NBA Lottery

HawkGA

Reaction score
After having watched footage of the lottery when the Knicks were able to get Ewing, I'm certainly a believer in a certain amount of steering in sports. That said, the Pelicans getting the right to draft Zion and the Knicks coming in third certainly couldn't have involved any steering (or at least not successful steering).

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2674 ... -no-1-pick

mistaowen

Reaction score
Might be thanks to Davis giving up on the season and then taking off, though Pelicans aren't exactly a sexy option for Zion.

CPHawk

Reaction score
mistaowen":3k9eypm5 said:
Might be thanks to Davis giving up on the season and then taking off, though Pelicans aren't exactly a sexy option for Zion.

Why do you say that? He doesn't want to play in a big market.

knownone

Reaction score
Are we sure this wasn’t steering though? The Lakers had a 2% chance of getting a top 4 pick. In a year where they absolutely need to surround LeBron but didn’t have the assets to make a reasonable trade for an established star.

The Pelicans were tampered with the entire year, and some how land the #1 pick with the 8th best odds.

I’m going to don my conspiratorial hat and say this was the perfect way to rig the lottery while pretending you didn’t. Throw Ewing on stage to bring back previous lottery rigging memories, subvert expectations by having the pick go to the team everyone felt bad for all season. Meanwhile, we’ve known since February that KD and Kyrie are going to the Knicks. The league has given the Lakers the assets to the entice the Pelicans into trading Davis which they can afford to do because they now have Zion...

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Largent80":3mxpkc2e said:
They should do scratch offs. It would be more exciting to the 3 fans of the NBA.

They should do the ping pong balls live like they used to.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I hate how some are saying the Pelicans "don't deserve Zion". If they don't, then who does? The Knicks? The Lebrons? Whatever. New York City is pissing and moaning about not getting Zion, and acting like they should have. Now all the NY media pundits and NYP articles are coming out about ways the Knicks can still get him. What a bunch of sore losers. And LA? Please. LeBron and friends created that mess. They need to own it.

There is no rigging. It's a lottery. You can't win if you don't play. Nothing is guaranteed for anyone. It's a game of chance.

And as for New Orleans, well this is their chance to rebuild the right way this time. As a long time fan, I'm extremely excited to see where this will go. It's hard to fault Dell Demps during the last disaster, but I'm going to anyway. He was following Benson's orders to "win now". So he attempted to jumpstart that by throwing almost literally all of his draft capital away in trades for "young vets". The problem was that some of the big name"young vets" either didn't have the right attitude (Eric Gordon), got stuck in a logjam at their position (Tyreek Evans), or were just a plain mistake (Omer Asik). Demps dug himself into a hole early, and continued to make it worse with moves like signing the turd Solomon Hill to a huge contract and essentially trading 3 first round picks to aquire Cousins who had was up for a new contract. The trade for Mirotic was actually good, but Demps again paid the price of a first round pick to get him to chase a playoff spot. Mirotic only lasted a year in NOLA, as Demps traded him to Milwaukee at the deadline for 4 2nd round picks. And in order to get himself out of some of his big misses, he had to throw away more first round picks into trade packages to do so. He was a mess.

And the narrative about New Orleans "the first 7 years" of Anthony Davis' career is false. Sure, they could've done a better job of building around him, but a lot of it falls on Davis himself. He's not a winner. He doesn't have that alpha killer instinct. He had some decent players around, but he's the one who let Draymond Green dominate him in both the 2014 playoffs and last year. He's a far superior player, but didn't step up. He never embraced being the face of the franchise. A lot of New Orleans' problems over the time he's been there can be put in Davis' shoulders, no matter how unpopular that may seem.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":30bby9rs said:
Largent80":30bby9rs said:
They should do scratch offs. It would be more exciting to the 3 fans of the NBA.

They should do the ping pong balls live like they used to.

I didn't watch. What do they do now?

knownone

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":32mddvdo said:
And the narrative about New Orleans "the first 7 years" of Anthony Davis' career is false. Sure, they could've done a better job of building around him, but a lot of it falls on Davis himself. He's not a winner. He doesn't have that alpha killer instinct. He had some decent players around, but he's the one who let Draymond Green dominate him in both the 2014 playoffs and last year. He's a far superior player, but didn't step up. He never embraced being the face of the franchise. A lot of New Orleans' problems over the time he's been there can be put in Davis' shoulders, no matter how unpopular that may seem.
Davis averaged 28PPG / 15TRB / 2STL / 2BLK against the Warriors last year. What more do you want from the guy?

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
knownone":22bxx3np said:
Thepeelsessions":22bxx3np said:
Davis averaged 28PPG / 15TRB / 2STL / 2BLK against the Warriors last year. What more do you want from the guy?
It's not about stats. Everybody knows he puts up big numbers. His attitude is the problem. He's made made it clear he doesn't want to work to help build NO into a contender. And he's pretty much made it clear that he wants to go to the bright lights of LA to ride the jock of LeBron and the proverbial jock of his agent, Rich Paul.

He didn't need to come out and make good stupid test request public. The Pelicans were still in the playoff hunt at the all-star break when the news broke. He threw a wrench in that team and derailed the rest of the season. It was a punk move. And honestly, I'd love to see New Orleans maximize all this leverage they have, not that they hold the right to draft Williamson. That opens the door to get basically anything they want for Davis in a trade. That will give them a promising future to build young, with tons of future draft capital and young, cheap, up and coming talent.

knownone

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":i9o13r7u said:
knownone":i9o13r7u said:
Thepeelsessions":i9o13r7u said:
It's not about stats. Everybody knows he puts up big numbers. His attitude is the problem. He's made made it clear he doesn't want to work to help build NO into a contender. And he's pretty much made it clear that he wants to go to the bright lights of LA to ride the jock of LeBron and the proverbial jock of his agent, Rich Paul.

He didn't need to come out and make good stupid test request public. The Pelicans were still in the playoff hunt at the all-star break when the news broke. He threw a wrench in that team and derailed the rest of the season. It was a punk move. And honestly, I'd love to see New Orleans maximize all this leverage they have, not that they hold the right to draft Williamson. That opens the door to get basically anything they want for Davis in a trade. That will give them a promising future to build young, with tons of future draft capital and young, cheap, up and coming talent.
Here's the thing, I don't disagree with you on his attitude. He could have and should have handled things better.

However, you can't ignore the fact that the Pelicans have been a disaster of a franchise since drafting Davis. Davis has played with 2 other all-stars in his 7 years in the league. One of those players, Boogie Cousins, played 1 year with Davis and you really couldn't play them together effectively because they play the same position. The other guy is Jrue Holiday, he's made the all-star team once in his 10 year career. That's the cream of the crop for Davis's supporting cast in 7 years in the league.

Their front office signed bench rotation players Solomon Hill, and Omer Asik to massive contracts. And they traded their best young asset in his rookie season to rent Cousins for a year. They went full win now mode by trading all of their picks and young assets while signing guys who were not only bad roster fits... they weren't even good players.

Davis and his representatives acted like entitled morons with how they tried to force a trade. But you can't argue that he's in the wrong for wanting out of NOLA. Davis is one of the 3 most talented players in the league and they've only made the playoffs twice. That's not a player issue.

mrt144

Reaction score
knownone":2xmrnt0g said:
Thepeelsessions":2xmrnt0g said:
knownone":2xmrnt0g said:
Thepeelsessions":2xmrnt0g said:

Here's the thing, I don't disagree with you on his attitude. He could have and should have handled things better.

However, you can't ignore the fact that the Pelicans have been a disaster of a franchise since drafting Davis. Davis has played with 2 other all-stars in his 7 years in the league. One of those players, Boogie Cousins, played 1 year with Davis and you really couldn't play them together effectively because they play the same position. The other guy is Jrue Holiday, he's made the all-star team once in his 10 year career. That's the cream of the crop for Davis's supporting cast in 7 years in the league.

Their front office signed bench rotation players Solomon Hill, and Omer Asik to massive contracts. And they traded their best young asset in his rookie season to rent Cousins for a year. They went full win now mode by trading all of their picks and young assets while signing guys who were not only bad roster fits... they weren't even good players.

Davis and his representatives acted like entitled morons with how they tried to force a trade. But you can't argue that he's in the wrong for wanting out of NOLA. Davis is one of the 3 most talented players in the league and they've only made the playoffs twice. That's not a player issue.

I think this goes further up the pipe to asking "Just how competitive do we want players to be and in what ways?"

For some it feels like trying to stack the deck for the team outcome is not the type of competitive they like, but the fan idea of competitive is 'suffer with terrible teammates and a front office that doesn't care and if it doesn't work, it's actually your fault for not being better'.

I mean, that's how a lot of it comes across, like it's Davis' fault for not just eating shit for 7 years of his career and being good enough to compensate.

Threedee

Reaction score
I wish Howard Schultz, Clay Bennett and the OKC executives had to play the lottery in the style of Shirley Jackson.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
The NBA is still dead to me but since the wife is a basketball fan, I follow a bit more than before. One thing I've never understood is why they don't do the draft like the NFL, going from worst record to best. That creates the parity we see in the NFL, and would do more for parity in the NBA.

Anyone have a non-insane reason for why they do that stupid lottery instead of a normal draft?

Threedee

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":39owa658 said:
The NBA is still dead to me but since the wife is a basketball fan, I follow a bit more than before. One thing I've never understood is why they don't do the draft like the NFL, going from worst record to best. That creates the parity we see in the NFL, and would do more for parity in the NBA.

Anyone have a non-insane reason for why they do that stupid lottery instead of a normal draft?

Isn't the lottery still set-up to place the weaker teams first? I think it's basically an anti-tanking measure. A team might be guaranteed to be in the top three, but, not the first overall pick.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Just draft 3 pt shooters and make the most ..It's not that hard as there is no need for Lebrons or Davis
anymore :2thumbs: