Are the Minnesota Timberwolves racist?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Further proof that people can be pretty damn stupid. The T'wolves only have 5 black players, so the obvious conclusion is:

Local civil rights advocate Ron Edwards and Tyrone Terrell, chairman of St. Paul’s African-American leadership council, have both weighed in.

Said Edwards:
“I think, personally, that it was calculated. Is this an attempt to get fans back in the stands? Minnesota, after all, is a pretty white state.”

Terrell had the following to say:
“How did we get a roster that resembles the 1955 Lakers? I think everything is a strategy. Nothing happens by happenstance.”

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/ ... d=12092836

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
pretty slick team, good fundamental basketball.

Ruby (when healthy) is a dime machine a point guard quarterback.. or wait no just a normal point guard. Kevin Love is the best 4 in the league and has a sweet stroke. Pekovic, Barea and AK are high energy/hustle guys who can do alot of different stuff on the court. Sucks they lost Beasely and Williams hasn't been very good since being drafted 2 overall but I really like this team.

sutz

Reaction score
Wow, that's a bit off. I know I have noticed that there are a lot of white offensive linemen in the NFL, more than in other positions, it seems.
I find that an interesting anomaly, not much else. Coaches and GMs better be color blind when evaluating talent, or their team will start to suck real fast. If the T-Wolves have the best players they can get, and a larger percentage of them happen to be white, who cares? One major cause of this is probably the recent (past few years) surge in recruiting from Europe. There are more Chinese players, too.

In Pro sports, you can't be lazy about beating the bushes for talent, from anywhere.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
To be honest they have to be focusing on getting white players to end up with that many. They have a point they just shouldn't raise it.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
This has been going on in Utah for years. Look at their draft history. I know people who work in the front office.... there are ALWAYS rumblings that when they have two players rated that they go for the white player if it's close. Gordon Hayward is their most recent head scratcher. Pretty good player, but there were much better players available with the pick and his position wasn't really a position of need. Utah is very VERY white and so it makes sense for them to cater to their audience, but I think fans would rather win than look at the color of a man's skin. Karl Malone did fine here for years and years and was as beloved a man in this state as anybody that ever lived here. The Jazz have sort of skirted the issue and said in general terms that they want people here that want to be here, and have had several trades blow up because black players didn't want to come to Utah.

For my own family.... we're mixed race. My wife is black, my children are mixed race, and we've never had an issue. People treat us like anybody else here. Our neighbors are great, and have been in each of the 3 places we've lived. We live in Utah County which is sub 2% African American. I just think it's a bit silly that any team would do that. Get the best team you can regardless of race and reap the rewards that come with winning. If you can win with an all white team, then good luck. I know that Don Haskins was always a hero in my home for being the first coach to take an all black team to a title at Texas Western (I think that is what it is called) but is now UTEP. He didn't force the issue. He just found that his best chance at winning was starting those 5 guys and he was right.

tubbs51

Reaction score
a bit nitpicking but... Nobody calls racist when there's no white players on the team. Maybe that front office just think the players they have are better than the players they can get or just cant afford them...

Either way... stop bitching and complaining. there's 29 other NBA teams.

Tattooedseahawk

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1hb0zdto said:
This has been going on in Utah for years. Look at their draft history. I know people who work in the front office.... there are ALWAYS rumblings that when they have two players rated that they go for the white player if it's close. Gordon Hayward is their most recent head scratcher. Pretty good player, but there were much better players available with the pick and his position wasn't really a position of need. Utah is very VERY white and so it makes sense for them to cater to their audience, but I think fans would rather win than look at the color of a man's skin. Karl Malone did fine here for years and years and was as beloved a man in this state as anybody that ever lived here. The Jazz have sort of skirted the issue and said in general terms that they want people here that want to be here, and have had several trades blow up because black players didn't want to come to Utah.

For my own family.... we're mixed race. My wife is black, my children are mixed race, and we've never had an issue. People treat us like anybody else here. Our neighbors are great, and have been in each of the 3 places we've lived. We live in Utah County which is sub 2% African American. I just think it's a bit silly that any team would do that. Get the best team you can regardless of race and reap the rewards that come with winning. If you can win with an all white team, then good luck. I know that Don Haskins was always a hero in my home for being the first coach to take an all black team to a title at Texas Western (I think that is what it is called) but is now UTEP. He didn't force the issue. He just found that his best chance at winning was starting those 5 guys and he was right.

while Utah might have done that or not, there was also the fact that until Malone and his amazing point guard JS were actually going deep in the playoffs, most players didn't want to be traded or drafted by Utah under the idea that there was absolutely no reason they would want to live in or around Salt Lake.

Latest posts