Sacramento Kings Fan here

salamander

Reaction score
Hi All,
Usually I'm here as a Seahawks fan(so stoked about the team), but today I'm here as a Sacramento Kings fan. The Sacramento Kings have possibly the best fans in basketball; until recently they could be considered the 12th man of the NBA. Unfortunately the Maloofs are simply incompetent and dont care about the team or city, and I wouldn't be surprised if over the last few years they have been intentionally tanking in order to move the team.

Now, obviously I don't want the team moved, but if they were to move I could think of no better place than my favorite city to visit, Seattle. The problem is, once the deal goes through the team wont be moved, it will be disolved. Essentially the Kings will no longer exist, and Seattle will pretend the Supersonics never left. This is my problem. C-Web will not have his banner up...Oscar Robinson will not have his banner up. The franchise will be dead...probably forever. Now I know this probably wont matter to most of you...and likely won't change a thing...but I just wanted you to hear it and understand. That is all.
-Paul

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
It would be nice if the Sonics paid tribute to your team and let them live on in spirit, maybe in some sort of historical section of the new stadium. Ala, hanging the banners for all the visitors to see, and read up on. I'm sure a lot of Seattle fans don't like the idea of stealing a team, but you Kings fans should know the team will be in good hands. It would be kind of a lie to have the history of the new Sonics, and leave out this vital chapter to whole story.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Isn't it better that way? Let Sacramento hold onto the history in the event that they get another team.

I think most people in Seattle hate the idea of the Thunder having any Sonics history, and I think most Sac fans would be livid if made some attempt to celebrate their history after stealing their team.

The Outfield

Reaction score
pinksheets":34i0ne6e said:
Isn't it better that way? Let Sacramento hold onto the history in the event that they get another team.

I think most people in Seattle hate the idea of the Thunder having any Sonics history, and I think most Sac fans would be livid if made some attempt to celebrate their history after stealing their team.

Agreed. Kings can have their history. We want our Sonics history and I personally want the Thunder to completely detach themselves from the Sonics as if they were a new team when they started in OKC. However, I'm not getting my hopes up that greedy-as-hell Clay Bennett would do that.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I've always had a soft spot for the Kings. Back in the day, the Key and Arco Arena were two of the loudest arenas in the NBA. C-Webb, Mitch Richmond, Jason Williams (White Chocolate), and now a kid I've heard of my whole life in Tacoma, Isaiah Thomas...it's had not to root for them.

It sucks how sh...y the Maloofs are. I think the NBA will recognize the type of fans you guys have just like with Seattle, and get you a guys another team with committed, competent owners if a move is inevitable. I agree with everyone else though...Sacramento should hold onto that history in the event you guys do get a new team.

Throwdown

Reaction score
A proven market, with no arena. Build it and will come back, just my opinion.

As for the history, I would've thought you guya preferred it that way? Chris Webber, Mitch Richmond, Oscar Robinson, and so on never played for us, and probably don't want their Jerseys hanging in Seattle. I know its like that for Payton, & Kemp.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
salamander":280vw4u5 said:
There will most likely never be a Kings again.
I disagree, if a new arena gets built down there you'll get a team back. Stern's "thing" is "new arenas". The reality of the situation IMHO is you will lose the current Kings to Seattle and will get another team in a year or 2 thru expansion if a new arena will get built. The NBA business model sucks as does David Stern!

Throwdown

Reaction score
Just to point out, the bucks situation might be coming a head. The owners now asking for a new arena, and from what I've read, no one cares about the Bucks in Milwaukee, could be wrong. But also their owner is a state senator I think, or something important lol.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Throwdown":2xd01edm said:
Just to point out, the bucks situation might be coming a head. The owners now asking for a new arena, and from what I've read, no one cares about the Bucks in Milwaukee, could be wrong. But also their owner is a state senator I think, or something important lol.

Well, whatever happens, it better happen quickly (ie within next 5 months) or we might lose the Sonics history altogether.

According to the agreement, if Seattle is granted an expansion team in the next five years, that franchise will share the Sonics' history with the Oklahoma City team.

If Seattle lands a team through relocation of an existing franchise, most likely the Oklahoma City team will retain sole possession of the Sonics history.
http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2008035531_soni06.html

Throwdown

Reaction score
Chriiiiiiiiiiiist, how can they do that????

Those people didn't see Payton and Kemp, they didn't see Ray Allen play out of his mind in the 05-06 playoffs against the Kings! They didn't see none of that!

The Outfield

Reaction score
I know. It's the part that kills me the most. I just don't get how they can steal a city's history like that.

Msfann

Reaction score
I think what the OP is trying to say is that if the team moves here it would leave their players and history in limbo like what happened with our players when the Sonics left and that if Sac never got a team again then that all just disappears pretty much and that's sad.

Sac fans would probably feel insulted if Seattle was to pay some kind of tribute to those players just like i would puke if i saw a Payton banner hanging where ever the thunder play.

After everything Seattle fans went through i feel really bad for kings fans and that helpless feeling they must be going through too.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
The Outfield":2epmb2hy said:
Throwdown":2epmb2hy said:

Well, whatever happens, it better happen quickly (ie within next 5 months) or we might lose the Sonics history altogether.

According to the agreement, if Seattle is granted an expansion team in the next five years, that franchise will share the Sonics' history with the Oklahoma City team.

If Seattle lands a team through relocation of an existing franchise, most likely the Oklahoma City team will retain sole possession of the Sonics history.

So basically..........we won't ever get our history from the Thunder? Crap, this situation just keeps getting worse and worse.

JOz56

Reaction score
The Outfield":1m80zr0t said:
Throwdown":1m80zr0t said:

Who in the hell gave that the ok? Not only to share the history but to potentially let it be gone forever? They need to be drawn and quartered.

Throwdown

Reaction score
That's one thing I love bout you okie bastards, y'all don't want it, your franchise started in 2008. I don't know what the NBAs doing.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I don't think Bennett even wanted it, hence the shared history. I think the NBA did it for historical reference, I guess. It's still a stupid situation for Sonics and thunder fans though. But I guess as long as Durants there along with Collison, the two teams will be joined at the hip.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I'd like to see a "Kings Section" which honors the history of that franchise until Sacramento gets a team, and then all that legacy stuff can go back to them. Those great players should not disappear from NBA history.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I dont wanna see no Purple, silver, and black unless its the new colors of an NHL team, in the arena. Just leave the Sactown stuff in Sactown, I don't want it, and Sacramento doesn't want us to have it, so what good would it be? None of that happened here in Seattle, we have no connection to it.

Put yourself in that situation, if OKC had all our retired jerseys and division championship, conference title, and world championship banners hanging out in their arena? I dunno bout you, but I'd be friggin livid if I saw that stuff in OKC.

Also, the great players from their history still have markers for their legacy, the basketball hall of fame is there, nothing they've done is gone forever just because the teams gone.

OP
OP
salamander

salamander

Reaction score
Just some perspective about the Kings history.

Franchise History:
Rochester Royals 1948-57
Cincinnati Royals 1957-72
Kansas City-Omaha Kings 1972-75
Kansas City Kings 1975-85
Sacramento Kings 1985-2013

I'm actually ok with the franchise moving and taking the history as this is how it's been historically for the Kings. Frankly I doubt the Sacramento will ever get a team again so I'd rather the franchise history be kept alive.

I'd also suggest that keeping the history with the franchise is much much more common in sports than dropping it, but perhaps that was just the past. I think the OKC move set a bad precedent which is continuing now.

Here's an analogy.. The Boston Braves, Milwaukee Braves, Atlanta Braves get bought and moved to San Diego, the name changed to the Burritos and the history dropped. Hank Aaron's banner isn't anywhere...his stats are not part of any team. It would suck.

I'm probably just old school in that regard...most people don't really have a historical perspective anymore.

Latest posts