Mariners 2019 season

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Mariners 2019 season
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:21 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Kyle Lewis goes yard in his 2nd MLB AB. :2thumbs:

And tonight...

That's pretty damn Mariners right there.

Manages to break up a no hitter in the 7th with a 3 run homer (yeah... 3 runs)

Yeah, weird that our first 4 base runners were without hits. Gotta love Lewis. Kid came to play.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:18 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

And tonight...

Yeah, weird that our first 4 base runners were without hits. Gotta love Lewis. Kid came to play.

KL was a 5 tool prospect coming out of college, before his horrendous knee injury a couple of years ago.
    Nice to see a lot hard work and perseverance paying off for the young man. I’m glad his family was there to witness 2 great nights for him.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:19 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:KL was a 5 tool prospect coming out of college, before his horrendous knee injury a couple of years ago.
    Nice to see a lot hard work and perseverance paying off for the young man. I’m glad his family was there to witness 2 great nights for him.

Well said and kudos to Lewis
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:48 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

And tonight...

KL was a 5 tool prospect coming out of college, before his horrendous knee injury a couple of years ago.

3 in 3
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:17 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    And tonight...

3 in 3

The kid is on fire!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:22 pm
  • Still the mariners though
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:06 pm
  • Kikuchi needs a reliable out pitch. And he needs to learn how to finish.

Too many two strike and two out hits.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:35 am
  • sutz wrote:Kikuchi needs a reliable out pitch. And he needs to learn how to finish.

He’s been pretty bad outside of that 2 hit shut out CG in Toronto.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:51 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Kikuchi needs a reliable out pitch. And he needs to learn how to finish.

He’s been pretty bad outside of that 2 hit shut out CG in Toronto.

I actually think he's had 2 or 3 good starts this year. But mostly, yeah, he's been pretty pedestrian. He still shows good stuff, but can't seem to control his pitches well enough to keep them out of the power zone.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:05 pm
  • Sheffield is pitching a gem. 8 K's through 4. :irishdrinkers:

(Please don't be a jinx :pray: )

:laugh:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:16 pm
  • sutz wrote:Sheffield is pitching a gem. 8 K's through 4. :irishdrinkers:

(Please don't be a jinx :pray: )

:laugh:

Well, at least they came through with another clutch win!
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:55 pm
  • Lewis belongs in Seattle next season along with the 2 catchers.
    I'm not sure who else on offense I'd keep?Nola?
    Pitching is different ..A few arms I'd want to stay.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:26 pm
  • Gonzalez with a leadoff double in the 5th. Scores on a Shed Long single.

:irishdrinkers:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:05 pm
  • Well, at least they're beating up on the teams worse than them. :)

Swept Pittsburgh, now headed to Baltimore for three. Should win at least two there.

Last home series is a killer though. 2 with Houston, 4 with Oakland. Be lucky to get 2 out of that mess.

But at least we won't lose 100 games this year.

:)
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:13 pm
  • sutz wrote:Well, at least they're beating up on the teams worse than them. :)

Swept Pittsburgh, now headed to Baltimore for three. Should win at least two there.

Last home series is a killer though. 2 with Houston, 4 with Oakland. Be lucky to get 2 out of that mess.

If you can take anything away from 2019, at least you got Kyle Lewis some MLB AB’s and success.
    They need to start bringing up more “future” next year from AA. Kelenic and White should be up next year at some point.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:29 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Well, at least they're beating up on the teams worse than them. :)

If you can take anything away from 2019, at least you got Kyle Lewis some MLB AB’s and success.
    They need to start bringing up more “future” next year from AA. Kelenic and White should be up next year at some point.

It hurts, but I kind of like that they're being patient with the young guys. We've screwed up a few good players in the past by rushing them to the bigs. Dunn was better in his 2d start. Maybe he gets 2 more this year.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:38 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:

I'd like to see them supplement with some good, young talented FAs.

I think that was their plan, but the market crashed when guys started getting extended.

Interesting off-season coming up
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:53 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

I'd like to see them supplement with some good, young talented FAs.

I think that was their plan, but the market crashed when guys started getting extended.

Interesting off-season coming up

If you listen to DiPoto, this is in the plan, but we're a year or more off from going that direction. For one thing, all the contract dollars we've cleared off the books won't really kick in until next year, so we're still weighed down by the big salaries we moved this year. That gets better after 2020.

Also, I noticed a clip/interview a month or so ago about how they are trying to manage the young guys. Basically, they are trying to get 3-4 of them, at least, playing together for a full season or two at AA and maybe AAA and them bring them up more or less simultaneously, so they know each other well and have experience playing together. Makes sense to me.

It really looks like they have a real plan, not just a reactive hodge-podge of trying to throw a bunch of pieces together and expect to win a lot of games. Until we get the youthful core up to the M's together, it's kind of wasteful to blow a lot of bucks on FA. Even then, they need to concentrate on actual value on the field, and not just big names to attract fans based on marquis value. Like you say, relatively young FAs that have future value as well as name recognition.

I'd expect for the near future that they'll use FA money on keeping the bullpen afloat, and not spending a lot on position players.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:28 am
  • I do, however, think their timetable has been impacted by the number of upcoming FAs who have already signed extensions (something that was, up to this year, fairly rare in baseball)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:55 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I do, however, think their timetable has been impacted by the number of upcoming FAs who have already signed extensions (something that was, up to this year, fairly rare in baseball)

You may be right, but I don't think they're ready right now anyway. Perhaps they will play a little, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are really quiet this offseason in any but the pitching staff. Probably time to work a bit on that, but they drafted 22 of them or so this year. Need to see if any of them pan out.

IMO, they definitely don't want to spend on a big name FA at a position where we have top flight prospects coming up in the near future. Crawford seems to be working out at SS, at least defensively. Certainly, Lewis is the future and Kelenic. They haven't given up on Haniger yet, but if he misses another season, they probably will move on.

YK had a sketchy first season, but we have to give him more time, of course. A lot invested there. Gonzales looks like a solid 15 win guy going forward, and Dunn may have a future. We've actually found some avg to avg+ guys in the bullpen. Will be interesting if they keep some of them around.

Gotta love our catcher situation. Both guys are decent glove/solid bat guys. Wouldn't mind that duo sticking around, with Nola as the 3rd guy and utility infielder. Pretty stacked there.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:14 pm
  • Lewis is 2-2 with a homerun and a double. “Batting Practice Felix” has shown up.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:29 pm
  • Was Felix considered an automatic bid for the Hall Of Fame a few years ago? Is he playing himself out of Cooperstown? Would be an interesting discussion.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:35 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Was Felix considered an automatic bid for the Hall Of Fame a few years ago? Is he playing himself out of Cooperstown? Would be an interesting discussion.

Not sure about that but in his prime he was one of the best pitchers in MLB.
    That’s when he was losing games 1-0, and 2-1 all of the time because Seattle couldn’t score any runs.
    Then once they had an offense, he lost velocity on his fastball and started getting lit up.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:40 pm
  • OF
    Lewis
    Haniger
    Smith

3b- Seager
    2b- Long
    SS- Crawford
    1b- White

C-Narvaez and Murphy (one of these guys will be trade bait at some point)

DH- Santana (4th OF also)
    Utility- Nola

Trade Gordon and Healy if you can. Not sure what you do with Vogey, as much as I love the guy, after his hot start he did nothing but hit a few bombs.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:30 am
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:OF
    Lewis
    Haniger
    Smith

3b- Seager
    2b- Long
    SS- Crawford
    1b- White

Utility- Nola

Trade Gordon and Healy if you can. Not sure what you do with Vogey, as much as I love the guy, after his hot start he did nothing but hit a few bombs.

I think this club looks a ton different in 2020 and 2021. I can see them trading Haniger at some point in the next year or 2 for pitching, as your outfield will be Lewis, Kelenic and Julio Ramirez (2021). I love Haniger as a player but unless you plan
    On him as the DH or rotate him and the above mentioned young OF’s at DH there isn’t an OF position for him.

Plus you have White and other players that are at AA now that might be solid contributors.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:17 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:OF
    Lewis
    Haniger
    Smith

3b- Seager
    2b- Long
    SS- Crawford
    1b- White

Utility- Nola

I think this club looks a ton different in 2020 and 2021. I can see them trading Haniger at some point in the next year or 2 for pitching, as your outfield will be Lewis, Kelenic and Julio Ramirez (2021). I love Haniger as a player but unless you plan
    On him as the DH or rotate him and the above mentioned young OF’s at DH there isn’t an OF position for him.

Plus you have White and other players that are at AA now that might be solid contributors.

Vogey is a one trick pony..Haniger is hurt too much(trade)Love Lewis..The bat speed and balls
    exit velo is off the charts..Long looks pretty good at leadoff..Seager can we trade?
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:57 pm
  • I believe Seager's contract is up at the end of this season?
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:01 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:I believe Seager's contract is up at the end of this season?

Nope. Signed through 2021 with a $15Mil team option in 22, which flips to a player option if we trade him. A lot of teams won't trade into that. Possible, but unlikely.

And all $100 mill is guaranteed.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/seattle-mar ... ager-8618/
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:24 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:I believe Seager's contract is up at the end of this season?

Nope. Signed through 2021 with a $15Mil team option in 22, which flips to a player option if we trade him. A lot of teams won't trade into that. Possible, but unlikely.

Wow, 2021. Holy hell!
    Well he's a 3B for 2 more seasons. Not tradable as you mentioned. At least he started going the other way against the shift at times this year so trying to improve.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:25 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:I believe Seager's contract is up at the end of this season?

Wow, 2021. Holy hell!
    Well he's a 3B for 2 more seasons. Not tradable as you mentioned. At least he started going the other way against the shift at times this year so trying to improve.
    Thanks for clarifying.

He's actually been hitting pretty well since the all star break.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:13 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:OF
    Lewis
    Haniger
    Smith

3b- Seager
    2b- Long
    SS- Crawford
    1b- White

Utility- Nola

Haniger is a trade deadline move guy. His value is low right now, he needs a good first half 2020 to get anything decent out of him.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:16 pm
  • End of a era tomorrow. Felix last game as a mariner.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:24 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:End of a era tomorrow. Felix last game as a mariner.

Where do you out Felix on all time Mariners list?

2? 3?

Is he top 5?

I think I'd go:

Junior
    Ichiro
    Felix
    Edgar
    Randy

Maybe next 3: Arod, Al Davis, Bones
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:57 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:End of a era tomorrow. Felix last game as a mariner.

Where do you out Felix on all time Mariners list?

2? 3?

Is he top 5?

I think I'd go:

Junior
    Ichiro
    Felix
    Edgar
    Randy

Maybe next 3: Arod, Al Davis, Bones

Tough question. Felix, much like Tez for the Hawks, was probably the best player on a bad team for a long time.

The others on your list actually had some team support. Felix is probably top 2-3 pitcher, after only The Big Unit maybe.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:54 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:End of a era tomorrow. Felix last game as a mariner.

So does that pretty much guarantee they end the season 1-18 vs the Stros?
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:05 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:End of a era tomorrow. Felix last game as a mariner.

So does that pretty much guarantee they end the season 1-18 vs the Stros?

Gonzales might be our only pitcher that could change that, but even that would be pretty low percentage.

:|
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:39 pm
  • I hate the Astros
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:45 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:I hate the Astros

Yeah. Life's not fair. At least we broke up the no-no.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:12 am
  • sutz wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I hate the Astros

Yeah. Life's not fair. At least we broke up the no-no.

Glad I forgot it was on.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:17 am
  • The run differential agaisnt the Astors this year has to be some kind of record agaisnt 1 opponent. I feel like we got no hit against or shutout ever other game.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:11 am
  • Likely Felix's last game as a Mariner is today. Wouldn't shock me if throws a gem, also wouldn't shock me if he gets lit up like he has all season long.

Was just thinking to myself the other day, a lot of parallels between Felix and Eli Manning. Both were loved by their city and fan base for a long time, but both over stayed their welcome to the point where fans turned on them.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:31 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Likely Felix's last game as a Mariner is today. Wouldn't shock me if throws a gem, also wouldn't shock me if he gets lit up like he has all season long.

Was just thinking to myself the other day, a lot of parallels between Felix and Eli Manning. Both were loved by their city and fan base for a long time, but both over stayed their welcome to the point where fans turned on them.

The Mariners wasted Felix’s prime by not putting any kind of team around him. That’s an epic failure on the organization’s part.

Once Felix lost fastball velocity he was toast. His refusal to “pitch backwards” and to not rely on his now below average “batting practice” fastball is the main reason he has struggled the past few years. If he would have embraced the Jamie Moyer mindset to pitching he could be having success right now. Stubbornness is costing him current success.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:25 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Likely Felix's last game as a Mariner is today. Wouldn't shock me if throws a gem, also wouldn't shock me if he gets lit up like he has all season long.

The Mariners wasted Felix’s prime by not putting any kind of team around him. That’s an epic failure on the organization’s part.

Once Felix lost fastball velocity he was toast. His refusal to “pitch backwards” and to not rely on his now below average “batting practice” fastball is the main reason he has struggled the past few years. If he would have embraced the Jamie Moyer mindset to pitching he could be having success right now. Stubbornness is costing him current success.

All mostly true. I'm not so sure that fans have actually turned on Felix. There will probably be a pretty large King's Court contingent there tonight. There's still a lot of nostalgia for him.

Felix had a decent outing a couple of turns ago. But he seems to forget that he can't blow his fastball past people from time to time and gets lit up. Plus, he never had really good control, so trying to pitch backwards is hard for him. He can't really paint corners reliably. A big part of the problem is the huge contract the previous front office gave him which finally runs out this year. For better or worse, Servais and DiPoto want to move on and you can't blame them.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:20 pm
  • 1-18 vs. Houston
    FFS
    If they get homefield in the playoffs and it leads to a WS win they ought to send partial shares to the Ms players.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:28 pm
  • Another superstar deserving a WS ruined by the Mariners
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:09 pm
  • Man that was emotional. Thank u felix.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:01 pm
  • 4 hits... quite a fitting farewell
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:13 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:4 hits... quite a fitting farewell

Look on the bright side, that doubled the number from the night before. 8)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:21 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:4 hits... quite a fitting farewell

Maintaining tradition. Felix was the king of 1 run games, right? :34853_doh:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:43 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:4 hits... quite a fitting farewell

Maintaining tradition. Felix was the king of 1 run games, right? :34853_doh:

In his prime, yes. Never seen a pitcher get so screwed after pitching a gem because his team couldn’t push across a couple of runs. Lots of losses and ND that should have been W’s.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:30 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information