Las Vegas A's?

Maulbert

Reaction score
Clearly a calculated threat to needle the city of Oakland.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...s-mlb-commissioner-warned-city-move-las-vegas

Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf confirmed in a television interview Tuesday that Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred warned city officials that the Athletics could relocate to Las Vegas if the city didn't drop its lawsuit to stop Alameda County from selling its share of the Coliseum to the team.

"The reports of that are accurate," Schaaf said in the interview with KTVU-TV. "[Las Vegas] is the city that came out of his mouth."

Oakland will soon lose its NFL team, the Raiders, to Las Vegas, possibly as soon as 2020. So Manfred's choice of a possible relocation city was meant to strike a nerve, Schaaf said.

"Obviously he chose his city wisely as far as exposing a pain-point that all Oaklanders feel about losing our sports teams," she said, calling the lawsuit "misguided."

Interesting, but unlikely.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":3avsc0tz said:
Clearly a calculated threat to needle the city of Oakland.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...s-mlb-commissioner-warned-city-move-las-vegas

Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf confirmed in a television interview Tuesday that Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred warned city officials that the Athletics could relocate to Las Vegas if the city didn't drop its lawsuit to stop Alameda County from selling its share of the Coliseum to the team.

"The reports of that are accurate," Schaaf said in the interview with KTVU-TV. "[Las Vegas] is the city that came out of his mouth."

Oakland will soon lose its NFL team, the Raiders, to Las Vegas, possibly as soon as 2020. So Manfred's choice of a possible relocation city was meant to strike a nerve, Schaaf said.

"Obviously he chose his city wisely as far as exposing a pain-point that all Oaklanders feel about losing our sports teams," she said, calling the lawsuit "misguided."

Interesting, but unlikely.
Vegas is the one city that would build a new stadium for the A’s and not blink an eye.

chris98251

Reaction score
The A's have threatened to move more then once, remember it's a franchise that operates on the cheap and if they can get a deal down there they will take it.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Aaaaaaand Portland gets left out in the cold. Maybe Tampa Bay will move to my area. I'm dying for a REAL baseball franchise to root for.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":w8qb82ob said:
Aaaaaaand Portland gets left out in the cold. Maybe Tampa Bay will move to my area. I'm dying for a REAL baseball franchise to root for.
I think that would be good for both Seattle and Portland in Portland got a team. The Mariners organization needs competition to keep them honest.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1obz11s4 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1obz11s4 said:
I think that would be good for both Seattle and Portland in Portland got a team. The Mariners organization needs competition to keep them honest.

If the Nationals make the World Series the Mariners will LITERALLY be the only MLB franchise to not even PLAY in one.

I gave up on those greedy assholes a long time ago. They're not interested in competing, only in blocking the return of the Sonics.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The A's get no love in the Bay because the Giants are the top destination. Even when they Giants are worse. The only time I've ever seen their stadium decently populated was in the playoffs this year.

A lot of this has to do with the venue. AT&T (I think it's oracle now) is right downtown. It has a kids' mini diamond and batting cage. You can go out the back and down to the water. It's like a mini-vacation destination for the fam.

The A's were promised a new stadium down by Jack London Square a couple years ago. That alone would have boosted their numbers. That whole area has a bunch of SF tech yups, better weather actually than AT&T. Fun factor, you can take a ferry from SF (walkable actually from AT&T or short Uber) that'll drop you right there. Contrast that to the stadium that they are in. It is old, outdated, in the middle of an immediately scary area. You wouldn't want to wander around there.

But looks like that deal fell through or was put on ice.

A's are being wasted in the Bay as it is. The Bay would hardly miss them, whereas LV would appreciate them.