MLB Hall of Fame election results

jhawk91

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3ic361iq said:
jhawk91":3ic361iq said:
Wow when's the last time nobody got elected? That seems insane

1996. And now 16 times since 1940.

That's more than I would have guessed. Seems like the voting process is flawed if nobody at all gets in

jhawk91

Reaction score
I guess it's both good and bad. Stopping some that aren't quite so deserving but then you get what happened today to...hmmm idk

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I would put them in personally. I think its baseball's own fault for turning their heads for so long. Bonds, Clemens... these guys are Hall of Famers.

hawker84

Reaction score
i would put Pete Rose in before any of those guys.. yea he got busted betting, but he played the game the way it was suppose to be played, and played it better than anybody.... i would be fine with Clemens and McGuire getting in , even Sosa, they seemed to all be decent enough guys, but Bonds, not only was he a steroid cheatin freak, but a compete A hole to his team mates fans, and media.... screw him, i want to see him suffer with the notion of never getting in and never having his homerun record officially recognized as being legit... suck it Bonds.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I'll never sympathize with Pete Rose. Gambling on his own team's games is a greater integrity breach of the game than being one of obviously hundreds of MLB players juicing during the steroid era.

I'm glad that baseball has drawn a line in the sand and made players/managers gambling on games that they were involved in an instant perma-ban from the game. The fact that we haven't had a whiff of gambling scandal since Rose's only strengthens my feeling on that.

m0ng0

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1yp1rld8 said:
I'll never sympathize with Pete Rose. Gambling on his own team's games is a greater integrity breach of the game than being one of obviously hundreds of MLB players juicing during the steroid era.

I'm glad that baseball has drawn a line in the sand and made players/managers gambling on games that they were involved in an instant perma-ban from the game. The fact that we haven't had a whiff of gambling scandal since Rose's only strengthens my feeling on that.

So leave out his stats from being a manager, it was never proven he bet on baseball while playing.

m0ng0

Reaction score
the pomp and circumstance of no player was "worthy" of a first ballot induction is what annoys me.

Craig Biggio was a hell of a player, Piazza because he was "thought" to be a roider even though its never been proven? Edgar because he played DH? Lee Smith because he was a closer before there was a closer? Don Mattingly? Baseball is filled with such douchery

m0ng0

Reaction score
569 votes cast, 427 needed

Craig Biggio 388 (68.2%), Jack Morris 385 (67.7%), Jeff Bagwell 339 (59.6%), Mike Piazza 329 (57.8%), Tim Raines 297 (52.2%), Lee Smith 272 (47.8%), Curt Schilling 221 (38.8%), Roger Clemens 214 (37.6%), Barry Bonds 206 (36.2%), Edgar Martinez 204 (35.9%), Alan Trammell 191 (33.6%), Larry Walker 123 (21.6%), Fred McGriff 118 (20.7%), Dale Murphy 106 (18.6%), Mark McGwire 96 (16.9%), Don Mattingly 75 (13.2%), Sammy Sosa 71 (12.5%), Rafael Palmeiro 50 (8.8%).

By receiving fewer than 29 votes (less than 5 percent), Bernie Williams 19 (3.3%), Kenny Lofton 18 (3.2%), Sandy Alomar Jr. 16 (2.8%), Julio Franco 6 (1.1%), David Wells 5 (0.9%), Steve Finley 4 (0.7%), Shawn Green 2 (0.4%), Aaron Sele 1 (0.2%), Jeff Cirillo 0, Royce Clayton 0, Jeff Conine 0, Roberto Hernandez 0, Ryan Klesko 0, Jose Mesa 0, Reggie Sanders 0, Mike Stanton 0, Todd Walker 0, Rondell White 0 and Woody Williams 0 are no longer eligible for election by the BBWAA.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":38saf9ty said:
MidwestHawker":38saf9ty said:

I don't think it was ever proven or stated that he bet on his own team's games.

He belongs in the Hall for his accomplishments on the field.

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=132414&page=1

He admitted quite openly that he bet on his own team's games.

He followed a progression from, "No, I didn't bet on sports." --> "Okay, I bet football games, but never baseball." --> "Okay, I bet some baseball too, but never on the Reds." --> "Okay, I bet on my own team's games when I managed them." That was the last admission because he kept giving more and more up as his HOF eligibility ran out. We're not going to hear any more from him on that, but given his long record of denials and then subsequent partial admissions, I have a hard time buying that he necessarily always bet on his own team/never bet on their games as a player.