Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mariners ‘19-‘20 offseason thread

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Mariners ‘19-‘20 offseason thread
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:16 am
  • Just so we don’t have to wade though the in-season thread.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:Just so we don’t have to wade though the in-season thread.

Kiddie pool full of tears in there.

Think it might be a quiet off-season
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• DiPoto is saying not to expect much. Year one of the step back. Probably too early to blow all the savings we got from our fire sale just yet. Pretty sure he said it himself, don't want to shove a bunch of expensive vets in front of the young guys we're trying to develop. Might get good value for Dee Gordon among a couple of others.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I'd expect a couple trades in the off-season. Gordon in particular. I expect Haniger to be traded at the deadline if he can actually stay healthy and increase his value. I'd also expect them to trade 1 of Santana or Vogie, I would prefer to keep Santana as DH/5th OF.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Re: Mariners ‘19-‘20 offseason thread
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:12 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:I'd expect a couple trades in the off-season. Gordon in particular. I expect Haniger to be traded at the deadline if he can actually stay healthy and increase his value. I'd also expect them to trade 1 of Santana or Vogie, I would prefer to keep Santana as DH/5th OF.

I like Haniger but the future OF is Lewis, Kelenic, Rodriguez.
    Would love to hang onto Mitch but if he stays healthy you may be able to trade him for pitching. If not you can have an OF rotation with the DH position. I’m thinking 2021 season when the young studs are all up.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Welp.... if the nats win tonight, our seattle mariners will be the only team never to make the WS. Dont know whether to laugh or cry... but i really dont see anyone beating the astros. As much as i hate them, they are very good :(
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Seahaaaawks wrote:Welp.... if the nats win tonight, our seattle mariners will be the only team never to make the WS. Dont know whether to laugh or cry... but i really dont see anyone beating the astros. As much as i hate them, they are very good :(

Good Lord, the Ms are a sad sack franchise.

I kind of like the 'Stros. Promise I won't ever root for the Yanks. They're the Cowboys of MLB, just a gigantic bandwagon team.
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• And there you have it.... mariners officially the only team to never make the WS. F word :pukeface:
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Yep and the Mariners have been around a lot longer than a lot of franchises. I wouldn't expect them to snap the streak anytime soon. Garbage franchise that I don't care much about. Would easily trade them away for an NBA team. Wouldn't surprise me if the NHL team makes the playoffs before the Mariners do. They might be one of the worst major sports franchises.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Seahaaaawks wrote:And there you have it.... mariners officially the only team to never make the WS. F word :pukeface:

It’s so sad, it’s funny! You’re right, F-word!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Yep and the Mariners have been around a lot longer than a lot of franchises. I wouldn't expect them to snap the streak anytime soon. Garbage franchise that I don't care much about. Would easily trade them away for an NBA team. Wouldn't surprise me if the NHL team makes the playoffs before the Mariners do. They might be one of the worst major sports franchises.

Tell us how you really feel.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• getnasty wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Yep and the Mariners have been around a lot longer than a lot of franchises. I wouldn't expect them to snap the streak anytime soon. Garbage franchise that I don't care much about. Would easily trade them away for an NBA team. Wouldn't surprise me if the NHL team makes the playoffs before the Mariners do. They might be one of the worst major sports franchises.

Tell us how you really feel.

lol the real browns of baseball. Bad news mariners. However you wanna put it..... i want to celebrate like DC is tonight... just ONCE!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Seahaaaawks wrote:And there you have it.... mariners officially the only team to never make the WS. F word :pukeface:

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:43 pm
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• More like since 1977 ^^^^

Not only are they only MLB team to not make the WS, but they are also the franchise with the longest playoff drought in North American pro sports, now 18 years and counting as the post above obviously is referring to.
    They've made the postseason exactly 4 times in 43 seasons of existence. That is truly consistent suck.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Go Mariners
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• And now there is word that Joe Maddon will be the new manager in Anaheim for the Angels. Oh great another division rival doing more to win than the Mariners.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Like it or not, we're kind of stuck in our current plan for another 2 years at least. Personally, I'm glad someone came in and actually had a plan to bolster our farm system with a look to future production. We spent the last 20 years or so thinking we could trade our way to the promised land and sold off all of our farm system for a bunch of older guys who only came here for the money.

DiPoto and Sevais probably waited 2 years too long to start this process, but I'm actually looking forward to how all these young guys will work out, hopefully in Mariner uniforms. One added pain to all the others has been seeing young prospects flourish on other teams after we developed them in the minors.

The M's were actually competitive with the league average teams at the end of 2019. Long way to go, but promising, I think.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:11 pm
  • They say 2021 is playoff year. I shall see.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Decent read on our prospects coming off the '19 season.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... hey-fared/

With the regular season in the rearview mirror, now is a good time to look back at the The Seattle Times’ list of the Mariners’ Top 15 prospects going into the 2019 season and how they fared. Obviously, the rankings will change going into next season based on how they performed in 2019, and there will be additions and subtractions to the list moving forward.

sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Shanegotyou11 wrote:They say 2021 is playoff year. I shall see.

Much will depend on Houston
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:19 am
  • The M's have had a long offseason so far. It started in April this year and is still going.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:38 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:The M's have had a long offseason so far. It started in 2002 and is still going.

FIFY.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:The M's have had a long offseason so far. It started in 2002 and is still going.

FIFY.

I cannot argue the facts.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:They say 2021 is playoff year. I shall see.

Playoff baseball is so much fun. I cant wait to see Ms back in it.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• WIth the Nats winning, this video feels appropriate to share. Myself and few buddies got some laughs out of it after the sadness sank in.

DHawk
    NET Veteran

• Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:They say 2021 is playoff year. I shall see.

Playoff baseball is so much fun. I cant wait to see Ms back in it.

There's a real chance I'll never see that happen again since I'm 63 and in good health. I figure I'll live at least 20 more years.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:32 am
  • DHawk wrote:WIth the Nats winning, this video feels appropriate to share. Myself and few buddies got some laughs out of it after the sadness sank in.

LOL was pretty funny. I mean at this point all you can do is laugh. Some of those promising names i forgot all about. Like cliff lee lol traded for smoak.. ooohh the memories. Smiley who never even threw a pitch for us haha all the talent that was good elsewhere.... austin jackson, rich aurilia, pat burrell, richie sexton, chone figgins, ext all came here and careers died.
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• One of the greatest performing Mariners of all-time was Dave Niehaus. Another is Tom Hutyler.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

• Remember when the Mariners only had to lose one game in three against Oakland at the end of 2008, and we would have drafted Stephen Strasburg instead of Dustin Ackley? You know, the Stephen Strasburg who just went 5-0 in the postseason for the world champion Washington Nationals? You remember how we won all three of those completely meaningless games?

I really, really, REALLY HATE the Mariners right now.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• lol... just another sad story in a river of tears of the franchise called the mariners.
    ON THE BRIGHT SIDE the stupid Astros did not win which makes me very very very happy!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:31 pm
  • With the Nationals/Expos franchise appearing in a WS, do we now chant "We're the Only One" at games?
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:35 am
  • 30 teams didn't win a world series...

Not sure the angst around a team with no expectations this year.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:19 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:30 teams didn't win a world series...

I wonder. Maybe it's 4 playoff appearances in 44 seasons. Maybe it's being the only team left without a World Series appearance. Maybe it's because they were more concerned about how a new NBA team would affect their bottom line than they were about fielding a competitive team. I grew up a Mariners fan. Jay Buhner is my favorite player of all time. However, those memories taste like bitter ash in my mouth knowing that every other major sports team in this city has delivered more while asking less. Even the NHL seems to care more about Seattle than the Mariners do.

The Mariners have done nothing in nearly 20 years to earn anything from me except my utter contempt. And in the wake of the Nationals WS appearance and win, I just feel a boiling anger when I think of the millstone around this city's neck. I loved them. But they poisoned that love. All that's left is empty, stone cold hatred.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:27 pm
  • It's pathetic that this franchise continues to hang their hat on the '95 season and rehash it over and over and over again when they didn't even make it to the world series.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:18 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:30 teams didn't win a world series...

I wonder. Maybe it's 4 playoff appearances in 44 seasons. Maybe it's being the only team left without a World Series appearance. Maybe it's because they were more concerned about how a new NBA team would affect their bottom line than they were about fielding a competitive team. I grew up a Mariners fan. Jay Buhner is my favorite player of all time. However, those memories taste like bitter ash in my mouth knowing that every other major sports team in this city has delivered more while asking less. Even the NHL seems to care more about Seattle than the Mariners do.

The Mariners have done nothing in nearly 20 years to earn anything from me except my utter contempt. And in the wake of the Nationals WS appearance and win, I just feel a boiling anger when I think of the millstone around this city's neck. I loved them. But they poisoned that love. All that's left is empty, stone cold hatred.

So...

You're just moaning then? Again.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:30 teams didn't win a world series...

You forgot longest streak without a playoff appearance of all North American sports franchises.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Maulbert wrote:Remember when the Mariners only had to lose one game in three against Oakland at the end of 2008, and we would have drafted Stephen Strasburg instead of Dustin Ackley? You know, the Stephen Strasburg who just went 5-0 in the postseason for the world champion Washington Nationals? You remember how we won all three of those completely meaningless games?

I really, really, REALLY HATE the Mariners right now.

Wouldn't have mattered. I believe Scott Boras was his agent and he would've had Strasburg pull a Tony Dorsett on the Ms.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• https://apnews.com/769641eb9fdc4406a8505cbe132ecee2

Mariners promote 3 to fill out coaching staff

SEATTLE (AP) — The Seattle Mariners have made a trio of promotions to fill out the major league coaching staff for next season.

Manager Scott Servais announced Thursday that Pete Woodworth would be the new pitching coach, Carson Vitale will be the field coordinator and Jarret DeHart will be the assistant hitting coach. Woodworth was the pitching coach for Seattle’s Double-A Arkansas affiliate last season. Vitale spent the past two seasons as Seattle’s minor-league field coordinator and DeHart was a roving hitting instructor for the club.

Paul Davis, who was the pitching coach last season, will now be a pitching strategist for the organization.

Along with the additions, Seattle is shifting responsibilities for some of its returning coaches. Manny Acta goes from bench coach to third-base coach. Jared Sandberg will move from field coordinator to bench coach. Brian DeLunas will return to bullpen coach after serving in a different role last season.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:00 pm

• Good sign. Obviously in their long term plans. We new he would be with the big boys in spring training. If he's ready for the show come April, great!

:2thumbs:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• sutz wrote:Good sign. Obviously in their long term plans. We new he would be with the big boys in spring training. If he's ready for the show come April, great!

:2thumbs:

Defensively he’s been ready for some time now.
    Put him at the bottom of the lineup to start and let him hit his way up.

Edit: Just checked his offensive numbers and they are better than I thought.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Reminds me of Olerud.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:Reminds me of Olerud.

White Has better range.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Kind of hate to lose Narvaez, but looks like we got decent value for him.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:22 am
  • sutz wrote:Kind of hate to lose Narvaez, but looks like we got decent value for him.

I kind of don’t like losing his bat but defensively he was a disaster. Pitchers didn’t like pitching to him. His positioning on throws from the outfield was horrible as well as he was never in position to tag out base runners. Nola who hasn’t caught much is a better defensive catcher.

Rumor has it the M’s thought the 22 homers were a fluke and or a product of a juiced baseball, and they were trying to “sell high” as they have a little depth at that position, with Murphy, Nola, Cal Raleigh a year away.

Now the guy they got back I know nothing about other than a single A guy with mid 4’s era.

Prospect Insider has a decent argument for the reasons for trading the guy.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:13 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:

I grew up a Braves fan... witnessed the horrible 80's and the run in the 90's. Been pulling for the Mariners since I moved here in 2011.

After the 13-2 start to this season I was pumped and purchased tickets to the 4/12 home game vs Houston which they lost... the first of 6 straight losses at the beginning of their 2019 spiral into the AL West basement.

I really believe the Mariners will turn it around... one day. Just don't know if I'll be alive to see it.

At any rate, I'll be in the house for the 3 game weekend series at the end of May when the Braves come to town. My first Braves games since they were last here in 2011.

Go Mariners!
    FalconsFanNW
    NET Starter

Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:44 pm
  • FalconsFanNW wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

I grew up a Braves fan... witnessed the horrible 80's and the run in the 90's. Been pulling for the Mariners since I moved here in 2011.

After the 13-2 start to this season I was pumped and purchased tickets to the 4/12 home game vs Houston which they lost... the first of 6 straight losses at the beginning of their 2019 spiral into the AL West basement.

I really believe the Mariners will turn it around... one day. Just don't know if I'll be alive to see it.

At any rate, I'll be in the house for the 3 game weekend series at the end of May when the Braves come to town. My first Braves games since they were last here in 2011.

Go Mariners!

End of May? Ms should be 12 games back by then.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:End of May? Ms should be 12 games back by then.

Most likely. I still think they are a team that will be making some noise soon.
    FalconsFanNW
    NET Starter

Next

It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:57 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information