The best and worst athlete of your home town

Spokane

Reaction score
The best...
Yes I could go with Ryan Sandberg, John Stockton, myself, or even Steve Emtman. However I am going old school (my old school) with Gerry Lindgren
Gerry was the fastest high school long distance runner in America. His 1-mile time of 4:01.5 was the 2nd fastest in history in 1964 and #8 all time among American high schoolers as of 2011...just an all around class act dude

The worst...
Thankfully Leaf or Stoffer were not from Spokane or they might have won. Nope, the winner of worst local athlete in Spokane history is Kevin Patrick.

He had an overall rating of around 4, (out of 100) The local news dubbed him as "The most overrated FB, OL, and LB Spokane junior varsity and varsity has ever seen"

Currently his best move is rover on the YMCA basketball court.

So who is the best and worst athlete from your hometown?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Best: Tonya Harding, Kevin Love, Terry Baker (Heisman trophy winner), Dale Murphy, Roddy Piper, Mel Renfro, Dick Fosbury

Worst: Zebulan Dak

Throwdown

Reaction score
I'm gonn a claim all of Tacoma for this.

Worst: It has to be Abdul Gaddy, that dudes a scrub.

Best: Mike Blowers went to my HS's rival lol

Shaz

Reaction score
Throwdown":3sncqjym said:
I'm gonn a claim all of Tacoma for this.

Worst: It has to be Abdul Gaddy, that dudes a scrub.

Best: Mike Blowers went to my HS's rival lol

Not even close for Tacoma

Best: Freddie Steele (The Tacoma Assassin) - World Middleweight Champ in Boxing 1936-38, Wins=125 (60 by KO). Losses=5 (3 by KO). Drawn=11. Total=141. (Blowers really?)

Worst - Dorian Boose - 2nd round pick of the Jets in 1998, 27 tackles and 0 sacks in his career, he played 4 seasons

jhawk91

Reaction score
Best- No clue maybe Craig Kelly or T.J. Olshie, or John L Cramer

Worst- Also no clue, probably either Mark Hendrickson or Kyle Kendrick (both mlb pitchers)

The Radish

Reaction score
Spokane":33iql10x said:
The best...
Yes I could go with Ryan Sandberg, John Stockton, myself, or even Steve Emtman. However I am going old school (my old school) with Gerry Lindgren
Gerry was the fastest high school long distance runner in America. His 1-mile time of 4:01.5 was the 2nd fastest in history in 1964 and #8 all time among American high schoolers as of 2011...just an all around class act dude

The worst...
Thankfully Leaf or Stoffer were not from Spokane or they might have won. Nope, the winner of worst local athlete in Spokane history is Kevin Patrick.

He had an overall rating of around 4, (out of 100) The local news dubbed him as "The most overrated FB, OL, and LB Spokane junior varsity and varsity has ever seen"

Currently his best move is rover on the YMCA basketball court.

So who is the best and worst athlete from your hometown?

Lindgren is not a bad choice. A strange guy but one of the worlds greatest runners. Even was the first American to beat the Russians. I clearly remember listening to the radio that day. He would do anything to help the school. I clearly remember him at football games selling programs and anything else handy.

His coach wanted him to work on his kick cause he was getting beat at the end. So he ran from Rogers High School over to Freya, down Freya all the way to 29th ave on the south hill, across 29th down the hill across the Maple Street Bridge to Francis, then back across Wellesley to Rogers, that's probably about 20 miles up hill one way. After that Tracy had him do wind sprints. A month later he outkicked the Russians in Europe cementing his spot as one of the top runners in the world.

But remember there is an NFL Super Bowl most valuable player from here in Mark Rypien.

And how about that school principal that won the Indianapolis 500 in 1981? Was second in 77-78-80 and was the first to qualify with laps over 200 mph, Was USAC Champ twice. They didn't call him the "Gas Man" for nothin'

:les:

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm probably the worst athlete to come out of my home town. ;)

jkitsune

Reaction score
Man, picking Abdul Gaddy for Tacoma isn't even fair. Dude's not even a professional (and won't be). Tons of awful non-professional athletes to choose from. Those kids from Tacoma who don't even get a scholarship are worse than Gaddy!

Incidentally, I'm from Port Orchard, WA (or at least that's where I identify with. I was born in Tacoma and initially lived in University Place).

Willie Bloomquist is EASILY the most successful athlete to come out of Port Orchard. Guy went to my high school, his sister lives next door to my parents, and I got a signed baseball from him as a kid. Love the guy as a result.

Worst? Hard to say. I'm not sure there are even any other athletes who came out of Port Orchard that went beyond the college level. Does that mean it's also Willie Bloomquist?

Spounge84

Reaction score
Being from Lacey my pick for best is pretty easy, it's not even close in fact. Kasey Keller.

Worst isn't as easy, though. It seems like everyone from this town who's gone pro has had at least some success. If I had to choose though, I'd go with Jerramy Stevens.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Best: Hope Solo, Brian Urlacher, Jeremy Bonderman, and the Hawks own Michael Jackson.

Worst: The fat, ginger kid on my 7year old daughter's soccer team.

taz291819

Reaction score
Don't have any really from within city limits, but from close by:

Walter Jones, Bo Jackson, Charles Barkley.

Throwdown

Reaction score
jkitsune":3e28gzqx said:
Man, picking Abdul Gaddy for Tacoma isn't even fair. Dude's not even a professional (and won't be). Tons of awful non-professional athletes to choose from. Those kids from Tacoma who don't even get a scholarship are worse than Gaddy!

We were never asked specifics lol, and he's a special kind of suck.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
Paul Skansi has to be the best from my hometown/high school. Technically he was born in Tacoma, but did his schooling in the Gig Harbor/Purdy area.

Have no clue who the worst one would be.

chris98251

Reaction score
Chris Chandler, Curt Marsh, Everett and Snohomish but it's all kinda of the same area, those are ones in my lifetime that I can remember, Teyo Johnson and Amon Gordon after I graduated went to my High School. To bad about Teyo, he if coaches could have decided on what position to play him may have been a very good player. QB,WR,DE,TE, they had him all over and he bounced around the NFL for a few years and CFL. We had Gordon on the Seahawks for a short time as Gordon was moving around some as well.