EPL 2012-2013

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:00 am
  • Yeah Gate, not sure why you think Arsenal deserved a point there.

    Agree with you on the inconsistency, Simon. Need to finish games.
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10814
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:39 pm
  • Yeah, Liverpool should have been up at least 3-0 with how vulnerable Arsenal's defense was playing, but you weren't and paid for it. I said Arsenal deserved the point because of the fight back though the way you guys apparently are reading it you must think I'm saying Liverpool didn't deserve any points, they deserved at least a point, Liverpool deserved no less than a point. And again both teams had great chances at the end and both teams couldn't pull it through so let's just deal with it and not cause another stupid argument. As for the dives. First, what dive by Podolski? Second, I was at work listening to the game on talksport so I couldn't actually see the Giroud dive. And the reason I jump on Suarez about diving is cause it's so freaking obvious with him, not to mention he's admitted to diving.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:45 pm
  • Well this transfer deadline day is boring.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:15 pm
  • On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your clubs Winter Transfer Window.

    I'd say 4 out of 10 for Arsenal, resigning Walcott was probably the most important deal. The biggest gripe I have is that they waited until the absolute last second to do anything at all(Monreal's signing was confirmed after the window closed). Arsenal raiding Malaga once again was a bit of a surprise, and to the best of my knowledge Nacho Monreal is a fairly decent signing. Wish they had made more signings but it's better than doing nothing.


    Pretty big news hearing about Brek Shea joining fellow Countryman Geoff Cameron at Stoke City. I had a feeling Shea was gonna be Europe bound at some point.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:30 am
  • What I was trying to say was that Liverpool pissed that game away... should have had all three. this is a reoccurring them with them this season. Not so much about Arsenal, who were very fortunate that their two goals made any difference.

    Liverpool has the worst shot percentage of any team in the PL.... awesome stat.

    as for deadline day, id give Liverpool an 7.

    We needed strikers and attackers and got two very good ones. However, we also needed a Left back, CBack and DM and didnt even attempt it. It sounds like Diakate will be here in the summer, but the Arsenal game just reiterated their weaknesses in the back. Going to have to deal with it while making a run at 4-6
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4945
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:18 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Liverpool has the worst shot percentage of any team in the PL.... awesome stat.


    Didn't Liverpool lead the EPL in hitting the woodwork last year? Seems like they've gotten worse with their accuracy then.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:00 pm
  • Didn't see the Arsenal match, but I did listen to it on talksport. From what I heard, Arsenal actually played on the front foot from the word go for once. Begovic had a inspired performance in goal for Stoke and it took a nasty deflection to finally beat him, which to my knowledge was almost disallowed for Walcott being in an offsides position(luckily he was nowhere near the action so it was overruled by the head ref). I won't have a real definitive opinion until I see the whole match though, but it's nice to see Arsenal in a positive direction and now a point outside of the Top 4, provided Spurs muck it up tomorrow at West Brom.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:46 pm
  • Unlucky, but well played Liverpool. What a match too. 2 awesome Liverpool goals. Sturridge was great and Gerrard's goal was a Gerrard classic. But that goal of Aguero's was something else.

    Bale had a great goal too, although Spurs are still looking pretty scratchy. I can't believe that we didn't get a striker. Hopefully Adebayor can come back from South Africa with a bit of form. We're going to need him. We're looking really good until the ball goes in the box and there's no-one there to do anything with it. If Dzeko were on this team he'd probably have 15-20 goals already.
    User avatar
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1269
    Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 pm


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:30 pm
  • Liverpool definitely should've won. Spurs are now in dire need of Adebayor to get back asap and in form too otherwise, there'll be some goal scoring missing and Everton, Arsenal and maybe Liverpool can take advantage if not.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:33 pm
  • In case any of you guys ever miss a match and want to watch them in full, check this site out http://www.footballorgin.com/
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:14 am
  • Sweet site, Gate, thanks

    Liverpool didnt deserve to win anymore than they did against Arsenal. Failure to put away chances and another comical error (this time Reina) cost us points.

    (yes, im bitter... we played very well, and thats encouraging... but this is getting old)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4945
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:12 pm
  • So how long until Benitez gets fired? I think it's time for a clear out for the team.

    Ferguson is showing just how great a manager he is. Constantly rebuilding teams and remaining at the top. Imagine how much better United would be if the Glazers debt wasn't there and they could spend money on replacements for Giggs and Scholes.

    Mancini showing he ain't that great a manager. I think any semi competent coach could do better in the league and Champions league with unlimited money to spend on talent.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 248
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:12 pm
  • Just saw Cesc Fabregas' goal vs Uruguay, and I gotta say... great goalkeeping!
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:25 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:So how long until Benitez gets fired? I think it's time for a clear out for the team.

    Ferguson is showing just how great a manager he is. Constantly rebuilding teams and remaining at the top. Imagine how much better United would be if the Glazers debt wasn't there and they could spend money on replacements for Giggs and Scholes.

    Mancini showing he ain't that great a manager. I think any semi competent coach could do better in the league and Champions league with unlimited money to spend on talent.



    Hold on? United's lack of depth is the Glazers fault? But Ferguson is a great manager because he's taking a 27million pound summer signing in Robin Van Persie and riding him like a farm mule? Doesnt hurt that Kagawa is there as well....

    The Glazers have proven themselves fine owners of the Mancs. Any complaints from their fans are at best ignorant, atleast hypocritical and at worst plain xenophobia. United can p--- off

    Benitez will last the season, but thats it. I assume Mourinho is first in line. However, I dont see Mancini lasting either, so which poorly run, unorganized PL team claims him? I say he goes to City. Chelsea will be left with hiring a retread (and yes, Mourinho is a retread, but not quite at the level of Scolari for example)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4945
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:35 am
  • Chelsea are a shambles ATM. Benitez gets most of the blame, but that team is just all over the place. The talent is too sporadic and the age is showing. they need a world class CM to compliment Mata and hazard, and they really need to get some proper strikers up front. their defense could use a few strong pieces, too. Still, they should be winning more games with that squad.
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10814
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:14 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:So how long until Benitez gets fired? I think it's time for a clear out for the team.

    Ferguson is showing just how great a manager he is. Constantly rebuilding teams and remaining at the top. Imagine how much better United would be if the Glazers debt wasn't there and they could spend money on replacements for Giggs and Scholes.

    Mancini showing he ain't that great a manager. I think any semi competent coach could do better in the league and Champions league with unlimited money to spend on talent.



    Hold on? United's lack of depth is the Glazers fault? But Ferguson is a great manager because he's taking a 27million pound summer signing in Robin Van Persie and riding him like a farm mule? Doesnt hurt that Kagawa is there as well....

    The Glazers have proven themselves fine owners of the Mancs. Any complaints from their fans are at best ignorant, atleast hypocritical and at worst plain xenophobia. United can p--- off


    Benitez will last the season, but thats it. I assume Mourinho is first in line. However, I dont see Mancini lasting either, so which poorly run, unorganized PL team claims him? I say he goes to City. Chelsea will be left with hiring a retread (and yes, Mourinho is a retread, but not quite at the level of Scolari for example)


    Do you not think Utd's extravagant debt has some factor in player spending? They pay millions in debt interest alone. Pre Glazers they were debt free as a PLC and possibly the best run team going. Without loan and debts to pay off they would have been spending that money on the team. I personally hate Man Utd but I find it frightening to think what they would be like without the handicap of debt. Ferguson is a great manager because he consistently adapts to survive, has rebuilt numerous teams and outlasted every challenger that has came his way: Mourinho, Wenger, Mancini, Benitez etc. Everyone thought he was finished when Arsenal dominated for a few years, he came back, same with Mourinho. He's also not afraid to kick out a fan favorite rightly or wrongly who he feels has become a nuisance in the team in the team such as Keane, Beckham and Staam (probably his biggest mistake). That's before you even take his success at Aberdeen into account. His biggest failing at United is probably not winning more Champions League trophies.

    I think he will retire at the end of the season if they win the league. I think either Mourinho or Moyes will take over.

    I'm reluctant to think that Benitez will last the season, what a strange appointment.

    Mancini will be there till the end of the season but his dismal Champions League campaign is grounds for sacking already.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 248
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:35 am
  • Glasgow... they spent more in the summer window than all but 2 PL teams? How is that "saddled with debt?" they spend plenty... the debt excuse is a handy way for xenophobic United fans to find any fault with American owners. Ferguson is a survivor for sure, there can be no dount. Im not going to crown him though. he's also a wind up machine, oversimplifying the game, refusing to change or adapt. they are three long balls away from being stoke city right now. but oh well, im just not a United fan and think Ferguson's rewarded far too much for his lack of depth and criticized far too less for his hypocritical antics. You says he not afraid to kick out a fan favorite... but he's too afraid to rightly criticize his players for the same thing he rails the press on over other players. the man's hypocrisy is almost laughable these days

    One of United's biggest issues of late is Ferguson's inability to keep some of his younger players... and that list is growing. if you want depth, dont spend 45 million on two players when you can spend that on 5. But who does he blame? Spurs for "tapping up" his player who already left, and the rest of the world for not simply bowing down to his whims.

    the sooner he retires the better
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4945
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:25 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Glasgow... they spent more in the summer window than all but 2 PL teams? How is that "saddled with debt?" they spend plenty... the debt excuse is a handy way for xenophobic United fans to find any fault with American owners. Ferguson is a survivor for sure, there can be no dount. Im not going to crown him though. he's also a wind up machine, oversimplifying the game, refusing to change or adapt. they are three long balls away from being stoke city right now. but oh well, im just not a United fan and think Ferguson's rewarded far too much for his lack of depth and criticized far too less for his hypocritical antics. You says he not afraid to kick out a fan favorite... but he's too afraid to rightly criticize his players for the same thing he rails the press on over other players. the man's hypocrisy is almost laughable these days

    One of United's biggest issues of late is Ferguson's inability to keep some of his younger players... and that list is growing. if you want depth, dont spend 45 million on two players when you can spend that on 5. But who does he blame? Spurs for "tapping up" his player who already left, and the rest of the world for not simply bowing down to his whims.

    the sooner he retires the better


    They were spending that amount on players pre takeover and debt, this was before the stupendous SKY and BT new deal riches as well. Considering they are probably the biggest soccer franchise in terms of turnover and exposure spending that much is small change. Living in Seattle, the amount of people that i've came across that claim that Man United or Barcelona are their European team is staggering. Yet apart from Messi, many of them couldn't tell you a thing about them. In the UK people wear Yankees baseball caps, yet think it is a brand rather than a baseball team.

    I agree with you that Ferguson has made a few mistakes lately. Sticking with Ferdinand who is past it and Vidic who is injury prone while getting rid of Pique was crazy. However, I think he is the master of the mind games to be honest and he has always won at them. Wenger, Benitez and Mourinho got sucked in and lost. At Aberdeen he created a siege mentality claiming that the Scottish media and refs were Glasgow biased, which worked wonders for his team. The only manager almost as good as him at mind games is Mourinho. This is arguably won of the poorest United teams in a long time in terms of quality, the fact he is well clear in the league despite Chelsea and City spending money like it is going out of fashion must be respected. As for not hearing criticism of his players, I think he tries to protect them in public whilst kicking their asses in private. If you read Roy Keanes autobiography you'll see how him and the club handle any trouble that players get into on or off the park. He has spies everywhere.

    I think he will retire this season. The team needs rebuilding and I don't think he is interested in building another one hence the patchwork job this year. I hate the fact i'm defending Ferguson, he can be hugely unlikable but he is good at what he does.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 248
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:46 pm
  • I'm not trying to defend Man Utd too much but the fact they are still competing with the big spenders of Chelsea and City is pretty good going.

    I still think Arsenal can always be good again if Wengers future replacement actually sorted out the spine of the team. They won Championships with a spine of Seaman, Adam/Campbell/Keown, Viera, Bergkamp and Henry. They've never been that solid down the middle since.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 248
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:49 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote: I hate the fact i'm defending Ferguson, he can be hugely unlikable but he is good at what he does.


    I think this is pretty much spot on. He comes across as a knob and a bully but he has had a hell of a career.

    As far as his continued success goes, the financial situation of the club may have changed somewhat but United are still spending way more on fees and wages than all but 2 or 3 other clubs. In reality, it's no surprise that United, City and Chelsea have been the only clubs to win the league in the last decade, is it?
    User avatar
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1269
    Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 pm


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 pm
  • Just saw your last post. Agreed, largely. I think Ferguson spends his money more wisely than Mancini and Abramovich. He still spends a tonne of money though.
    User avatar
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1269
    Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 pm


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:13 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote: I hate the fact i'm defending Ferguson, he can be hugely unlikable but he is good at what he does.


    I think this is pretty much spot on. He comes across as a knob and a bully but he has had a hell of a career.

    As far as his continued success goes, the financial situation of the club may have changed somewhat but United are still spending way more on fees and wages than all but 2 or 3 other clubs. In reality, it's no surprise that United, City and Chelsea have been the only clubs to win the league in the last decade, is it?


    Arsenal as well in '04. All English teams are spending crazy money at the moment compared to most leagues and in all honesty, outside of the top 6 the quality is not that great considering the sums involved. When crap like Robbie Savage and Titus Bramble are multi millionaires despite being very very average players you know something ain't right. The debts some of the lower EPL teams have is frightening. What you'll find though is that the English national team are in for a long period of decline. Why spend time developing young English talent through youth academies when you can buy foreign talent from abroad who are first team ready?

    What you are now finding is that a lot of decent young English players are in the Championship. Some make it and get sold on for big fees to EPL teams but other prospects will end up remaining at Championship standard due to the standards of teams they are playing against.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 248
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:58 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Arsenal as well in '04. All English teams are spending crazy money at the moment compared to most leagues and in all honesty, outside of the top 6 the quality is not that great considering the sums involved. When crap like Robbie Savage and Titus Bramble are multi millionaires despite being very very average players you know something ain't right. The debts some of the lower EPL teams have is frightening. What you'll find though is that the English national team are in for a long period of decline. Why spend time developing young English talent through youth academies when you can buy foreign talent from abroad who are first team ready?

    What you are now finding is that a lot of decent young English players are in the Championship. Some make it and get sold on for big fees to EPL teams but other prospects will end up remaining at Championship standard due to the standards of teams they are playing against.


    I think you'll find that there are one or two teams at the top of most European leagues that spend like crazy. Anzhi, Zenit, Dynamo Kiev, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Malaga, Bayern Munich, Juventus, AC, Inter, PSG and Galatasaray are teams from off the top of my head that I'm guessing spend more than Spurs or Arsenal. But your point is valid, the finances of football are screwed up and it makes the product less appealing (in my mind) than the likes of the NFL, NRL, Super XV in terms of being an interesting league to follow.

    The Dutch and Portuguese leagues are exceptions, I think.

    As for the English talent, I'm not convinced that the influx of foreigners is entirely to blame for British teams being pony of late. The attitude to sport in schools is utterly lamentable, pathetic even. I'm planning to be back in New Zealand by the time my eldest son is at an age to play sports (should he want to) and a large part of that is that provision for sports over here is a joke.
    User avatar
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1269
    Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 pm


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:08 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I still think Arsenal can always be good again if Wengers future replacement actually sorted out the spine of the team. They won Championships with a spine of Seaman, Adam/Campbell/Keown, Viera, Bergkamp and Henry. They've never been that solid down the middle since.


    Arsenal have a good foundation for the future with their "British Core", as they're calling it. The trick now is to not sell the best players they've got. Also, I don't really think Wenger's gonna stay past the end of his contract, at least not in the manager's position.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:11 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Arsenal as well in '04. All English teams are spending crazy money at the moment compared to most leagues and in all honesty, outside of the top 6 the quality is not that great considering the sums involved. When crap like Robbie Savage and Titus Bramble are multi millionaires despite being very very average players you know something ain't right. The debts some of the lower EPL teams have is frightening. What you'll find though is that the English national team are in for a long period of decline. Why spend time developing young English talent through youth academies when you can buy foreign talent from abroad who are first team ready?

    What you are now finding is that a lot of decent young English players are in the Championship. Some make it and get sold on for big fees to EPL teams but other prospects will end up remaining at Championship standard due to the standards of teams they are playing against.


    One only really needs to look at PSG if you want an example of quantity not equalling quality. They've been buying like crazy and even though they're league leaders, it's pretty obvious that there's little to no chemistry between the players on the field for them.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:42 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I still think Arsenal can always be good again if Wengers future replacement actually sorted out the spine of the team. They won Championships with a spine of Seaman, Adam/Campbell/Keown, Viera, Bergkamp and Henry. They've never been that solid down the middle since.


    Arsenal have a good foundation for the future with their "British Core", as they're calling it. The trick now is to not sell the best players they've got. Also, I don't really think Wenger's gonna stay past the end of his contract, at least not in the manager's position.


    I still think they are soft at the back and need an enforcer in midfield i.e a Viera. Wanyama would be perfect for you guys.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 248
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:45 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Arsenal as well in '04. All English teams are spending crazy money at the moment compared to most leagues and in all honesty, outside of the top 6 the quality is not that great considering the sums involved. When crap like Robbie Savage and Titus Bramble are multi millionaires despite being very very average players you know something ain't right. The debts some of the lower EPL teams have is frightening. What you'll find though is that the English national team are in for a long period of decline. Why spend time developing young English talent through youth academies when you can buy foreign talent from abroad who are first team ready?

    What you are now finding is that a lot of decent young English players are in the Championship. Some make it and get sold on for big fees to EPL teams but other prospects will end up remaining at Championship standard due to the standards of teams they are playing against.


    One only really needs to look at PSG if you want an example of quantity not equalling quality. They've been buying like crazy and even though they're league leaders, it's pretty obvious that there's little to no chemistry between the players on the field for them.


    City have the exact same problem. It's a bunch of mercenaries banded together for the money. Chelsea had the same issue under Ranieri and it was only until Mourinho came that he built a proper team and had the personality to get those players playing for him. Chelsea now have the same issues again though with managers signing players who are only there for the money. Torres for example looks completely disinterested.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 248
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:32 pm
  • Glasgow, you're new here so you can be forgiven, but take our advise - try not to engage Gatehawk in conversation much.

    You're welcome.
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10814
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:59 am
  • PSG have no chemistry? arent they in the final 16 of the Champs League? And thats without Lucas Moura playing.... ridiculous statement.

    Anyways... can begrudgingly admit to Ferguson's endurance as a manager.... but again I cant support any argument that suggests United are being somehow held back financially. You can post a spreadsheet on here if you want, but as it stands the Red Devils are running out the likes of De Gae, Rooney, RvP, Young, Evra, Kagawa etc at a very high pay each week. Seems hypocritical to suggest they need more money. Do they spend as much as City and Chelsea? No, but noone does outside of PSGs recent splurge and Madrids spree to catch Barca. Ferguson has spent better than his counterparts, which suggests his survival. I see Rodgers trying something similar to Wenger and Ferguson over the next couple windows at Liverpool, but with one significant (20 million plus) purchase coming in.

    I dont like that we assume players who take high paydays to play at big clubs are "mercenaries" in one post, but suggest that Champs League is a major motivator in another. Which is it? are they mercenaries or motivated to play in the highest competition? Is RvP a mercenary? Fabregas? Moura/Modric/Ronaldo? Professional athletes should be given the chance to seek out new opportunities. Some seem to only condemn when its an easy fit, and overlook when it doesnt suit their argument.

    City players, for example, are not mercenaries in my mind. They want that big game. City and Chelsea just have brought the right balance of talent in. Not on the players as much as they manager and DOC. But thats another post all together.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4945
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:52 am
  • All the talk about money in futbol and especially the EPL makes me even more proud to be an Athletic Bilbao supporter. Even then, the crazy $ game is starting to effect us as well, what with Bayern Munich agreeing to pay the 45$ million buyout clause on Javi Martinez and Fernando Llorente refusing to sign for 4 million a year. I won't say that futbol is ruined because of this but when you couple it with the corruption, match fixing, it's obvious the game needs a makeover.

    That said, I'll always be proud of the way Athletic handles their business and goes with NOTHING but homegrown players. Gotta love it.

    AUPA ATHLETIC!!!
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1402
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:24 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:PSG have no chemistry? arent they in the final 16 of the Champs League? And thats without Lucas Moura playing.... ridiculous statement.


    I'm just going from what I've heard, and it's mostly involving them when playing in Ligue 1.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:25 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Glasgow, you're new here so you can be forgiven, but take our advise - try not to engage Gatehawk in conversation much.

    You're welcome.


    You should talk, you telling him to not talk with me, and yet you're normally the first to reply to my posts.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:27 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Glasgow, you're new here so you can be forgiven, but take our advise - try not to engage Gatehawk in conversation much.

    You're welcome.


    You should talk, you telling him to not talk with me, and yet you're normally the first to reply to my posts.


    I'm always just trying to troll you, but he seemed to be genuinely trying to converse with you. Even you know that's a bad idea.
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10814
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:54 pm
  • So who is getting relegated? I'd love to see Wigan go down but they always seem to avoid it by the skin of their teeth.

    I think: QPR, Reading and either Norwich/Villa.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 248
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:36 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Glasgow, you're new here so you can be forgiven, but take our advise - try not to engage Gatehawk in conversation much.

    You're welcome.


    You should talk, you telling him to not talk with me, and yet you're normally the first to reply to my posts.


    I'm always just trying to troll you, but he seemed to be genuinely trying to converse with you. Even you know that's a bad idea.


    As long as he doesn't start an argument where no one can win, let him do what he wants
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:38 am
  • Who else thinks Spurs this season rely as much on Bale as Arsenal did last year with RvP? Because to me, it seems like Spurs would be in a cluster**** of trouble without him.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:50 am
  • Well unless Sunderland makes some kind of change, I can't see them even challenging Szczesny's net anymore in this game, they're finding it difficult just to get the ball out of their half.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:58 am
  • This just in. QPR well & truly suck. Can the PL just go ahead and relegate them now to avoid wasting people's time the rest of the season?
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 6105
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:38 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:Well unless Sunderland makes some kind of change, I can't see them even challenging Szczesny's net anymore in this game, they're finding it difficult just to get the ball out of their half.


    Yeah, I almost jinxed Arsenal with that comment, didn't I?
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:54 pm
  • Mancini out.

    Unbelievable.

    This is one of the worst PL years in my memory, United are going to win because they're slightly less mediocre than everyone else, and because RVP hasn't gotten injured.

    Jammie bastards.
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10814
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:37 pm
  • I don't think City's players didn't really do any thing to help Mancini today
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:49 pm
  • Its almost sad to see the PL at this state of mediocrity. There are maybe 4-5 really world class players in the league right now (Suarez, RvP, Aguero and Bale who may be the 3rd best player in the world at the moment) the PL is suffering from thus lack of genuine talent and may lose more players in the summer. Not only do Bale and Suarez need to stay but PL teams need to attract more talent. It wont be hard with the dram of the German league, the three Spanish teams and FFP
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4945
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:52 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Its almost sad to see the PL at this state of mediocrity. There are maybe 4-5 really world class players in the league right now (Suarez, RvP, Aguero and Bale who may be the 3rd best player in the world at the moment) the PL is suffering from thus lack of genuine talent and may lose more players in the summer. Not only do Bale and Suarez need to stay but PL teams need to attract more talent. It wont be hard with the dram of the German league, the three Spanish teams and FFP


    I think it's more that the EPL was due for a down year, mostly after last season.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:06 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Its almost sad to see the PL at this state of mediocrity. There are maybe 4-5 really world class players in the league right now (Suarez, RvP, Aguero and Bale who may be the 3rd best player in the world at the moment) the PL is suffering from thus lack of genuine talent and may lose more players in the summer. Not only do Bale and Suarez need to stay but PL teams need to attract more talent. It wont be hard with the dram of the German league, the three Spanish teams and FFP


    I blame Chelsea and City for the lack of talent. Overseas clubs now seem to be adding £10 million to the value of their players because these reckless chumps have shown that they're prepared to pay it. They appear to believe that all English clubs are in the same financial situation. For clubs who are actually concerned with staying solvent the top young talent is much harder to find at a sensible pric than it was 6 - 7 years ago.
    User avatar
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1269
    Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 pm


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:36 am
  • There is no logic in "the league is due". Yes it ended fantastically last year. The two top teams combined for the highest point total in decades. But that can't mask the clear issue thatother leagues are putting out a better product, even last year. While City-United was a great end.... where was the drama in the rest of the league? And how has that dram led to an influx of new talent? It hasn't. While I should add Mata to that list of world class players the league did lose Modric. Chelsea won the Champs league but was massively outplayed by Bayern and Barca. The English teams this year are underdogs in their upcoming ties.

    I agree with Spur... City and Chelsea may have pushed the league to untenable heights of spending. But there is something else. Neymar, Lucas, Falcoa are not even considering the PL. Pep passed up obvious openings at City, Chelsea and maybe United for Germany. Bale and Suarez may be leaving. They will no doubt be well sought after in Spain this summer.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4945
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:08 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:There is no logic in "the league is due". Yes it ended fantastically last year. The two top teams combined for the highest point total in decades. But that can't mask the clear issue thatother leagues are putting out a better product, even last year. While City-United was a great end.... where was the drama in the rest of the league? And how has that dram led to an influx of new talent? It hasn't. While I should add Mata to that list of world class players the league did lose Modric. Chelsea won the Champs league but was massively outplayed by Bayern and Barca. The English teams this year are underdogs in their upcoming ties.

    I agree with Spur... City and Chelsea may have pushed the league to untenable heights of spending. But there is something else. Neymar, Lucas, Falcoa are not even considering the PL. Pep passed up obvious openings at City, Chelsea and maybe United for Germany. Bale and Suarez may be leaving. They will no doubt be well sought after in Spain this summer.


    I was thinking of the action-reaction thing. Last season was one of the most exciting seasons of the EPL, so I feel it could have been that this season is the result of it and the EPL is suffering while trying to follow up that and it's just not happening this season.

    I think there's a number of reasons why those 3 players are turning down the EPL, but I don't really think it's solely because they don't want to. With Falcao, Atletico is actually in title contention in La Liga, though Barca don't look like they're gonna lose it, so it could be Atletico is refusing to sell him at the moment. Neymar, it's really anyone's guess as to his true reasoning. Lucas, it was simply a case of PSG offering more than United and other EPL clubs that were interested.

    As for Pep, a blind donkey could see why he chose Bayern Munich over City and Chelsea. I think most big name managers are afraid to take the Chelsea job because of Abramovic. And then City, is a lot tougher to figure out this reason, but I think it's more that Pep just didn't want to deal with the craziness the City job would bring.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:15 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Its almost sad to see the PL at this state of mediocrity. There are maybe 4-5 really world class players in the league right now (Suarez, RvP, Aguero and Bale who may be the 3rd best player in the world at the moment) the PL is suffering from thus lack of genuine talent and may lose more players in the summer. Not only do Bale and Suarez need to stay but PL teams need to attract more talent. It wont be hard with the dram of the German league, the three Spanish teams and FFP


    I blame Chelsea and City for the lack of talent. Overseas clubs now seem to be adding £10 million to the value of their players because these reckless chumps have shown that they're prepared to pay it. They appear to believe that all English clubs are in the same financial situation. For clubs who are actually concerned with staying solvent the top young talent is much harder to find at a sensible pric than it was 6 - 7 years ago.


    You maybe onto something there. It might make sense that some teams are price fixing their players solely cause City, and Chelsea, are willing to way more than a player is actually worth.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:58 am
  • Again Gate, aside from agreeing through disagreement I'm not sure what you're on about. A blind monkey? At what point did the German league become a stronger pull than the PL? Peps choosing the German league because its easy? No... and while Chelsea may be unstable, City isn't. He chose Germany because that league is on the rise. Its financially stable, competitive and developing. The PL is on the way down. That's the point. Lucas chose PSG because they can offer more. Falcoa will go to Italy, Real or Barca in the summer because the success rate is higher. Basically everything I said you agreed with then tried to explain. The explanations aren't necessary, but they aren't anoloies, nor each singular. Pep, Cavani, Neymar, Lucas, Falcoa will all end up outside of England for the same basic premise. Its the same one that may draw Suarez and Bale away. The PL right now is not looked on as the ultimate in football. Last years dramatic finale and chelseas herpics did nothing to add to the allure either (what world class players joined the PL this summer.... and don't bore me with Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool additions. None were world class. They represent the new PL.. almost moneyball additions)

    Ericksen is this summers big target. Where he goes will say alot
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4945
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:03 pm
  • I want to say that it may not be a bad thing. Purchases like Borini, Coutinho, Holtby, Giroud, Sissokho, Kagawa may help overturn the precedent set by the Chelseas and Citys. They can only help the health of the league. But the PL may not see a truly world class addition for a couple of windows. So why the Neymars, Ronaldos, Alonsos, Lucas' go elsewhere, and the Dortmunds and Schalkes continue to develop in their own buildings, the PL may have to wait and create more balance. Because of that, as peaches said, the mediocrity will continue
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4945
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL 2012-2013
Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:58 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Again Gate, aside from agreeing through disagreement I'm not sure what you're on about. A blind monkey? At what point did the German league become a stronger pull than the PL? Peps choosing the German league because its easy? No... and while Chelsea may be unstable, City isn't. He chose Germany because that league is on the rise. Its financially stable, competitive and developing. The PL is on the way down. That's the point. Lucas chose PSG because they can offer more. Falcoa will go to Italy, Real or Barca in the summer because the success rate is higher. Basically everything I said you agreed with then tried to explain. The explanations aren't necessary, but they aren't anoloies, nor each singular. Pep, Cavani, Neymar, Lucas, Falcoa will all end up outside of England for the same basic premise. Its the same one that may draw Suarez and Bale away. The PL right now is not looked on as the ultimate in football. Last years dramatic finale and chelseas herpics did nothing to add to the allure either (what world class players joined the PL this summer.... and don't bore me with Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool additions. None were world class. They represent the new PL.. almost moneyball additions)

    Ericksen is this summers big target. Where he goes will say alot


    We both know, the German league is far from easy, and you're right, the Bundesliga doesn't have a stronger pull than the EPL, but even I would choose Bayern Munich over the likes of Chelsea and City. And while I never actually said City are unstable, Manchester City are basically a tightrope act due to all the ego they are buying, though they did offload a massive chunk of it with Balotelli's transfer to Milan, but honestly in my mind, City are still a few steps from turning into a full on train wreck of a club, and it's mostly to do with the outrageous wages that the players are being paid, half of which are being paid 150+ to sit on the bench for at least 60 minutes.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


PreviousNext


It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:55 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests