UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread

DJrmb

Reaction score
Saw the Zags thread and figured I'd go ahead and get the Dawgs thread going too. This should be a fun year for both teams! Some good news for the Dawgs today too with Quade Green getting the go ahead to start game 1!

On Friday afternoon, the NCAA approved the Kentucky transfer’s eligibility petition, which allows him to play immediately for the Huskies.

UW confirmed the news, which was first reported by Pete Thamel at Yahoo Sports.

If Green’s petition had been denied, then he would have missed the first nine games and was scheduled to make his UW debut on Dec. 17 against Seattle University.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...reen-immediately-eligible-to-join-uw-huskies/

1st official game will be this Friday against Baylor @ 6:30pm. Can't wait to see McDaniels, Stewart, and Green on the court together!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Stadium/status/1191372152857137153[/tweet]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If the hype turns out to be true, yes.
Loaded draft class. Time will tell.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
They definitely have the talent, and the coach might be the best in the conference. Biggest concern is the youth and inexperience. Stewart and McDaniels will likely be lottery picks. Stewart could be the best player to ever play at UW, he’s that great. McDaniels is more of a project, NBA will like him for his potential. I expect them to finish in the top 25, contend for the Pac-12 title. Because of the youth, they may not hit their stride until a month or two into the season.

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'm fairly surprised they didn't come into the season ranked already with all the talent on this team. Quade Green makes it three 5 star players in the starting lineup. Hopefully the injury bug stays away and we get to enjoy watching possibly the most talented team in Washington BB history.

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
Here's an interview with Stewart. There's a few highlights of some of the scrimmages they've played that weren't televised. Loved seeing McDaniels to Stewart connection!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/pac12/status/1192578117308563456[/tweet]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Looking like poo so far.
Way too sloppy with the ball. Not enough half court, too much run and gun IMHO.

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3cn6i5h9 said:
Looking like poo so far.

They are an extremely young team. Its going to take time for them to learn to play together and to learn who to go to against different defensive approaches. It shows how much talent they have though for them to come back against a solid Baylor team and get the win. They played sloppy, and they made tons of inexperienced mistakes, but they still beat the 16th ranked team in the country.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DJrmb":10lan53d said:
Sports Hernia":10lan53d said:
Looking like poo so far.

They are an extremely young team. Its going to take time for them to learn to play together and to learn who to go to against different defensive approaches. It shows how much talent they have though for them to come back against a solid Baylor team and get the win. They played sloppy, and they made tons of inexperienced mistakes, but they still beat the 16th ranked team in the country.
Absolutely great come back. :2thumbs:
The last part of the game is what I was expecting them to play like.
The first half was frustrating as hell to watch.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The new AP poll has us #20. It’s nice to have a great UW Hoops team again.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hey Huskies fans, got a question.........I was watching a bit of one of their games a week and a half or so back and noticed they were playing man-to-man exclusively. What happened to the Syracuse 2-3 zone? What's the deal with their defensive approach this year?

By the way not a question to be a dick as I prefer a man-to-man anyway. I think it's better as far as keeping players engaged on the defensive end and as a long time hoops player, I think it's more straightforward to play and far better to rebound out of on the defensive glass.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2szjz5sq said:
Hey Huskies fans, got a question.........I was watching a bit of one of their games a week and a half or so back and noticed they were playing man-to-man exclusively. What happened to the Syracuse 2-3 zone? What's the deal with their defensive approach this year?

By the way not a question to be a d*ck as I prefer a man-to-man anyway. I think it's better as far as keeping players engaged on the defensive end and as a long time hoops player, I think it's more straightforward to play and far better to rebound out of on the defensive glass.

If I were to hazard a guess, it is because they have such a young core. They played it a fair amount in their only loss and have since backed off. I bet as they get deeper into the season and the young guys become more familiar with that zone scheme, it is implemented more.

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":3oqdz3sf said:
hawksfansinceday1":3oqdz3sf said:

By the way not a question to be a d*ck as I prefer a man-to-man anyway. I think it's better as far as keeping players engaged on the defensive end and as a long time hoops player, I think it's more straightforward to play and far better to rebound out of on the defensive glass.

If I were to hazard a guess, it is because they have such a young core. They played it a fair amount in their only loss and have since backed off. I bet as they get deeper into the season and the young guys become more familiar with that zone scheme, it is implemented more.

The coach mentioned wanting to have it in their repertoire as a sort of "off-speed pitch" to throw at teams and change up pace. I think the reason they're running it so much early is because they're needing to practice it in games and want to get the experience in while playing against weaker opponents. Also they want to try out different combinations and players so the coaching staff can learn who to use in man.

Here are a couple of links in the preseason where he talked about it:

Starts about 4:25 in this video talking about coming to UW wanting to play press man in the beginning
[youtube]yA95lpPPDf8[/youtube]

Again refers to playing man as having an "off-speed pitch" to throw at teams and situations @ 13:50
[youtube]svRXrRowV1c[/youtube]

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yep basically like an off speed pitch in baseball. He just wants to be able to give multiple looks and make sure opposing teams don't get too comfortable against a certain defense. As of now UW might be a better man defense team. They can put five guys on the court who can all move their feet. The zone is a work and progress, but the main issue is Green plays a lot but doesn't have much length.

Big game coming up this week, I think UW beats Gonzaga.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":y4da72s8 said:
Hawk-Lock":y4da72s8 said:
Big game coming up this week, I think UW beats Gonzaga.
Sadly I agree. Gonzaga can't shoot a 3, give up FAR too many offensive rebounds and turn it over too often.
So very happy to be wrong.

Tical21":y4da72s8 said:
How many years before Gonzaga beats UW again?
So let's see you posted this on May 2nd and Gonzaga beat them on December 8th so that's 7 months and 6 days by my calculations. So the answer to your question of how many years till Gonzaga beat the Huskies again would be zero. Okay I'll be nice, a half a year.

Just a reminder, Zags have beaten UW 6 in a row and 13 out of 14.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Too many silly turnovers by UW to win this game. Nice win for the Zags!

Latest posts