Thunder Lose a Heartbreaker

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Thunder Lose a Heartbreaker
Wed May 15, 2013 8:33 pm
  • .... to end their run in the playoffs.

Here's to a lot of depressed fans in Oklahoma City, good times! :thirishdrinkers:

(the curse lives on)
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Re: Thunder Lose a Heartbreaker
Wed May 15, 2013 8:34 pm
  • Suck it zombie sonics! :twisted:
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 8:42 pm
  • Suck it Clay Clay, Suck it Stern!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 15, 2013 8:43 pm
  • Good.

yes I like durant ok.. but I have sour grapes :-)
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 10:28 pm
  • Now Undead Grizzlies need to die too... I don't think I could handle seeing them win a title.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed May 15, 2013 11:13 pm
  • A bit of a bright spot on a bad bad day!!!
    "I didn't do anything...i just headbutted him!"
    purpleworld
    NET Starter

Thu May 16, 2013 5:54 am
  • KARMA!
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 7:29 am

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 7:58 am
  • LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Clay sucks balls!!! bahahahaha
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 8:26 am
  • How'd your team do this year?

That's what I thought.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 16, 2013 8:40 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:How'd your team do this year?

That's what I thought.

Nice try, but that comment doesn't hurt at all. We've already thoroughly processed the thought and pain of not having a team.

Now we freely bask in the pain of Bennett losing each and every opportunity for holding the Larry O'Brien trophy.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 8:55 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:How'd your team do this year?

That's what I thought.

They didn't lose two home games in the playoffs to the Grizzlies, that's for sure.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Thu May 16, 2013 9:46 am
  • AbsolutNET wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:How'd your team do this year?

That's what I thought.

They didn't lose two home games in the playoffs to the Grizzlies, that's for sure.

that's because they no longer exist.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 16, 2013 9:51 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:

That's what I thought.

This makes me feel good http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/928 ... -grizzlies

hilarious
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 9:52 am
    AbsolutNET wrote:

That's what I thought.

U mad?
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu May 16, 2013 10:01 am
  • TheRealDTM wrote: This makes me feel good http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/928 ... -grizzlies

hilarious

This is an honest question.

How can they be so invested in a team that is that new? It's like crying over your team that's an expansion team, brand new name and logo, colors and everything that's only existed for several years that lost a game.

It's one thing to be that invested in a team that has roots in a city, that you grew up watching, went to games with your dad, now you take your kids to the games. That has a history.

But get that upset over the Thunder losing? Who cares. In 10 or 15 years? K maybe sure. But now? Ridiculous. :Dunno:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 10:03 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote: This makes me feel good http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/928 ... -grizzlies

hilarious

This is an honest question.

How can they be so invested in a team that is that new? It's like crying over your team that's an expansion team, brand new name and logo, colors and everything that's only existed for several years that lost a game.

It's one thing to be that invested in a team that has roots in a city, that you grew up watching, went to games with your dad, now you take your kids to the games. That has a history.

But get that upset over the Thunder losing? Who cares. In 10 or 15 years? K maybe sure. But now? Ridiculous. :Dunno:

Maybe because they were gifted with such a talented roster that they are afraid they'll never see the likes of again.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 10:12 am
  • LOL, you guys... always looking for validation.

the thunder are doing just fine. They'll be perennial contenders for many years, and will very likely win at least one championship. We'll be just fine.

Losing in the second round to a very talented Grizzlies team when one of your star players - a top 5 player in the NBA, mind you - goes down injured is nothing to be sniffed at. But i'll let you guys keep thinking this is a victory for you.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 16, 2013 10:15 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:LOL, you guys... always looking for validation.

the thunder are doing just fine. They'll be perennial contenders for many years, and will very likely win at least one championship. We'll be just fine.

Losing in the second round to a very talented Grizzlies team when one of your star players - a top 5 player in the NBA, mind you - goes down injured is nothing to be sniffed at. But i'll let you guys keep thinking this is a victory for you.

How is it not a victory when they have to wait at least another year? Each extra year they have to wait, the more likely the team will start to break up.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 10:23 am

Lost two games at home and almost got swept- gonna win a championship!

He mad.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Thu May 16, 2013 10:24 am
  • Can't wait till Durant leaves OKC. He hates it there and will leave in 2 years.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 10:27 am

Yep the thunder will be just. Your big 3 in Durant, Westbrook and Harde...Oh wait that's right, Sam freaking Presti, traded away Harden!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA he actually valued Ibaka over Harden!!!! :th2thumbs: Goodluck with that
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 1:43 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:Can't wait till Durant leaves OKC. He hates it there and will leave in 2 years.

lol. What?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 16, 2013 2:13 pm
  • TheRealDTM wrote: This makes me feel good http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/928 ... -grizzlies

hilarious

That's the beauty of sports. Always some folks who want to make sports seem like epic life and death events. If you are a good story teller there may still be a place for you in sports journalism. I am more a meat and potatoes guy. This guy seems like Bob Costas.

"One cold, dark winter's night ..."
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Thu May 16, 2013 2:20 pm
  • i know it's not players fault they now in okc but i can't help it...so glad they got bounced!!
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie

Thu May 16, 2013 2:53 pm
    Hawkfan77 wrote:Can't wait till Durant leaves OKC. He hates it there and will leave in 2 years.

lol. What?

He read that he hates it on the internet.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu May 16, 2013 3:21 pm
  • I just love OKC and their fans enduring the small market blues. The tight fisted owner, doesn't want to keep the team together because he's making money, but not enough to you know, reinvest it in the team. Eventually Durant will get tired of fighting with Westbrook over shots, management's often incomprehensible fiddling, or lack there of, of the roster, and the totally mediocre coach. He'll leave for a better situation in time.

I love fans who haven't actually been through it, who have been gifted a winning team from the word go, bemoaning the agony of losing. Its all melodramatic bs because that's what they think being a sports fan is.

Btw, the team, the owner and the fans need to never complain about lack of money, or a financial disadvantage against big markets, or anything like that, this is the fans there wanted, this is how the game is played. They made your bed, sleep in it.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 4:08 pm
  • Ok, well we weren't gifted a winning team, we got a very bad team and were lucky enough to have a great GM who has drafter pretty well. First couple of years in OKC weren't great. I agree about the mediocre coach and possibly about the tight fisted owner, although he's already handed out 2 max deals, the Harden deal would have pushed them WAY over the luxury tax limit, plus Harden wanted starter minutes, and with Sefalosha, he wasn't going to get that. If Lamb pans out and the lottery pick from toronto comes good, then it will have been a good deal. Time will tell.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 16, 2013 4:40 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Ok, well we weren't gifted a winning team, we got a very bad team and were lucky enough to have a great GM who has drafter pretty well. First couple of years in OKC weren't great. I agree about the mediocre coach and possibly about the tight fisted owner, although he's already handed out 2 max deals, the Harden deal would have pushed them WAY over the luxury tax limit, plus Harden wanted starter minutes, and with Sefalosha, he wasn't going to get that. If Lamb pans out and the lottery pick from toronto comes good, then it will have been a good deal. Time will tell.

BULLSHIT, you gutted the Sonics, got Durant in the first draft after purposely losing to get the books looking bad. You then had a number of high picks out of the gate. Yes the GM that was brought in from the Spurs is very good, but by no means were you handed a crap club, the savvy moves of the GM getting picks for Sonics players before tanking built your franchise in OKC. That savvy GM was a Sonics GM before a Thunder GM on paper. The closest thing I can compare it to is how the Bulls were built with Jordan and Pippen or the Spurs giving away the farm for the chance to get Robinson and then lucking into Duncan.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu May 16, 2013 4:49 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Ok, well we weren't gifted a winning team, we got a very bad team and were lucky enough to have a great GM who has drafter pretty well. First couple of years in OKC weren't great. I agree about the mediocre coach and possibly about the tight fisted owner, although he's already handed out 2 max deals, the Harden deal would have pushed them WAY over the luxury tax limit, plus Harden wanted starter minutes, and with Sefalosha, he wasn't going to get that. If Lamb pans out and the lottery pick from toronto comes good, then it will have been a good deal. Time will tell.

BULLSHIT, you gutted the Sonics, got Durant in the first draft after purposely losing to get the books looking bad. You then had a number of high picks out of the gate. Yes the GM that was brought in from the Spurs is very good, but by no means were you handed a crap club, the savvy moves of the GM getting picks for Sonics players before tanking built your franchise in OKC. That savvy GM was a Sonics GM before a Thunder GM on paper. The closest thing I can compare it to is how the Bulls were built with Jordan and Pippen or the Spurs giving away the farm for the chance to get Robinson and then lucking into Duncan.

Easy there, left-foot. I didn't do any of that. The Sonics had been sucking for a fair few years by the time they were bought. Not like we inhereted a contender right away. There's no such thing as a sure thing in the draft. Westbrook, Ibaka and Harden were all seen as risk picks, however all of them panned out. We weren't 'handed a contender'. Pull your heads out of your arseholes.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 16, 2013 5:04 pm
  • Was it really that long ago that people forgot how shit REALLY went down? I'd type it up, but I'm on my phone and I don't feel like it.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu May 16, 2013 5:10 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Was it really that long ago that people forgot how shit REALLY went down? I'd type it up, but I'm on my phone and I don't feel like it.

Right but.....you on my side....right?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 16, 2013 5:14 pm
  • lol DOn't make me feel dirty, you guys did get a shitty, talented, but shitty young team.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu May 16, 2013 5:16 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:lol DOn't make me feel dirty, you guys did get a shitty, talented, but shitty young team.

Okay. We cool.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 16, 2013 5:17 pm
  • And the fact that we had the #2 pick to get Durant, had nothing to do with Bennett, the team was trash with a trash coach who we thought could take over for Nate McMillan, Howard Schultz practically knew nothing about basketball and I hate that man.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu May 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Thu May 16, 2013 5:46 pm
  • I hate the Thunder more than I hate the Yankees. Good effing riddance.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 5:47 pm
  • For the record, we were two years removed from a 50 win team that pushed the NBA champion Spurs to six games in the second round of the playoffs when Bennett took over the team. The cupboard wasn't that bare. It was a mediocre team that had one really bad year, Bennett buys the team, they get the number 2 slot in the lottery, get durant, clean house, play a couple growing pain years, bam, winners. Wasn't hard.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 5:53 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:For the record, we were two years removed from a 50 win team that pushed the NBA champion Spurs to six games in the second round of the playoffs when Bennett took over the team. The cupboard wasn't that bare. It was a mediocre team that had one really bad year, Bennett buys the team, they get the number 2 slot in the lottery, get durant, clean house, play a couple growing pain years, bam, winners. Wasn't hard.

It was really a text book rebuild lol
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu May 16, 2013 6:07 pm
  • Yes, completely, Presti did a great job with that. Haven't agreed, but I have enjoyed his moves to keep them on top, because they haven't been great.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 6:33 pm
  • This article is so beautiful, it makes me want to cry:
    When Did The Thunder Get So Depressing?

The Money Quotes:
    Even bigger picture? This team left Seattle and set off a chain reaction in two cities that still isn't resolved. We overlooked it because they turned into the most exciting, addictive roster in the NBA. Since then, the owner who moved them has refused to pay the luxury tax because he doesn't want to risk profits, even as his team's value has almost certainly appreciated by hundreds of millions of dollars. And so a team that seemed too good to be true 12 months ago has been stripped to its bare essentials.
    Biggest picture? Last year, the Thunder were the team you could point to if you wanted to make someone fall in love with the NBA.

This year, the Thunder turned into a team that embodies everything that should make someone cynical about loving the NBA.
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Thu May 16, 2013 7:58 pm
  • vedthree wrote:This article is so beautiful, it makes me want to cry:
    When Did The Thunder Get So Depressing?

The Money Quotes:
    Even bigger picture? This team left Seattle and set off a chain reaction in two cities that still isn't resolved. We overlooked it because they turned into the most exciting, addictive roster in the NBA. Since then, the owner who moved them has refused to pay the luxury tax because he doesn't want to risk profits, even as his team's value has almost certainly appreciated by hundreds of millions of dollars. And so a team that seemed too good to be true 12 months ago has been stripped to its bare essentials.
    Biggest picture? Last year, the Thunder were the team you could point to if you wanted to make someone fall in love with the NBA.

This year, the Thunder turned into a team that embodies everything that should make someone cynical about loving the NBA.

That is truly an amazing thing. I was worried they had a strong owner, coach and gm. It seems they have none of them. Buoyed by Durant and Westbrook this team has SAC/NO/MIL in it's future.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 8:00 pm
  • They'll be right back in title contention next season.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Thu May 16, 2013 8:53 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:They'll be right back in title contention next season.

Correct. That article is mostly opinion, with very little fact.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 16, 2013 8:58 pm
  • Don't forget that the Thunder also own Toronto's lottery pick this year. As well as 2 more future first round picks I believe from the Harden trade.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Thu May 16, 2013 9:06 pm
  • Let's hope they stick to "Their" legacy and draft a couple guys like Mohammed Sene and Johan Petro.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 10:03 pm
  • Man, it was exciting to be a Sonics fan in the 90's. We had that core of Kemp & Peyton, future HOF'ers. Every piece surrounding them was perfect. Played their own unique style of ball. They had some growing pains in the playoffs, but then put together that great run into the Finals.Tough draw - having to face the the best player in the game and all. That loss hurt ... but at least we knew we'd be back. Everything was clicking with that team, and their window HAD to be open for at least a few more seasons.

Of course, things just crumbled away. Team gambled on some big stiffs and got stuck with some horrible contracts. Ownership started caring more about the bottom line. Nickel & Dimed the role players at contract time and tried to replace them with cheaper versions. A lot of those guys were talented, but just couldn't recapture that same chemistry the original group had. Eventually the core imploded and the window slammed shut before we even realized it.

But yeah ... that's such a crazy, improbable scenario. I mean, there's no way that could happen to another team, right? :roll:
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Thu May 16, 2013 10:19 pm
  • vedthree wrote:Man, it was exciting to be a Sonics fan in the 90's. We had that core of Kemp & Peyton, future HOF'ers. Every piece surrounding them was perfect. Played their own unique style of ball. They had some growing pains in the playoffs, but then put together that great run into the Finals.Tough draw - having to face the the best player in the game and all. That loss hurt ... but at least we knew we'd be back. Everything was clicking with that team, and their window HAD to be open for at least a few more seasons.

Of course, things just crumbled away. Team gambled on some big stiffs and got stuck with some horrible contracts. Ownership started caring more about the bottom line. Nickel & Dimed the role players at contract time and tried to replace them with cheaper versions. A lot of those guys were talented, but just couldn't recapture that same chemistry the original group had. Eventually the core imploded and the window slammed shut before we even realized it.

But yeah ... that's such a crazy, improbable scenario. I mean, there's no way that could happen to another team, right? :roll:

Who's saying it couldn't happen? Stop being a muppet.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 16, 2013 11:05 pm
  • The Thunder and their "fans" are a joke. Five years from now when this team falls apart and they are fighting for an 8th seed or a lottery pick, their arena will be half full and none of the "fans" will care.

LOL@The Blunder
    McG
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2013 12:17 am
  • Lets see how attendence goes when Durant and Westbrook are playing for the Sonics , Boston, or the Lakers.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Next

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:15 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information