NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:46 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Pink, you've been a f-ing hero in this thread. I check it every few days to ease my concerns.

Thanks.

This
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:12 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Pink, you've been a f-ing hero in this thread. I check it every few days to ease my concerns.

Thanks.

Haha, same here.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:39 pm
  • Any further updates? Michael Wilbon was just on Nba Live on ESPN and said the city of Seattles stock was down in terms of getting the Kings.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:05 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Any further updates? Michael Wilbon was just on Nba Live on ESPN and said the city of Seattles stock was down in terms of getting the Kings.

Stern told the media today in Sacremento that the offer needed more money to match what the Seattle offer had going for it. We will see, that may be enough hope to get Johnson and friends to see if they can up the ante.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:16 pm
  • Yeah, Stern said the two offers weren't even comparable. He also said he expects the gap to be reduced, but that the sides will meet on April 3rd to see what's what. Sounds like this thing could be wrapped up earlier than we thought; however, Stern is still giving Sac every chance in the world here.

Question is, though, if Sac CAN match the offer from Hansen, why wouldn't they from the get go? Why offer so much less initially? It's kind of embarrassing for them.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:26 pm
  • When I heatd johnson say the offer was competitive I knew things were looking up.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:27 pm
  • I think all were banking on the $75M owed to the city and minus the cost of relocation as evening the playing field or that would be my guess.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:41 pm
  • This apparently is KJ's big plan...
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:29 pm

Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:28 pm
  • mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch
    Still haven't seen anyone report the actual dollar amount of Sac offer. Trust me - it was very very low.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:39 pm
  • champagne still chilling on the ice...

The bid wasn't enough, Mastrov's and his team of 20 $1 million investors aren't strong enough to compete with our boys... I just wish it was official that the NBA will be back next season.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:39 am
  • Honestly I know we're obviously all sports fans on this board and so a lot of people might disagree with me on this... but this kind of stuff is why California is in the financial mess it is. You have the mayor of a major city in Calif seemingly working day and night to keep a sports team in the city. I mean it's ok if the public want to work day and night, but we are talking about the major of a city here. He has a job, first and foremost to serve all parts of the city, not just sports related. We hear rumors of him trying to "lend" the Sacramento investors money without requiring them to even pay it back? WTF.. and people wonder why California is in the mess it is. From an economical standpoint does it even make sense for the team to stay there? I havent even seen any reports of KJ commenting on those points at all, something that should be a key discussion point.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:24 am
  • The loan happened in 97, and it's believed that it's only going to be paid back when the team relocates, and the debt the Kings franchise owes to Sacramento would be forgiven if local ownership takes on the team.

But it would seem that Stern doesn't give one damn about it, and the bid was laughable in comparison to what Hansen, Ballmer, and the Nordstroms offered.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:53 pm
  • I'm gonna be honest with you guys, I think this will be my only hoorah for the NBA/Sonics coming back. I'm 25, who knows when the next time will be when we have this chance, next time (if this for some weird ass reason doesn't come to fruition) it might not mean as much to me the next time. I mean, I'll care but I probably won't be as emotionally invested in it as I am now.

I sincerely hope to god that this is the real thing, though.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:02 pm
  • April 18 is when we can throw the party. I wish they'd meet before that, but Stern doesn't want to look like he's dissing Sacramento. Everything KJ says is steeped in political BS - he says local investors have made an "extremely aggressive offer" to the Hansons when it is tens of millions less. He says "we have an arena location" as though the sac arena is a done deal, when they're years away from a highly iffy arena deal. He sounds good, but there's nothing there. If this is all KJ can come up with, then we can start buying green and gold jersies (knock wood, which I actually just did).
    DYSFUNCTIONAL NINERS WON'T MAKE PLAYOFFS
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/?p=6451
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:06 pm
  • There is the April 3rd meeting now, though. If Sac can't make a comparable bid by then, I'd imagine it'd be basically declared over.

I have a feeling they will put something together that at least lands in the realm of consideration, though.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:29 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:Honestly I know we're obviously all sports fans on this board and so a lot of people might disagree with me on this... but this kind of stuff is why California is in the financial mess it is. You have the mayor of a major city in Calif seemingly working day and night to keep a sports team in the city. I mean it's ok if the public want to work day and night, but we are talking about the major of a city here. He has a job, first and foremost to serve all parts of the city, not just sports related. We hear rumors of him trying to "lend" the Sacramento investors money without requiring them to even pay it back? WTF.. and people wonder why California is in the mess it is. From an economical standpoint does it even make sense for the team to stay there? I havent even seen any reports of KJ commenting on those points at all, something that should be a key discussion point.

Step back and think, if Greg Nickels had done as much as KJ has been doing what do you believe would be happening with the city council that was here at the time as well as the general publics general reaction?

I have one word...................UGLY

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:31 pm
  • Maybe they low-balled at first in hopes that they'd get some kind of commitment from the NBA if they upped their offer.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:39 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:Maybe they low-balled at first in hopes that they'd get some kind of commitment from the NBA if they upped their offer.

If they did then they are really stupid, with the Maloofs getting more money, the league getting millions for relocation money that gets dispersed to teams, additionally the bigger market in Seattle brings more in advertising and marketing revenue and team sales as far as merchandise. All things that up the bottom line for owners in the league. This deal isn't just about now, it's about years of income indirectly. Throw in the political clout of Balmer, Nordstroms and Hansen and their combined net worth for keeping the team viable and competitive and it's another big bonus. Stern has wanted to get Balmer into the league for a long time from what I have heard.

.Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:25 pm
  • Mitch tweeted that various sources have reported that the Sac bid was nearly $100 million less than Hansen's.

Oy vey.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:49 pm
  • 100 Mil?

Yeah............. Kings are done
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:54 am
  • pinksheets wrote:Mitch tweeted that various sources have reported that the Sac bid was nearly $100 million less than Hansen's.

Oy vey.

That's insulting to the nba lol
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:52 am
  • And in the mean time, I'm not getting any younger :180670: :bitenails: :pray:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:56 am
  • I think Seattle will come out with the Kings in the end. Its hard to imagine a large non-refundable deposit being made from Chris Hansens group if they were not confident a deal would be approved.

Looking forward to the Sonics returning to Seattle for next season!
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:22 pm
  • Hansen to make an announcement tonight at 5

Probably something small but still, news!
    ErikG803
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:09 pm

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:16 pm
  • ErikG803 wrote:Hansen to make an announcement tonight at 5

Probably something small but still, news!

Waitlist for tickets will go live on Thurs. 07-08 season ticketholders can reserve same seats. Go to Sonicsarena.com to reserve.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:26 pm
  • Actually a brilliant move, getting a ticket list for Key Arena to reserve priority will show fan interst and also show what sort of revenue the team can bring in vs Sacramentos established arena and their ticket sales. I'm betting there is a advertisement pool being started as well somewhere to establish key locations to further show income possibilities.

chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:01 pm
  • So here's where we are now:

In case you guys haven't heard....
    TOMORROW at 10 am you can put your name down on the official SONICS PRIORITY TICKET WAITLIST.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/sonicsarena

Planning on buying season tickets for next year in the Key? Put your name down here, you'll get a call in May with assistance on how to move forward with that. What about going for a multi-game package or maybe just a couple of games? From what I can tell, you can do that here as well. This serves two purposes: 1. to start getting the ball rolling for ticket sales and 2. to give Chris some hard numbers to bring with him to the NBA committee meeting on April 3rd.

Even if you're just thinking of buying season tickets or a package or a couple of pairs of tickets for 2 nights of b-ball, sign up. It might be important, it might not, but just sign up. If you want Sonics basketball, all you have to do is ask. If you end up not being able to afford it or whatever, doesn't matter, you aren't putting money down or entering a contract, just expressing interest. This is a big deal guys. So do it.

Also:

If you haven't seen yet, SonicsArena released some awesome conceptual pictures and video of the interior of the new arena:

http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/arena-renderings

Now in "don't worry, Sac's chances look small" news:

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/13/525794 ... rylink=cpy

And a newspiece on just how complicated the Downtown Plaza site would be for an arena:

http://www.kcra.com/news/New-Sacramento ... index.html

And they've got about 8 days to hammer out most of the details to give enough time for only 5 days of public review before a city council vote to approve a non-binding term sheet. That's what's necessary to have anything to bring to that same April 3rd committee meeting.

Those are the cold hard facts for now. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE sign up for the ticket waitlist tomorrow. Let's make a huge push, we're just about there.

And if you're ever looking to stay up to date on this stuff, don't forget http://blog.sonicsrising.com, where I get all or most of my information from, do all of my rollercoaster ride worrying and speculating before I come here and try to act like the cool, responsible adult.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:34 pm
  • Btw, just sign up for the priority list, don't cost you nothing and it's also if you're interested in single games too.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:13 pm
  • We crashed the site earlier!!!! Way to go Sonics fans!
    Like Throw said it costs nothing no obligations and at the very least shows support
    DO IT!!!!!
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:31 pm
  • THREE YEARS??? If I'm still alive I'll be too broke from going to watch the Hawks in Super Bowls, to afford trips to Seattle for the Sonics :3: :th2thumbs:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:32 pm
  • The "sonic rings" in the arena are awesome, but that doesn't mean I want to sit in them lol.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:49 pm
  • They just released photos of the arena configured for hockey and it looks pretty sweet!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:18 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:They just released photos of the arena configured for hockey and it looks pretty sweet!

Link?
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:22 pm
  • 425HawkSpark wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:They just released photos of the arena configured for hockey and it looks pretty sweet!

Link?

Here it is:
    http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/hockey-anyone
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:13 pm

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:35 pm
  • So apparently that Kehriotis guy is about the unveil his pretty much if not fully privately funded plan for the Kings in Sac.

That sounds scary, but it's not. This isn't KJ's plan, this doesn't involve a downtown arena like KJ wants, it just doesn't have that backing. All this will do is serve to muddy the waters, which helps Seattle's chances.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:24 am

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:10 pm

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:39 pm
  • Was listening to Ian Furness at work with my Walkman but KJR'S signal goes in and out. He teased something about Sacramento and I never heard anything else. Anyone else catch this ?
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:19 am
  • I just want to see a picture of your Walkman!
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 am
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:I just want to see a picture of your Walkman!

I hope he has a cassette player on it! god, I hope so.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:36 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:I just want to see a picture of your Walkman!

I hope he has a cassette player on it! god, I hope so.

I hope its the yellow sport one that was semi water resistant! Please let it be that one.
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:13 pm
  • Sorry fellas it the black radio version, says Sony Walkman on it, Fred Meyer still sells them, that's where I bought it in December.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:09 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Sorry fellas it the black radio version, says Sony Walkman on it, Fred Meyer still sells them, that's where I bought it in December.

Well, that is pretty ghetto, unless you carry it in a fanny pack.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:53 pm
  • LOL, It's work, not a fashion show. It's not that big, it's not nano small, it's about half the size of My iPhone.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:08 am
  • i uses to use my walkman on jogs back in the day... would have been great if not for all the cd skipping and such...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:26 am
  • hawker84 wrote:i uses to use my walkman on jogs back in the day... would have been great if not for all the cd skipping and such...

Thank god for my iPod when I go jogging.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:15 am
  • hawker84 wrote:i uses to use my walkman on jogs back in the day... would have been great if not for all the cd skipping and such...

You had a cd Walkman!? Fancy!

I rocked the cassette version, I wore my Pyromania Def Leopard tape out! :)

Shut up, I was 12!
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:15 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information