the team.

a no-hitter... and a 7 run 1st inning. I get it was an emotional night for LAA... but a Mariner would've swung and missed at the ceremonial first pitch
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:42 pm
  • And now the rangers with their rookie manager are on a roll.

Mariners have no identity. The game is changing too. Ms wanted to build a fast , single happy team but the way the game is changing it's all about home runs and extra base hits again. Servais cannot balance the team....Ms lead the league in walks but also lead the league in strikeouts and errors. The opener experiment is a disaster.

As for last night I'm glad the Ms were no hit. That was the Angels night on a emotional day.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:55 pm
  • Leake's trade value takes a hit, give up 13 and are no hit. Rough start to the 2nd half to say the least.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:10 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:

Officially hit bottom

Yes, sir they have.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:11 pm
  • acer1240 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Officially hit bottom

Agree.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:29 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:I hate this team so much.

Tonight won't help your mood

It did not.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:58 pm
  • A weekend celebration of one of the best players in team history going into the Hall of Fame is coming up, and it looks like the team is going to completely embarrass themselves and our city.

:34853_doh:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:22 pm
  • sutz wrote:A weekend celebration of one of the best players in team history going into the Hall of Fame is coming up, and it looks like the team is going to completely embarrass themselves and our city.

I think it’s past that point. IMHO they can’t even lose right. They only have the 5th worst record if my calculations are correct.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:08 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:A weekend celebration of one of the best players in team history going into the Hall of Fame is coming up, and it looks like the team is going to completely embarrass themselves and our city.

I think it’s past that point. IMHO they can’t even lose right. They only have the 5th worst record if my calculations are correct.

The M's record of rising to moments like what's happening Sunday is not good, IIRC.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:21 pm
  • They are so bad, nobody really cares. Fans were more upset with their huge second half collapse from last season than what is happening now.

At what point does the front office say scrap it all, rename the team and start completely new. They basically have 40 years of empty history. All they have to show is Griffey, the 1995 team and the 2011 team. This franchise needs a complete rebuild, and I'm not even talking about the guys on the team.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:26 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:A weekend celebration of one of the best players in team history going into the Hall of Fame is coming up, and it looks like the team is going to completely embarrass themselves and our city.

The M's record of rising to moments like what's happening Sunday is not good, IIRC.

Understand the frustration as Infeel the same, this team is painful to watch. They are boring AF.
    This is what a rebuilding looks like. It’s an ugly process. This year will continue to suck and next year will probably only slightly be better. But next year the “pieces” will start coming up and we’ll see glimpses of the future.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:38 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:They are so bad, nobody really cares. Fans were more upset with their huge second half collapse from last season than what is happening now.

At what point does the front office say scrap it all, rename the team and start completely new. They basically have 40 years of empty history. All they have to show is Griffey, the 1995 team and the 2011 team. This franchise needs a complete rebuild, and I'm not even talking about the guys on the team.

Agree with most of your post. Outside of a seven year stretch, 1995-2002 this M’s team and organization is hot garbage.
    Outside of firing SS and Dipoto, they pretty much have scrapped it all.

I’m not really sold on SS as manager, and think he’ll be kicked “up stairs” in the next year or so, but he is working with a severe lack of talent.

Would love for Seattle to get current Cubs manager Joe Madden when his contract expires. They need a firey manager that has a track record of success.

The M’s only had a really good seven year run 1995-2002, basically the Griffey, Edgar, Buhner, RJ, teams.
    The rest of the seasons have been pretty terrible.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:39 pm
  • When you look at the amount of talent on those teams in that 7 year run, several hall of famers and future hall of famers with some good suppoting pieces, they should have had far more succes than they did. Griffey, Edgar, Big Unit, A-Rod, Buhner...those teams were stacked and they couldnt evem make it to a single World Series.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:44 pm
  • Wow! Leake with a CG shutout. Perfect through 8. Finishes with a K to Trout.

10-0
    Guess I was wrong.

:irishdrinkers:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:54 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:When you look at the amount of talent on those teams in that 7 year run, several hall of famers and future hall of famers with some good suppoting pieces, they should have had far more succes than they did. Griffey, Edgar, Big Unit, A-Rod, Buhner...those teams were stacked and they couldnt evem make it to a single World Series.

True.
    Reminds me of the ‘83-‘86ish Hawks teams that were loaded and didn’t get to the Super Bowl.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 pm
  • sutz wrote:Wow! Leake with a CG shutout. Perfect through 8. Finishes with a K to Trout.

10-0
    Guess I was wrong.

Yeah he was dealing. Kind of a seeing eye single too.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:30 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Wow! Leake with a CG shutout. Perfect through 8. Finishes with a K to Trout.

10-0
    Guess I was wrong.

Yeah he was dealing. Kind of a seeing eye single too.

It goes both ways. Trout lined out to Seagar and to Crawford. Hard man to put an ofer on. :)

Nice to see the Vogie-bombs, too. :2thumbs:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:49 am
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:When you look at the amount of talent on those teams in that 7 year run, several hall of famers and future hall of famers with some good suppoting pieces, they should have had far more succes than they did. Griffey, Edgar, Big Unit, A-Rod, Buhner...those teams were stacked and they couldnt evem make it to a single World Series.

Besides Unit..Hard to remember the pitchers.
    It was the big weakness and reason why.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:05 am
  • Leake should and will be traded before his next start. What a complete 180 from his last start but still thats got to hurt losing a perfect game that late.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:51 am
  • Told the wife that a guy for the Mariners almost pitched a perfect game last night and that it's a very rare feat. Her comment was "Did they win?".

Says it all about this franchise.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:24 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Told the wife that a guy for the Mariners almost pitched a perfect game last night and that it's a very rare feat. Her comment was "Did they win?".

Says it all about this franchise.

Lmaooooo
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:19 pm
  • That play JP Crawford made was among the best I've ever seen. Holy Shit.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:23 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:That play JP Crawford made was among the best I've ever seen. Holy Shit.

Truth. Absolute beauty. Anybody who missed it should watch the highlight shows. They'll be showing that one for a while.

Nice walkoff RBI single by Mallex, too.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:19 pm
  • The streak ends at 107 games played with at least one HR by either team. :irishdrinkers:

But 8-1 over the Tigers. Ryan Court has his major league start with 2 hits and an RBI. :irishdrinkers:

4 game win streak. Who'd a thunk?
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:55 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:That play JP Crawford made was among the best I've ever seen. Holy Shit.

Yeah, that was an outstanding play, both the stop and the blind throw.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:16 pm
  • Whadyaknow, they can sweep the worst team in the league. :irishdrinkers:

:mrgreen:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:23 pm
  • sutz wrote:Whadyaknow, they can sweep the worst team in the league. :irishdrinkers:

:mrgreen:

Moore had a heck of a read on the game winning bloop single.
    Alert base running is a lost art in MLB today.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:05 pm
  • 6 game win streak. Actually looking more like a real baseball team. :mrgreen:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:13 am
  • Hopefully somewhat decent next yr. Then lets see 2021.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:28 am
  • We should see some of those hot prospects we got in the fire sale come September. Looking forward to that. :snack:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information