The Los Angeles Lakers

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Anybody here care about the NBA?

Anybody here follow the Lakers??

I'm a Seattle born and raised on Sonics basketball but since the Sonics left, years later, I started following the Lakers (I love the city of Los Angeles).

Currently, if you are following the Lakers, they are a complete mess.

I wish Jeannie Buss would hire me to be second in charge of the Lakers basketball operations.

I'd turn that team around so fast, they'll be winning (playoff games) again in 3-5 years.

Championship in 6-7 years. Tops!

knownone

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":38573cv8 said:

I'm a Seattle born and raised on Sonics basketball but since the Sonics left, years later, I started following the Lakers (I love the city of Los Angeles).

I wish Jeannie Buss would hire me to be second in charge of the Lakers basketball operations.

I'd turn that team around so fast, they'll be winning (playoff games) again in 3-5 years.

Give us a sales pitch. What would you do to make them a playoff team in 3-5 years?

They already have one of the 3 best players in the league in the twilight of his career. IMO they need to win a heck of a lot sooner than 3 years. Unless you plan on trading Bron.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The Lakers are no longer a place free agents want to go. I think they need to go out and seek trades. Hoping that free agents like Jimmy Butler come to the Lakers isn't a plan. You have to be very careful when building around LeBron. He needs shooters and guys that can play off the ball. On the radio today they said they should try to trade for Bradley Beal, which I completely agree with. He can shoot the ball, and is an all-star who doesn't need to have the ball in his hands a lot to be great. Then in a year hope that Anthony Davis hits free agency and wants to go there. A core of LeBron, Beal and Davis could win you a championship.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1c2bw3y4 said:

I'm a Seattle born and raised on Sonics basketball but since the Sonics left, years later, I started following the Lakers (I love the city of Los Angeles).!

Why do you love LA? It's the worst sports town in the country and IMO doesn't deserve success.

It's a sports city of all the assholes from other cities who move there to be even bigger sports assholes...........they talk mad crap about how LA isn't like <fill in Philly, NY, Boston, Chicago, etc), yet when the Lakers, Dodgers or Angels are doing well they won't shut up. But then when they suck, it's back to "oh well I'm from Boston, so I love me some Red Sox anyway."

Screw the Lakers, and all LA sports teams. Their fans are garbage, if they even bother to show up before halftime or the 5th inning.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
knownone":218psu3w said:
TheLegendOfBoom":218psu3w said:

Give us a sales pitch. What would you do to make them a playoff team in 3-5 years?

They already have one of the 3 best players in the league in the twilight of his career. IMO they need to win a heck of a lot sooner than 3 years. Unless you plan on trading Bron.
I'd move LeBron first.

He's done. And nobody wants to play with him and coach him.

Locate a coach that has a starting five offense that can play in a half court set. Be able to shoot the ball from everywhere.

Locate 2 elite scorers (inside outside) and 3 elite (60 percent) outside shooters.

Reserves will be made up of length and defensive pass first players.

Control tempo on offense and play defense with length and throw bodies at the opposing team's best players.

Draft your scorers/shooters and add lanky defensive/role players.

Instant playoff team!

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3iiagcp8 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":3iiagcp8 said:

I'm a Seattle born and raised on Sonics basketball but since the Sonics left, years later, I started following the Lakers (I love the city of Los Angeles).!

Why do you love LA? It's the worst sports town in the country and IMO doesn't deserve success.

It's a sports city of all the assholes from other cities who move there to be even bigger sports assholes...........they talk mad crap about how LA isn't like <fill in Philly, NY, Boston, Chicago, etc), yet when the Lakers, Dodgers or Angels are doing well they won't shut up. But then when they suck, it's back to "oh well I'm from Boston, so I love me some Red Sox anyway."

Screw the Lakers, and all LA sports teams. Their fans are garbage, if they even bother to show up before halftime or the 5th inning.
LA is great food city. Probably the biggest reason I go there. Their beaches, nightlife and other tourist attractions are pretty sweet.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lakers have gotten away from the formula that made them perineal threats, get a Center pay what ever it takes to get one that's elite. Then get a ball distributor, shooters can be had anywhere or draft one. Get a guy that can run the wing and then fill in the rest. Rebounder is the other guy you need to find.

Look at their history, that's what they have done for decades and they have gone away from it. It started with George Mikan, Then they went and Got Wilt, Kareem, Vladi, then Shaq. In between Kareem and Vladi they struggled, just like after Vladi to Shaq. They had players at Center after Shaq but not any that dominated and made teams have to really scheme.

Also focusing on Kobe instead of the whole team was a mistake as well and they are doing it again with LeBron.

Problem these days is finding that Elite inside guy, I don't think there are a lack of them, I think there are a lack of developed Centers and interest in the game from young guys wanting to play that are big and athletic for some reason. For decades we had a half dozen in the league all the time, now you rarely hear of an elite game changing Big Man.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":23xy190h said:
TheLegendOfBoom":23xy190h said:

I don't follow the NBA after that scam the NBA pulled with Sonics..
Why would you pick the Lakers?I would get it if you said Blazers or Kings
but the Lakers for a Sonic fan was like a hated rival..
Your boy Lebron?He's washed up and toxic..As one above said "he goes"
first and then you build a team.
I agree with Sgt..Screw LA.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1o1kk3pt said:
Lakers have gotten away from the formula that made them perineal threats, get a Center pay what ever it takes to get one that's elite. Then get a ball distributor, shooters can be had anywhere or draft one. Get a guy that can run the wing and then fill in the rest. Rebounder is the other guy you need to find.

Look at their history, that's what they have done for decades and they have gone away from it. It started with George Mikan, Then they went and Got Wilt, Kareem, Vladi, then Shaq. In between Kareem and Vladi they struggled, just like after Vladi to Shaq. They had players at Center after Shaq but not any that dominated and made teams have to really scheme.

Also focusing on Kobe instead of the whole team was a mistake as well and they are doing it again with LeBron.

Problem these days is finding that Elite inside guy, I don't think there are a lack of them, I think there are a lack of developed Centers and interest in the game from young guys wanting to play that are big and athletic for some reason. For decades we had a half dozen in the league all the time, now you rarely hear of an elite game changing Big Man.
I get what your saying but have you seen how the NBA is today?
There are no more true centers that we saw for many years..Instead
they use a hybrid who shoots threes..Yep shoot it and if you make more
you win..Takes a lot of the brain work out of the game :|

mrt144

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3hv7h7mi said:
Sgt. Largent":3hv7h7mi said:
TheLegendOfBoom":3hv7h7mi said:

LA is great food city. Probably the biggest reason I go there. Their beaches, nightlife and other tourist attractions are pretty sweet.

LA is the quintessential 'Fantastic visit, but living there? I'm not a lunatic, sir'

chris98251

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1xk1govj said:
chris98251":1xk1govj said:

To be honest about the time the Sonics were stolen I stopped watching, no investment anymore. I did see the transition start to go to the Three and isolation on the perimeter screens to create room to shoot more threes. Your right however no defense, no offense except street ball mentality really.

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":1yapjcgt said:
IndyHawk":1yapjcgt said:
chris98251":1yapjcgt said:

To be honest about the time the Sonics were stolen I stopped watching, no investment anymore. I did see the transition start to go to the Three and isolation on the perimeter screens to create room to shoot more threes. Your right however no defense, no offense except street ball mentality really.

Giannis Antetokounmpo demands you watch him to see what big dudes are doing in the contemporary NBA. I get the sense that older fans fault the players themselves for adapting to the game instead of insisting they play Shaq or Wilt type roles. The game has changed and I can't qualify whether it's objectively better - we have our tastes. I think it's an absolute blast to watch adaptation in action and that carries over to all sports - NFL, NHL...not baseball so much. I am not just watching to indulge my reptile sports brain, thinking about how the game comports to what I consider the platonic ideal - i'm watching to see how teams from GMs on down to 11th men on the bench are adapting to the ecosystem.

I'm not claiming that I watch sports the right way, rather, I seemingly have found a way to enjoy sports in perpetuity.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
mrt144":133x4nxs said:
chris98251":133x4nxs said:
IndyHawk":133x4nxs said:
chris98251":133x4nxs said:

Giannis Antetokounmpo demands you watch him to see what big dudes are doing in the contemporary NBA. I get the sense that older fans fault the players themselves for adapting to the game instead of insisting they play Shaq or Wilt type roles. The game has changed and I can't qualify whether it's objectively better - we have our tastes. I think it's an absolute blast to watch adaptation in action and that carries over to all sports - NFL, NHL...not baseball so much. I am not just watching to indulge my reptile sports brain, thinking about how the game comports to what I consider the platonic ideal - i'm watching to see how teams from GMs on down to 11th men on the bench are adapting to the ecosystem.

I'm not claiming that I watch sports the right way, rather, I seemingly have found a way to enjoy sports in perpetuity.
You certainly watch it different than me or Chris used to and that is fine..Steve Kerr (ex Bull)started this
this crap..All he did was take the triangle of the Bulls and move it out to 3 point land and it's rained 3's like never
before..This makes it easier to get balls that bounce to floor and huge rim clangers for easy rebounds.
A simple drive to the basket can be had since everyone is spread out away from the paint.So to me it's
become street ball that I won't watch..Steve Kerr as a player today would no doubt average high 20's ..
He could shoot that 3 great but that's all he had just like most of these 3 point shooters who can't
or won't play defense..Here is an article on 3's.I don't agree with the whole thing but the stats in it are
eye opening. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2663 ... aturephone

mrt144

Reaction score
IndyHawk":20h0l4k4 said:
mrt144":20h0l4k4 said:
chris98251":20h0l4k4 said:
IndyHawk":20h0l4k4 said:

You certainly watch it different than me or Chris used to and that is fine..Steve Kerr (ex Bull)started this
this crap..All he did was take the triangle of the Bulls and move it out to 3 point land and it's rained 3's like never
before..This makes it easier to get balls that bounce to floor and huge rim clangers for easy rebounds.
A simple drive to the basket can be had since everyone is spread out away from the paint.So to me it's
become street ball that I won't watch..Steve Kerr as a player today would no doubt average high 20's ..
He could shoot that 3 great but that's all he had just like most of these 3 point shooters who can't
or won't play defense..Here is an article on 3's.I don't agree with the whole thing but the stats in it are
eye opening. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2663 ... aturephone

That is perfect timing! I just picked up Kirk's book that this is excerpt is from and am going to give it a go pretty soon. Part of what spurred me to grab the book were the conversations had here. Let me know if you pick it up and maybe you can drop your thoughts on it here.

chris98251

Reaction score
I hope they take the three point shot away personally at some point, it would change the dynamics back to guys working harder on different skill sets, like rebounding, boxing out and getting your own shot off.

Not to say some of the players today can't but overall the league skill set is diminished from what the game intentions were, imagine the NFL without any Defensive or offensive line do to speak, Arena Football.

knownone

Reaction score
chris98251":186fnsac said:
I hope they take the three point shot away personally at some point, it would change the dynamics back to guys working harder on different skill sets, like rebounding, boxing out and getting your own shot off.

Not to say some of the players today can't but overall the league skill set is diminished from what the game intentions were, imagine the NFL without any Defensive or offensive line do to speak, Arena Football.
The overall skill-set required to be in the league today is so far superior to what it was its mind-boggling. Joel Embiid and Anthony Davis are both 7 footers who can dribble, hit the midrange, post up, rebound, and shoot 3s. They would absolutely dominate any era.

Here's the difference, If you were a 7 footer in the 80s - 90s you camped near the basket to protect the paint. In today's game teams scheme their offense to isolate those big guys on perimeter guys, so if they don't have the skill to guard on the perimeter it really doesn't matter how great they are at rebounding or scoring. They are bench players in the modern NBA.
You see this show up with a guy like Boban Marjanovic. He's an advanced stat god. He'd be one of the 20 best players in the league in the 90s. He barely plays 10 minutes a game in the modern NBA.

[youtube]CZqyEHErXMc[/youtube]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":1o0yznn4 said:

While I agree the large majority of players are not 3 tool players anymore (jump shooting, free throw percentage, defense), I'd say the overall speed and athleticism of modern basketball is far superior than it's ever been.

Players are FAR more versatile, can play multiple positions and everyone on the floor can score. That wasn't the case even 20 years ago, it was all specialized positions. You were lucky to have two players on the floor who could score more than 15-20 pts a game. The rest were on the floor for defense or rebounding.

Better? Idk, that's for each fan to decide. Personally I like the college game better because it has more defense, ball movement and set plays, which IMO is what basketball is all about.

But if you just love to see amazing athletes do amazing athletic things? The NBA is a great product.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":343ne2bo said:
chris98251":343ne2bo said:

While I agree the large majority of players are not 3 tool players anymore (jump shooting, free throw percentage, defense), I'd say the overall speed and athleticism of modern basketball is far superior than it's ever been.

Players are FAR more versatile, can play multiple positions and everyone on the floor can score. That wasn't the case even 20 years ago, it was all specialized positions. You were lucky to have two players on the floor who could score more than 15-20 pts a game. The rest were on the floor for defense or rebounding.

Better? Idk, that's for each fan to decide. Personally I like the college game better because it has more defense, ball movement and set plays, which IMO is what basketball is all about.

But if you just love to see amazing athletes do amazing athletic things? The NBA is a great product.

The thing about college basketball that gives me a kick is how the different conferences all bring their own brand to the tourney. It always cracks me up when the final score of a Big 10 game is like how much Kansas or Duke scores in and entire game. As with college football, the sheer size and the respective inputs drive tactics and strategy and allows for some wild ideas and different approaches.

I wouldn't want to watch Big 10 basketball full time but it's fun to drop into on occasion. If I'm watching Pros work, I want to see that professional athleticism on full display and breaking my brain.