DON'T UPDATE Your XBOX - Update RRODING Units

If You Own an XBOX, What Was the Result After Applying the New Update?

• Other (Please Explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It Works Fine.

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • It's Bricked (RRODed).

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It Locks Up Constantly.

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

FPD

Reaction score
Dangerous Xbox 360 Update Killing new to-be released Homebrew Vulnerability

The Free60 Project":1m2nweyw said:
On Tuesday, Microsoft has released an Xbox 360 software update that overwrites the first stage bootloader of the system. Although there have been numerous software updates for Microsoft's gaming console in the past, this is the first one to overwrite the vital boot block. Any failure while updating this will break the Xbox 360 beyond repair. Statistics from other systems have shown that about one in a thousand bootloader updates goes wrong, and unless Microsoft has a novel solution to this problem, this puts tens of thousands of Xboxes at risk.

M$'s new update bricked my XBOX (about 3 months old) and there are hundreds of posts of the same at the XBOX site's forums.

Also, people with units out of warranty are getting screwed too since M$ is telling people that they won't fix them (well, they will, but for $100).

You have been Warned!

A

Anonymous

What sucks is that I guarantee that the next game I buy will force me to do the update.

This is why building systems that rely on updates has always been a bad idea, for several generations (through the PS/N64 generation) gaming was just fine without updates, how bout we go back to those days instead of turning these things into bricks.

Honestly, the reason I have always been a console gamer is reliability and knowing the game I buy will work, that certainty is all but gone now.

Smurf

Reaction score
Both of my xbox's went through the update just fine. One is newer (less than 4 months old) and one is a refurbished one..

SmokeyHawk

Reaction score
Got my Xbox back yesterday from a friend(loaned it to him for ~5mos. while recovering from a broken leg.)
While he had it, it was never "online" I updated it when I got home yesterday..no issues. Got Madden10 today, hope all is well when I get home!! hehe

Thanks for the warning though!
-SH

HawksFTW

Reaction score
warner28":20qqxcdq said:
What sucks is that I guarantee that the next game I buy will force me to do the update.

This is why building systems that rely on updates has always been a bad idea, for several generations (through the PS/N64 generation) gaming was just fine without updates, how bout we go back to those days instead of turning these things into bricks.

Honestly, the reason I have always been a console gamer is reliability and knowing the game I buy will work, that certainty is all but gone now.

This has to be one of silliest posts I have ever read about a video game console. Updating video games and the system, is hands down the BEST thing that ever happened to console gaming. Having the ability to add game content, fix bugs/glitches, and update pertinent info (rex: rosters for madden), is critical in this day and age, and without those features NO console has a chance in hell in selling.

Besides plugging your xbox into the internet is your choice, no one tells you have to do it.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
warner28":3bn89trq said:

I take you never had a console with cartridge games where you constantly had to blow the dust out of the cartridge and the console. Even when you got it to work, you very rarely got through the game without it freezing up on you. I had this problem with the NES, Genesis, SNES, and even the N64.

drdiags

Reaction score
Not sure why they would have to update the bootloader, but yeah if it is corrupted the processor cannot be setup to run out of RAM or even flash, since the early steps for setting up the core is performed by the bootloader. They must have to put new security algorithms in the bootloader, such as a Secure Boot algorithm, though these need special hardware for checksumming the kernel before attempting to run it.

If they were really concerned about 0% failure of this type of upgrade due to power failure or corruption, there should have been a failsafe built into the design or a minimal bootstrap that could allow a recovery technique for the extreme cash of total system failure. Oh well, guess that would have added too much cost to the unit.

In the field upgrades is a very tough nut to crack but seems there should be a little more flexibility when a device is hosed while following suggested methods for upgrading it. Or else they should have a upgrade center for these things. I am sure there is probably a JTAG device that would allow one to update the flash but would require a tech to open up the device and maybe they removed the JTAG connector prior to shipping? Would love to look inside one of these busted ones just to see what the motherboard looks like.

SmokeyHawk

Reaction score
drdiags":vxmi5eoi said:
Would love to look inside one of these busted ones just to see what the motherboard looks like.
I have one. Live in Seattle?
I'm pretty sure the inner working of these things are pretty well known though. Seems like you're interested in the motherboard however?

-SH

drdiags

Reaction score
SmokeyHawk":1p3ynz9s said:
drdiags":1p3ynz9s said:
Would love to look inside one of these busted ones just to see what the motherboard looks like.
I have one. Live in Seattle?
I'm pretty sure the inner working of these things are pretty well known though. Seems like you're interested in the motherboard however?

-SH

Yeah, I was wanting to put eyes on the layout. Thanks to Rocketman, was able to see that. Thought I saw the 16-pin layout of where the JTAG pins could be inserted, but would need a schematic along with specs to figure out the processor type and appropriate JTAG tool. Just some musings of an idle mind.

A

Anonymous

Seanhawk":3u1467hq said:
warner28":3u1467hq said:

I take you never had a console with cartridge games where you constantly had to blow the dust out of the cartridge and the console. Even when you got it to work, you very rarely got through the game without it freezing up on you. I had this problem with the NES, Genesis, SNES, and even the N64.

You'd be wrong, still own everyone of those consoles and an Atari 2600, all still work perfectly, PS1 on the otherhand is a brick, on my third 360.

Someone said I was stupid to have my opinion, if it's stupid to want your system to work, I'll be stupid. To the "it's your choice to go online", yeah but GAMES force the update whether you are online or not.

DericLee

Reaction score
System is fine, was in the early update test group and had no issues. I am on my 5th 360 though, just to note.

Oh, and Madden 10 kicks ass!

Seanhawk

Reaction score
warner28":fntttabw said:
Seanhawk":fntttabw said:
warner28":fntttabw said:

You'd be wrong, still own everyone of those consoles and an Atari 2600, all still work perfectly, PS1 on the otherhand is a brick, on my third 360.

Someone said I was stupid to have my opinion, if it's stupid to want your system to work, I'll be stupid. To the "it's your choice to go online", yeah but GAMES force the update whether you are online or not.

You were lucky then.

Riley12

Reaction score
^
All of the systems suck in some ways and all of them are good in some ways.

This update went fine for my refurbished 360. I even bought a lightsabre for my Mii,
I mean avatar.

OP
OP
FPD

FPD

Reaction score
Well, it looks like the update worked fine for everyone here that has applied it (as I'm the only one that said anything about it having issues). Fortunately, I have an exchange warranty. Unfortunately, I have a crap ton of DLC (XBLA games and Rockband/Guitar Hero songs, among other things) to re-download!

HawkRedhooker

Reaction score
FPD":3k57zslz said:
Well, it looks like the update worked fine for everyone here that has applied it (as I'm the only one that said anything about it having issues). Fortunately, I have an exchange warranty. Unfortunately, I have a crap ton of DLC (XBLA games and Rockband/Guitar Hero songs, among other things) to re-download!

Can you swap HDDs on the exchange warranty? That's where the downloads and game statistics are.

BTW, my update went fine ... mine is only a 360 from the original release.