Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • Wow... just when I thought I couldn't be more disappointed in the Mariners organization! Can we close the roof on Safeco for good and reconstruct the thing to support an NHL/NBA team? I'd prefer an attempt at that rather than watch the craptastic product the M's keep throwing out there.
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

• Todays the day of one of the big days that we'll have in our journey to one day have the sonics back and that'll be a great day!!!!!!!!!!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• pinksheets wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:I cant do it anymore, the Mariners need to go. YEP I said it, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! and don't make a stink about it, just LEAVE! Maybe we can put Safeco to better use than they ever could.

I can't do it anymore, I've put anything I owned that had Mariners on it in the trash, I hope they fail from here to eternity.

This is an absurd overreaction.

People need to get a grip and not hate a team or especially wish for it to move because of the actions of guys up top. If you can completely abandon all ties to a team because of the actions of the higher ups, it makes little sense that we're still so attached to the Sonics after Schultz and Bennett screwed the city. A team is bigger than the temporary suits, so let's get back to reality here.

It might be an over-reaction by the poster by I clearly understand the frustration with the ass clown that is Howard Lincoln. I only go to a game if I get free seats, free parking, and dont spend a dime at the ballpark. Thats been my MO for the past 5 years. My motto was if the M's were having a hard time finding their wallet to bring top tier talent in, then I was going to have a hard time finding my waller to buy tix and team related mechandise.

Now after the crap that Lincoln is pulling trying to block the arena I wont go to a game until his is gone even if I have free tix.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:I cant do it anymore, the Mariners need to go. YEP I said it, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! and don't make a stink about it, just LEAVE! Maybe we can put Safeco to better use than they ever could.

I can't do it anymore, I've put anything I owned that had Mariners on it in the trash, I hope they fail from here to eternity.

This is an absurd overreaction.

People need to get a grip and not hate a team or especially wish for it to move because of the actions of guys up top. If you can completely abandon all ties to a team because of the actions of the higher ups, it makes little sense that we're still so attached to the Sonics after Schultz and Bennett screwed the city. A team is bigger than the temporary suits, so let's get back to reality here.

It might be an over-reaction by the poster by I clearly understand the frustration with the ass clown that is Howard Lincoln. I only go to a game if I get free seats, free parking, and dont spend a dime at the ballpark. Thats been my MO for the past 5 years. My motto was if the M's were having a hard time finding their wallet to bring top tier talent in, then I was going to have a hard time finding my waller to buy tix and team related mechandise.

Now after the crap that Lincoln is pulling trying to block the arena I wont go to a game until his is gone even if I have free tix.

Oh no doubt. I'm all for people opting to boycott the Ms until new ownership takes over, I doubt I'll go that far, but it's a perfectly reasonable response to their actions (I'd actually advise boycotting their sponsors and telling them why you're doing so). However, I think a line gets crossed when someone declares they're forever done with the team and wish to see them relocate. At that point you're putting your anger and frustration ahead of the hearts of the fans of that team. Whether they suck or not, some people grew up with the Ms as their team, some people grew up idolizing Mariner players, and I'm one of them. Luckily the actual Bring Back Our Sonics and Arena movements aren't going all Taliban on the Ms, because that'd be a disastrous tactic. Let Lincoln and his cronies be the only ones willing to pit their interests against those of the community, let them be the villains. I get the anger, I feel it too, but let's be the adults, we have been throughout this entire process.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Arena vote passed, only two that voted no were the suspects we were counting on to say no

Licata and Conlin both said no.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Arena vote passed, only two that voted no were the suspects we were counting on to say no

F 'em!!

It passed! :thirishdrinkers: :th2thumbs:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Sports Radio KJR ‏@SportsRadioKJR
    BREAKING: Seattle City Council votes to approve M.O.U on Sonics Arena by way of a 6-2 vote. Conlin & Licata vote no. Rasmussen absent.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• If you live within the city limits of Seattle, which I will soon, make sure to vote against Conlin and Licata whenever the chance arises.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• And there's this:

Ian Furness ‏@IanKJR
    Breaking. A group representing the #Edmonton Oilers, including team president, owner was in Seattle today taking a tour of Key Arena. #NHL

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-o ... y-relocate

Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr
    Btw, hearing rumor Wayne Gretzky is in town. Hangin with Hansen tonight
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Wow that was quick
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Arena vote passed, only two that voted no were the suspects we were counting on to say no

:th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :0190l: :0190l: :0190l: :179422: :179422: :179422: :229031_thewave: :229031_victory: :fam:

Heck yeah! oh and for the two that voted no.......... :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :thfight7:
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• pinksheets wrote:And there's this:

Ian Furness ‏@IanKJR
    Breaking. A group representing the #Edmonton Oilers, including team president, owner was in Seattle today taking a tour of Key Arena. #NHL

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-o ... y-relocate

Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr
    Btw, hearing rumor Wayne Gretzky is in town. Hangin with Hansen tonight

Awesome!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Very cool, Nick Licata now has lots of room to schedule his poetry sessions in the Key going forward without worry of some damn NBA team screwing up his booking of high end talent to fill it.

Damn Edgar Allen Poe has passed away, would have loved to see his session.

Quote the Raven Sonics Soar!!!

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• It would suck to take an NHL team from a city like Edmonton that really values it.
    * NET Staff *

• Hawkstorian wrote:It would suck to take an NHL team from a city like Edmonton that really values it.

Yea, that would be bad juju. Wouldn't want that. I'd feel better with a team like Columbus, but an expansion team would be my preference by far. Expand the league to 32 just like the NFL and put a team here and in Q City again.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Hawkstorian wrote:It would suck to take an NHL team from a city like Edmonton that really values it.

If this isn't a case of using another city to leverage a better deal then I don't know what is. If the Oil leave the city there would be a mad rush to move a team or put an expansion franshise there but the city would have to pay even more for a stadium as well as a possible expansion fee. Katz has the city over a barrel because the lease at Rexall is up in 2014 and it's already been ruled unsuitable for the franchise by the league.

Shy
    Just remember, football is 80% mental and 40% physical.
    Little Giants (1994) – Steve Emtman
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• Katz apologizes to Oil fans and admits that it was all a leveraging ploy. (I actually think he is in the process of due diligence and is apologizing for getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406373#YourCallTop

Shy
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• I have a feeling that the NHL is really drooling over the idea of getting a team in Seattle. I mean a Vancouver/Seattle rivalry would be awesome.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Mark Cuban said the NBA owners would love to have Seattle back in the fold.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Mark Cuban said the NBA owners would love to have Seattle back in the fold.

MARK CUBAN IS MAAAANNNNN

So is Paul Allen though
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• Blitzer88 wrote:I have a feeling that the NHL is really drooling over the idea of getting a team in Seattle. I mean a Vancouver/Seattle rivalry would be awesome.

Every word out of Daily or Betmans mouth for the past few years seems to support your theory. They have all but said that there is a plan for Seattle already in place. Even on the topic of QC's new arena Daily said that Quebecwasn't automatically next in line and specifically mentioned Seattle as a front runner.

Shy
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• Gringotts look like goblin, Stern, was quoted today saying:

"It would be my hope that within the time frame that you mentioned, five years, that if everything works out perfectly, there would be a new arena and new team in Seattle. That's always for the board of governors, but I know that many governors are favorably inclined."

Full article is Here

5 years?!?! The Hornets are sitting there begging to be bought....
    Elessar
    NET Bench Warmer

• Elessar wrote:Gringotts look like goblin, Stern, was quoted today saying:

"It would be my hope that within the time frame that you mentioned, five years, that if everything works out perfectly, there would be a new arena and new team in Seattle. That's always for the board of governors, but I know that many governors are favorably inclined."

Full article is Here

Tom Benson the saints owner bought them.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    Elessar wrote:Gringotts look like goblin, Stern, was quoted today saying:

Full article is Here

Tom Benson the saints owner bought them.

Yeah the horents are a no go now. But I could see the Bucks, Bobcats or Kings being options for us.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Ah, blast. Guess I've missed some things due to deployments...Well let's go Sacramento!
    Elessar
    NET Bench Warmer

• yeah 5 years? What the hell? I want one by next season..
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• Pstark3 wrote:yeah 5 years? What the hell? I want one by next season..

Well he said WITHIN the next 5 years, it could happen next year or in 2, 3, or 4. Just depends on when Hansen aquires a team, which I believe he's pretty close to or has a backroom deal in place for one. The way he acts about this whole arena thing, the confidence he has, and the way he chooses his words carefully when asked about franchises leads me to believe that he might have one lined up.

Also his whole plan of buying a team to play in Key Arena for 2 years makes believe that as well, the money for Key Arena upgrades and when he buys a team the shovels finally go into the ground? Usually the arena gets built and its a waiting game, I truley believe he has someone lined up, whether its the Bucks or Kings, I haven't got the slightest clue, but I think when it passes County Council again that about a month or two, or five down the road we'll be getting the best news ever that Chris Hansen was approved to purchase an NBA franchise.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5
    BREAKING: Both King County Council & Seattle City Council expected to approve #SeattleArena deal, giving Chris Hansen permission to proceed.
    Retweeted by SC_DougFarrar
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5
    BREAKING: Both King County Council & Seattle City Council expected to approve #SeattleArena deal, giving Chris Hansen permission to proceed.

Oh Yeah!!! :179422:
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• RolandDeschain wrote:Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5

That was breaking?

Thanks for the update. But I had expected that for a month!
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

• http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=1458813

Im sorry but what a bunch of +++hATS and ****bags.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkcrazzed wrote:http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=1458813

Im sorry but what a bunch of +++hATS and ****bags.

Wow.......smh.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Not nervous at all
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• So I wonder if the Mariners are pushing and helping with this again behind the front men.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Um I'd wager a guess nad say YES! Howard Lincoln IS that stupid!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Final votes are today at 1:30, they're saying its going to pass. LETS GOOOOO
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• It'll pass and push forward in spite of the suit, but that is truly a jackass move.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:It'll pass and push forward in spite of the suit, but that is truly a jackass move.

Really is, but the EIS is involved before construction even begins, I don't see how this case even becomes an issue honestly. But then again, I know NOTHING about law.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• I'm just wondering if the Mariners put as much energy and money into building a winning team as they are trying to block the Arena they would never have attendence issues in the first place to worry about the competition.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:I'm just wondering if the Mariners put as much energy and money into building a winning team as they are trying to block the Arena they would never have attendence issues in the first place to worry about the competition.

Why would they want to do that? I mean, think of all the traffic congestion in the SoDo area if the had that kind of attendance!
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Essex J. Porter ‏@EssexKIRO7
    .@kccouncil members Reagan Dunn Larry Phillips and Peter Von Reichbauer change from “no” to “yes” to make vote unanimous #SeattleArena
    Retweeted by KIRO 7

So there's that.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Essex J. Porter ‏@EssexKIRO7
    .@kccouncil members Reagan Dunn Larry Phillips and Peter Von Reichbauer change from “no” to “yes” to make vote unanimous #SeattleArena
    Retweeted by KIRO 7

So there's that.

Lincoln's checks must not have cleared.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Retweeted by KIRO 7

So there's that.

Sweet!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• SeatownJay wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Retweeted by KIRO 7

So there's that.

Lincoln's checks must not have cleared.

No, they didn't. Scheduling, traffic and parking challenges driving to the bank. You know how it is.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• As ya'll now know, the deal is signed, sealed, and now waiting for what team we steal away... VICTORY!!! Don't worry about the stupid lawsuit from the port guys. They'll be slapped away like flies. All environmental reviews will be rubber stamped through, and we'll be home free. Our only worry now is finding teams.

It's kinda funny going back to page one when I started this thread, and ALL the UPS and DOWNS! We go from all excited to the frickin' deal's dead quite a few times. Dori Monson (KIRO FM Seattle, 12-3PM) is completely convinced that there is already a handshake deal for a team in place waiting for today's events. We'll find out if Dori is right pretty quick now. I still think it's gonna be the Kings. Time will tell. I think the Maloof's are in for a big-ass payday! JMHO.

I am now dreaming of the first "SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-PER-SONICS!!!!! to bellow thoughout the new arena for the first game back, with Kevin Calabro and his "MAGIC CARPET RIDE" once again hitting Seattle airways! WHOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!! *goosebumps!*

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Yes!

It's a good day to be a Seattle sportsfan.
    As for the port, they are simply doing the Mariner's bidding.

I wouldnt be surprised when its getting close to getting an NBA team, an NHL team comes knocking fast and beats the NBA back here. All the NHL has to do is get insurances the arena WILL be getting built. Just one guys opinion.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• An NHL team may come even if there isn't insurance an arena will get built. The Coyotes would be better off financially moving immediately and playing in Key Arena or the Tacoma Dome than they would be by staying in Phoenix, and I am not exaggerating. It's a mess. Hansen could probably pick the team up for pennies on the dollar and move them the day the NHL allows it to take place and have one occupant ready to roll from day 1 of arena completion.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Oilers Arena deal fell through today, so they are another possibility to move to Seattle.
    GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!
    Wiseguy
    NET Rookie

• Wiseguy wrote:Oilers Arena deal fell through today, so they are another possibility to move to Seattle.

I still just don't see that happening. That would be like, well, the Sonics leaving Seattle... :cussing:

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Wiseguy wrote:Oilers Arena deal fell through today, so they are another possibility to move to Seattle.
    GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!
    Wiseguy
    NET Rookie

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:56 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information