3rd Sports Radio Station for Seattle

SeaTown81

Reaction score
http://seattletimes.com/html/othersport ... dio03.html

Can Seattle support three all-sports radio stations?

Carey Curelot, the program director at 1090 The Fan, is betting on it.

The station became the latest to join the sports radio fray in Seattle Wednesday when it changed formats from progressive talk to sports talk.

"There is a large audience available in Seattle for sports talk radio," Curelot said. "And we want to get a piece of it."

Owned by CBS, the station became one of about 50 of the company's stations nationally that went to an all-sports format on Wednesday. For now, the station largely features programming from the new CBS sports talk network.

The only local programming is the 3-6 p.m. shift featuring Steve Sandmeyer and Bill Swartz, each longtime local voices in the business.

The rest of the day will be devoted to shows from the CBS national sports talk network, such as Jim Rome from 9 a.m. to noon, Doug Gottlieb from noon-3 p.m. and John Feinstein from 6-7 p.m. The morning show will feature former New York Giants running back Tiki Barber, Brandon Tierney and Dana Jacobson from 6-9 a.m.

I've joked in the past that with only 2 pro sports teams, Seattle doesn't need 2 sports radio stations, let alone 3. But I'm all for choices. And with potential the potential addition of NBA and NHL, and the programming they bring, the need could be there. Curious if 1090 will try to program more local stuff or not.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
They are betting we get the NBA and NHL soon. I fully expect more local hosts once their "no compete" clauses are up.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
SeaTown81":1eh3tihw said:
http://seattletimes.com/html/othersports/2020044939_sportsradio03.html

The only local programming is the 3-6 p.m. shift featuring Steve Sandmeyer and Bill Swartz, each longtime local voices in the business.
I do like Sandmeyer quite a lot. Happy to see him get a gig of his own.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I don't see myself listening unless they get a deal with our incoming NBA/NHL team(s) or get some more local programming. I only listen to the national stuff on 710 and 950 if I'm stuck in my car and there's no local sports option, won't be seeking out 1090.

Seems like a bold move to go against two somewhat established entities with just about zero local programming unless they've got a feeling they're going to get a piece of the pie here.

Latest posts